General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long Swim giving head pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-26 2:42 PM

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
Subject: Long Swim giving head pain
So when i start swimming anywhere around 3km my head above my left eyes starts to hurt.

Figured it was because my goggles were too tight so i loosened them. didn't fix it.

Then i went and bought smaller goggles. Vorgee i think they were called. I was using cheap ones before. Didn't help. Made it worse actually.

Now i went and bought a set of goggles that look like a snorkelling mask lol. they are huge and hurt my pride. Anyway i have been wearing them and they

feel like they are going to hurt too.

Anyone have this problem? if so please tell me your secret. I have a 11 km swim coming up this weekend and i don't feel like having head pain lol.

2016-06-26 6:03 PM
in reply to: #5188615

User image

Subject: RE: Long Swim giving head pain
Perhaps you have your head tucked too low and you are trying to look "up" or straight ahead for too long and thats straining some muscles.

Are you wearing a swim cap? If so maybe that's culprit?

J White
2016-06-26 7:39 PM
in reply to: Jwse30

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
Nah thats not it.. I did manage to find some stuff online regarding this stuff. Apparently its kind of common in distance swimming.

They recommend using the bigger goggles that look absolutely ridiculous lol. I'm going to give them a try sometime this week and ill update the thread if it

works.
2016-06-26 7:59 PM
in reply to: zombie2212

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Probably a matter of experimenting with different goggles until you get it right. My guess is they are putting pressure on a facial nerve or something. It could also be more of a migraine issue--exercise-induced migraines are pretty common. There are meds for this, but often they can be prevented without resorting to that. You might check that you're hydrating adequately during the workout (many people seem to think you don't need to drink during a swim workout, but actually, you sweat in the water!) and fueling enough beforehand and afterward. I tend to do better if I have some caffeine in my system before a hard workout.

Lights (sunlight or artificial) and poor ventilation can also be headache triggers. If swimming outside, try tinted, polarized goggles. For me, sometimes overly bright lights or poor ventilation in the pool will trigger migraine-type symptoms, especially after really intense workouts. Maybe try another pool if the goggles don't work out?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long Swim giving head pain Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim Coaches or those trying to give swim advice

Started by RBesecke
Views: 1014 Posts: 5

2011-06-15 7:22 AM kajinsky

Nose clips and head pain while swimming

Started by hooslisa
Views: 2052 Posts: 8

2008-08-06 12:56 PM E=H2O

Knee Pain - Moving Around - What Gives?

Started by joannh13
Views: 6674 Posts: 3

2006-08-23 2:29 PM joannh13

Any ideas for Shoulder/Neck/Head Pain?

Started by First_Tri
Views: 814 Posts: 3

2005-05-02 3:49 AM splerph

pain in the head while swimming

Started by CLLinIA
Views: 10674 Posts: 25

2010-02-07 10:20 AM turtlegirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2014
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
Is there an ideal head position? The criteria below will give you a general idea of when you know you have found your sweet spot for head position.

date : November 12, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
On the long bike rides of 80+ miles I get very strong pain in my toes. I slow down my pace and I might recover, but when I hit the next hill it is back. Could this be some kind of circulation issue?
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : October 1, 2006
author : Ontherun
Many of us race, and some race a lot, but when was the last time you gave something back to the sport of triathlon?
date : September 3, 2006
author : AMSSM
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.