General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Fustration Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-07-05 8:09 PM

User image

Connecticut
Subject: Swim Fustration
Let me start by saying - I've never been a swimmer. It's the one sport (of the 3) that I never did recreationally, I grew up on a lake so I'm a "strong swimmer" but have no idea how to actually swim.

I cannot breath correctly - I'm the only idiot at the pool with my head sticking straight up out of the water. I'm super frustrated right now because i just spent an hour in the pool JUST trying to learn how to breath. I simply can't do it.

I've tried three different places for swim lessons, all are either booked up right now or not responding to me.

[End Rant]

I have two questions

1. Any tips, tricks, ideas for me? (I've watched all the youtube videos and read all the tips blogs, but I think I freak out when my breathing isn't "natural")

2. Anyone know anyone in the southern CT area that could teach me to swim (Hell I'd even take my computer to the pool and do something over skype at this point)

Thanks for dealing with the rant.

2016-07-05 8:24 PM
in reply to: #5189665

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Swim Fustration
I recommend total immersion swimming. It got me swimming. Look it up. I bought the book. No lessons no coach. I'm not a great swimmer but i can hold my own.
2016-07-05 8:34 PM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Connecticut
Is it something you can watch ahead of time and bring techniques to the pool or did you have it right on hand at the pool?
2016-07-05 8:40 PM
in reply to: #5189666

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
The trick is to learn to swim with balance and rotation first before working on breathing. Swimming 4-6 strokes at a time, using a snorkel of needed for drills or for swimming.

Breathing requires that you do many things right at once.

And incidentally I have done Skype lessons at the poolside before.
2016-07-05 8:52 PM
in reply to: #5189668

Sarasota, Florida
I was in the same boat. I got the total immersion book and YouTube videos and hung an underwater camera on the edge of the pool. I struggled with breathing until I practiced with a kickboard.
2016-07-05 9:08 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Nick B

I recommend total immersion swimming. It got me swimming. Look it up. I bought the book. No lessons no coach. I'm not a great swimmer but i can hold my own.

You have just described me from last year. I watched absolutely all the available videos. I had group lessons, individual lessons, and nothing. It was my huge success when I did 10 yards. Yup. I completed all three Sprint triathlons in breaststroke and were so frustrated I was actually thinking of training breaststroke to Oly distance.
Total Immersion changed absolutely EVERYTHING for me! I order a book on Amazon for 12 cents (plus 3 bucks shipping). I have not even finished it - after just couple of chapters I swam 100, then 300, I am now doing 1,000 easy. The anxiety and fear disappeared and swimming freestyle actually brings me some joy. I would not believe it last year. Definitely worth trying

2016-07-05 9:09 PM
in reply to: #5189671

User image

Exhale under water by blowing bubbles either continuously or in short bursts so that when you turn your head to breathe you only need to inhale (i.e., don't exhale and inhale all at once). This combined with YouTube videos about 3-stroke bi-lateral breathing worked for me.
2016-07-05 9:56 PM
in reply to: kmonie360

I agree with using Total Immersion. About 10 years ago I could barely put my head in the water and am now usually top 10% out of the water in most tris. I only used the first few chapters of TI but that was enough to help me get a feel for the water.

Some other tips. The exhaling in water can be the hardest part. I'm not sure if you are exhaling under water, but if you are not then work on just that. Don't worry about swimming, just put your head under and exhale, pop your head up and inhale and repeat. Next, put both hands on the deck of the pool and practice the timing of your arms with exhaling underwater and turning your head to inhale while your arm recovers.

Once you get comfortable exhaling in water move on to trying to actually swim. Two things that helped me the most:

1. Slow down! Just stay relaxed, don't try to race to the other end of the pool. Pretend that you have to keep going 10 times the length of the pool. How slow wold you go then? How relaxed would you try to make yourself?
2. When you start a lap, just take a normal inhale. When I started I used to take a huge breath, like it was the last of my life. Then I would hold it for 10 strokes and by then it was too late and it threw off the breathing after that.

And one other thing that I think helped me. I'm not sure if you have kids, but when I was learning my son was 2 - 3 years old. Just playing in a pool seemed to help my confidence. May sound strange but sometimes it's the simple things.

I hope that helps.
2016-07-06 6:17 AM
in reply to: burhed

User image

Connecticut
Thanks for the suggestions

I'm going to check out Total Immersion today and see where it takes me.
2016-07-06 7:28 AM

User image

Get a front mount swimmer's snorkel. Work on your balance and rotation using the snorkel. When you get that down, start swimming without the snorkel. Swimming is complex and if you get the basic mechanics of it down, you will have a lot easier time breathing properly.
2016-07-06 7:29 AM

User image

, North Carolina
One thing that might help is don't spend an hour at a time in the pool.

If your schedule will allow it, do 20-25 minutes 3 times a week.

If your training is set up that you have one hour blocks you can go to the gym/pool. Swim/Drill for the first 20 minutes then go for a run for the rest of the time.

Struggling for an hour isn't going to help much but working 20 mins at a time will get you there.

It sounds like you have had plenty of time in the water and being comfortable really isn't a problem.

When I started I was doing the drills is a backyard pool probably 30ft long. Didn't take long for me to get the hang of it and move to a 25m pool.

2016-07-06 9:15 AM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Another vote for Total Immersion. They have some "baby step" drills that really help you just get accustomed to balancing in the water and create a lot of comfort while swimming.

Instead of buying the book, I just checked it out at my local library. They had the DVD too which was sort of helpful. I ended up buying a copy of my own a few months later.
2016-07-06 10:46 AM

3 times a week.

Struggling for an hour isn't going to help much but working 20 mins at a time will get you there.

I can't speak to learning technique....(other than I got quite a bit from videos)...

But, whether you have a coach/teacher/book/videos....

Just like mastering any other skill....It doesn't happen overnight, and it takes frequency....and constant evaluation.
You can't just "swim". You have to constantly attempt to do what's better (from a coach/teacher/video/book/etc) and evaluate the results of each of those attempts and fiddlings.

The good thing is, while swimming improvement doesn't happen overnight....I think non-strong swimmers can see far more improvement at a faster rate than the other disciplines.
2016-07-06 10:55 AM

User image

Connecticut

One thing that might help is don't spend an hour at a time in the pool.

If your schedule will allow it, do 20-25 minutes 3 times a week.

If your training is set up that you have one hour blocks you can go to the gym/pool. Swim/Drill for the first 20 minutes then go for a run for the rest of the time.

It sounds like you have had plenty of time in the water and being comfortable really isn't a problem.

When I started I was doing the drills is a backyard pool probably 30ft long. Didn't take long for me to get the hang of it and move to a 25m pool.

Yea - I think the hour last night was just "I see WAY too many people who can breath when swimming, why can't I".

I ran out to pick up the book this morning. First two chapters are already out of the way, just getting into the meat of it now.

I WILL FIGURE THIS OUT! haha

Thanks for all the help
2016-07-06 11:56 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Oh, I hope you figure it out and love it! Definitely keep us posted
2016-07-06 12:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I started from scratch and really appreciate the lessons I learned from reading the Total Immersion book plus watching a LOT of videos on YouTube.

I also had to work on breathing and spent some time (at the suggestion of a coach) simply standing in the shallow end and sticking my face into and out of the water, breathing.   I started with just putting my face in and out, then I added arm movements, to get used to turning my head, the splash, etc.   You will soon learn the rhythm of breathing out under water, when you can breathe in, and the angle you want your head, etc. You just need to get used to it.   Honestly you could do this in the bathtub at home...  

I also swam with the a pull buoy for a LONG time.     To swim you need to do a lot of things at once (balance, stroke, kick, rotate, breathe).  For me, since learning to breathe was so difficult, I took out the kick and balance by using the buoy.   I first just used the styro dumbbells at the pool used for water aerobic, but eventually bought my own buoy.  With that, I moved forward in leaps and bounds!  It also helped me quiet the urge to panic kick so that I was able to swim when I finally gave up on that "crutch." 

Just a few ideas  -good luck!

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2016-07-06 12:05 PM

2016-07-06 12:05 PM
in reply to: 0

3 weeks ago I could not make it 25 meters without having to lift my head forward to breath. Then I could not make it 50 meters without having to tread water to catch my breath. I always felt like I did not have enough air or that I was hyperventilating. Like you, I learned to "swim" in a lake, but really I just learned not to drown.

Breathing was my biggest issue as well to start. I could not learn to fully exhale underwater. I tried everything I could find until one day I found a you tube video that changed everything. The key is to hum!

By humming, you will control your rate of exhale while under water. You'll be ready for a breath when it is time, and you won't be trying to blow out the last bit of water while your face is already out of the water. Here is how I do it.

Take a breath on your dominate side. Once the inhale is completed, immediately start humming with your mouth closed. This will cause air to come out your nose. Do this during your next two strokes, then take another breath. Continue the breath every other stroke/hum.

Eventually, you'll get the breathing down to where it is second nature and humming is not necessary. However, if I ever find myself getting out of rhythm, I start humming again and the problem works itself out.

As far as bilateral breathing goes, I find this works best for me: 2 breaths on right, every other stroke, hold for 3 strokes, 2 breaths on left, every other stroke, then repeat. Going straight bilateral every 3rd stroke was not enough air for me.

Good luck!

Edited by QCA Tri 2016-07-06 12:08 PM
2016-07-06 7:51 PM
in reply to: QCA Tri

User image

Connecticut
UPDATE:

Things went well tonight. Didn't actually complete a lap but felt more comfortable than last night.

I think I would have been able actually do it, but when my head re-enters the water water goes up my nose - freaks me out - and makes me pop my head up. So once I either figure out how to stop that, or just deal with it; I think we'll be in business.
2016-07-07 7:12 AM

User image

, North Carolina
I had the same problem. What I did in the beginning was to wear a nose clip. It is only a bandaid. I figured out very quickly that it would not work for a open water swim and was very unreliable. But, it did get me going in the right direction. Once I got to where I could swim some laps and my stroke was improving I was able to get rid of it and focus on exhaling through my nose while my head was in the water.

What you just described was my biggest hurdle in swimming. It took me some time to figure it out. But, the nose clips afforded me the opportunity to work on the rest of the stroke mechanics while figuring it out.
2016-07-07 8:43 AM

User image

Connecticut

I had the same problem. What I did in the beginning was to wear a nose clip. It is only a bandaid. I figured out very quickly that it would not work for a open water swim and was very unreliable. But, it did get me going in the right direction. Once I got to where I could swim some laps and my stroke was improving I was able to get rid of it and focus on exhaling through my nose while my head was in the water.

What you just described was my biggest hurdle in swimming. It took me some time to figure it out. But, the nose clips afforded me the opportunity to work on the rest of the stroke mechanics while figuring it out.

The nose clip I have... falls off, constantly. I need to find a bigger one.
2016-07-07 9:19 AM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Originally posted by kmonie360

I think I would have been able actually do it, but when my head re-enters the water water goes up my nose - freaks me out - and makes me pop my head up.

Have you tried exhaling through your nose while under water? Personally, I try to push as mush air through my nose and mouth as possible when my face is under the water.

2016-07-07 12:15 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by kmonie360 UPDATE: Things went well tonight. Didn't actually complete a lap but felt more comfortable than last night. I think I would have been able actually do it, but when my head re-enters the water water goes up my nose - freaks me out - and makes me pop my head up. So once I either figure out how to stop that, or just deal with it; I think we'll be in business.

Couple things...

I recommend this type of nose clip.   I had a speedo brand which is hard to find, but that style doesn't fall off and also the strap helps you not lose it.  I had trouble with the plastic ones breaking in half, so my nose must be at least as big as yours. 

Avoiding water in the nose requires breathing out and turning your head the right way:

1.  Just as you do in real life, when you're not breathing in you need to be breathing out.  In your mouth, out your nose and mouth.  Do not hold your breath.  this is why I recommend standing in the shallow water to practice.

2.  You want to turn your head so that you're looing at your armpit, basically.   This shields your nose from the flow of water, too.    

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pesi_zocmrM

2016-07-07 1:15 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

Master
, California

Suzanne is right that breathing requires coordinating several things.

One way to start is to break it down into smaller parts like what BikerGrrl said.  The place to do this is on the wall.  You might feel silly but it lets you do ONE thing properly, then add the next, e.g.

1) laying on your stomach, hold the wall with both arms extended and kick lightly.

2) do 1, and put your face in and exhale.

3) do 2, turn your head to the side and inhale.  Focus on not lifting your head upward.

4) same thing but stroke with just one arm on the side you breath on.  practice the timing.

All of this should be *calm*, as relaxed as possible.  You should never feel like you're anxious for the next breath.

If the kick is messing you up, you can do all those things with a pull buoy instead.  Anyhow that will help your timing.  Once you get out in the pool and swim, keep the timing the same and let your body do some of the rotation.

2016-07-07 2:52 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Extreme Veteran
I would add slow down and relax slow down to the point where you are barley moving and concentrate o just breathing comfortable. use floaties if you need them
2016-07-08 12:50 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Originally posted by kmonie360
Originally posted by Nick B I had the same problem. What I did in the beginning was to wear a nose clip. It is only a bandaid. I figured out very quickly that it would not work for a open water swim and was very unreliable. But, it did get me going in the right direction. Once I got to where I could swim some laps and my stroke was improving I was able to get rid of it and focus on exhaling through my nose while my head was in the water. What you just described was my biggest hurdle in swimming. It took me some time to figure it out. But, the nose clips afforded me the opportunity to work on the rest of the stroke mechanics while figuring it out.
The nose clip I have... falls off, constantly. I need to find a bigger one.

Like someone else said no nose clip but just start exhaling as soon as you put your face back in the water. It is much easier to learn this now than to relearn after you get used to the crutch of a nose clip.

Keep training....and it will click in time.

I took private TI lessons and it took me about 3 months for it to all finally click so I could swim, feel comfortable and keep swimming without stopping all the time.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Fustration Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Swim Swam Swum

Started by Robert Reynolds
Views: 1776 Posts: 12

2006-07-09 3:21 PM Robert Reynolds

Tri Swim Coach Swim Workshop 9/11/04- Denver, CO

Started by Tri Swim Coach
Views: 1036 Posts: 5

2004-08-23 11:49 AM Tri Swim Coach

How to navigate or swim in a straight line when swimming freestyle

Started by steven
Views: 2508 Posts: 7

2004-06-28 6:19 PM getwet

First Swim in a "Public" swim area

Started by slow&steady
Views: 1222 Posts: 9

2004-06-22 1:36 PM mikenhe

Swimming advice or help needed on video clip of myself swimming Pages: 1 2

Started by steven
Views: 3534 Posts: 29

2004-05-11 4:52 AM steven
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2015
author : CoachCK
comments : 1
It's time to improve upon your weakness in the water and start swimming faster. Instead of ignoring your swim skills (or lack thereof), it’s time to face them head-on.

date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters
date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique

date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.
date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!

date : April 2, 2006
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.
date : May 3, 2005
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!

date : October 10, 2004
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...