General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Suggested intervals for swim training for Olympic distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-26 6:53 PM

Subject: Suggested intervals for swim training for Olympic distance
I am looking for some good ideas for my swim training for an upcoming race. Besides the long swims what are some good interval workouts? 10 x 100 or 5 x 200s?

Thanks,

Greg

2016-06-26 7:36 PM
in reply to: VAgreg1

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Suggested intervals for swim training for Olympic distance
It really depends on what level of swimmer you are. If a confident swimmer and just wanting to build endurance and maintain fitness, those sets are fine. If you're still working on the basics, you might be better off doing more shorter repeats, such as 50's and even 25's, focusing on aspects of form that you are working on. If it's just variety you're looking for, Sara MacLarty's master's website has several years of archived workouts; many are triathlete-oriented. They come in three levels--A, B, and C. The "easiest" (C?) usually totals about 2000-2500m and should be plenty for most people wanting to complete an Olympic Tri. The B workouts are suitable for half-ironman training, or more confident swimmers who want to place well in a sprint or Oly swim (most workouts in the 3000-3600m range). "A" is more for hard-core masters' swimmers or IM training (4-5K at a fast clip).
2016-06-26 8:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
2016-06-26 11:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Ventura, California

Originally posted by simpsonbo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sNkqA1h4QA

Interesting your video has Dave Walters in it. 2009 Olympic gold medalist. He is a life guard at Santa Monica beach now and I just had a open ocean swim session with him last weekend. Haha.

Originally posted by VAgreg1 I am looking for some good ideas for my swim training for an upcoming race. Besides the long swims what are some good interval workouts? 10 x 100 or 5 x 200s? Thanks, Greg

To the OP, I would mix up your sets with warm ups, skill builders(high elbow catch, sighting, breathing, etc), speed play, cool down etc.. Also keep in mind that being good and fast in the pool is great, but most Triathlon swims are held in open water and it is alot different from pool swimming. I would even go so far as to say open ocean swimming is its own beast entirely as you have waves, currents, rip tides, swells and the fact that salt water is dense and can be like swimming through lead. 

So in essence there is no one interval set that is going to work universally. I would first think about where is this swim at, a lake, pool, ocean etc and then model your practice based on that. Then start working on skills such as sighting, there is no thick black line on the bottom of the lake/ocean, etc.. Breathing is important, I first did right side breathing and was swimming across everybody in my first tri. Then I learned 3 stroke bi-lateral breathing, worked great in the pool, absolutely worthless in the ocean! (not enough oxygen as the workload doubled or tripled fighting the waves getting out past the surfline and then the heavier water along with swells, etc

Today I practiced breathing every stroke to the right for 3 strokes, then back into a 3 stoke bi pattern and then breathing every stroke on the left for 3 strokes, then add in sighting 3-4 times every 25yrds! I was all over the place, felt so awkward. BUT that is why is called swim practice.

Anyways, take all this with a grain of salt, I still struggle with swimming, but I think I can say no routine is cut and dry for everyone and certain conditions will dictate the type of swim practice you engage in.

Best Wishes

Edited by rjcalhoun 2016-06-26 11:13 PM
2016-06-27 10:26 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by Hot Runner

It really depends on what level of swimmer you are. If a confident swimmer and just wanting to build endurance and maintain fitness, those sets are fine. If you're still working on the basics, you might be better off doing more shorter repeats, such as 50's and even 25's, focusing on aspects of form that you are working on. If it's just variety you're looking for, Sara MacLarty's master's website has several years of archived workouts; many are triathlete-oriented. They come in three levels--A, B, and C. The "easiest" (C?) usually totals about 2000-2500m and should be plenty for most people wanting to complete an Olympic Tri. The B workouts are suitable for half-ironman training, or more confident swimmers who want to place well in a sprint or Oly swim (most workouts in the 3000-3600m range). "A" is more for hard-core masters' swimmers or IM training (4-5K at a fast clip).

Totally agree with this! I'm prepping for my first Oly in September and do Sara McLarty's C workouts. Her stuff is never boring, it keeps my focused, I've seen improvement, and best of all, there are years worth of free archived workouts to choose from. Enjoy!
2016-06-27 1:48 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I used Sara McLarty's workouts before I joined my Masters group.  I thought they were pretty good.  A lot of variety and they never got too boring.

In training for an Oly I mostly would do shorter sets of 25's, 50's and 100's, either working on technique, or swimming on challenging intervals.  I might do a race distance swim once a few weeks beforehand for psychological/confidence reasons and to get a baseline on my performance.  

Other than that, the longest sessions might be an occasional 4 x 400 at "race pace" with a short rest between  the 400's.

My goal for an Oly swim was always to swim smoothly and efficiently.  Get into a comfortable rhythm and not push things until the second half of the race.  I liked to think of it as just a controlled swim from point A to point B and not a race per se.  As always, the worst thing is going out too fast.

Good luck 

Mark

2016-06-27 3:45 PM

User image

It really depends where you currently are, and how far out your race is. Are you trying to just get to the point where you can survive the 1500 swim and get to the bike, or do you have a baseline 1500 speed that you're trying to improve up? Are you technically proficient enough that you'll benefit from demanding capacity building sets, or would you benefit more from sets that were more technique focused? Do you have 6 months in which you can improve your ability, or are you just a few weeks out and need to solidify your current capacity into an appropriate race day effort?
2016-06-27 10:59 PM
in reply to: gary p

Not try to highjack, but Gary what would you suggest for the person just trying to get through the distance?
2016-06-28 1:44 PM
in reply to: cdoug55

User image

Originally posted by cdoug55

Not try to highjack, but Gary what would you suggest for the person just trying to get through the distance?

I have more ideas about what to improve your 1500 pace than how to get a new swimmer to complete a 1500. That said, I would suggest starting by working towards being able to complete a 1500 broken by 100's. Select a send-off interval that allows you to do a 100 at a moderate pace and still get ~30 seconds rest, and begin. The idea is to hold a reasonably steady pace all the way through the set. If you come in more than 3 seconds behind your pace target, take an extra minute rest and resume. Go until you get to 15 or you miss your pace +3 seconds 3 times, which ever comes first.

If you get to at least 9 before failing 3 times, you're probably on the right pace. Do the same set the next workout and try to get a little further. If you fail 3 times before getting to 9, your pace target may be a little too quick. Back it down a second or two for the next workout and try again.

Once you successfully complete 15 before failing 3 times, you have options. Go for more than 15. Go for shorter rest intervals. Go for a faster pace. Go for longer segments (12 x 125, 10 x 150, 8 x 200, 7 x 250, etc). Alternate between the different options. Whatever way you go, if you can do 15x100 on fairly short rest, you're most of the way there to being able to do a 1500 straight.
2016-06-28 2:29 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

This is a nice plan that have plenty of positive reviews:

http://ruthkazez.com/swimming/ZeroTo1mile.html

I started following it and got to week 4. Then I moved to the "50x50" where you basically do sets of 50 (yards of meters). The trick is to have only 5 seconds (or breaths) of rest between each set. I am only doing those 50s now, the longest shot I do once in a while is 100. I completed two 750 sprints with only this exercise.
1,650 Oly distance is 33 sets of 50. I also found it helps me with keeping the good form and steady pace, and my time decreased from 3+ min to 2 minutes per 100.
I am coming with 0 swimming background and learned freestyle just few months ago. The longest I've done was 30 repetitions of 50. When I exit swim after the 750 sprint race I don't feel tired, fatigue, or that I "survived". Just another few reasons to like the 50x50 thing
2016-06-28 9:48 PM
in reply to: marysia83

Thanks Gary! I will def give that a try at some point when I get back to the pool on a regular basis. So lets say my average 100m pace is 2:05 per 100m. So you are saying pick a 2:35 send off right and if i come in at 2:08 or more then I should deem that as a miss?

Mary, I was actually following that zero to 1 mile plan before I stopped swimming regularly a couple months ago and will probably go back to that because it seemed like it was helping. . Ill give your 50x50 a shot as well to mix it up. Do you just keep doing 50s until your wiped out?

2016-06-28 10:55 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Thanks Gary! I will def give that a try at some point when I get back to the pool on a regular basis. So lets say my average 100m pace is 2:05 per 100m. So you are saying pick a 2:35 send off right and if i come in at 2:08 or more then I should deem that as a miss?

Mary, I was actually following that zero to 1 mile plan before I stopped swimming regularly a couple months ago and will probably go back to that because it seemed like it was helping. . Ill give your 50x50 a shot as well to mix it up. Do you just keep doing 50s until your wiped out?

I was originally planning to have first day of training week to be 50x50 and the next 2 or 3 days according to 1-1,650 plan, but I moved to 50x50 completely.
I always set a goal for myself, based on knowing my abilities, and I try to follow one number for the whole week and increase it in the next week. For example: last week i was doing 20x50, this week 25x50, next week 30x50, and so on.
I have to admit, sometimes I do not get to even 15x50 and I decide to stop IF I see that my form gets weaker. The last think you want to happen is to get used to bad habits. And for me the fatigue is due to various reasons: I did not eat well, I overtrained the day before (and did not have enough nutrition), I'm sick, etc. So anytime I feel that lack of energy affects my stroke/form, I either take longer breaks (7-10 seconds) or stop for that day.

Next week I'm planning to have my first open water experience of 1,200+ and will let you know how it went with relying only on the 50x50 training.
2016-06-29 4:26 AM
in reply to: #5188642

Sarasota, Florida
I have an Oly coming up but can only squeeze 30 min pool sessions in due to the long drive. I never place well in the swim but hope building up to 15-18x100 is obtainable and sufficient.
2016-06-29 9:53 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by marysia83
Originally posted by cdoug55 Thanks Gary! I will def give that a try at some point when I get back to the pool on a regular basis. So lets say my average 100m pace is 2:05 per 100m. So you are saying pick a 2:35 send off right and if i come in at 2:08 or more then I should deem that as a miss? Mary, I was actually following that zero to 1 mile plan before I stopped swimming regularly a couple months ago and will probably go back to that because it seemed like it was helping. . Ill give your 50x50 a shot as well to mix it up. Do you just keep doing 50s until your wiped out?
I was originally planning to have first day of training week to be 50x50 and the next 2 or 3 days according to 1-1,650 plan, but I moved to 50x50 completely. I always set a goal for myself, based on knowing my abilities, and I try to follow one number for the whole week and increase it in the next week. For example: last week i was doing 20x50, this week 25x50, next week 30x50, and so on. I have to admit, sometimes I do not get to even 15x50 and I decide to stop IF I see that my form gets weaker. The last think you want to happen is to get used to bad habits. And for me the fatigue is due to various reasons: I did not eat well, I overtrained the day before (and did not have enough nutrition), I'm sick, etc. So anytime I feel that lack of energy affects my stroke/form, I either take longer breaks (7-10 seconds) or stop for that day. Next week I'm planning to have my first open water experience of 1,200+ and will let you know how it went with relying only on the 50x50 training.

I think that what you've outlined above is key to any adult-onset swimmer being successful:  go as hard and as long as you can, but don't let your form break down.  If it does, go slower or rest more.

As for Oly sets, I think doing anywhere from 15-20 x 100 w/ :10s rest at your target race pace will do, subject to the above condition.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Suggested intervals for swim training for Olympic distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Overlapping Marathon Training and Olympic Distance Training

Started by The Bearded Triathle
Views: 2002 Posts: 12

2014-12-31 11:45 AM d.wilk

swim intervals vs. run or bike intervals

Started by LarchmontTri
Views: 1287 Posts: 4

2014-03-05 9:48 AM LarchmontTri

Swimming - closer to race day should I do intervals or distance training

Started by spiderjunior
Views: 1237 Posts: 5

2013-06-22 7:41 AM spiderjunior

Suggested trainer workouts for Olympic distance racing

Started by spandex68
Views: 1247 Posts: 21

2009-08-07 11:46 AM spandex68

Rest intervals in swim training

Started by mammatri's
Views: 1574 Posts: 9

2009-03-22 5:41 AM rottieguy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : December 4, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 5
I really want to do an Olympic distance but I feel it is a little too far right now. Which training plan should I follow? The sprint sounds too easy for what I'm doing but the Olympic seems too much?
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 3, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on getting faster than 1:35/100m, IM swim training, counting strokes and improving an Olympic distance swim.
date : August 7, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 3
After your first triathlon, how many days off should you take to rest? How should you start your training again?

date : November 6, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Interval training is essential to improving your swim time. Here are a few examples of setting up your swim interval training.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
History of the triathlon and distances.