BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-08-31 12:28 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Ughhh! Will someone just make a start on the bike for me? I just need a start, then I can take over and get back to it :/

According to Strava you jumped right in with Sufferfesting

Hmmm, didn't get all the way through angels though. Think I bit off more than I could chew with over-unders at the moment. Thinking of starting a sweetspot base plan on TR for some structure. Any care to join me?

Darren, how hard were you going for that? I've had some luck using shorter intervals at a lower effort to get back into things. Like starting at 100% and moving up by 5 or 10 watts each interval, or pair of intervals in the case of Revolver. A Very Dark Place has been helpful too. Downward Spiral would be doing the second round at a higher level than the first. More working my way into working hard again instead of firing right out of the gates. Maybe going through a couple weeks like that, depending on how things feel.

2016-08-31 1:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Ughhh! Will someone just make a start on the bike for me? I just need a start, then I can take over and get back to it :/

Hmmm, didn't get all the way through angels though. Think I bit off more than I could chew with over-unders at the moment. Thinking of starting a sweetspot base plan on TR for some structure. Any care to join me?

Darren, how hard were you going for that? I've had some luck using shorter intervals at a lower effort to get back into things. Like starting at 100% and moving up by 5 or 10 watts each interval, or pair of intervals in the case of Revolver. A Very Dark Place has been helpful too. Downward Spiral would be doing the second round at a higher level than the first. More working my way into working hard again instead of firing right out of the gates. Maybe going through a couple weeks like that, depending on how things feel.

The 10 min of 1 min over/1 min under was quite demanding for me. I got through it but my cadence was really dropping toward the last rep. Overs were at 9/10 effort (about 110% ftp) unders about 95%. Did elements of style to warm up. Probably could have carried on with the 3 x 8 min efforts over threshold but was just not feeling it. Think it was more mental. Need to ease myself back in to it and do a new ftp test. I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do today, just kinda fell into doing angels because it was described as a climbing video. I think I was looking for a more sustained climb than what angels is, just to ease myself back in. Something at lesser intensity but longer intervals. Not really something sufferfest do. Just wanted to watch something while doing it ( don't have Internet up the shed yet) which is why I looked through my sufferfest collection. Thinking of going in to the TR base program for the next 12 weeks to give me some structure and progression in training.

Edited by Richardsdrr 2016-08-31 1:24 PM
2016-08-31 8:12 PM

User image

Expert
One last school thing, unless someone has another. I just got back from the open house at the middle school/high school. We had over 90% of the students and parents turn out. I am really excited for tomorrow when we do the ribbon cutting and community open house.
2016-08-31 8:34 PM

Master
Northern IL

The 10 min of 1 min over/1 min under was quite demanding for me. I got through it but my cadence was really dropping toward the last rep. Overs were at 9/10 effort (about 110% ftp) unders about 95%. Did elements of style to warm up. Probably could have carried on with the 3 x 8 min efforts over threshold but was just not feeling it. Think it was more mental. Need to ease myself back in to it and do a new ftp test. I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do today, just kinda fell into doing angels because it was described as a climbing video. I think I was looking for a more sustained climb than what angels is, just to ease myself back in. Something at lesser intensity but longer intervals. Not really something sufferfest do. Just wanted to watch something while doing it ( don't have Internet up the shed yet) which is why I looked through my sufferfest collection. Thinking of going in to the TR base program for the next 12 weeks to give me some structure and progression in training.

Think you trying to push those harder than I've ever done! At best, the first part was 95/105. In a situation like yours, I may have done all the under at 90% and steadily pushed each over up higher, hopefully being ok working up at 105% before the last one. Also might back off a bit on how fast I'd spin, depending on how I felt. The 3 x 8' could have a baseline anywhere from 90-100% that I'd try to maintain and then test out going harder when some of the attacks or surges come in. Kind of go as I felt with the on screen IF only loosely followed. The idea wouldn't be to nail the workout, but get used to working harder again. Prepare for the next hard workout. Build up to it.

Since you're putting together a dedicated room, are you on a computrainer or something you need to input the power level to? I'm on a more basic trainer so it's just ride faster or slower to adjust the resistance.

2016-08-31 9:17 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Think you trying to push those harder than I've ever done! At best, the first part was 95/105. In a situation like yours, I may have done all the under at 90% and steadily pushed each over up higher, hopefully being ok working up at 105% before the last one. Also might back off a bit on how fast I'd spin, depending on how I felt. The 3 x 8' could have a baseline anywhere from 90-100% that I'd try to maintain and then test out going harder when some of the attacks or surges come in. Kind of go as I felt with the on screen IF only loosely followed. The idea wouldn't be to nail the workout, but get used to working harder again. Prepare for the next hard workout. Build up to it.

Since you're putting together a dedicated room, are you on a computrainer or something you need to input the power level to? I'm on a more basic trainer so it's just ride faster or slower to adjust the resistance.

I'm using a Kickr in Ergo mode with the resistance levels being controlled by Trainerroad. Currently my setup is a little awkward for on the fly intensity changes as I'm just using my laptop and it's not in a position close enough for me to reach it whilst cycling. That will change soon when I fit a flat screen up there. In hindsight I should have dropped the intensity down to about 90% and raised it, if I was able to, as the workout progressed. I find the levels TR use for Sufferfest videos to be higher compared to the intensity efforts given on the videos. I find the videos are more in line with the sort of workouts you get with their build plans, which come after 12 weeks of base building up to those sort of efforts.
2016-08-31 10:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

I'm using a Kickr in Ergo mode with the resistance levels being controlled by Trainerroad. Currently my setup is a little awkward for on the fly intensity changes as I'm just using my laptop and it's not in a position close enough for me to reach it whilst cycling. That will change soon when I fit a flat screen up there. In hindsight I should have dropped the intensity down to about 90% and raised it, if I was able to, as the workout progressed. I find the levels TR use for Sufferfest videos to be higher compared to the intensity efforts given on the videos. I find the videos are more in line with the sort of workouts you get with their build plans, which come after 12 weeks of base building up to those sort of efforts.
Wow Darren, I think that I would avoid the bike for months if I had done the ride that you did. Good on you for getting going again.

2016-08-31 10:39 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
So I have been looking at the summer race schedule and I have 21.5 weeks until the Oly that I am determined to do this summer. I am pretty sure that there wont be puppies before the race to mess with it and I should have a new boss (who I know and like and is competent) at the start of next year so some of the work pressure should ease up.

I was looking at plans last night and I think that I will go with this one http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plans-vi... but just with some schedule rearranging.

I am pretty much starting from scratch with the swim and bike because I haven't done anything on either of them for about a year (but I can swim). For the run distance isn't an issue but speed is a problem. Once I get some swim fitness in me I have some Sheila workouts that I can use so the swim is sorted. But I'm not sure how to tackle the bike or getting faster on the run.

For the bike I have a KK trainer and I have plenty of big hills that scare the schit out of me pretty much straight out of my front gate. With the bike do I just get out and ride or should I do intervals on the trainer or what are your suggestions? At present I am not sure that I can even make it up the small hills without having to get off and walk.

For the run I know that getting out and running consistently will help a great deal. I have another HM to do on Oct 9 with the girls and then I am pretty much free to focus on getting faster. Is dropping the distance back and pushing myself harder the best way to go about this?

Bottom line I know is just being consistent with my training which is a very big problem for me. But I am absolutely determined to conquer this this summer and lose 10-15kg in the process especially after looking at my race photos from the weekend.
2016-09-01 6:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I have used the BT plans before and always felt that they were worthwhile. At the very least they keep you honest and consistent which is always good. I of all people have little advice on getting faster but I would certainly bike those hills as strength should make you quicker. The hills do serve as intervals. If you are on the trainer I would suggest Trainerroad or Zwift to keep focus - mindlessly spinning on a trainer is better than nothing but you will get much more out of it in structured workouts. As far as the run goes I would suggest running with people that are a little quicker than you are - I think we all can go just that little bit faster when faced with trying to keep up.
2016-09-01 7:13 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I agree with Dave, I think that consistency will net you the biggest gains.  If you are not set up for TR or Zwift (or are simply not interested) be sure to do the HR Zone field test to set your bike zones.  We know that you have a snazzy new watch

2016-09-01 7:14 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thinking of you, Karen!  I hope that you made it there OK -- your bike too!

2016-09-01 8:48 AM

Master
Northern IL

Yeah, in the brief time I used TR, I found that too with the Sufferfest videos. HHNF had the first 20' at ~100% and the second at 105%. So add in some inconsistency on top of that. It has a lot of nice things going for it, but that kind of irked me too. Found myself wishing  there was a way to flatten out the intervals as well. Still keep a decent average, but not spike or vary the effort so much with the attacks.

2016-09-01 9:02 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK So I have been looking at the summer race schedule and I have 21.5 weeks until the Oly that I am determined to do this summer. I am pretty sure that there wont be puppies before the race to mess with it and I should have a new boss (who I know and like and is competent) at the start of next year so some of the work pressure should ease up. I was looking at plans last night and I think that I will go with this one http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plans-vi... but just with some schedule rearranging. I am pretty much starting from scratch with the swim and bike because I haven't done anything on either of them for about a year (but I can swim). For the run distance isn't an issue but speed is a problem. Once I get some swim fitness in me I have some Sheila workouts that I can use so the swim is sorted. But I'm not sure how to tackle the bike or getting faster on the run. For the bike I have a KK trainer and I have plenty of big hills that scare the schit out of me pretty much straight out of my front gate. With the bike do I just get out and ride or should I do intervals on the trainer or what are your suggestions? At present I am not sure that I can even make it up the small hills without having to get off and walk. For the run I know that getting out and running consistently will help a great deal. I have another HM to do on Oct 9 with the girls and then I am pretty much free to focus on getting faster. Is dropping the distance back and pushing myself harder the best way to go about this? Bottom line I know is just being consistent with my training which is a very big problem for me. But I am absolutely determined to conquer this this summer and lose 10-15kg in the process especially after looking at my race photos from the weekend.

Yeah, the biggest thing for the run would be to keep that run frequency up first. You're scheduled to run 3 times a week, so really try to get 3 runs a week in. That in itself will work towards some speed. You can work in some lighter things sooner, like a few strides, as those are only about the feeling of going faster instead of driving hard to develop an energy system adaptation. Noticed the plan suggested doing faster run work on the day of the short run. Usually I'd recommend the middle run, but the second month in this one the short does get long enough for a decent warm-up and a little faster running. Some shorter running intervals can come in later if you like, but get the consistency in first.

For the bike, how long do the hills take you? There are plenty of little hills around here, but the large majority take 30 seconds or less to get over. Not really that much help. Do you have ones that would take a least a couple minutes to get over? Also, the important part of this is that you're working harder. It's not so much the hill itself does anything, but many do find they are able or more willing to push hard on them and that's what is helping them. Some of my easy Sunday rides don't break 130 bpm on the hills. That's a couple HR zones short of an interval level for me, so I don't really get that sort of benefit from it.

2016-09-01 2:49 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Originally posted by StaceyK So I have been looking at the summer race schedule and I have 21.5 weeks until the Oly that I am determined to do this summer. I am pretty sure that there wont be puppies before the race to mess with it and I should have a new boss (who I know and like and is competent) at the start of next year so some of the work pressure should ease up. I was looking at plans last night and I think that I will go with this one http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plans-vi... but just with some schedule rearranging. I am pretty much starting from scratch with the swim and bike because I haven't done anything on either of them for about a year (but I can swim). For the run distance isn't an issue but speed is a problem. Once I get some swim fitness in me I have some Sheila workouts that I can use so the swim is sorted. But I'm not sure how to tackle the bike or getting faster on the run. For the bike I have a KK trainer and I have plenty of big hills that scare the schit out of me pretty much straight out of my front gate. With the bike do I just get out and ride or should I do intervals on the trainer or what are your suggestions? At present I am not sure that I can even make it up the small hills without having to get off and walk. For the run I know that getting out and running consistently will help a great deal. I have another HM to do on Oct 9 with the girls and then I am pretty much free to focus on getting faster. Is dropping the distance back and pushing myself harder the best way to go about this? Bottom line I know is just being consistent with my training which is a very big problem for me. But I am absolutely determined to conquer this this summer and lose 10-15kg in the process especially after looking at my race photos from the weekend.

Yeah, the biggest thing for the run would be to keep that run frequency up first. You're scheduled to run 3 times a week, so really try to get 3 runs a week in. That in itself will work towards some speed. You can work in some lighter things sooner, like a few strides, as those are only about the feeling of going faster instead of driving hard to develop an energy system adaptation. Noticed the plan suggested doing faster run work on the day of the short run. Usually I'd recommend the middle run, but the second month in this one the short does get long enough for a decent warm-up and a little faster running. Some shorter running intervals can come in later if you like, but get the consistency in first.

For the bike, how long do the hills take you? There are plenty of little hills around here, but the large majority take 30 seconds or less to get over. Not really that much help. Do you have ones that would take a least a couple minutes to get over? Also, the important part of this is that you're working harder. It's not so much the hill itself does anything, but many do find they are able or more willing to push hard on them and that's what is helping them. Some of my easy Sunday rides don't break 130 bpm on the hills. That's a couple HR zones short of an interval level for me, so I don't really get that sort of benefit from it.

I would add that if you even lose half the weight that you want to , you will get faster on the bike and run for the same effort. So its the consistency and gradual volume increase that will pay dividends.
2016-09-01 3:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
I see Kurt Kinetic have announced an add on for their trainers that will convert them into smart trainers. Could be interesting if people have a KK already. A whole lot cheaper than a new trainer....http://us8.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f4876d5257c71bfd9fac945e5&id=8cb28205f4

Edited by Richardsdrr 2016-09-01 3:09 PM
2016-09-01 3:31 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

I would add that if you even lose half the weight that you want to , you will get faster on the bike and run for the same effort. So its the consistency and gradual volume increase that will pay dividends.

No advice from me about the bike (although, I keep reading others' comments that interval is the way to help). But for the run I tried to use BarryP plan. My schedule does not always let me run every day (ugh), but I ready tons and tons of reviews and comments of folks who followed BarryP's idea and it helped them with running significantly faster. Basically, you run more often, at slower pace. What it helped me with for sure was liking the run (ekhm... not hating it) and avoiding injuries.
2016-09-01 3:54 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Richardsdrr I see Kurt Kinetic have announced an add on for their trainers that will convert them into smart trainers. Could be interesting if people have a KK already. A whole lot cheaper than a new trainer....http://us8.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f4876d5257c71bfd9fac945e5&id=8cb28205f4

Saw that too and am keeping an eye on it. Already have the Rock n Roll and don't really want to go back to a fixed one. The upgrade could be interesting if it's shown to work well.

2016-09-02 9:15 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

September 3-5
Adrienne - The Rut/Long Peak Vertical K on Friday
Chris - Venice Tri on Saturday
Jim - Boyne Sprint on Sunday
Karen - Ironman 70.3 World Championship, Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia on Sunday
Markus - Towne Lake Triathlon Sprint on Monday
McMatt - TriRock Austin on Monday

Are there any other racers?

2016-09-02 9:27 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

September 3-5
Karen - Ironman 70.3 World Championship, Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia on Sunday

YAY racers! good luck to everyone - may the weather be with you! 

2016-09-02 9:40 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by juniperjen

Racing Manatees!!!

September 3-5

YAY racers! good luck to everyone - may the weather be with you! 

Wow busy weekend! Go racers!

I am doing a FA with some locals tonight, starting at 2000.  I'm looking forward to having company for my long run.  I have 22 miles on the schedule and our route is a 5k loop, washing machine style. So I figure 7 laps ought to do it. I'm going to test a couple things that I normally can't such as using my headlamp, changing shoes and a new nutrition option.

2016-09-02 9:48 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

September 3-5

Another crowded weekend of racing!  Go Manatees!!

2016-09-02 10:23 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by amd723

Racing Manatees!!!

September 3-5

Another crowded weekend of racing!  Go Manatees!!

Go Racers!!! Have a blast!

Karen, fingers and toes crossed!!!

I wish everyone safe and wonderful Holiday weekend

2016-09-02 11:16 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Racing Manatees!!!

September 3-5

Lots of exciting racing going on this weekend. Manatees of the Americas - remember that Karen will be setting off in the afternoon/evening of Saturday if we want to track her. I think something like 4pm Eastern.
2016-09-02 1:24 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

September 3-5

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RACERS!!!  Good luck and have fun, one and all!

2016-09-02 2:10 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by melbo55

Racing Manatees!!!

September 3-5

Go racers! Looking forward to hearing all about all these races.

WISH I were doing the Venice tri this weekend since it is my hometown. My hubbie is doing his first ever cyclocross race on Saturday. He just started and has only been recovered from lyme disease and complications for a couple of months. Starting something new at 59 yrs old is great! I am proud.

2016-09-02 2:18 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by melbo55

Racing Manatees!!!

September 3-5

Go racers! Looking forward to hearing all about all these races.

WISH I were doing the Venice tri this weekend since it is my hometown. My hubbie is doing his first ever cyclocross race on Saturday. He just started and has only been recovered from lyme disease and complications for a couple of months. Starting something new at 59 yrs old is great! I am proud.

Good luck racers. That's interesting about your husband starting cyclocross. I'm just catching up on a backlog of podcasts, one of which is Trainerroad's. The 3 presenters are about to embark on a season on cyclocross for the 1st time and I'm interested to hear how they get on with it. Keep us informed, if you will.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.