BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-12-07 8:12 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
Dayton
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Hey all (waves, blushes on thinking about long absence here).

Found myself here today for the first time in a while and realized a couple things.  First is that I have really missed it!

Second, it's been a year since my mother passed, to the day - maybe my subconscious was saying it's time to get back after it!  We had a great Light The Night walk in Austin (LLS), and I was honored to chair it this year.  Almost there with my fundraising target to name a research grant after mum, which is exciting.  And at work, we've made real progress against cancer.  Good times coming out of hard ones, I suppose.  

The Better Half and I are doing two HMs (one as a training run, one as a run - not actually racing... yet), one in January (3M) and one in Feb (Austin half), and I've actually started on a training plan for the first time in nearly 1.5 years.  Forgot how much I love the way intervals suck.

Had to take a break for family (and some PT), and I think it's been long enough.  Now feeling the familiar tug to actually train and race again.  We'll see if it goes full on s/b/r in the spring.  Right now, I'm just enjoying intentionally having a race on the calendar again!

OK - gonna go back and try to catch up on pod happenings (well, maybe not 1.5 years' worth in one sitting).  Hope to see you round the joint.

Matt

I saw some workouts starting to hit Strava. Welcome back!

2016-12-07 10:45 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Thanks all!  Good to be back at it.

Did a run with Kim this morning in air so cold we were steaming afterwards.  I love the cool weather - and am not missing the snow and ice yet. 

Amazing how quickly the blood thins.  Was in NYC a week or two back and was freezing - but it was the same weather that two years ago would have had me out in shorts and a tee!

Matt

2016-12-07 10:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Any of the Texas Pod running either the 3M or the Austin HM (or M)?  Or CapTex 10k, for that matter - we usually at least show up for that crazy zoo of a race.

Just wondering - always nice to connect.

Matt

2016-12-07 5:46 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Welcome back! Yep--it boggles my mind to think that 20 below zero used to be my "cold limit" for running when I lived in China. Now I think anything under 70 is cold!
2016-12-07 6:44 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Master
Northern IL

Speaking of which, not liking pants when doing faster work now.

Do like not needing to add context to such a statement.

2016-12-07 10:45 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
No pants at 20 below could be dangerous indeed, no matter how fast you are!

2016-12-08 2:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
yeah there could be some dangerous frost bite involved with no pants.
2016-12-08 2:50 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
came across this today and it made me laugh and think of K who is only interested in events if there is "Bling" involved.

What was even funnier is that the other day we were going through our 2017 schedule and I totally swear she said to me
"oh Stacey don't stress its only a half marathon, we can do them easily now"
This from the girl who just over 12 months ago b!tched and cursed and swore her way through walking 10km and swore she was NEVER doing it again.

(would you.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
would you.jpg (25KB - 4 downloads)
2016-12-08 3:32 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
There have been quite a few times in the last few years, including Worlds, that probably the only reason I finished was to get the medal and the shirt......and to not have to explain to my class why I didn't!
2016-12-08 5:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by Hot Runner There have been quite a few times in the last few years, including Worlds, that probably the only reason I finished was to get the medal and the shirt......and to not have to explain to my class why I didn't!

Hey, I'm very motivated by medals!

2016-12-08 7:10 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot Runner No pants at 20 below could be dangerous indeed, no matter how fast you are!

More like 20 over this time as the cold is just setting in, but still not typically associated with terms such as "balmy". Decent wind out so not something to really fool around with.

2016-12-08 7:20 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
In each case (except Worlds--that was much more mental than physical distress!), I felt so awful coming off the bike that I really wasn't sure I could finish the run. (In two cases, probably due to really hard effort and also improper gearing on the bike; the other, illness). Only the thought of ending up with no shirt and no medal after all the suffering I'd already been through kept me going for the 4-5 km it took for me to feel like myself again (or, in the race where I was sick, for the entire way)! I remember saying to a friend who was cheerleading that day, "This is really a lot of work for a T-shirt!"

As for Worlds, well, there was no way in H.... I was going to forgo THAT medal and shirt. If they'd told me to ride the entire bike course over again, and then do the run twice, seriously, I would have done it!
2016-12-08 7:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by Hot Runner In each case (except Worlds--that was much more mental than physical distress!), I felt so awful coming off the bike that I really wasn't sure I could finish the run. (In two cases, probably due to really hard effort and also improper gearing on the bike; the other, illness). Only the thought of ending up with no shirt and no medal after all the suffering I'd already been through kept me going for the 4-5 km it took for me to feel like myself again (or, in the race where I was sick, for the entire way)! I remember saying to a friend who was cheerleading that day, "This is really a lot of work for a T-shirt!" As for Worlds, well, there was no way in H.... I was going to forgo THAT medal and shirt. If they'd told me to ride the entire bike course over again, and then do the run twice, seriously, I would have done it!

:D

I have a couple tie racks for my medals.  I always write on the back of them the finishing time, AG rank, and OA rank.  That way I'll have record of what I did long after Athlinks is toast.  Something to show the grandkids!

2016-12-08 10:00 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by Hot Runner There have been quite a few times in the last few years, including Worlds, that probably the only reason I finished was to get the medal and the shirt......and to not have to explain to my class why I didn't!

Hey, I'm very motivated by medals!

When I was steeped in the mental anguish of pushing myself to not be cut and knowing that I probably would be, one of my motivators was being able to hang the 50 mile medal at my desk (I usually have my most recent/longest medal there). After I was cut and went to the finish to get my drop bags and cheer the finishers I realized that nobody was getting medals!  That actually helped cushion the blow of the DNF  

2016-12-08 10:34 AM

User image

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by Hot Runner In each case (except Worlds--that was much more mental than physical distress!), I felt so awful coming off the bike that I really wasn't sure I could finish the run. (In two cases, probably due to really hard effort and also improper gearing on the bike; the other, illness). Only the thought of ending up with no shirt and no medal after all the suffering I'd already been through kept me going for the 4-5 km it took for me to feel like myself again (or, in the race where I was sick, for the entire way)! I remember saying to a friend who was cheerleading that day, "This is really a lot of work for a T-shirt!" As for Worlds, well, there was no way in H.... I was going to forgo THAT medal and shirt. If they'd told me to ride the entire bike course over again, and then do the run twice, seriously, I would have done it!

:D

I have a couple tie racks for my medals.  I always write on the back of them the finishing time, AG rank, and OA rank.  That way I'll have record of what I did long after Athlinks is toast.  Something to show the grandkids!

That's a great idea! The medals seem to be getting bigger and bigger so mine have been demoted from the tie rack to a hook in the garage. Thankfully they're hanging close to my bike trainer so I use them as motivation when I start slacking off.
2016-12-08 3:52 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
This is crazy, but all my HIM medals are hanging around the neck of a stuffed water buffalo (stuffed, as in stuff toy) He's a very cute water buffalo. I figure he can take the weight of the medals. I believe my prize run medals are around a Pink Panther that one of my students long ago gave me. Or maybe it's an Oregon Duck. Or both (at home in Oregon). I guess at some point I should grow up and get a proper display rack or case!

The finisher medals for less important/memorable races get repurposed and end up with my students or athletes for various accomplishments..

2016-12-08 7:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I write the date and time on the back of mine too and they are hung on the curtain rail in the room with my treadmill and bike.
Most of the tris here don't do finisher medals and you have to pick your run event to get them, although they are becoming more common at run events.
2016-12-09 6:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by StaceyK I write the date and time on the back of mine too and they are hung on the curtain rail in the room with my treadmill and bike. Most of the tris here don't do finisher medals and you have to pick your run event to get them, although they are becoming more common at run events.

A curtain rod is a cool idea.  That means people can see them.  Mine are tucked away in a closet.

2016-12-09 7:26 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK I write the date and time on the back of mine too and they are hung on the curtain rail in the room with my treadmill and bike. Most of the tris here don't do finisher medals and you have to pick your run event to get them, although they are becoming more common at run events.

In my area, HIM, IM, HM and marathon pretty much always have medals.  Other events, notsomuch.

2016-12-09 7:38 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Personally, I think when you get into the over three hour range, you deserve a medal just for training for it and finishing that turkey! With the shorter races, I guess it depends on the individual. For some people, finishing a 10K might be a long-term goal; for others, just a normal morning's run. I know there was a big argument about it on the general thread while back, and I believe I (or people who agreed with that) was called spoiled and entitled, but.....we're spending months on end training for these things, and hundreds of dollars just to enter--surely a little token of completion that one can show off or privately enjoy isn't too much to ask! I'm cool with a race up to half marathon or Oly that doesn't give finishers' medals (though some might not be); beyond that, it just seems kind of lame not to. And the shirt--otherwise, anyone could just go and BUY the event shirt!

OTOH, I do need to do something about my event shirt collection......I seriously have 37 years worth of them. Not always serious races, and some I don't even remember doing, but for some reason I cannot make myself get rid of the shirt, unless the race was so bad I just wanted to forget it.
2016-12-09 8:14 AM

Master
Northern IL

30 years of 8-12 events a year comes out to 240-360 medals. Quite a few shoe boxes worth.

2016-12-09 8:45 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I've kept all my race numbers (most of them pressed into a big old atlas - if anyone with GoogleMaps remembers what those are!).  Not so much the shirts - too dang many!  Have the medals mostly on hangers in the back of the closet (mine and Kim's have added up) with trophies (just a few of those) on various closet shelves.

Almost tossed them all in the last move, but got sentimental...  Had we both been actively racing and adding to the pile, it might have been a fresh start!

Matt

2016-12-09 9:48 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I've kept all my race numbers (most of them pressed into a big old atlas - if anyone with GoogleMaps remembers what those are!).  Not so much the shirts - too dang many!  Have the medals mostly on hangers in the back of the closet (mine and Kim's have added up) with trophies (just a few of those) on various closet shelves.

Almost tossed them all in the last move, but got sentimental...  Had we both been actively racing and adding to the pile, it might have been a fresh start!

Matt

I have a display thing for my wall that is basically a painted piece of wood with hooks.  I keep the most recent bib on top.  I like it :-D

It's similar to this one.  I really need to get a binder and put some of the older bibs away because my current one is kinda overflowing!

2016-12-09 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

December 10-11
Anne-Marie - Ragnar Trail Relay on Friday/Saturday
Robin NC - Hanukkah 8k on Saturday
Stacey
- Hillarys Tri on Sunday
Justin - Dallas Marathon on Sunday
Yanti - City of Joondalup Triathlon on Sunday (doing fly for the swim portion and wearing Crocs for the run)

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List:
Robin K. - under the weather

2016-12-09 10:08 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer

Matt

I have a display thing for my wall that is basically a painted piece of wood with hooks.  I keep the most recent bib on top.  I like it :-D

It's similar to this one.  I really need to get a binder and put some of the older bibs away because my current one is kinda overflowing!

I like that!! I'll show it to my hubby who could make one ... 

I've thrown out most of my bibs, keeping the medals instead.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.