BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-12-05 10:40 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by jmkizer

Now that Chris brought up IM Lou 2017, I think that the door is opened for 2017 plans.  What are your plans for 2017?

I'll start. My A races are Shamrock marathon in March and IM Lou in October.

So this got me looking at my 2017 calendar and this is what it currently looks like: 29 January - Oly Tri (A race) 19 February - Sprint Tri 12 March - Sprint Tri 2 April - Bridges 10km 28 May - HBF 12km 4 June - Elleker HM 2 July - Gold Coast Marathon (A Race) 23 July - Swan River 14km 6 August - Perth HM 27 August - City to Surf Marathon (A Race) 8 October - Freo HM 22 October - Rotto Marathon January 2018 - Disney Dopey Challenge Which on reflection might be a bit over the top, but most of these will be considered supported training runs rather than races.

That is quite the list! But if you are not racing all of them it could be a good way to get the miles in. Dopey is "one" of the races my running group has written plans for, so if you need some ideas for your plan let me know and I can probably track one down.     

I just looked up what the Dopey Challenge entails - a whole lotta running!  I think I'll pass.  It's at least 1 race too many for me, namely the marathon!  Kudos to those of you who are willing and able to complete such a feat!  For those who didn't look it up yet, it's a 5K Thursday, 10K Friday, 13.1 Saturday, 26.2 Sunday!  WOW!

i will never take the Dopey challenge! But, i know people who did it each year. Apparently, they love it! 

2016-12-05 2:41 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by cdban66

Now that Chris brought up IM Lou 2017, I think that the door is opened for 2017 plans.  What are your plans for 2017?

I am working through my schedule now. Probably do an Xterra race at some point this year. I need to figure out if it will be early or late in the season and their website isn't the most helpful. Some info, but not enough to make an extremely informed decision. Possible trail runs in the winter, early next year. Probably do a couple of the local sprint tri's as well.

My schedule is currently quite open, so if anyone has suggestions...

After checking DH's work schedule my "A" races are:

Oracle Rumble 50 miler in Tucson on January 28

C&O Canal 100 near Knoxville, MD on April 29-30. (Yes, there are two days because the cut-off for 100's is 30 hours)

A couple others I'm doing for "fun" are

The Pueblo Marathon in Colorado on Feb 19 (because I like the RD)

The Bataan Death March Memorial Marathon at White Sands Missile Range on Mar 19 with my RWB team

So you are sticking to the shorter events?

2016-12-05 2:43 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK Yanti finished in 16:55:25!!!

AMAZING!

2016-12-05 2:51 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner You can see Yanti finish if you go to the IM website--approximately nine or ten minutes from the end of the video. I think four or five more athletes finished after her; one lady with only 4 or 5 SECONDS left on the clock. It was like my first year at Vietnam 70.3--some older gentleman was in the final meters and really struggling (probably, given conditions that day, in final stages of heat exhaustion) and he was basically hauled over the line by the officials about a second before the clock hit 8:30! I did not have great Internet quality this morning so Yanti looked kind of blurred, but right after she finishes you can see her clearly in the lower right corner of the screen and she gives an awesome smile. Way to go and enjoy your recovery!

Thanks for posting this!  I just watched her :-D

2016-12-05 4:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

So this got me looking at my 2017 calendar and this is what it currently looks like: 29 January - Oly Tri (A race) 19 February - Sprint Tri 12 March - Sprint Tri 2 April - Bridges 10km 28 May - HBF 12km 4 June - Elleker HM 2 July - Gold Coast Marathon (A Race) 23 July - Swan River 14km 6 August - Perth HM 27 August - City to Surf Marathon (A Race) 8 October - Freo HM 22 October - Rotto Marathon January 2018 - Disney Dopey Challenge Which on reflection might be a bit over the top, but most of these will be considered supported training runs rather than races.

That is quite the list! But if you are not racing all of them it could be a good way to get the miles in. Dopey is "one" of the races my running group has written plans for, so if you need some ideas for your plan let me know and I can probably track one down.     

I just looked up what the Dopey Challenge entails - a whole lotta running!  I think I'll pass.  It's at least 1 race too many for me, namely the marathon!  Kudos to those of you who are willing and able to complete such a feat!  For those who didn't look it up yet, it's a 5K Thursday, 10K Friday, 13.1 Saturday, 26.2 Sunday!  WOW!

i will never take the Dopey challenge! But, i know people who did it each year. Apparently, they love it! 

I must admit that the Dopey Challenge was not my idea.

In August last year my friend K swore her way through a 12km walk (most of it was directed at me). When she finished she was adamant that she was never ever ever doing another one. A couple of weeks later she may have accidentally seen the bling and decided that she wanted them (she is a Disney freak). I explained what she needed to do to get them and convinced her that if she trained of course she could achieve that. So she has taken up running. The group has now expanded to include my mum and one of my sisters. So the 4 of us are heading to Disney.

Training wise we are working on shorter stuff now but come February we start with Hal Higdons novice marathon plan then 2 blocks of is 8 week marathon to marathon plan then into his dopey plan. Well that what I started to put together yesterday. I would love your thoughts on this.

Edited by StaceyK 2016-12-05 4:22 PM
2016-12-05 4:55 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyKI must admit that the Dopey Challenge was not my idea. In August last year my friend K swore her way through a 12km walk (most of it was directed at me). When she finished she was adamant that she was never ever ever doing another one. A couple of weeks later she may have accidentally seen the bling and decided that she wanted them (she is a Disney freak). I explained what she needed to do to get them and convinced her that if she trained of course she could achieve that. So she has taken up running. The group has now expanded to include my mum and one of my sisters. So the 4 of us are heading to Disney. Training wise we are working on shorter stuff now but come February we start with Hal Higdons novice marathon plan then 2 blocks of is 8 week marathon to marathon plan then into his dopey plan. Well that what I started to put together yesterday. I would love your thoughts on this.

Stacey, noticed you had three things marked as A race, but also said a number will just be supported training runs. Does that include any of the A races? Looking at the marathons in particular there. 

2016-12-05 6:37 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I must admit that the Dopey Challenge was not my idea. In August last year my friend K swore her way through a 12km walk (most of it was directed at me). When she finished she was adamant that she was never ever ever doing another one. A couple of weeks later she may have accidentally seen the bling and decided that she wanted them (she is a Disney freak). I explained what she needed to do to get them and convinced her that if she trained of course she could achieve that. So she has taken up running. The group has now expanded to include my mum and one of my sisters. So the 4 of us are heading to Disney. Training wise we are working on shorter stuff now but come February we start with Hal Higdons novice marathon plan then 2 blocks of is 8 week marathon to marathon plan then into his dopey plan. Well that what I started to put together yesterday. I would love your thoughts on this.

I remember when you first wrote about doing Dopey with your friend. She's certainly come a long way! Our new Dopey schedule will come out in June when people start training for 2018.  I'll shoot you a copy when it comes out.  Remind me!

2016-12-06 1:02 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Seattle
Oh my goodness, everyone is pulling together 2017 plans and committing to races! I've got to get my act together and pull the trigger on some things. I keep getting distracted by adventures. I'm going to run out of weekends and not do any races!
2016-12-06 6:44 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Asalzwed Oh my goodness, everyone is pulling together 2017 plans and committing to races! I've got to get my act together and pull the trigger on some things. I keep getting distracted by adventures. I'm going to run out of weekends and not do any races!

Adventures certainly count!

2016-12-06 8:32 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Any opinions on speed/cadence sensors?  Need a new one for the new P2.

2016-12-06 8:53 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Whatever magnetless one is least expensive.  We have both Garmin and Wahoo in the house. 

Clever Training has the Garmin one for $35 which seems like a very good price.

2016-12-06 9:05 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by StaceyKI must admit that the Dopey Challenge was not my idea. In August last year my friend K swore her way through a 12km walk (most of it was directed at me). When she finished she was adamant that she was never ever ever doing another one. A couple of weeks later she may have accidentally seen the bling and decided that she wanted them (she is a Disney freak). I explained what she needed to do to get them and convinced her that if she trained of course she could achieve that. So she has taken up running. The group has now expanded to include my mum and one of my sisters. So the 4 of us are heading to Disney. Training wise we are working on shorter stuff now but come February we start with Hal Higdons novice marathon plan then 2 blocks of is 8 week marathon to marathon plan then into his dopey plan. Well that what I started to put together yesterday. I would love your thoughts on this.

Stacey, noticed you had three things marked as A race, but also said a number will just be supported training runs. Does that include any of the A races? Looking at the marathons in particular there. 

So for us "A" races are more must do events than "kill yourself trying to reach a time goal races." Really all of 2017 is about training for the Dopey Challenge in 2018 but doing events helps the 4 of us stay motivated to train and gives us more bling.
2016-12-06 9:13 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

So for us "A" races are more must do events than "kill yourself trying to reach a time goal races." Really all of 2017 is about training for the Dopey Challenge in 2018 but doing events helps the 4 of us stay motivated to train and gives us more bling.

I totally understanding using events as motivation.  There's something about plunking down the money that makes it harder to skip, isn't there?

Be careful about following your training plan. Three marathons between July 2 and August 22 is a lot.  I would think that the focus would be on building a strong base in the first 8-9 months of the year and then beginning on your Dopey build but I've never done the event so it's just a guess.

2016-12-06 9:26 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I totally understanding using events as motivation.  There's something about plunking down the money that makes it harder to skip, isn't there?

Be careful about following your training plan. Three marathons between July 2 and August 22 is a lot.  I would think that the focus would be on building a strong base in the first 8-9 months of the year and then beginning on your Dopey build but I've never done the event so it's just a guess.

3 marathons EVER is a lot for me. Just sayin.

2016-12-06 12:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Whatever magnetless one is least expensive.  We have both Garmin and Wahoo in the house. 

Clever Training has the Garmin one for $35 which seems like a very good price.

Nice!

2016-12-06 12:10 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Hey all (waves, blushes on thinking about long absence here).

Found myself here today for the first time in a while and realized a couple things.  First is that I have really missed it!

Second, it's been a year since my mother passed, to the day - maybe my subconscious was saying it's time to get back after it!  We had a great Light The Night walk in Austin (LLS), and I was honored to chair it this year.  Almost there with my fundraising target to name a research grant after mum, which is exciting.  And at work, we've made real progress against cancer.  Good times coming out of hard ones, I suppose.  

The Better Half and I are doing two HMs (one as a training run, one as a run - not actually racing... yet), one in January (3M) and one in Feb (Austin half), and I've actually started on a training plan for the first time in nearly 1.5 years.  Forgot how much I love the way intervals suck.

Had to take a break for family (and some PT), and I think it's been long enough.  Now feeling the familiar tug to actually train and race again.  We'll see if it goes full on s/b/r in the spring.  Right now, I'm just enjoying intentionally having a race on the calendar again!

OK - gonna go back and try to catch up on pod happenings (well, maybe not 1.5 years' worth in one sitting).  Hope to see you round the joint.

Matt

2016-12-06 12:18 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by ceilidh

3 marathons EVER is a lot for me. Just sayin.

When I tell people I haven't done a marathon, I always sense this mixed confusion/disappointment.  "But, but, you're the endurance guy!"  Maybe.  Someday when I can prove to myself I won't break underneath the running mileage.

2016-12-06 1:06 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Found myself here today for the first time in a while and realized a couple things.  First is that I have really missed it!

Second, it's been a year since my mother passed, to the day - maybe my subconscious was saying it's time to get back after it!  We had a great Light The Night walk in Austin (LLS), and I was honored to chair it this year.  Almost there with my fundraising target to name a research grant after mum, which is exciting.  And at work, we've made real progress against cancer.  Good times coming out of hard ones, I suppose.  

The Better Half and I are doing two HMs (one as a training run, one as a run - not actually racing... yet), one in January (3M) and one in Feb (Austin half), and I've actually started on a training plan for the first time in nearly 1.5 years.  Forgot how much I love the way intervals suck.

Had to take a break for family (and some PT), and I think it's been long enough.  Now feeling the familiar tug to actually train and race again.  We'll see if it goes full on s/b/r in the spring.  Right now, I'm just enjoying intentionally having a race on the calendar again!

OK - gonna go back and try to catch up on pod happenings (well, maybe not 1.5 years' worth in one sitting).  Hope to see you round the joint.

Matt

Welcome back!

2016-12-06 1:19 PM

Master
Northern IL

That's what I was thinking too. That's a lot of long events and with planning seeming to be entirely marathon builds, that will be a lot of slugging out (really) long runs week after week for a good portion of the year. Hence wanting to be sure of what events are important to actually do vs ones just being done for fun along the way. The latter being put in to also help build towards the former.

I'm thinking more like Janyne is with building a strong running base for awhile and then the build in the last couple months.

2016-12-06 1:38 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Matt

Good to see you 'round these parts, welcome back!  Hugs on the anniversary of your mother's passing.  Thank you for all you and your company are doing to fight cancer, it's promising to hear you are making progress.

2016-12-06 3:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Matt

Great to see you Matt.

2016-12-06 5:47 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Matt

Good to see that things are going well, Matt. Keep fighting the good fight.

2016-12-06 11:13 PM

User image

Master

Matt

Nice to see you!  Thank you for what you and your company do for cancer research.  Your mom would be proud! 

2016-12-06 11:46 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Seattle
Welcome back, Matt! I did the light the night walk here in Seattle. What a great event!
2016-12-07 5:43 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Matt

welcome back! Glad to see you back at it!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.