General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Slowing down training runs.....Point of diminishing returns? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2016-10-05 5:45 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: Slowing down training runs.....Point of diminishing returns?
I want to go long in 2017. I'm either going to sign up for IM Boulder or IMNC. In order to do this. I need to build run volume quite a bit (over the coming months). In order to do that, I need to slow my runs down even more (I'm NOT a fast runner to begin with).

I did training runs the last two days (6.45 mi. and 5.5 mi.) at a pace that was relaxed (based on RPE) and probably 10 bpm lower than what I would have done a month or two back. Admittedly, the cooler weather may have something to do with the former and the latter. Conceded.

Is there a point of diminishing returns..........of slowing down....even though you're adding in both volume.....and time (time....based on it taking you longer to cover the same distance)? I'd still be running ALL my runs at "faster than IM" pace.

I'm assuming I'll need to work up to 40-50 mpw to not have the IM marathon totally destroy me.

Edited by nc452010 2016-10-05 5:46 AM

2016-10-05 7:16 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Slowing down training runs.....Point of diminishing returns?
I am not 100% clear on why you want to slow your runs down just because you are planning to add volume. If it were me, I would add volume in a sensible way, not increasing my weekly mileage more than 5-10% per week. I would add the volume on to each individual run rather than adding it all in to one much longer run. I would keep my paces consistent with what I had been doing. As you run more and more, you may actually find that you get faster not slower.

FWIW, my longer runs are 60-120 seconds per mile slower than my open marathon goal pace. My easy, recovery runs are 60-90 seconds per mile slower than open marathon pace. Tempo runs are at marathon pace. Interval work (which not everyone should be doing...?) are at one mile to 10k pace, depending on how long the interval is.

As far as goal mileage, if you are getting in significant swim and bike training, running 40-50 miles per week might be too much wear and tear on the body. That would be the mileage I would expect of a fairly elite IM racer. My fastest IM run ever I did top out at 45 miles per week, so take this with a grain of salt. 30-35 miles per week and arriving at the start line healthy would probably be more than adequate for most IM racers. Of course, this is my opinion. People will be all over the place on their recommendations.
2016-10-05 7:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by nc452010

1. Is there a point of diminishing returns..........of slowing down....even though you're adding in both volume.....and time (time....based on it taking you longer to cover the same distance)?

2. I'd still be running ALL my runs at "faster than IM" pace.

3. I'm assuming I'll need to work up to 40-50 mpw to not have the IM marathon totally destroy me.

I added numbers to your post so I can easily address them.

1. No, not really.  While an open marathon is all about running 26.2 miles as fast as you can, the Ironman marathon is all about running 26.2 miles without slowing down as much as you can.  They are not the same.  I'm a huge proponent of volume when it comes to running.  To be honest, there's almost no point in running fast (whatever that means to each person) in IM training for probably 95% of the AG field at a typical IM.  Run is rarely the limiter in performing well at an IM.  The actual limiters are bike fitness, bike pacing and execution, and swim fitness... and in that order.  Sure, some people are walking the IM marathon because they had less than ideal run training but most people are walking because they were undertrained on the bike, paced the bike like crap, and/or boogered their bike execution, to include nutrition and hydration.

2. Easy runs should be easy.  As in stupid easy.  Read about the polarized training approach, specifically some of Stephen Seiler's work.  The polarized training in a nutshell is everything is either really easy or really hard.  There's pretty much zero threshold training.  So if you're thinking in terms of Zone 1-5, 80% of your training is in Z1, low Z2 and 20% in high Z4, Z5.  There's nothing done in what I'd consider Z2.5 to Z4.5.

3. Depends on how you dice up that 40-50 mpw, how durable/old you are and all that.  40-50 mpw is not too bad if you're running 5-6x per week.  It's an awful lot if you're running 3x per week.  It can be an awful lot no matter the number of runs if you're older, and/or not used to that kind of mileage.  If you can't run 4-6x per week I would not worry about reaching 40-50 mpw.  Doing 45 miles on a typical triathlete training plan of 3 runs per week is probably a recipe for disaster as that's an average of 15 miles per run.  Of course, 40-50 might be a max week and not an average week but the same theory applies.

First time IM'ers stress so much about the run.  It honestly should be the least of your concerns.  You all need to stress about the bike.  For the typical AG'er (those not at the top 5% of their AG), it's almost all about the bike.  The bike sets up your entire day.  It's in and of itself the longest part of the race and sets up the second longest part of the day.  The swim only accounts for about 10% of your time in an IM.  What you do on the bike either accounts for or sets up the other 90%.  All those miles you ran in training means jacksh*t If you're not well trained or haven't executed well on the bike.  The Ironman field is littered with Boston Marathon qualifiers or Kona wannabes who rode their bike like fools and put in 5+ hour marathons.

I did one of my IM's on literally zero run training in the 5 months prior to the race due to injury.  I "ran" a 4:40 for that IM marathon, which certainly wasn't setting the world on fire, but I still outran 2/3rds of the field and I can almost guarantee I had the least amount of run training of the 3000 people out there.  I was just sure that I was in really good swim and bike shape, and executed my pacing and nutrition really well on the bike.

2016-10-05 7:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I've had an (and still it lingers) overuse injury (knee). I was at 20-25 mpw this year towards the end....where my two 70.3's fell. I'm trying to NOT get injured (again).

Yes.....the reason I'd go slower....is to add volume (with lower risk of injury).

I'm 52 (later this month)....and (to answer the last poster) I'd work up to 40-50 on 5 runs/wk. I did 20-25 this year on 4 runs/wk. After reading the last post (thanks!), maybe I'll scale that back to 35-40. I've done that volume, once, getting ready for an open HM.

Edited by nc452010 2016-10-05 7:33 AM
2016-10-05 7:52 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
One thing I failed to mention in the first post......

I've often heard that triathletes are notorious for going too hard on easy days........and too easy on hard days. That has a bearing on my questioning.

Thanks.
2016-10-05 9:07 AM

User image

, North Carolina
I was doing all easy runs back in the spring before a 5k and was able to PR on the 5k with a run that was close to 3 min/mile faster than my training pace.

I would say that you do need to slow down to get your milage up but you still need to do your weekly speed work.

2016-10-05 9:45 AM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by Nick B

I was doing all easy runs back in the spring before a 5k and was able to PR on the 5k with a run that was close to 3 min/mile faster than my training pace.

I would say that you do need to slow down to get your milage up but you still need to do your weekly speed work.

I'm not disputing/arguing your last point.....but I would ask "why"? If I'm only going to race long course for 2017 (at HIM and IM run pacing) why is speed work important? I'm simply curious. I suspect you're right.....and that speed is relative.
2016-10-05 11:53 AM
in reply to: #5200842

User image

, North Carolina
When I first started with polarized training i was only doing the slow side to build my mileage and stamina(maffetone). But what I found that as my heart and lungs got stronger my limiter became my muscular strength. I wasn't able to go any faster not due to being out of breath or tired. I physically couldn't run any faster. Now that I've added a speed/threshold work out I've seen another decrease in my easy run pace. I attribute that to stronger muscles
2016-10-05 3:26 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
This year was my first at running with a HRM. I used to do my longer runs (6 to 13 miles etc.) at a 8:00 to 8:15 cuz that's what I thought I was supposed to do. This year I ran to stay in Zone 2 so if theat meant running a 9:15 mile so be it. I PR'd my half marathon time this year. With zero speedwork my 5K's earlier in the year were O.K. not PR's but pretty good considering running with fractured ribs etc.

The best part about slowing down is that my PF has not come back so I'm doing well at preventing injury also.
2016-10-05 6:14 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Good stuff, guys!

Thanks.
2016-10-06 6:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by Nick BI would say that you do need to slow down to get your milage up but you still need to do your weekly speed work.

I completely disagree with the bolded part.  He's 52 and doing HIM and IM.  Running fast isn't really something that he needs in his toolbox at the moment.  Consistency, durability, recovery, and volume should be his primary concerns and adding speed work diminishes each and every one of those.

He's not in his 20's or 30's and trying to kill the local short course circuit.

2016-10-06 7:53 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by Nick BI would say that you do need to slow down to get your milage up but you still need to do your weekly speed work.

I completely disagree with the bolded part.  He's 52 and doing HIM and IM.  Running fast isn't really something that he needs in his toolbox at the moment.  Consistency, durability, recovery, and volume should be his primary concerns and adding speed work diminishes each and every one of those.

What do you consider speed work here, as that can vary. Mostly seeing how this would work in with the polarized approach brought up earlier as that does have regular harder workouts.

2016-10-06 9:11 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by reecealan This year was my first at running with a HRM. I used to do my longer runs (6 to 13 miles etc.) at a 8:00 to 8:15 cuz that's what I thought I was supposed to do. This year I ran to stay in Zone 2 so if theat meant running a 9:15 mile so be it. I PR'd my half marathon time this year. With zero speedwork my 5K's earlier in the year were O.K. not PR's but pretty good considering running with fractured ribs etc. The best part about slowing down is that my PF has not come back so I'm doing well at preventing injury also.

My n=1 experience is similar to above.  I used to pace my longer runs by feel, but based on the VDOT calculator, I was running too fast.  If you haven't done so already, try plugging a recent 5 K or 10 K race time into the calculator to see what your easy pace should be:

VDOT Calculator

I also have the same experience with speedwork.  I'm 45 and in the past few years every time I tried to include speed sessions in my training I would end up with an injury.  Since last fall I decided to ditch the speedwork and only run at an easy pace with 90% on the treadmill.  Although I haven't raced an open 5 K or 10 K in quite awhile, for a few Sprint tris this summer my run split was only a few seconds slower than my PB for an open 5 K.

2016-10-06 10:02 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Lots of goof stuff here that I won't rehash.

But one thing was glossed over. Knee injury.

What is/was it? How did you recover after? etc.
2016-10-06 10:27 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I've seen one very reputable Ortho......and one exercise physiologist. There's nothing structurally wrong with my knee. It falls into the old....."Runner's Knee" catch-all. It's stiff, now (when I try to bend it a lot), but I have almost no pain from it, anymore. The more i use it, the better it feels. To some, that may not seem logical. But, it is what it is.

I was a catcher in college......but, I've never had knee issues, past this. I started to try to get back into tris, last summer. I had to stop running 2 separate times (again...a year ago). I've been running now for about a year. Peak week of 30 miles, before my last HIM. I plan to run 25 mpw, all winter.....at a pace that's in-line with the link provided above.
2016-10-06 1:14 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

I did one of my IM's on literally zero run training in the 5 months prior to the race due to injury.  I "ran" a 4:40 for that IM marathon, which certainly wasn't setting the world on fire, but I still outran 2/3rds of the field and I can almost guarantee I had the least amount of run training of the 3000 people out there.  I was just sure that I was in really good swim and bike shape, and executed my pacing and nutrition really well on the bike.

I did a Sprint Triathlon on literally zero bike and zero swim training in 2008.  I was NOT a triathlete.  I didn't have a bike.  I didn't have access to a pool.  I was a runner through so I did my favorite 12 week 1/2 marathon training plan consisting of 35-45 miles per week to be sure that I was in really good run shape and then bought a swim suit and googles the night before the race and borrow a race bike for the event and road it with platform pedals.  I didn't do the race to be the fastest Triathlete I could be.  I did it to support friends who were doing the race and prepared to be a runner doing a triathlon as a fun cross training day.  My swim pace was 2:17 min/100yd which put me at the back of the pack for a 500 yd pool swim.  My bike pace was around 21 MPH which put me at the front of the pack.  I was the 2nd fastest run time of the entire event (ya... there were only 235 people, but that is still 233 people that I beat on the run and they ALL had better swim and bike fitness than me).  

I realize that there is a huge difference in the training and pacing plans for an Iron distance event and a sprint event, but I learned that if you put in the run training that even if your swim and bike training are sub par that your run fitness will carry you through the run.  I had only run off a bike once in my life before that race (and it was in 2002) so I was in no way prepared for that jello feeling in my legs nor that lactate burn from over doing it on the bike.  My run felt really slow to me and I was sure that I would be middle of the pack competing with seasoned Triathletes that knew how to pace the bike leg and who were used to running off the bike.  My run time was 12% over the open run time I had been doing but when I say how slow Triathletes are at running and what my run ranking was I was really happy with the way things ended.  You always hear people talk about "Swim Fitness", "Bike Fitness", "Run Fitness" but the truth is that you can't separate the three.  You can increase your "fitness" through swimming, cycling, running, core work, weight training, cross fit, etc.  All of it goes into your over all "fitness". Balancing the the type of training you do will help you be more efficient but your "fitness" is either going to be adequate or inadequate.  If you are running 75 miles a week it is probably going to be adequate even if you have zero miles on the bike.  If you are doing 300 mile a week on the bike it is probably going to be adequate even if you have zero miles running, etc. 

Edited by BlueBoy26 2016-10-06 1:22 PM

2016-10-06 1:14 PM

User image

I'll offer my .02 in addition to the above as one on the cusp of 50 and training for my third IM.  Never been accused of being fast.   Two years ago I had some shorter races and my coach had me doing some track workouts, resulted in a 10K PR during an Oly race (don't race many standalone runs).

This year, with the benefit of a few years of run training and an MAT practitioner keeping me healthy, I am running 30-35 mpw without injury and without a punishing long long weekend run requiring a longer recovery period (used to get injuries any time I tried to get over 25 mpw).  Running consistently 6 days a week.  Goal has been to end every run as if I could easily run another mile. No speedwork whatsoever save a few :30 pickups during a longer run. 

I've had two longer distance races this year under this protocol, the first one was an almost half at 1-34-10, in which my best run was at a 8:50 pace a couple years ago.  This year I ran an 8:15 pace.  Last month did a swim/run race (with a bike at the front), 18 miles of running over three runs, 4.5 miles, 5.5 miles, 8 miles and 1 mile.  Improved on the 5.5 and 8 mile legs by several minutes. No speedwork.

I'll highlight the above by GMAN, "consistency, durability, recovery and volume."  Taking care of the former will cover the latter.  I've logged my biggest months ever this year volume wise without even thinking about it, just getting the runs in day after day.  30-35 MPW should be more than sufficient to get you successfully thru an IM run (i.e finish), might even finish well if you really work on your pacing 

Last thought, IM marathon is unlike anything you've ever done before.  At mile 8 you're thinking "I could run this pace forever," but by mile 13 you're walking.  The run can unravel on you SUPER fast, and it's not about how fast you can run now, but how fast you can run now and still be running 20 miles later.  If you're running the last 10K of an IM, you're ahead of the vast majority of the field.  But that process goes all the way back to the beginning of the race (i'd argue it goes to the swim, not just the bike).  

ETA BTW, 2 IMs and 15 or so halfs, I have to disagree with the above  ^^ comment that run fitness will get you through run.  In an ironman, run fitness will not get you through if you have little swim or bike fitness (something will always be subpar most likely, we have families and jobs and ....) .  If you are cooked after the swim your day is shot.  If you are cooked after the bike your day is shot.  

"If you are running 75 miles a week it is probably going to be adequate even if you have zero miles on the bike.  If you are doing 300 mile a week on the bike it is probably going to be adequate even if you have zero miles running, etc."   Sorry, that is really bad advice for long course training or racing

Edited by ChrisM 2016-10-06 1:21 PM
2016-10-06 2:24 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I'm going to second the thought about not stressing on the run. I find a lot of triathletes get around their runner friends and get this idea in their head they need to hit a 20 mile run and all the supporting volume in order to do the IM marathon. It's simply not the case!

As long as your not completely ill prepared for the swim, what you do on the bike will set up your entire race. Having a powermeter and sticking with a normalized power number will really help with this. If you execute properly, you will be amazed at how many people you will pass on the run, but just being able to "run" the marathon.

As far as volume goes, again I would focus more on bike volume. But you can run 3-4 days a week. I believe building to a 16-18 mile run, along with supporting volume is sufficient. You can even break up some of those long runs as well with duathlon training days. 40 miles a week though is completely un-necessary and will probably take away from your bike and make thing even harder for you on the run.
2016-10-06 2:53 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

...  You always hear people talk about "Swim Fitness", "Bike Fitness", "Run Fitness" but the truth is that you can't separate the three.  You can increase your "fitness" through swimming, cycling, running, core work, weight training, cross fit, etc.  All of it goes into your over all "fitness". Balancing the the type of training you do will help you be more efficient but your "fitness" is either going to be adequate or inadequate.  If you are running 75 miles a week it is probably going to be adequate even if you have zero miles on the bike.  If you are doing 300 mile a week on the bike it is probably going to be adequate even if you have zero miles running, etc. 

No.  Just about everything about that statement is wrong.  "Fitness" is comprised of biomechanical, biochemical, and neuro-muscular components.  This statement only considers the biochemical with a slight nod to biomechanical, and completely ignores neuro-muscular.  This is why periodization (the concept that training should progress from general to specific) and the principle of specificity are crucial to the success of any athlete, but especially multisport endurance athletes in general, and even more so for those racing long course.  At the sprint distance, someone who just wants to finish and have fun can get away with what you suggest, but at the HIM and IM distance, that's a good recipe for implosion.

Chris's and Brian's posts above give pretty good answers.

2016-10-06 9:33 PM
in reply to: #5200842

Sarasota, Florida
Just from my short lived experience i have to agree with trimybest. Maybe shedding some weight can help some in all three but for me, a relatively fit guy before i began, i do not notice gains cross over. That's actually what has driven me away from tri some. Improving 3 disciplines is just too much work! I love it, but being the systematic competitive person i am it just no longer meshes with my life goals and commitments. No doubt I'm going to enjoy all three for many years to come and continue racing, just not at the same time.
2016-10-07 7:02 AM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Thanks again for all the input. Really interesting conversation.

I'm not sure on crossover fitness, either. But, I keep hearing (from people I know......who should know what they're talking about) that the best way to improve your IM run..........is to bike..... a LOT. I can read between the lines on that one.

2016-10-07 10:01 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by nc452010 Thanks again for all the input. Really interesting conversation. I'm not sure on crossover fitness, either. But, I keep hearing (from people I know......who should know what they're talking about) that the best way to improve your IM run..........is to bike..... a LOT. I can read between the lines on that one.

You're either misinterpreting what they're saying, or listening to the wrong people.

A high level of bike fitness combined with good pacing is needed to set up the potential for a good run, but it doesn't do anything directly for the ability to run well.

It takes a high level of swim fitness, bike fitness, and run fitness, combined with good pacing through all three legs, to have a good run.  A shortfall in any of those 4 areas will lead to a run fail.  There are no substitutes.

2016-10-07 10:22 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by nc452010 Thanks again for all the input. Really interesting conversation. I'm not sure on crossover fitness, either. But, I keep hearing (from people I know......who should know what they're talking about) that the best way to improve your IM run..........is to bike..... a LOT. I can read between the lines on that one.

You're either misinterpreting what they're saying, or listening to the wrong people.

A high level of bike fitness combined with good pacing is needed to set up the potential for a good run, but it doesn't do anything directly for the ability to run well.

It takes a high level of swim fitness, bike fitness, and run fitness, combined with good pacing through all three legs, to have a good run.  A shortfall in any of those 4 areas will lead to a run fail.  There are no substitutes.

I disagree with this, but only because "no substitutes" is a big phrase. I ultimately think you and I are on the same page, but there are "some" substitutes. Mainly, to cut down on typically marathon training run volume (like the 40-45mpw discussed), and substitute some more bike time. Doesn't mean you can get away with "no" running though. Within an IM training plan more focus on the bike is much more constructive to setting up a good run for a lot of athletes. It's also true that some fitness from the bike does carry over to the run. Especially, when your talking about some climbing training on the bike. As athletes age, and recovery time becomes more of issue, it's also more constructive to use the bike more to improve the run this way because it's easier to recover from.
2016-10-07 10:26 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Oakville

OK my apologies in advance for the threadjack, but based on the bolded statement in Don's post above, I want to throw this out there. 

I have read from the experts and heard on BT that "more time on the bike will improve your run" is one of the big myths of triathlon.  But using an example of a reasonably fit person training for a 5K with 2 training options - (a) run 4 times a week, or (b) run the same 4 times a week plus 3 bike sessions.  I know all the coaches and experts will say that the bike training will not directly translate to running improvements, but this is one of the myths that I struggle to accept. Wouldn't the training plan with the bike sessions lead to a faster 5K time?  Wouldn't they simply have more fitness?  Or does the research show that there is absolutely no benefit to adding in bike sessions when you are training for a running race?  Convince me that this is truly a myth. 

2016-10-07 10:34 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Originally posted by Scott71

OK my apologies in advance for the threadjack, but based on the bolded statement in Don's post above, I want to throw this out there. 

I have read from the experts and heard on BT that "more time on the bike will improve your run" is one of the big myths of triathlon.  But using an example of a reasonably fit person training for a 5K with 2 training options - (a) run 4 times a week, or (b) run the same 4 times a week plus 3 bike sessions.  I know all the coaches and experts will say that the bike training will not directly translate to running improvements, but this is one of the myths that I struggle to accept. Wouldn't the training plan with the bike sessions lead to a faster 5K time?  Wouldn't they simply have more fitness?  Or does the research show that there is absolutely no benefit to adding in bike sessions when you are training for a running race?  Convince me that this is truly a myth. 

comparing an IM run with a 5k run is pretty meaningless in this scenario. Plus, it depends on the course. A lot of todays IMs have a fair amount of climbing. I find climbing on the bike carries over nicely to climbing on the run. I'm not saying you can substitute completely, but it certainly compliments each other.

****edit
I'd also add, that when you're talking about an IM plan, you have a greater need to manage recovery and consider time availability and allotment. When it comes down to balancing the 3 disciplines, with that in mind, you can still have a solid IM run without a 40-45 mpw run. With a 40-45mpw run, you may be limiting an athletes time to put enough focus on the bike, or inhibiting recovery and compromising quality of other workouts necessary to set up for a solid IM run

Edited by Meulen 2016-10-07 10:44 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Slowing down training runs.....Point of diminishing returns? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Getting Down, Getting Down, Trying to ride the weight loss train to Kona

Started by vagus
Views: 1305 Posts: 1

2012-04-30 10:44 AM vagus

Diminishing returns while fatigued in the pool Pages: 1 2 3

Started by BernardDogs
Views: 4231 Posts: 73

2012-01-14 8:43 AM alath

running: higher heart rate when slowing down?

Started by feh
Views: 745 Posts: 6

2011-02-21 3:13 PM JeffY

How much is too much? (diminishing returns)

Started by cevans
Views: 1277 Posts: 20

2006-05-09 3:45 PM cevans

The point of no return!!!

Started by phoenixazul
Views: 602 Posts: 3

2006-01-11 7:49 AM O2BFast
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2006
author : sportfactory
comments : 0
Is there a point of diminishing returns? At some point, age catches up with us all. In general, as we age, VO2 max decreases, body fat increases, and muscular strength drops off.