General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What was your motivation to start competing in Triathlons? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-06-16 9:49 AM

User image

Subject: What was your motivation to start competing in Triathlons?
I remember way back in the "beginning", watching what was probably one of the first Ironman's (I think it was just known as the Triathlon and the "Ironman" was the winner) when the race was still on Oahu. I was at work the next Monday morning when one of my co-workers, and avid cyclist came in and said "I saw this amazing event on TV. This called a Triathlon". I said "I know I watched it too." Well he was immediately hooked and started training like crazy. Unfortunately for him the driver of a Range Rover, not paying attention, pulled right out in front of him. The resulting crash and knee injury stopped his training and unfortunately ended his "Triathlon" dream. So reflecting on my co-workers decision and unfortunate accident I started to wonder what motivates people to slam their fist on the table and say "that's it, that is what I want to do".

For me it was watching my ill fated friend train so hard and become so fit. Plus I have the images of that "Ironman" back in the early 80s burned into my head. Is still remember some of the dialogue the commentators used. Now 30+ years on and after 20 years eating crap and exercise that consisted of mowing the grass, on my tractor, if have started training again. I've made many false starts over the past decade or so. But my failures all came down to my need for instant gratification. I wanted to be 160lbs, NOW! I wasn't prepared to wait. Hopefully this time is different. I understand I have family commitments and sometimes my daughter's dance lessons come before going for a run. I now understand and accept it is going to be a long journey. I'm just trying to make everything a habit and I don't even have another event planned until May 2017. It will take time, but I will get there.

But I am really interested about how the people of this community got into such a great sport and what motivates them to continue. Please share you motivation and experiences.

2016-06-16 10:01 AM
in reply to: NealeinMI

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Subject: RE: What was your motivation to start competing in Triathlons?
I came for the weight loss, I stayed because I enjoy the lifestyle (and the races a little too).
2016-06-16 10:26 AM

User image

Aledo, Texas

I come from a running background. When I moved to Texas, my running options became much more limited, and I felt like I had progressed about as far as I could in running. This led to a lack of motivation. A triathlon specific store opened near my house, and it got me thinking about the variety and challenges involved in multisport. It was a good decision - I am really enjoying my training in all three disciplines now.

2016-06-16 10:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

I wanted to lose some weight so I started in the gym in 1999.  That got a bit boring, so I started doing road cycling with a friend back in 2001. I wanted to learn how to swim, so signing up with Team in Training for a triathlon provided that forcing function along with a coach. That was back in 2003.

What keeps me motivated?  I like training and I like racing. I could go on and on describing the incredible life experiences I've had being an endurance athlete.

The other day I was on vacation in Oahu and ran five miles around the base of Diamondhead.  Absolutely breathtaking.  I could never have enjoyed that experience if I didn't run, and I wouldn't run if I wasn't a triathlete.

I was in Hawaii to race the half-Ironman on the big island on June 4th.  Again, absolutely breathtaking race environment.  1.2 mile swim in the ocean, then a 56 mile bike ride in the lava fields with ocean views.  Something of a crappy run on a golf course, but at least it was a unique run experience. 

Running along the Seine in Paris to the Eiffel Tower while marathon training. 

Running the Mount Desert Island marathon alongside the Atlantic in Maine. 

Riding the mountain roads in northern NY for IM Lake Placid.

Swimming in the Gulf of California for IM Los Cabos. 

Bicycling the Beeline Highway in the desert north of Tempe, AZ. I've done IM Arizona four times. Incredible.

Running the Central Park Loop in NYC every time I visit.  Once I ran the 6 mile loop twice, just because it was such a glorious spring day and hell, I could run it twice. 

Running through the Fremont Street Experience during the Rock and Roll Las Vegas marathon.

Training with my youngest daughter for the 203 mile Seattle to Portland two day bike ride, when she was a junior in high school. Then we did it again the following summer. The joy she experienced the last 25 miles riding into Portland, going faster and faster, as she realized that we were going to finish hours before her goal time. It puts tears in my eyes remembering that moment. 

This is why I'm an endurance athlete and why I train and race.  Thanks for asking.

Edited by brucemorgan 2016-06-16 10:41 AM
2016-06-16 10:38 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
It was 2004 and I was online shopping for a bathing suit. I saw "trisuits" and wondered what that was all about, then saw Kate Allen kick to an amazing gold medal finish during the Athens Olympic coverage. I did a mini later that summer. I'd love to say it was love from there, but honestly I faffed about for the next 10 or more years, occasionally phoning in enough training to drag my lazy butt across a finish line. It wasn't until last year that I realized I had some goals, codified them, put a plan together, and decided to see what happened when I did the work. I had a great "comeback" race earlier this month, and I really have been bitten by the bug now. The only regret I have is that I didn't get my head out of my butt sooner. I could have been having such fun all this time?!
2016-06-16 10:59 AM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Did a sprint 5 years ago on a lark (race day registration). Was immediately hooked since then.

Came from a competitive swimming background so that helped a lot.

2016-06-16 10:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
I came from a competitive running background and a very dedicated recreational cycling background. But I did not have a swim training background, just loved being in the water (hot Calif summers, etc.)

I liked running a lot, but did not want to just run run run. Anything, even super fun things, if overdone can get old
I liked swimming, but had never really trained and competed.
I liked biking a lot, but ... previous to tri, I had a period of maybe 6 months that I only biked. Then I played some vigorous frisbee and was amazed at how sore I was (how sore my running muscles were) the next day. That made me realize that the benefits of cross training are big. Being a really fit in one sport is great, but you are still going to be quite weak in most any other activity.

So, I signed up for a few olympic distance races, and did well in spite of being BOP in the swimming (at the time). The whole experience got me hooked, and now I even get to do work in the sport !

Greg @ dsw

Edited by DarkSpeedWorks 2016-06-16 11:03 AM
2016-06-16 11:33 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Ummm.....There was never really that table-pounding moment for me. It was more like a slow slide! As a matter of fact, one of my first swim coaches was one of the early Ironman. He often trained with us and between early media coverage of the sport like Julie Moss's collapse, and seeing the total dedication that he put into every workout, it actually scared me off the whole sport for decades, although I loved swimming and running and did quite well at both, especially the latter. I thought that all tris were full IM, which might possibly have been close to the truth back in the 70's and 80's, and that those people were just nuts. So I stuck to age-group swimming, road races, and, later, track, cross-country, and marathons.

I only started triathlon at 41, after a couple of decades of sporadic recreational running post-college. I decided to get back into shape to do a half-marathon at Angkor Wat in Cambodia (after I started working in Vietnam), struggled with running due to lack of fitness, tropical heat, and some nagging niggles from a couple of accidents decades ago, and joined a master's swim club that had started at my workplace. Several of the other swimmers, including two colleagues, were triathletes, and were training for an off-road event that spring. I was basically shamed into my first triathlon by my teammates and the coach. ("You can swim and you can run. Don't tell me you're 41 years old and you don't know how to ride a bike!)

My first tri was not really a roaring success but somehow it got me hooked. My first tri-buddy made the wise suggestion that I might enjoy and do better at longer events that weren't off-road (I'm a klutz--the world is safer without me on an MTB trail), and that was true. Sometimes I could kick myself that I didn't get into tri in my teens or twenties, though I'm not sure outside of IM that there was much tri to get into back then. If I could have learned to ride a bike fast, my run and swim speed back then might well have let me into the pro ranks. Sadly, too old and slow now. But there is always age-group competition.......It is basically an excuse to get outside, and do three sports that I love. Sometimes I think it is good that unlike running, I don't really have any past times to compare myself to--anything that I am able to do surprises me.
2016-06-16 11:47 AM

User image

Peer pressure from the triathletes on my Masters Swim Team.

(Disclosure: I have't competed, yet, but I will this summer )
2016-06-16 12:11 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Denver, Colorado
I started new job and one of my co-workers (who later became my best friend) was training for HM. She asked if I was into running and wanted to train with her. We both got injured in the middle of our HM training (so many things we did wrong...) and only completed 5 and 10k's that year. In January of the following year we decided to take it serious and train for HM again. She sent me a link to Chicago Triathlon and asked if that would be a good idea. I replied: girl, you know it's swimming and biking before running....?? She said: yea, but it's sprint distance, so swim is 750 m and we have 8 months to learn how to swim. Biking - you know how to bike already. And run is only 5k, which we have already mastered.
I did not need more arguments, I signed up and started the training. I loved it so much I gave up HM training and focused on TRI only
2016-06-16 12:20 PM
in reply to: gary p

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
My Dr. told me I had to do something to ease my stress and suggested running. I did tell him that I hated running but I did run for a month, and entered a 5km run. I still didnt "love running" and I was always a casual mountain biker and swam competitively for only a year when I was 12 so naturally I signed up for the Muskoka 70.3 11 months out. I did do a couple of tris leading up to the half Ironman and a couple of half marathons but I pretty much did go couch to HIM in 1 year. Since then I have gravitated back to offroad stuff doing primarily Xterras, offroad CX style rides and trail running.

2016-06-16 12:28 PM

Originally posted by NealeinMI

I remember way back in the "beginning"...

Ditto...

To just about everything you said.
2016-06-16 12:38 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Sensei
Sin City

They seemed challenging - I like being challenged.. 

2016-06-16 12:41 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Originally posted by DaveL

• ........I did run for a month, and entered a 5km run. I still didnt "love running" and I was always a casual mountain biker and swam competitively for only a year when I was 12 so naturally I signed up for the Muskoka 70.3 11 months out. ........

• Love it. Bite off more than you can chew and then chew like crazy.
    2016-06-16 1:52 PM

User image

Watched the same race on TV you were talking about.  Always dreamed about doing one.  Once I got out of school I packed on some weight.  On the flight during a golf trip with some of my friends I asked one of them if they still swam.  I mentioned always wanting to do a tri.  They all laughed because I have always hated running.  That kind of pissed me off. A few months later I started swimming just to get back in shape.   About a year later a friend asked me to do the swim for a relay team he was putting together.  After that I was hooked.  Signed up for a race that week.  7 years later still at it. 

2016-06-16 1:56 PM

User image

Veteran
    Great White North
    Something to do after swimming in college.

2016-06-16 3:21 PM

User image

Master
    Washington, DC Metro

The challenge mostly.  I started running (again) at 33 and deicded to do the Marine Corps Marathon as my "goal"  I figured that it would be a one and done type of thing but I kept running fairly regularlly after that.  At 36 I said what the he!! and registered for it again.  At that point I was hooked and ran 2-3 a year after that.  It had gotten to the point where I was always "training" for my next marathon, even doing 6 in a 13 month stretch along the way.  After a few years of that it had gotten to the point where I could concievably run a marathon on any given weekend and I wanted to be challenged.  So I decided that I'd do a half ironman for my 40th birthday.  From that point I became hooked on tris and here I am.

2016-06-16 4:00 PM

User image

Champion
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Bronze member

I'd lost 35 pounds and got into shape for a backpacking trip in 2005.  I remember my first workout (11/01/2004) was getting on the elliptical we'd just bought for "15 easy minutes."  Half way through that workout, I wasn't sure I'd even make 15 minutes and I really was going easy!  In April 2005, I'd lost most of the weight and the weather was nice, so I went for a run instead of doing 45 hard minutes on the elliptical.  

With the mountains behind me, I liked being in shape.  I was still running every day and my buddy suggested I start doing road races...10K's and maybe a half marathon...Nothankyou, I don't like running that much...but...I did like the idea of doing a triathlon because I like riding a bike and I liked swimming even though I never did either competitively.  

I'd seen the Ironman coverage on TV and even guarded for the swim portion of a triathlon way back in 1982/3/4?  

Here it is my 11th season.  I'm just getting back into training with my first sprint in 3 years this Saturday (on way too little training).  I've done all distances as well as marathons, ultra-marathons, century bike rides, and open water swims.  

I've recruited a number of people to the sport (and to BT) and I've mentored triathletes.  I'm proud of the protege's who have stuck with the training in spite of weight or fitness plateaus. I'm proud of the protege's who've adapted to aging and injury.  

2016-06-16 9:35 PM
    in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Silicon Valley
    My daughter asked if I would help her set up a tent at a local sprint tri for the American Diabetes Association. I remembered Kona from a few decades ago so I decided to stick around and watch. To be honest I was a bit embarrassed to see people much more out of shape doing it. One finisher was 82.

So there I was 5'11" & 250# and thought this was something I could do. I started training on a 35# mountain bike. Found a race that was far enough out that I felt I could get ready for. 8 months later and 60# lighter I did my first race. That was four years ago.

Getting hit by a car and losing a full year due to multiple surgeries including a full hip replacement notwithstanding, I still love it. Doing my first IM later this year.
    2016-06-17 6:58 AM

User image

Champion
    Tacoma, Washington

I was a new college student in the fall of 1982, going for my first marathon, and got injured along the way. I did it anyway, and blew up in spectacular fashion at the predictable 19 mile mark. But the rehab from that injury put me in the pool. I'd been a decent swimmer, though never did it for competition. The guys in the pool told me to get a bike (I had one, but it wasn't all that nice). So in the spring of '83 I bought my first decent bike -- a Trek 560 with Suntour Cyclone. Then I went to Alaska for the summer, and entered a 10K when I got back.

Then ABC Wide World of Sports happened, and I knew I wanted to try it. At that time the race calendar was sparse, and didn't start until late June, which gave me exactly one race each year before I shipped off to Alaska for the summer. But I pointed my training all year towards that one event, and I did pretty well against all comers. Then graduation happened and I suddenly had a summer-full calendar from which to choose... Why not pick them all?

That gets us to the spring/summer of 1988, and I was whole-hog for many years.

2016-06-17 7:19 AM

Sarasota, Florida
    Good thread but that's sad about your friend.

I remember in elementary school when I learned about triathlon I thought it was cool and had a super hero persona where triathletes seemed limitless like you couldn't throw anything at them that would defeat them. I had my doubts I'd ever achieve something like that but thought it was cool and kept it on a mental bucket list. As a kid I enjoyed biking. Some Saturdays I would spend 2 hours just bicycling around the surrounding neighborhoods doing laps as my friends made fun of me and asked where I was going. I started running for recreation and kept this up throughout high school but never did anything competitively due to other commitments. Kept biking and running until my mid 30s but got bored and started running to the pool and back then started doing the bike and treadmill in the gym which reminded me. Why on earth have I never done a triathlon? I decided to look into it and told my wife I was interested and she said it was a terrible idea and I was too old and of course that just made me register.

Not much of a story but that's how it went for me.

2016-06-17 8:34 AM

User image

I had just gone through a divorce. We had been together since we were 21 and here I was at 42 single again. After sitting around wallowing in sadness and bitterness I decided I needed to get out of the house and do something with my life. I pulled out my 1986 12 speed Marinoni road bike with downtube shifters and toe clips and did an olympic triathlon. I ended up doing 5 olympic tris that first season. That fall I bought a Specialized Tarmac and clipped on some aerobars and the journey began. The next year it was 3 olympic tris and 2 half Ironmans. Now it is 2-3 full Ironman races each year, a couple marathons each year and 3-4 half marathons each year. I am going to do a 100 mile and a 150 mile ultra next year. Here I am at 47 in the best shape of my life and I am loving the training and racing. I swim 3x a week, run 4x a week and bike 4x a week every week of the year. It is now a lifestyle. I have met amazing people and been to amazing places that I never would have seen if it wasn't for triathlon.
    2016-06-17 9:15 AM
    in reply to: Sous

User image

Cypress, Texas

I was a runner 30 years before switching to triathlon.  I have a younger brother that did two full Ironman races in 2002 but was focused on improving my 5K PR at that point of my life and didn't give up on that until about 2008.   After giving up on ever being about to break 17:00 minutes in the 5K again I started doing marathons.  I focused on Full Marathons for about two years but really wasn't very good at anything over about 17-18 miles so I focused on 1/2 marathons until 2012.  I did an Ultra Ragnar Relay in 2013 with four of my cousins and one sibling but I was getting in a training rut and after my Ragnar in September of 2013 I to 10 months off from running.  In June of 2014 I was reading our company newsletter and there was an article about the "Triathlete Community" in our global company and had the contact for a Scottish man working in the UAE.  I contacted him and got added to a unofficial Multisport and Endurance Sport Facebook group.  I had considered doing triathlons in 2012 because of my younger brother who had done the full Ironmans but didn't have any one to mentor me or help me get into the sport. The FaceBook group of people in my company that were doing Triathlons was really great.  The Scottish man in the UK was transferred to Houston in 2014 but not before qualifying for Kona at Ironman South Africa.  The dozen or so triathletes in the company were very active on the facebook groups following the Scott's training and preparation for Kona.  I think they were living their dreams vicariously through the him because after Kone in 2014 the group's activity has been about zero, but in August of 2014 I really impressed with the group and decided that I wanted to find a small local Sprint Tri to sign up for.   It was too late in the season to be ready for the last fall races of the year, so I looked to the spring and found a 70.3 race in my hometown of 5,000 people that was set for the following April.  I really didn't know if I could do a 70.3 but knew I needed to start somewhere so I started with my strength of running to get back in shape and did an 8 weeks training program for a 5K.  I made a lot of progress in 8 weeks but was NOT in running shape after 10 months off when I did the 5K but was first place over all out of about 40 participants.  I then started an 8 week training program for the local 1/2 Marathon.  By the half marathon my running legs were coming back and I finished 2nd over all in that race out of close to 300 people.  I then spent about 3 weeks trying to figure out how to train for a Triathlon. and new year 2015 got a 4 month gym membership to the only place in town with a pool and started swimming.  I also pulled out my 20+ year old mountain bike that I hadn't been on in about 10 years out of the garage and started riding.  Training when really good and after a few weeks I went a head and signed up for the 70.3 triathlon.  I got up to about 10 hours of training a week before my first race and found that I really liked rotating the running with cycling and swimming.  I feel that I did really well in my first 70.3 and decided that I would give the running a break and focus on Triathlon for a while.  I have now done two 70.3 races and am looking for my next race. 

2016-06-17 9:17 AM

4 years ago I was 5'8" and 210 lbs. My sons and I cooked up an idea to do a 60 mile navigation "hike" through some of the roughest terrain in Idaho, the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness. We were going to do this the following summer. I needed to get in shape, so I started run/walking. I remember running to a tree or stop sign, and then walking, etc. Through the Fall and Winter I kept building my fitness. I was ready for the hike! Only problem is that life got in the way. The next summer no one's schedule could match up, and we never did the hike. I just kept on running and running. 2 years ago, I was training for a half marathon, and injured my tibia pretty good. I was out for 8 weeks, basically back to square one. Doctor said maybe I should think about "mixing it up" and find something enjoyable that was not all running. Hello Triathlon and here I am. I'm not trying to go longer all the time, but trying to get better at what I do, and this is my motivation. I do Sprints, Duathlons, and 10K's. This Spring, after a dozen 10K's, I nailed my PR. Felt pretty good.

One last note. No matter what else, in this process, I lost 44 pounds, got off my high blood pressure meds, and dropped my total cholesterol from 207 to 160, with a much higher percentage of that being the "good cholesterol". I also have 3 friends who have had knee replacements prior to hitting 58 years old. I thank God for what He has given me....the motivation to do this.

I'm not an Ironman, and never will be. I will never make a dime doing tri's. But, while not the best triathlete, I'm not the worst.....but still, I AM a triathlete.
    2016-06-17 12:57 PM

User image

Pro
    Husker Nation
    Honestly, for me it was watching my brother-in-law do a duathlon. It was on a Sunday morning and his parents work at the church so they asked us to go spectate in their stead as a show of family support. I loved it and immediately got bit by the multisport bug, and I like swimming, so triathlon was a great fit. 1 month after his Du we did a team tri with him as the biker, my wife running, and me swimming. The next year I did the same tri but individually. Have had several "off" years due to family and work stuff interfering with proper training (and let's face it--laziness) but I'm on an upswing this year as far as consistency so I'm hoping I can keep the mojo going.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What was your motivation to start competing in Triathlons? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Another Season Done Before it Starts-Motivation Needed

Started by slow triathlete
    Views: 1801 Posts: 20

2016-06-16 12:52 PM NealeinMI

Now that race season is over I am lacking motivation

Started by Becca4277
    Views: 2850 Posts: 18

2011-11-18 10:22 AM Dorm57

motivation starting to decrease

Started by hollyhampton
    Views: 1143 Posts: 22

2011-06-22 1:45 PM Coasterx

Need motivation for early am workouts

Started by nell1217
    Views: 1371 Posts: 14

2005-06-28 5:12 PM trimom3

For those that started not long ago - a question that could serve as motivation Pages: 1 2

Started by cobannero
    Views: 2290 Posts: 31

2005-01-12 10:27 PM Daytona Bill
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : May 31, 2016
    author : rjcalhoun
    comments : 5
    From heavy, stressed business owner to triathlete

date : November 29, 2011
    author : trmat79
    comments : 2
    A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges
    date : May 5, 2008
    author : TriPainter
    comments : 1
    I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : August 22, 2006
    author : Team BT
    comments : 0
    Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.
    date : June 21, 2006
    author : Ron
    These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : February 28, 2005
    author : rautorino
    Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.