General Discussion Triathlon Talk » EBay bike buying Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-27 7:44 PM

Veteran
New York, Connecticut
Subject: EBay bike buying
Has anyone ever bought a bike on eBay. I currently found a bike I like but its hard for me to pull the trigger on spending $3000 on a bike that I haven't gotten on. I know the size I am and the condition of the bike looks great. They are telling me only has 30 miles on it.

one thing I have a question/concern about is the warranty. If I buy a bike secondary do I still have a warranty on the bike?

anything else I should be aware of buying a bike on EBAY??

2016-06-27 9:25 PM
in reply to: husse23

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: EBay bike buying
Warranty usually only applies to the original buyer, if you haven't purchased a bike on eBay before then you are probably over paying. You can find some screaming deals on there if you wait. Post up a link if you can and maybe we can offer some more advice.
2016-06-28 5:48 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
+1^

I buy all my bikes from ebay or forums. (Any reasonable 51 P4's out there? I'll buy another ) and so long as you go into understanding the bike is USED (unless it's listed otherwise) and you don't expect it to be brand new, you'll probably be fine.

Buy only from somebody with consistently good feedback.
Never believe mileage statements on bikes... I've never seen anyone ride around with an odometer. And who cares?
Look for damages in pictures, ask for more pictures if you aren't sure. Almost every bike with ANY age on it you can assume has at the very least fell over when someone leaned it up against a wall, forgot to unclip at a stop light, fell while they were airing up the tire, etc. Most people (especially those selling the bike) don't consider that a wreck, but you should still assume it's met the ground at least once or twice in it's life.
Make sure you read the full ad and understand EXACTLY what you are buying. Are you getting a frame? Complete Bike? A Bike Box? Does it come with the components it has in the pictures, or was that a picture from their last Ironman and you are getting a stripped down part of it?

Obviously always use paypal and go through official channels in ebay. As soon as you get an email asking you to buy outside ebay or something else fishy walk away.
2016-06-28 7:47 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I have purchased 2 bikes from E-bay.  I call both purchases successful.  I put over 5000 miles on the tri-bike (still have it).  I passed the road bike along to a buddy.  

My approach to E-bay bikes:  Don't buy something where you aren't prepared to throw away the entire purchase price if the bike isn't what you thought it would be.  My road bike was around $100 and the tri bike $500.  It would have been painful to toss $500 away and I've been quite lucky to not have to do so.  

Can you salvage a purchase?  Probably, if you're inclined to swap stuff from the purchased bike to a new frame.  If you have to pay a mechanic for that, probably not...

It would be unusual for the warranty to transfer with ownership.  Most warranties are for the original purchaser.  Some have lifetime warranties that may be transferred.  Check the company website to see if that's the case with this bike.  Also look at what it would take to transfer the warranty and make sure there aren't any "gotchas" (stuff like "racing" the bike voids the warranty and if so, did the seller "race" it?)  

2016-06-28 7:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
I bought a frame from eBay. When the frame came it was damaged.i mean super damaged.
The I got it from claimed it was UPSs fault. Unlikely.
After a month of going back and forth with eBay and PayPal, I got my money back.
2016-06-28 8:52 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Good luck If you go that route. I just can't see me ever buying a carbon frame bike from an unknown source.

2016-06-28 9:17 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Over the years I have purchased about half my bikes used but always after checking them out in person. I did buy a bad derailleur off ebay once and was begrudgingly given a refund - for a full bike I dont know - it would have to be a really screaming deal for me to pull the trigger.
2016-06-28 11:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I bought my first race bike on ebay several years ago. The seller has a great rating and it was a screaming deal so I took the chance. Under the same circumstances I would do it again in a heartbeat.

2016-06-28 2:29 PM

User image

, North Carolina
Depends on what 3k means to you. Some people can handle losing it. Some people (me) can't. You could always fly out and see it and take it back with you on the return flight.

I had a guy fly out from the midwest to NC to buy a car I had. Picked him up from the airport and he drove it home.

Anything used is a crap shoot.

Ask for more/better pictures. Have someone else look at it. Post the link here.
2016-06-28 2:36 PM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
I've purchased two bikes on eBay and both were great deals and delivered well. One thing to insist is that it be packed professionally. Most bike shops know how to do this well and while it may increase the cost, the bike will arrived packaged similar to new bikes.

You can get some guesses at how much the bike has been ridden if they are claiming, "30 miles" is making sure tires are original and wear is minimal. Check brake pads too. Handlebar tape being clean and stock colors is another clue.

Finally, make sure to chase great values, not specific bikes. I've been tempted to bid emotionally thinking that this a "once in a lifetime" deal when in reality, there are always other details, just need to be patient.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » EBay bike buying Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Would you buy a bike from ebay? Pages: 1 2

Started by kp73
Views: 1933 Posts: 26

2014-04-30 9:16 AM kp73

Shoould I buy from Ebay or online shop

Started by mtx
Views: 1767 Posts: 17

2012-05-08 1:46 PM siberian

Buying Tri Gear question - EBAY Pages: 1 2

Started by pharmacist25
Views: 1565 Posts: 29

2011-10-12 7:26 AM mktoson

Buying used wheels on ebay?

Started by KathyG
Views: 2039 Posts: 7

2007-07-17 11:15 AM KathyG

Safe to Buy Bike off Ebay?

Started by surfandturfnj
Views: 1587 Posts: 14

2005-03-07 10:57 PM riser
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 25, 2014
author : jtriathlete
comments : 12
I'm jumping back into the long-distance races next year and I'm wondering the best way to spend my money? Should I buy a new bike or a powermeter and race wheels?

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : December 12, 2009
comments : 0
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : August 13, 2008
author : say78
In February, I was given a very special gift: a gift certificate to buy a nice road bike. That's when I realized there was no turning back. I WAS doing this.

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.