BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-09-27 12:00 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

I'm getting ready for a winter of trainer sessions so have been busy downloading a crap load of TV to watch that have passed me by.

So far I have:

6 seasons of Game of Thrones

10 seasons of The Sopranos

5 seasons of Boardwalk Empire

7 seasons of Mad Men

1 season of Mr Robot

1 season of Legends of Tomorrow.

I'm currently watching season 2 of Gotham of Netflix whilst at work when waiting for a load and am about to jump in to Designated Survivor. I've made a promise to myself that I'm not allowed to watch any of them unless I'm on the trainer or treadmill. Do any of you have any other suggestions? What are you in to at the moment? Anything coming up that I should look out for? I think I saw that Netflix was about to release a new Marvel series. I think it was the dude in Jessica Jones, Cage something?

There's a running film on Netflix I saw a while back that some of you may be interested. It's called Town of Runners.

I'm so jealous! I never have time to watch TV/movies. And when I finally find the time I will spend the whole night and feel like crap the following day
I have a list of movies, not the series, that I would like to watch. Maybe think about some "must see" movies that you've never seen?

2016-09-27 12:03 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
I just want to share a bit of training achievement sort of things that I got. I did my last HM of the season this past Sunday. Despite of not that much training and being rather conservative (to avoid injuries) I got to 2:08 time for the race. The time itself is not what really makes me happy: it's rather the fact that I was able to run with the same pace for the 12 miles, not feeling any pain, did not have to question myself if I was going too hard or two slow, it felt so perfect I thought I loved running half marathons!
Another thing is my muscles did not feel sore neither yesterday, nor today, and not after the race. As if nothing had happened. Just a little things that made me feel I actually did some good stuff with preparing for a race
2016-09-27 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by marysia83

I just want to share a bit of training achievement sort of things that I got. I did my last HM of the season this past Sunday. Despite of not that much training and being rather conservative (to avoid injuries) I got to 2:08 time for the race. The time itself is not what really makes me happy: it's rather the fact that I was able to run with the same pace for the 12 miles, not feeling any pain, did not have to question myself if I was going too hard or two slow, it felt so perfect I thought I loved running half marathons!
Another thing is my muscles did not feel sore neither yesterday, nor today, and not after the race. As if nothing had happened. Just a little things that made me feel I actually did some good stuff with preparing for a race

How excellent!
2016-09-27 1:45 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Originally posted by marysia83

I'm getting ready for a winter of trainer sessions so have been busy downloading a crap load of TV to watch that have passed me by.

So far I have:

7 seasons of Mad Men

1 season of Mr Robot

I'm currently watching season 2 of Gotham of Netflix whilst at work when waiting for a load and am about to jump in to Designated Survivor. I've made a promise to myself that I'm not allowed to watch any of them unless I'm on the trainer or treadmill. Do any of you have any other suggestions? What are you in to at the moment? Anything coming up that I should look out for? I think I saw that Netflix was about to release a new Marvel series. I think it was the dude in Jessica Jones, Cage something?

There's a running film on Netflix I saw a while back that some of you may be interested. It's called Town of Runners.

I'm so jealous! I never have time to watch TV/movies. And when I finally find the time I will spend the whole night and feel like crap the following day I have a list of movies, not the series, that I would like to watch. Maybe think about some "must see" movies that you've never seen?

Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat. I only find time to watch stuff when at work in between loads {I'm a truck driver} this is the reason I plan on watching them on the trainer. I also have a shed load of films to get through, both downloaded and lined up on Netflix. Only the other day I finally got around to watching Lawrence of Arabia. I have a load of old ones that I want to see that have passed me by.

2016-09-27 1:46 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Originally posted by marysia83 I just want to share a bit of training achievement sort of things that I got. I did my last HM of the season this past Sunday. Despite of not that much training and being rather conservative (to avoid injuries) I got to 2:08 time for the race. The time itself is not what really makes me happy: it's rather the fact that I was able to run with the same pace for the 12 miles, not feeling any pain, did not have to question myself if I was going too hard or two slow, it felt so perfect I thought I loved running half marathons! Another thing is my muscles did not feel sore neither yesterday, nor today, and not after the race. As if nothing had happened. Just a little things that made me feel I actually did some good stuff with preparing for a race

Sweet!

2016-09-27 1:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by Atlantia Thanks for the suggestions! Now for a question about myself. How often should I be redoing my LT run test? I did my last one during the summer, and obviously heat and humidity make my HR higher. Should I do another one now that fall is here? And about HR in general....how individual is heart rate? I mean, I read people's race reports and they talk about their HR being "skyhigh" at 170. Ummmm, if I briskly walk up the hill from the store to my house, I'm at 165 easy. Running in the 160s feels normal to me, and I can hit 170 without feeling too out of breath. When I did my HR LT test, I got a threshold of 186. I've hit 193 during a 5k. Is my heart going to explode or something? My doctor has never said anything, but I've never come straight out and mentioned my max HR to her.

170 BPM is getting close to 5k pace for me, though I finish out a 5k at 200 bpm.  I typically run using the Maffetone method at 180-age, roughly 150 bpm.  That's Z3 for me.

I do think your HRs sound a bit high.  Seems strange to me that you're comfortable in the 160s-170s.

I mostly use Maffetone also, I get a lot fewer beats than you. Heart Rate is an individual thing. I might spike at 190, even on a 5k, but rarely do I get that high. My 5k average is around 155+-.
As for LT test it all depends on school of thought. I have friends that do them monthly and I have friends that do them annually at the start of the season. I will do one in January and then again in April on the trainer, just to see if I've improved with winter training. It's a tool, and the question is how important is the information you obtain from it to you.

Edited by JBacarella 2016-09-27 1:53 PM

2016-09-27 2:30 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by JBacarella

Originally posted by Atlantia Thanks for the suggestions! Now for a question about myself. How often should I be redoing my LT run test? I did my last one during the summer, and obviously heat and humidity make my HR higher. Should I do another one now that fall is here? And about HR in general....how individual is heart rate? I mean, I read people's race reports and they talk about their HR being "skyhigh" at 170. Ummmm, if I briskly walk up the hill from the store to my house, I'm at 165 easy. Running in the 160s feels normal to me, and I can hit 170 without feeling too out of breath. When I did my HR LT test, I got a threshold of 186. I've hit 193 during a 5k. Is my heart going to explode or something? My doctor has never said anything, but I've never come straight out and mentioned my max HR to her.

170 BPM is getting close to 5k pace for me, though I finish out a 5k at 200 bpm.  I typically run using the Maffetone method at 180-age, roughly 150 bpm.  That's Z3 for me.

I do think your HRs sound a bit high.  Seems strange to me that you're comfortable in the 160s-170s.

I mostly use Maffetone also, I get a lot fewer beats than you. Heart Rate is an individual thing. I might spike at 190, even on a 5k, but rarely do I get that high. My 5k average is around 155+-. As for LT test it all depends on school of thought. I have friends that do them monthly and I have friends that do them annually at the start of the season. I will do one in January and then again in April on the trainer, just to see if I've improved with winter training. It's a tool, and the question is how important is the information you obtain from it to you.

I will say that my HR acts quite a bit differently on the bike than on the run.  I have a hard time getting my HR up on the bike. If I'm in the 160s on the bike, I'm going super hard.

2016-09-27 3:17 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

Master
Northern IL

I mostly use Maffetone also, I get a lot fewer beats than you. Heart Rate is an individual thing. I might spike at 190, even on a 5k, but rarely do I get that high. My 5k average is around 155+-. As for LT test it all depends on school of thought. I have friends that do them monthly and I have friends that do them annually at the start of the season. I will do one in January and then again in April on the trainer, just to see if I've improved with winter training. It's a tool, and the question is how important is the information you obtain from it to you.

I will say that my HR acts quite a bit differently on the bike than on the run.  I have a hard time getting my HR up on the bike. If I'm in the 160s on the bike, I'm going super hard.

Most people need to use separate LTHR for the bike & run, with the run being higher. I'm one of the odd ones where they're quite close together. Enough that I can use the same points. Although they do climb a bit different. Running can increase more quickly than riding.

2016-09-27 3:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Im not a slave to my HR monitor but I am normally in the 150 - 160 range these past few weeks as I try to focus on my "go all day" endurance. 50km this weekend, Im nervous but know that I have done my training and certainly wont be a threat to the podium so I am doing it as a challenge and to enjoy it. Weather at this point is 70%chance of rain which is what I have expected given my luck with racing and rain this year. Shouldnt be an issue as my last 40+km run was in the rain and it worked out fine.

Also - bought a treadmill this past Sunday after killing our cheapie inherited one last winter. Happy about getting a decent one finally and am expecting delivery next week sometime. I might also be looking at an old school MTB that I might convert to single speed - Dont ask why as I wont be able to answer.
2016-09-27 3:45 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by DaveL Im not a slave to my HR monitor but I am normally in the 150 - 160 range these past few weeks as I try to focus on my "go all day" endurance. 50km this weekend, Im nervous but know that I have done my training and certainly wont be a threat to the podium so I am doing it as a challenge and to enjoy it. Weather at this point is 70%chance of rain which is what I have expected given my luck with racing and rain this year. Shouldnt be an issue as my last 40+km run was in the rain and it worked out fine. Also - bought a treadmill this past Sunday after killing our cheapie inherited one last winter. Happy about getting a decent one finally and am expecting delivery next week sometime. I might also be looking at an old school MTB that I might convert to single speed - Dont ask why as I wont be able to answer.

No explanation needed about the bike.  The formula for number of bikes needed has always been n + 1, where n is the number you currently have.

2016-09-27 6:57 PM

Master
Northern IL

Had a nice trainer workout planned for this evening, but the RD cable blew in the warm-up.  Blaming my nephew as it's his birthday. The same one that kicked me.

2016-09-28 5:16 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by laffinrock

Manatees, how I've missed you!!! (Well, except for TJ and Melanie, who I just saw a couple days ago. I miss you two too, just not as much.)

Thank you SO much for all the keep it ups, go get 'ems, and woot woots, both here and on my log. It's meant so much to me to know that even though it's hard for me to be active here, I still have lots of supportive wonderful friends who get this whole silly tri thing.

Quick update: my vision is about the same as it was in January. I have to be careful about spending too much time on the computer or my phone or I end up with a nasty headache and nausea. Other stuff still bothers me too, like seeing flashing lights and sparkling water, watching snow falling, etc. Oh, and I'm still waiting for the insurance company to decide about long term benefits. It's only been since April.... On the VERY plus side, I can run and bike farther than I've ever done in my life!! It's bittersweet that my race was a year and one day after I hit my head.

Not going to write a race report so I'll give you an overview: Beautiful clear day, wind, wind, more wind, HOT. The RD said in 20 years as an athlete and 9 years as an RD, he'd never seen such extreme conditions. I'm really glad I wasn't swimming. I was getting blown around just running the first 5K and the reservoir for the swim had some serious white caps. Winds were about 20-25 mph and gusting into the 35 mph range. That made for lots of fun on the bike. The hardest part in terms of elevation gain was all with a crosswind that darn near blew me off the road numerous times. I got some serious speed on a downhill with a tailwind, though. That was awesome!  The flat tire in the first 1/2 mile was not awesome. Then there was the 2nd "run." I've been having lots of problems with ab cramps when I run after riding. IDK if it's a nutrition/hydration issue or what. Anyway, it was a problem on Sunday in spades. I walked the vast majority of the 2nd run. There were some tears, there was some swearing (might have been some of that on the bike too), and I was incredibly grateful to have TJ there to run with me at the start of each lap. I also had dearest wonderfulest Alex on his bike at various points throughout the ride and run courses. I finished with two guys who were in the tri and were also walking. One has a 4 y.o. daughter who was at the finish chute with her pink pompom and crossed the finish line with him. It was adorable!! Alex, TJ, Melanie, Melanie's sister, and numerous teammates from my tri team cheered us across the line and a teammate gave me my finisher's medal. The only thing I missed was getting to do the Slip-n-Slide at the end. It flipped over in the 45+ mph wind gust that hit just before I started my 2nd lap of the run. After a loooong walk in the heat and sun, that would have felt reeeeally good!!

All told, I went 72.2 miles in 7:44:10. My target time was 7:30 so I came pretty close. There were things I could have done better (aren't there always?), but the bottom line is that I rode farther than I'd ever gone, I never once wanted to quit or thought I might not finish, I crossed the finish line with a smile, and am already thinking about which HIM I want to do next year. If I can't swim, I'll do a relay or duathlon. Either way, I'll do it. TJ made me laugh when she said she had no doubt that I'd finish because I'm so stubborn. I'd have said determined, but I guess stubborn might fit too.

So that's it in a (very large) nutshell. I'm at my limit for computer time now so I gotta go.  Thank you again to my very favorite tri people in the whole wide world!!

YOU. ARE. AN. IRONSUPERSTAR!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS HAPPYSTONED!!!

(Glitter SBR.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Glitter SBR.jpg (48KB - 3 downloads)
2016-09-28 12:40 PM

User image

Expert

It was explained to me as a conditioning issue. You are probably a better runner than a cyclist (I am), so you can't get your heart rate as high for a sustained period of time. It made sense to me at the time. Looking at what has happened over time, I think that was accurate. I was new to triathlon, just a couple of years in, and had never done year round training on the bike, when I started using Maffetone. At the time 20 minutes on the trainer was a big deal. Now that I ride/use the trainer year round, I can hold my heart rate for a longer time at a higher rate on the bike, but still not as high as I can running. My neighbor is a cyclist, he's dabbled in triathlon, but does not like swimming and is luke warm to running. He is capable of holding a higher heart rate for a sustained period on the bike.

Edited by JBacarella 2016-09-28 12:45 PM
2016-09-28 12:49 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Expert
Originally posted by DaveL

Im not a slave to my HR monitor but I am normally in the 150 - 160 range these past few weeks as I try to focus on my "go all day" endurance. 50km this weekend, Im nervous but know that I have done my training and certainly wont be a threat to the podium so I am doing it as a challenge and to enjoy it. Weather at this point is 70%chance of rain which is what I have expected given my luck with racing and rain this year. Shouldnt be an issue as my last 40+km run was in the rain and it worked out fine.

Also - bought a treadmill this past Sunday after killing our cheapie inherited one last winter. Happy about getting a decent one finally and am expecting delivery next week sometime. I might also be looking at an old school MTB that I might convert to single speed - Dont ask why as I wont be able to answer.

Your knees will thank you for picking up a better tread mill. The cushioning on the better treadmills makes an unbelievable difference.
2016-09-28 2:23 PM

Master
Northern IL

It was explained to me as a conditioning issue. You are probably a better runner than a cyclist (I am), so you can't get your heart rate as high for a sustained period of time. It made sense to me at the time. Looking at what has happened over time, I think that was accurate. I was new to triathlon, just a couple of years in, and had never done year round training on the bike, when I started using Maffetone. At the time 20 minutes on the trainer was a big deal. Now that I ride/use the trainer year round, I can hold my heart rate for a longer time at a higher rate on the bike, but still not as high as I can running. My neighbor is a cyclist, he's dabbled in triathlon, but does not like swimming and is luke warm to running. He is capable of holding a higher heart rate for a sustained period on the bike.

It is somewhat conditioning as what you hold can move around some with more or less of it, but the trend will end up showing running as being a bit higher. I can hold higher on the bike right now, but my bike fitness is a lot better than my run fitness. I can drive it up on the run, but don't have the conditioning to avoid an injury right now if I tried to hold something hard for very long.

James, I'm wondering how you managed to hit 190 if you're average anything close to 155 for a 5k. I don't have run stats handy, but for the bike I'll have an average around 180 if the peak is near or at 190 over a 20' interval. Are you sure those aren't signal artifacts or something else going on?

2016-09-28 5:31 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
HR is also higher for running for me--I think my LT tests (20 minute max effort) have all been about 173-176, and that doesn't seem to vary much over time, just how fast I can go at that pace. Since pretty much all my running is outdoors, there is a pretty big variation depending on temperatures. At the same HR, I go considerably faster in cooler conditions! I have hit 190 but that is really rare--as I recall the last time I saw that I was in the final minute of a tempo run in 90 degree weather, and had almost been hit by a motorbike! 140's/150's would be a typical long run for me, 160's is tempo effort, 170's I am finishing a hard run or racing. I would guess that in the longer races I usually do I don't get above 170's, if that. Getting above 175 usually makes me nauseous--not very sustainable for more than about 5 minutes.

Biking is a bit lower--I think threshold is in the 160's. Would have to check. I know that when I hit 167-168, I am well and truly suffering. Again, I haven't seen much variation in max heart rate. Did when I first started tri (I had trouble getting above 150 on the bike, maybe because I had little cycling background and didn't know how, or have the strength, to push hard), but not now. What varies is how much power I can put out at that HR. I see more day to day variation with that, for some reason, than with running. Especially true at the lower ends of my range--one day my HR might be 120 to put out 130 watts, and another day it's 135 to put out 120 watts, indoors in the AC at the same temps. Maybe has to do with gearing/cadence.

The weird thing about my HR is that it doesn't really show much upward "drift" when I am running or biking really hard. It rises pretty quickly to a certain point with max effort, pretty much stays there with little variation until I finish, and then comes down fairly quickly when I stop. At lower efforts, it tends to go up and down randomly by as much as ten beats, then it becomes much more steady (more of a flat graph) once I hit Z3 efforts. True whether or not I am using it to pace or able to see it on the display. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-09-28 5:41 PM

2016-09-28 6:44 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Steve bracelets are in!!

We have 200.

So I'm just thinking if you want some send me a message and tell me how many you want and ill send them to you. If you want to shoot me $5 that'd be cool too. If not that'll be my donation. My PayPal is my username at hotmail dot com

After distribution ill open it up to the bt community.

Then I'm writing up an online page with the American cancer society where we can make donations and upload pics etc. We'll dedicate November to popsracer. Once we get some traffic I'll send a not to his family and they can log on and check it out.

Sound good??

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2016-09-28 6:45 PM

(20160928_193852.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20160928_193852.jpg (2787KB - 3 downloads)
2016-09-28 8:07 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Steve bracelets are in!!

We have 200.

So I'm just thinking if you want some send me a message and tell me how many you want and ill send them to you. If you want to shoot me $5 that'd be cool too. If not that'll be my donation. My PayPal is my username at hotmail dot com

Then I'm writing up an online page with the American cancer society where we can make donations and upload pics etc. We'll dedicate November to popsracer. Once we get some traffic I'll send a not to his family and they can log on and check it out.

Sound good??

I absolutely love the idea. THANK YOU so much for organizing everything!
2016-09-28 10:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Steve bracelets are in!!

We have 200.

Sound good??
Sounds great thanks Randee
2016-09-29 4:16 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Steve bracelets are in!! We have 200. So I'm just thinking if you want some send me a message and tell me how many you want and ill send them to you. If you want to shoot me $5 that'd be cool too. If not that'll be my donation. My PayPal is my username at hotmail dot com After distribution ill open it up to the bt community. Then I'm writing up an online page with the American cancer society where we can make donations and upload pics etc. We'll dedicate November to popsracer. Once we get some traffic I'll send a not to his family and they can log on and check it out. Sound good??

outstanding!!

2016-09-29 6:08 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by Hot Runner

HR is also higher for running for me--I think my LT tests (20 minute max effort) have all been about 173-176, and that doesn't seem to vary much over time, just how fast I can go at that pace. Since pretty much all my running is outdoors, there is a pretty big variation depending on temperatures. At the same HR, I go considerably faster in cooler conditions!

You pretty much nailed it on that last sentence. When I had looked into cardiac drift before I read that temperature plays a big role in it. As the body warms up over a long run the heart beats faster. Running in hot weather obviously has a big effect in this as well. It also explains why most peoples biking HR is lower - you can stay a lot cooler on the bike as you are moving so much air over the body.

2016-09-29 6:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

Originally posted by DaveL

Your knees will thank you for picking up a better tread mill. The cushioning on the better treadmills makes an unbelievable difference.

Knees never gave me an issue on the old treadmill. What did was the herky jerky action as the belt slipped. To counter that I would tighten the belt but then it would overheat the motor and shut down after a few minutes. It seemed that there was no middle ground when doing the adjustments despite doing the smallest tweaking I could. I will be quite happy when the haul the thing out of my basement.
2016-09-29 6:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

Steve bracelets are in!!

We have 200.

Sound good??

thank you for doing this Randee, they look great. Paypal will be sent today.
2016-09-29 7:03 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

So far I have:

7 seasons of Mad Men

1 season of Mr Robot

Kevin's been watching The Strain (Hulu) on the trainer.

Bloodline (Netflix).  I like it.  Kevin hates it.  YMMV.

Oprhan Black (Amazon)

The Man in the High Castle (Amazon)

Humans (Amazon)

I've heard Stranger Things (Netflix) is really good but I haven't started that one yet.

I assume that you have Breaking Bad, The Americans, and Narcos covered?  Fargo (series, Hulu)?

I'm not sure Town of Runners is available in the US.  At least it didn't show up when I searched Netflix for it just now :-(

2016-09-29 7:31 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
There is a movie called "Tracktown" that was produced by two post-collegiate runners in Eugene, Oregon (my hometown). They're the same people who did the goofy short video, "The Elite Runner". I think I shared that before. Could that be the "Town of Runners"? I'm not sure "Tracktown" is on Netflix as I don't have access to it here. It was released at the LA Film Festival and there were some local showings in Eugene during the Olympic Trials, but I don't know if/when the general release is. My guess is if it does come out, it will be in smaller "art" type theaters. I couldn't score tickets this summer but would really like to see it!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.