BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-08-26 11:06 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by marysia83 Just a quick follow up on the road vs. tri shoes: I need to buy those today, because the awesome 40% off deal expires this weekend. I decided to buy shoes today and get the rest of stuff later (I will obviously not use the shoes until I get pedals, etc). I already talked to the guy from our NU bike group about fitting, and he will help and guide me with all the cleats & pedals. So regarding tri vs. road: is the only advantage of tri shoes the quicker on/off in transition? And ventilation? For another few years I am planning to do Sprint and Oly triathlons only, and that's gonna be no more than 4 per year. I am planning to bike to/from work as much as I can during the year (weather permitted), and that's around 13 miles one way max. I would love to do 100 miles bike next year (or the following year, depending how well I can prepare). So that's all in regards to plan and use of the shoes. If the price is the same, and I can only go with one pair for now, which one would be better?

Tri shoes have lacing setups to help get them on & off faster, particularly while on the bike. They are often intended to be worn sockless. This could make a size difference for some. Some people have only liked the fit with or without socks, not necessarily both. They tend to have more ventilation though not all do. Especially on these last two, consider that you want to use them for commuting and as the weather gets colder.

To me, some of this gets overblown in importance. I tape over some of the vent holes in my shoes for cooler weather and did not notice that I forgot to remove it when things wamed up. I also tend to be more susceptible to heat than others. Not needing socks is to save a few seconds in transition.  Up to you if that's worth it. Comfort of that is very individual. I was a bit meh, but others just love it. I did use a pair of tri shoes for a few races, but was only ok with going sockless in them. I tried leaving them on the bike for mounts & dismounts, but ended up not being too comfortable with that as other people are all over the place. Especially out of T1. I got in, but the alleged really clear areas don't necessarily happen the same with a race best bike split coming from the last wave in. Constantly have people everywhere. Crowding could look different to someone more in the middle.

I am just wondering what stock they have ... not to downplay the choice but my experience is that the choice for women is often limited. (and even tri-specific gear can be limited too).

If you can go and try on what they have available you should decide based on what you feel more comfortable in and what fits you best. My road shoes are quite narrow but i do have narrow feet so that is comfortable for me. For sprints you'd definitely save time in a tri shoe but more ventilation isn't always such a great thing in the cool spring and fall in your area ... but overall the shoe should fit your foot well. You don't want to have it be constricted or on the opposite end to have it flopping around. 

2016-08-26 11:20 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by marysia83

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

August 27-28
Eric - Chicago Lifetime Fitness Super Sprint on Saturday
Melanie - North East Triathlon - Sprint Course on Sunday
Mary G - Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance (A-Race!) on Sunday
Stacey - City2Surf half marathon on Sunday
Anne - Dan Adair Memorial Sprint Triathlon on Sunday

Any other racers?

Go Racers!!! Have fun!!

I know I promised Stacey I will keep her HM run in my mind when racing. I am just wondering what the time difference is between her and Chicago (in case she's already done when I'm still waiting at the swim start ;p) In any case - I will be mentally with all of you guys on Sunday And with Eric tomorrow

Good luck to all of the Racers. Mary good luck on your Olympic on Sunday. I wish I was doing one of the Sunday races, but I have a wedding to go to Saturday evening/night. I figured I could at least squeeze in the super sprint on Saturday, but a wedding with a lot of friends would make a triathlon the next morning brutal.

Two weeks ago when I did a Tri in Michigan City, IN Lake Michigan was fairly warm. I believe they said 75 degrees. Hopefully that will make your swim a little easier.
2016-08-26 11:31 AM
in reply to: emcmino

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by emcmino

Originally posted by marysia83

Racing Manatees!!!

August 27-28

Any other racers?

Go Racers!!! Have fun!!

I know I promised Stacey I will keep her HM run in my mind when racing. I am just wondering what the time difference is between her and Chicago (in case she's already done when I'm still waiting at the swim start ;p) In any case - I will be mentally with all of you guys on Sunday And with Eric tomorrow

Good luck to all of the Racers. Mary good luck on your Olympic on Sunday. I wish I was doing one of the Sunday races, but I have a wedding to go to Saturday evening/night. I figured I could at least squeeze in the super sprint on Saturday, but a wedding with a lot of friends would make a triathlon the next morning brutal.

Two weeks ago when I did a Tri in Michigan City, IN Lake Michigan was fairly warm. I believe they said 75 degrees. Hopefully that will make your swim a little easier.

Omg you are just like me: yeah, there is a little party or family gathering, or even a wedding, but I can still squeeze a Sprint triathlon in there
I have my best friend's son b-day party Sunday afternoon, right after the race, and I bet i will be like blahh... But that's the life of a triathlete

The forecasts show water temps below 70 for Lake Michigan so far, but I am not discouraged actually, for some strange reason, water temp is the last thing for me to worry about...
2016-08-26 11:40 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by marysia83 Just a quick follow up on the road vs. tri shoes: I need to buy those today, because the awesome 40% off deal expires this weekend. I decided to buy shoes today and get the rest of stuff later (I will obviously not use the shoes until I get pedals, etc). I already talked to the guy from our NU bike group about fitting, and he will help and guide me with all the cleats & pedals. So regarding tri vs. road: is the only advantage of tri shoes the quicker on/off in transition? And ventilation? For another few years I am planning to do Sprint and Oly triathlons only, and that's gonna be no more than 4 per year. I am planning to bike to/from work as much as I can during the year (weather permitted), and that's around 13 miles one way max. I would love to do 100 miles bike next year (or the following year, depending how well I can prepare). So that's all in regards to plan and use of the shoes. If the price is the same, and I can only go with one pair for now, which one would be better?

Tri shoes have lacing setups to help get them on & off faster, particularly while on the bike. They are often intended to be worn sockless. This could make a size difference for some. Some people have only liked the fit with or without socks, not necessarily both. They tend to have more ventilation though not all do. Especially on these last two, consider that you want to use them for commuting and as the weather gets colder.

To me, some of this gets overblown in importance. I tape over some of the vent holes in my shoes for cooler weather and did not notice that I forgot to remove it when things wamed up. I also tend to be more susceptible to heat than others. Not needing socks is to save a few seconds in transition.  Up to you if that's worth it. Comfort of that is very individual. I was a bit meh, but others just love it. I did use a pair of tri shoes for a few races, but was only ok with going sockless in them. I tried leaving them on the bike for mounts & dismounts, but ended up not being too comfortable with that as other people are all over the place. Especially out of T1. I got in, but the alleged really clear areas don't necessarily happen the same with a race best bike split coming from the last wave in. Constantly have people everywhere. Crowding could look different to someone more in the middle.

I am just wondering what stock they have ... not to downplay the choice but my experience is that the choice for women is often limited. (and even tri-specific gear can be limited too).

If you can go and try on what they have available you should decide based on what you feel more comfortable in and what fits you best. My road shoes are quite narrow but i do have narrow feet so that is comfortable for me. For sprints you'd definitely save time in a tri shoe but more ventilation isn't always such a great thing in the cool spring and fall in your area ... but overall the shoe should fit your foot well. You don't want to have it be constricted or on the opposite end to have it flopping around. 

This is their women's selection on the website:
http://kozy.com/product-list/weekly-deal-bike-shoes-save-40-pg1555/...

I think I will take your advice for trying both on to see how I feel, but consider more road ones, for all the reasons you stated.
2016-08-26 12:09 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Pennsylvania

Stacey - I LOVE your shirts, so fun!  I hope all have a very fun time at the race.  How sad the other pups are missing Abbi, too. 

Randee - I'm good with the bracelet idea.

Mary - good luck with your shoe decision.  It sounds like maybe road shoes might make more sense right now?

Darren - I like your pain cave pic!  Very cool.

To one and all racing, myself included, GOOOOOOOO RACERS!!!!!

2016-08-26 12:37 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK our run shirts for the weekends race finally turned up today. I know "nothing new on race day", but too bad Im sure it will be fine its pretty loose and doesn't seem to rub anywhere. It could be a bit of an "EPIC" weekend (sorry Chris) as K and I pick up Mum and E from the plane tonight and they can turn any weekend into an epic weekend without throwing a HM into the mix.

haha, that shirt is funny!

Have a great weekend with your mother and E!

2016-08-26 12:37 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

August 27-28

Any other racers?

Lots of racing Manatees this weekend!!  Go get 'em!!

2016-08-26 1:11 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Racing Manatees!!!

August 27-28

Any other racers?

Lots of racing going on! Have fun and crush it!
2016-08-26 3:07 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Hello strangers.Been taking a bit of down from s media since my race. Getting back in to it now. Been keeping myself busy getting the winter pain cave ready and reflecting on my race, both the good parts and bad. You'd a thunk I woulda got me a race report all dun whilst (TJ) I've fad my down time but sadly not. I do have a lot to write about the race but ill try and keep it for the race report. I've missed loads since being away and sorry I didn't comment on your posts, I did read them all. Thanks for all the words of encouragement whilst I was on the race. A special thanks to Janyne on keeping everyone up to date on my progress. Sterling job, as usual.Normal service will be resumed (as in more active than normal).

Welcome back Darren, that was quite the adventure; can't wait to read about it!

Great to see you're back Darren (and your front is pretty good too ) I love your pain cave - did you build it?
Yes. Built it last year but had some problems wth the roof blowing off in the bad weather over the winter, so had to redo that earlier this year. Glad to have finished the outside, almost, and moving on to the lining out and electrics inside next. Can't wait, it's my refuge from my kids that seem to have taken over my house. Just need a rocking chair so I can sir with my banjo
2016-08-26 7:10 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'm going to ask about writing something, not sure about that as we also have race tatts. And it might be a problem to have someone else's name written on me (even if, clearly, I'm not "Steve"!). At the very least, write it on my hands, maybe, and hold them up at the end?
2016-08-26 7:45 PM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

August 27-28

Any other racers?

Go racers!!!

Richard - welcome back!

Randee - I understand about the chicken broth. Last year at Boulder my stomach wasn't happy either. Someone at an aid station accidently put the broth out too soon and I grabbed some thinking it was Gatorade. While i was a bit shocked when I discovered it was broth, it really helped my stomach. But then no other aid station had it. Don't beat yourself up while processing your race - I've got us all covered on that for the year.

2016-08-26 7:46 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Oh, in other news - I'm here at school. It's 6:45 pm MT. On a Friday. We have back to school night.

Did I mention it's Friday?

Who does back to school night on a Friday? Wanna place bets on how many parents attend?
2016-08-26 8:44 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by fortissimo

Oh, in other news - I'm here at school. It's 6:45 pm MT. On a Friday. We have back to school night.

Did I mention it's Friday?

Who does back to school night on a Friday? Wanna place bets on how many parents attend?

Ugh.......
One thing I love about Chicago is that school starts after Labor Day...
How long do you have to stay there?
2016-08-26 8:47 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by fortissimo

Racing Manatees!!!

August 27-28

Any other racers?

Go racers!!!

Richard - welcome back!

Randee - I understand about the chicken broth. Last year at Boulder my stomach wasn't happy either. Someone at an aid station accidently put the broth out too soon and I grabbed some thinking it was Gatorade. While i was a bit shocked when I discovered it was broth, it really helped my stomach. But then no other aid station had it. Don't beat yourself up while processing your race - I've got us all covered on that for the year.

I don't know what scares me more about Ironman: swimming is salty water or finding out that chicken broth is actually indulging
2016-08-26 9:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Here is a video of the race I did the other week. They did a good job but didnt include the really nasty bits as I guess their car couldnt get there.

https://vimeo.com/179610062

i'm number 85, in the background on the picture.

Edited by DaveL 2016-08-26 9:17 PM

(EagerBeaverRaceReport2016-4.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
EagerBeaverRaceReport2016-4.jpg (138KB - 3 downloads)
2016-08-26 9:11 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
okay one more, not of me, but if gives you an idea of the rain.

(EagerBeaverRaceReport2016-7.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
EagerBeaverRaceReport2016-7.jpg (90KB - 3 downloads)

2016-08-27 1:36 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yikes--that last photo reminds me of my Sri Lanka bike tour a couple of years ago. Nine days of that kind of stuff . Thank goodness it wasn't a race! Will never forget a bunch of us biking down a road like that between villages, in downpour so heavy we could barely see where we were going (didn't want to stop as we were hungry and near the lunch stop, plus it had been pouring like that for hours anyway) and along comes this older guy riding at a good clip on an ancient one-speed, wearing a sodden postal service uniform, out delivering the mail. He gives us a giant wave and grin and yells, "Welcome to Sri Lanka!"
2016-08-27 3:28 AM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

August 27-28

Any other racers?

Good luck racers! Have great races!
2016-08-27 5:21 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by DaveL

okay one more, not of me, but if gives you an idea of the rain.

Wow, looks like some really challenging weather. Well done!
2016-08-27 6:07 AM

User image

Melon Presser

GO ERIC!!!
GO PEACH MELBO!!!
GOOOOO MARIA!!!
GO STACE FACE!!!
GO ABAKE!!!

2016-08-27 6:09 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by DaveL okay one more, not of me, but if gives you an idea of the rain.

Not of you ... you're slimmer and fitter (maybe better looking too but everyone looks the same with helmets and a layer of dirt)

You are also a badazz. That's some downpour.

2016-08-27 6:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

August 27-28

Any other racers?

Go Mary, Eric, Mel and Anne oh and go me.

Spent way too much money today at the expo got a run skirt and I may have picked up a Garmin 735XT for $500 instead of the normal $700.
2016-08-27 7:44 AM

User image

Munich, Bayern
I hope you don't mind me interrupting, but I just had my first Tri today. Sprint 400m/20k/5k
My unofficial time is 1:20 (maybe 1:21)
I was almost the last one out of the water with 20 min. It took me 5mins on the bike to catch my breath. :D
It was a lot of fun. I almost didn't go. I am glad I did.
Thanks to YOU for giving me motivation!

Next one is a marathon. :-O
2016-08-27 9:24 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK

Racing Manatees!!!

August 27-28

Any other racers?

Go Mary, Eric, Mel and Anne oh and go me. Spent way too much money today at the expo got a run skirt and I may have picked up a Garmin 735XT for $500 instead of the normal $700.

Nice!!  Let us know how you like it.

2016-08-27 9:25 AM
in reply to: Lighttower

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Lighttower I hope you don't mind me interrupting, but I just had my first Tri today. Sprint 400m/20k/5k My unofficial time is 1:20 (maybe 1:21) I was almost the last one out of the water with 20 min. It took me 5mins on the bike to catch my breath. :D It was a lot of fun. I almost didn't go. I am glad I did. Thanks to YOU for giving me motivation! Next one is a marathon. :-O

Congratulations! I think it's pretty typical to ask yourself why you are racing the morning of the race, but afterward you are always glad you did it.  Good luck with the marathon.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.