General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Slowing down training runs.....Point of diminishing returns? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2016-10-07 10:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Slowing down training runs.....Point of diminishing returns?

Originally posted by Meulen
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by nc452010 Thanks again for all the input. Really interesting conversation. I'm not sure on crossover fitness, either. But, I keep hearing (from people I know......who should know what they're talking about) that the best way to improve your IM run..........is to bike..... a LOT. I can read between the lines on that one.

You're either misinterpreting what they're saying, or listening to the wrong people.

A high level of bike fitness combined with good pacing is needed to set up the potential for a good run, but it doesn't do anything directly for the ability to run well.

It takes a high level of swim fitness, bike fitness, and run fitness, combined with good pacing through all three legs, to have a good run.  A shortfall in any of those 4 areas will lead to a run fail.  There are no substitutes.

I disagree with this, but only because "no substitutes" is a big phrase. I ultimately think you and I are on the same page, but there are "some" substitutes. Mainly, to cut down on typically marathon training run volume (like the 40-45mpw discussed), and substitute some more bike time. Doesn't mean you can get away with "no" running though. Within an IM training plan more focus on the bike is much more constructive to setting up a good run for a lot of athletes. It's also true that some fitness from the bike does carry over to the run. Especially, when your talking about some climbing training on the bike. As athletes age, and recovery time becomes more of issue, it's also more constructive to use the bike more to improve the run this way because it's easier to recover from.

I mostly agree with you.  By "no substitutes", I wasn't referring to the compromises that need to be made when training for triathlon.  I was referring to the idea that substituting training in one discipline for training in another is an equal trade.

Where I disagree is the implication in your last sentence that bike training can be an equal trade for run training.  As I said above, it can have an indirect impact due to greater biochemical adaptations, and a bit of biomechanical adaptations, but it's not a 1:1 substitute for run training.  It's a compromise that's made to deal with situations like injuries or limited training time.

Edited by TriMyBest 2016-10-07 10:35 AM

2016-10-07 10:47 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

Originally posted by Meulen

Originally posted by nc452010 Thanks again for all the input. Really interesting conversation. I'm not sure on crossover fitness, either. But, I keep hearing (from people I know......who should know what they're talking about) that the best way to improve your IM run..........is to bike..... a LOT. I can read between the lines on that one.

You're either misinterpreting what they're saying, or listening to the wrong people.

A high level of bike fitness combined with good pacing is needed to set up the potential for a good run, but it doesn't do anything directly for the ability to run well.

It takes a high level of swim fitness, bike fitness, and run fitness, combined with good pacing through all three legs, to have a good run.  A shortfall in any of those 4 areas will lead to a run fail.  There are no substitutes.

I disagree with this, but only because "no substitutes" is a big phrase. I ultimately think you and I are on the same page, but there are "some" substitutes. Mainly, to cut down on typically marathon training run volume (like the 40-45mpw discussed), and substitute some more bike time. Doesn't mean you can get away with "no" running though. Within an IM training plan more focus on the bike is much more constructive to setting up a good run for a lot of athletes. It's also true that some fitness from the bike does carry over to the run. Especially, when your talking about some climbing training on the bike. As athletes age, and recovery time becomes more of issue, it's also more constructive to use the bike more to improve the run this way because it's easier to recover from.

I mostly agree with you.  By "no substitutes", I wasn't referring to the compromises that need to be made when training for triathlon.  I was referring to the idea that substituting training in one discipline for training in another is an equal trade.

Where I disagree is the implication in your last sentence that bike training can be an equal trade for run training.  As I said above, it can have an indirect impact due to greater biochemical adaptations, and a bit of biomechanical adaptations, but it's not a 1:1 substitute for run training.  It's a compromise that's made to deal with situations like injuries or limited training time.

agreed, definitely not 1:1. I wasn't implying that was the case, only that a greater focus on the bike in the balance of the 3 disciplines was more constructive in certain scenarios. But they are great compliments and help greatly with time considerations and the opportunity to add to CTL without concern for injury. Also works great for injury prevention and age considerations.

Edited by Meulen 2016-10-07 10:54 AM
2016-10-07 11:35 AM
in reply to: Meulen

User image

Good discussion guys.   For us aging athletes, we definitely need to be aware and conscious of the amount of stress we put on our bodies especially if training for something as silly ( ) as an IM, this is the kind of info i think is helpful to the OP and others (me) training for these distances.

2016-10-07 12:20 PM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
For the OP (and skipping all the replies in between...there is a ton of good info there).

I'd suggest simple working on running consistently, supporting strength work as needed (whole 'nuther thread), general fitness (take up cyclocross, mtb if you don't already, some grown up ultimate frisbee, maybe maybe maybe an INTRO to cross fit class without getting caught up in the WODs), and focus on making your 8-13 mile runs your fitness target. Eg by the end of February focus on improving your 10 mile run pace. Speed in events from 2miles clear up to 13+ miles can reflect an imrpoveemnt in your aerobic fitness adn the more aerobically fit you are *for running* the easier it will be to add those final 5-10 miles to your long run target pre IM.

Do some field tests:
2 mile
3 mile
5 mile
10 mile
Runs for best time. Put these on a log/log graph in excel and see if the best fit line through 2-5 is the same as a best fit line through 5-10. Find where your current "speed" breaks down and you just need to keep goign slow. Then work on improving your fitness at that breakpoint.

There are some really cool ways to do this , but I take this approach of performance modeling over distance with nearly all of my athletes to faind the area where putting time in will really pay off for the next segment of their training. Take it month by month... it's october...between now & thanksgiving continue to just run 4-5 times a week, supporting your current volume and adding 10-20% total volume between now and then. Just make your curretn 1 hour run (assuming that's your current long run) become really really easy and efficient. Follow a BarryP type plan for 2 months. Check your run pace on a track at an aerobic HR (lots of ways to find this).

Then give yourself 3-6 week projects to imrpove your 5k time, imrpove your 5mile time, improve your 10k time. Run a half-marathon in February.

Then you'll have an outstanding base with speed improvements and little likelyhood of injury before you "go long" starting in March for an early June IM.
2016-10-07 12:29 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

No.  Just about everything about that statement is wrong.  "Fitness" is comprised of biomechanical, biochemical, and neuro-muscular components.  

Well stated Don. Not to mention cardiovascular which has overlap with all of those. Central vs. Peripheral conditioning are part of what makes 300 mpw on the bike not carry over to even making a 2-3 mile run anywhere close to what it could be without additional running.

Andy Coggan (author of racing & training with a power meter) posted some nice personal graphs demonstrating exactly that on his facebook feed last winter. His run efficiency with run training vs. his run efficiency with bike training.
2016-10-07 1:03 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

I'm POSITIVE you're misinterpreting what they're saying.

It's not rocket science to figure that the most likely cause of a bad IM marathon.........is being under-prepared for the IM bike (or, in many cases, over-biking one's abilities).

So, if one were to bike......a LOT....they could reduce the risk of their bike fitness level (or, lack thereof).....affecting their run.

You still mad about the drafting thread......lol?

2016-10-07 1:04 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by AdventureBear

For the OP (and skipping all the replies in between...there is a ton of good info there).

I'd suggest simple working on running consistently, supporting strength work as needed (whole 'nuther thread), general fitness (take up cyclocross, mtb if you don't already, some grown up ultimate frisbee, maybe maybe maybe an INTRO to cross fit class without getting caught up in the WODs), and focus on making your 8-13 mile runs your fitness target. Eg by the end of February focus on improving your 10 mile run pace. Speed in events from 2miles clear up to 13+ miles can reflect an imrpoveemnt in your aerobic fitness adn the more aerobically fit you are *for running* the easier it will be to add those final 5-10 miles to your long run target pre IM.

Do some field tests:
2 mile
3 mile
5 mile
10 mile
Runs for best time. Put these on a log/log graph in excel and see if the best fit line through 2-5 is the same as a best fit line through 5-10. Find where your current "speed" breaks down and you just need to keep goign slow. Then work on improving your fitness at that breakpoint.

There are some really cool ways to do this , but I take this approach of performance modeling over distance with nearly all of my athletes to faind the area where putting time in will really pay off for the next segment of their training. Take it month by month... it's october...between now & thanksgiving continue to just run 4-5 times a week, supporting your current volume and adding 10-20% total volume between now and then. Just make your curretn 1 hour run (assuming that's your current long run) become really really easy and efficient. Follow a BarryP type plan for 2 months. Check your run pace on a track at an aerobic HR (lots of ways to find this).

Then give yourself 3-6 week projects to imrpove your 5k time, imrpove your 5mile time, improve your 10k time. Run a half-marathon in February.

Then you'll have an outstanding base with speed improvements and little likelyhood of injury before you "go long" starting in March for an early June IM.

Thanks. I'll print this out.
2016-10-07 1:45 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by nc452010

I'm POSITIVE you're misinterpreting what they're saying. It's not rocket science to figure that the most likely cause of a bad IM marathon.........is being under-prepared for the IM bike (or, in many cases, over-biking one's abilities). So, if one were to bike......a LOT....they could reduce the risk of their bike fitness level (or, lack thereof).....affecting their run. You still mad about the drafting thread......lol?

Drafting thread???

That's the "good pacing" part of my post.  An inexperienced athlete can benefit from a higher level of bike fitness like you hypothesize, because they're less likely to over cook the bike if their FTP "ceiling" is higher (IME, inexperienced athletes are more likely to chase the clock instead of pacing properly based on HR, power, or RPE - their RPE frequently isn't "calibrated" well enough to permit good pacing), but regardless of bike fitness, it's still possible to ride harder than they should, and blow up on the run.

Watch the pro's at Kona this Saturday.  At that race in particular, you'll see the fastest long course athletes in the world gambling to an extent on their bike pacing, so there are always some who implode on the run, and either limp it in much slower than they'd otherwise be capable of, or pull out with a DNF.

Regardless of fitness level (assuming at least a minimal amount, and we're not talking about someone who's coming off the couch), it's possible to adjust pacing to get through most HIM and IM events without undue suffering.  I had an athlete at IMMD this past weekend who had a bad bike accident in May which cost him 2+months of training, leaving only about 8 weeks for final race prep.  Taking a DNS would have been an option, but for a variety of reasons, he and I decided he would still do the race, but with the goal of enjoying the day instead of racing for a PR.  Since he's an experienced athlete with a number of HIM's behind him, and he'd done IMMD before, we could adjust the intensity of his race so that he could go out and enjoy the event in a respectable time, even though his longest bike this year was less than 80 miles and his longest single run was about 14 (total 17 in a day by splitting the long runs into 2 parts to push both the volume and long day distance while still managing injury risk) with total weekly volume that only peaked at about 12 hours.  He uses HR and RPE, so we adjusted his bike from zone 2 / RPE 2-3 down to high zone 1 / RPE 1 to leave enough matches to still run well.

The point is that it's not bike fitness that sets up a good run.  It's something you alluded to above:  bike pacing relative to fitness.  It's not always as simple as riding at a given % of LTHR or FTP.  Depending on overall fitness levels, those targets need to be adjusted to achieve a particular athlete's best performance on a particular day.

2016-10-07 2:03 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

The point is that it's not bike fitness that sets up a good run.  It's something you alluded to above:  bike pacing relative to fitness.  It's not always as simple as riding at a given % of LTHR or FTP.  Depending on overall fitness levels, those targets need to be adjusted to achieve a particular athlete's best performance on a particular day.

Once again, I'm positive you misinterpreted what I wrote (and what people were telling me). I'm not eluding to anything other than what I just told you a post or two ago.

If you bike more...........you're less likely to have an unpleasant IM marathon............everything else remaining constant.

Do you disagree with that statement?
2016-10-07 2:28 PM

User image

Pro

It's the best runners who always end up having the best runs, not the best cyclists.......there is THAT.  

2016-10-07 2:34 PM

User image

------

Once again, I'm positive you misinterpreted what I wrote (and what people were telling me). I'm not eluding to anything other than what I just told you a post or two ago. If you bike more...........you're less likely to have an unpleasant IM marathon............everything else remaining constant. Do you disagree with that statement?

I'm reading your respective posts and from where I sit you guys are saying the same thing.  Overcook the bike and your run is toast (ask me how I know..   ) .   Overcooking is really just overbiking your abilities, thus if you bike more your abilities should be higher. 

If all else is constant and one is getting the proper amount of swimming and running in, then biking more is not a bad thing.   But your typical AG training for an IM with jobs families etc have limited time to balance S/B/R.   And you can't bike so much that you make your other workouts suffer due to a need to recover. 

From my own personal experience, I am going with a consistency and quality approach this time, over a quantity approach (much as it freaks me out).   We'll see if it works.

IMO

Edited by ChrisM 2016-10-07 2:42 PM

2016-10-07 2:35 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

It's the best runners who always end up having the best runs, not the best cyclists.......there is THAT.  

#rinny

2016-10-07 2:49 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Once again, I'm positive you misinterpreted what I wrote (and what people were telling me). I'm not eluding to anything other than what I just told you a post or two ago. If you bike more...........you're less likely to have an unpleasant IM marathon............everything else remaining constant. Do you disagree with that statement?

For an experienced long course athlete who understands how to train and pace properly?  Yes, I completely disagree with that statement.  All that's going to happen when an experienced athlete achieves a higher level of bike fitness is they're going to bike at a higher % of FTP, LTHR, or RPE, and still be able to run well.  If they trained less, they're going to decrease the bike intensity to still set up a good run.  Unless they haven't trained the run adequately.  In that case, they're screwed regardless.

For an inexperienced long course athlete who opts to chase a time or pace instead of implementing a valid pacing strategy?  Sure, it it improves their odds of not screwing up so badly that their marathon turns into the ironman death march.  That doesn't mean it's a smart way to view training, because they're not running better because they biked more.  They're running better because the greater bike fitness provided more margin of error in selecting bike intensity, so they kept the ride within their abilities.

All other things being equal, biking more does not equate to less run suffering.  Adequate training in the swim, bike, and run, and learning how to execute the race well are what it takes for a good race.  It's not as simple as saying "bike more, and the run won't be unpleasant."

Everyone wants simple answers regarding one variable to complex questions that contain many variables.

Here's the simplest advice I can provide the athlete approaching their first IM whose goal is a solid time and enjoyable experience:

1. Train as many hours per week as your body can recover from, and your schedule allows.
  2. Focus more on total weekly volume through greater session frequency than on the distance of the long bike or run.  The long bike and run are probably the most overrated aspects of IM training.
  3. Do the long bike sessions at slightly higher than planned race intensity to practice fueling strategies.  Race day should be the easiest long ride you've done all year.
  4. Prepare well for all 3 disciplines, and don't neglect the swim just because it's the shortest time leg of the race.  Over cooking the swim can come back to bite you in the butt during the run.
  5. If you're not working with a coach to guide you, take the time to learn how to properly pace your race.  The single biggest mistake that first time IM triathletes make is racing too hard, and blowing up on the run.  Good pacing for the average AGer requires a lot of patience on race day.  If at any time you question whether you may be going too hard on the bike, you almost certainly are.

Edited by TriMyBest 2016-10-07 2:50 PM
2016-10-07 2:54 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by ChrisM

------

I'm reading your respective posts and from where I sit you guys are saying the same thing.  Overcook the bike and your run is toast (ask me how I know..   ) .   Overcooking is really just overbiking your abilities, thus if you bike more your abilities should be higher. 

If all else is constant and one is getting the proper amount of swimming and running in, then biking more is not a bad thing.   But your typical AG training for an IM with jobs families etc have limited time to balance S/B/R.   And you can't bike so much that you make your other workouts suffer due to a need to recover. 

From my own personal experience, I am going with a consistency and quality approach this time, over a quantity approach (much as it freaks me out).   We'll see if it works.

IMO

I suspect you'll be happy with the results on race day, Chris.  You're experienced, and work with a great coach.

2016-10-07 3:45 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

For an experienced long course athlete who understands how to train and pace properly?  Yes, I completely disagree with that statement.  All that's going to happen when an experienced athlete achieves a higher level of bike fitness is they're going to bike at a higher % of FTP, LTHR, or RPE, and still be able to run well.  If they trained less, they're going to decrease the bike intensity to still set up a good run.  Unless they haven't trained the run adequately.  In that case, they're screwed regardless.

For an inexperienced long course athlete who opts to chase a time or pace instead of implementing a valid pacing strategy?  Sure, it it improves their odds of not screwing up so badly that their marathon turns into the ironman death march.  That doesn't mean it's a smart way to view training, because they're not running better because they biked more.  They're running better because the greater bike fitness provided more margin of error in selecting bike intensity, so they kept the ride within their abilities.

All other things being equal, biking more does not equate to less run suffering.  Adequate training in the swim, bike, and run, and learning how to execute the race well are what it takes for a good race.  It's not as simple as saying "bike more, and the run won't be unpleasant."

Everyone wants simple answers regarding one variable to complex questions that contain many variables.

Here's the simplest advice I can provide the athlete approaching their first IM whose goal is a solid time and enjoyable experience:

1. Train as many hours per week as your body can recover from, and your schedule allows.
  2. Focus more on total weekly volume through greater session frequency than on the distance of the long bike or run.  The long bike and run are probably the most overrated aspects of IM training.
  3. Do the long bike sessions at slightly higher than planned race intensity to practice fueling strategies.  Race day should be the easiest long ride you've done all year.
  4. Prepare well for all 3 disciplines, and don't neglect the swim just because it's the shortest time leg of the race.  Over cooking the swim can come back to bite you in the butt during the run.
  5. If you're not working with a coach to guide you, take the time to learn how to properly pace your race.  The single biggest mistake that first time IM triathletes make is racing too hard, and blowing up on the run.  Good pacing for the average AGer requires a lot of patience on race day.  If at any time you question whether you may be going too hard on the bike, you almost certainly are.

I'm glad you finally differentiated between Experienced and Beginner athletes. What you were arguing for was a little confusing without that context. You've contributed a lot of great info to this thread, but I don't think it applies that well to the OP. I think it was better off just leaving it at "Focus on the bike" But essentially you two are arguing things in different contexts
2016-10-07 4:19 PM
in reply to: #5200842

Sarasota, Florida
One thing i do wonder is the group that does the high volume lower effort running to see their heart rates drop over time is only achieved through running. My run volume hasn't been so high but i notice my hr doesn't avg as high while running and i wonder if those longer hours on the bike conditioned my heart to be more efficient. Not convinced biking will make my run time improve but wonder if this is a benefit that had carried over. But then again there are so many variables with heat and wind.

2016-10-07 6:22 PM

User image

My unqualified 2 cents...

For shorter races...where an athlete is most likely to run the entire run course...run fitness is very important.

For longer races like IM, paired with an AG athlete who is very unlikely to run the entire 26.2 miles, run fitness is not as important as bike fitness.  Yes, you still need to do a good share of run training to be prepared, but I don't think 40-50 mpw is a good use of an AGer's time considering that they also need time to recover and do other things in life besides train and sleep.  If an AG athlete does have time to run 40-50 mpw, while building up their bike fitness, and recovering properly...that's great.  Just usually not reality.

We could look at examples from the best IM runners in the world, but it's not an apples to apples comparison to an AGer.  As others already mentioned, run fitness is usually not the limiter for most AGers who simply don't have the overall fitness level to run the whole IM marathon even close to their open marathon pace.  For those cases (someone like me when I was doing tris), a good use of time is to focus slightly more on the bike as compared to shorter distance tris.  With the theory being that the fresher you start the run, then less walking you have to do.  Even if you have less than ideal run fitness, if you start the IM marathon "fresh", you can shuffle your way to a decent IM run split.  But even if you have really good run fitness, if you come off the bike tired (even if you paced the bike decently) simply because your bike fitness was lacking...you probably end up walking a lot more.  And walking the IM marathon is when you bleed HUGE amounts of time.  Don't ask me how I know.

But that's just my 2 cents.  "Not a coach" and "The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it"

2016-10-07 8:04 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by Jason N

My unqualified 2 cents...

For shorter races...where an athlete is most likely to run the entire run course...run fitness is very important.

For longer races like IM, paired with an AG athlete who is very unlikely to run the entire 26.2 miles, run fitness is not as important as bike fitness.  Yes, you still need to do a good share of run training to be prepared, but I don't think 40-50 mpw is a good use of an AGer's time considering that they also need time to recover and do other things in life besides train and sleep.  If an AG athlete does have time to run 40-50 mpw, while building up their bike fitness, and recovering properly...that's great.  Just usually not reality.

We could look at examples from the best IM runners in the world, but it's not an apples to apples comparison to an AGer.  As others already mentioned, run fitness is usually not the limiter for most AGers who simply don't have the overall fitness level to run the whole IM marathon even close to their open marathon pace.  For those cases (someone like me when I was doing tris), a good use of time is to focus slightly more on the bike as compared to shorter distance tris.  With the theory being that the fresher you start the run, then less walking you have to do.  Even if you have less than ideal run fitness, if you start the IM marathon "fresh", you can shuffle your way to a decent IM run split.  But even if you have really good run fitness, if you come off the bike tired (even if you paced the bike decently) simply because your bike fitness was lacking...you probably end up walking a lot more.  And walking the IM marathon is when you bleed HUGE amounts of time.  Don't ask me how I know.

But that's just my 2 cents.  "Not a coach" and "The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it"

Yes.

I'm not even sure how anyone can dispute this. Two scenarios.......in which one has the participant in better bike shape......and that's not a "plus"?

That's arguing.....for the sake or arguing.
2016-10-07 9:09 PM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by runtim23

One thing i do wonder is the group that does the high volume lower effort running to see their heart rates drop over time is only achieved through running. My run volume hasn't been so high but i notice my hr doesn't avg as high while running and i wonder if those longer hours on the bike conditioned my heart to be more efficient. Not convinced biking will make my run time improve but wonder if this is a benefit that had carried over. But then again there are so many variables with heat and wind.

It's worthwhile to do an aerobic efficiency test once in awhile...figure out an aerobic HR (could be top of zone 2, could be 70% of HRR, could be LTHR for running -20 beats, could be lots of things as long as it's well under LT and consistent...Then do repeated trials of 1.5 miles at that HR after warming up for 10-15 minutes and ramping up slowly to that HR. Basically having a consistent Warmup.

If you're doing nothing but LSD and volume and having the experience you describe...HR is lower and youre not sure if you're developing fitness, the aerobic efficieny test will show you that at a given consistent HR over time you're pace is getting faster.
2016-10-07 10:12 PM
in reply to: #5201174

New user
GREAT thread! Thanks to all of you who have contributed. Lurking and leurning. Thanks again.
2016-10-09 9:14 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by Nick BI would say that you do need to slow down to get your milage up but you still need to do your weekly speed work.

I completely disagree with the bolded part.  He's 52 and doing HIM and IM.  Running fast isn't really something that he needs in his toolbox at the moment.  Consistency, durability, recovery, and volume should be his primary concerns and adding speed work diminishes each and every one of those.

He's not in his 20's or 30's and trying to kill the local short course circuit.

What do you consider speed work here, as that can vary. Mostly seeing how this would work in with the polarized approach brought up earlier as that does have regular harder workouts.

Ben,

Yes, it can vary so let me elaborate.  I would consider speed work in the vein of doing track workouts.  Balls out 200, 300. 400 repeats and stuff like that.  There's no need for that in a 52 year old focusing on IM or HIM.  I don't mean it in terms of faster longer running like running 90 seconds faster than race pace for longer intervals.

2016-10-09 9:35 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

Originally posted by Nick BI would say that you do need to slow down to get your milage up but you still need to do your weekly speed work.

I completely disagree with the bolded part.  He's 52 and doing HIM and IM.  Running fast isn't really something that he needs in his toolbox at the moment.  Consistency, durability, recovery, and volume should be his primary concerns and adding speed work diminishes each and every one of those.

What do you consider speed work here, as that can vary. Mostly seeing how this would work in with the polarized approach brought up earlier as that does have regular harder workouts.

Ben,

Yes, it can vary so let me elaborate.  I would consider speed work in the vein of doing track workouts.  Balls out 200, 300. 400 repeats and stuff like that.  There's no need for that in a 52 year old focusing on IM or HIM.  I don't mean it in terms of faster longer running like running 90 seconds faster than race pace for longer intervals.

I agree with this. Here is where it gets tricky for *some* people...the read 400, 800, 1200m repeats...and go toa track adn run those distances as fast as they can and risk injury. Most endurance athletes (52 yo focusing on IM or HIM) risk way too much to do traditional track work the same way we did then on track team in high school and college.

But using a track to run measured, controlled paces anywhere from faster than 5k pace to 10k pace, to HIM pace, etc...is a fantastic way to add variety and speed safely.

Many people see black and white when they hear "speed work". But interval work IMO is necessary and builds a better athlete when it comes to the run.
2016-10-09 9:42 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

I did one of my IM's on literally zero run training in the 5 months prior to the race due to injury.  I "ran" a 4:40 for that IM marathon, which certainly wasn't setting the world on fire, but I still outran 2/3rds of the field and I can almost guarantee I had the least amount of run training of the 3000 people out there.  I was just sure that I was in really good swim and bike shape, and executed my pacing and nutrition really well on the bike.

I did a Sprint Triathlon on literally zero bike and zero swim training in 2008.  I was NOT a triathlete.  I didn't have a bike.  I didn't have access to a pool.  I was a runner through so I did my favorite 12 week 1/2 marathon training plan consisting of 35-45 miles per week to be sure that I was in really good run shape and then bought a swim suit and googles the night before the race and borrow a race bike for the event and road it with platform pedals.  I didn't do the race to be the fastest Triathlete I could be.  I did it to support friends who were doing the race and prepared to be a runner doing a triathlon as a fun cross training day.  My swim pace was 2:17 min/100yd which put me at the back of the pack for a 500 yd pool swim.  My bike pace was around 21 MPH which put me at the front of the pack.  I was the 2nd fastest run time of the entire event (ya... there were only 235 people, but that is still 233 people that I beat on the run and they ALL had better swim and bike fitness than me).  

I realize that there is a huge difference in the training and pacing plans for an Iron distance event and a sprint event, but I learned that if you put in the run training that even if your swim and bike training are sub par that your run fitness will carry you through the run.  I had only run off a bike once in my life before that race (and it was in 2002) so I was in no way prepared for that jello feeling in my legs nor that lactate burn from over doing it on the bike.  My run felt really slow to me and I was sure that I would be middle of the pack competing with seasoned Triathletes that knew how to pace the bike leg and who were used to running off the bike.  My run time was 12% over the open run time I had been doing but when I say how slow Triathletes are at running and what my run ranking was I was really happy with the way things ended.  You always hear people talk about "Swim Fitness", "Bike Fitness", "Run Fitness" but the truth is that you can't separate the three.  You can increase your "fitness" through swimming, cycling, running, core work, weight training, cross fit, etc.  All of it goes into your over all "fitness". Balancing the the type of training you do will help you be more efficient but your "fitness" is either going to be adequate or inadequate.  If you are running 75 miles a week it is probably going to be adequate even if you have zero miles on the bike.  If you are doing 300 mile a week on the bike it is probably going to be adequate even if you have zero miles running, etc. 

Curtis,

I've read your theories before and the issue is that they apply more to short course where, I kind of hate to say this but... people can easily fake their way through races.  Tons of people can look like superstars for a sprint race that lasts for a little more than an hour.  Pacing, nutrition, hydration, and all that play such a minor role as compared to long course.  Your own race results tell that story.  Not trying to be rude with that comment but it is what it is.  You got some running talent, probably FOP running talent, but it hasn't translated to good 70.3 times.  You got skills and the right coaching and training would make you a stud.  Just my opinion.

And there's nothing wrong with that.  I know plenty of people that kick my butt when it comes to sprint and oly races but I beat them by 45 minutes to an hour in a 70.3 or two+ hours in an IM.

If one were to run 75 miles a week and do zero bike training, one would not finish the 112 mile bike ride.  I can almost guarantee that.  Running has the least amount of crossover benefit of the three disciplines.  You can get through the 26.2 miles on zero to little run training.  It might be real slow and real ugly but it can be done.  I've done it.  You can't get through a 2.4 mile swim on zero swim training or 112 miles on zero bike training.

2016-10-09 9:52 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Ben,

I agree with this. Here is where it gets tricky for *some* people...the read 400, 800, 1200m repeats...and go toa track adn run those distances as fast as they can and risk injury. Most endurance athletes (52 yo focusing on IM or HIM) risk way too much to do traditional track work the same way we did then on track team in high school and college. But using a track to run measured, controlled paces anywhere from faster than 5k pace to 10k pace, to HIM pace, etc...is a fantastic way to add variety and speed safely. Many people see black and white when they hear "speed work". But interval work IMO is necessary and builds a better athlete when it comes to the run.

I agree that it's often the lost in translation approach to "track" workouts.  You're right.  Most people go into track workouts like they were 15-20 years old and just run as fast as they can.  When our tri club first started there was a decent sized group of people that would go to a local school to do track workouts.  I'm not sure anyone made it out of there injury free and it didn't last long.  It was a lot of newbies being lead by a contingent of people from running backgrounds and not tri backgrounds.  The stereotypical running workout mentality being wedged into tri training always makes me cringe.  It never works but I'll be darned if people don't try to do it anyway.

2016-10-09 12:54 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Ben,

I agree with this. Here is where it gets tricky for *some* people...the read 400, 800, 1200m repeats...and go toa track adn run those distances as fast as they can and risk injury. Most endurance athletes (52 yo focusing on IM or HIM) risk way too much to do traditional track work the same way we did then on track team in high school and college. But using a track to run measured, controlled paces anywhere from faster than 5k pace to 10k pace, to HIM pace, etc...is a fantastic way to add variety and speed safely. Many people see black and white when they hear "speed work". But interval work IMO is necessary and builds a better athlete when it comes to the run.

I agree that it's often the lost in translation approach to "track" workouts.  You're right.  Most people go into track workouts like they were 15-20 years old and just run as fast as they can.  When our tri club first started there was a decent sized group of people that would go to a local school to do track workouts.  I'm not sure anyone made it out of there injury free and it didn't last long.  It was a lot of newbies being lead by a contingent of people from running backgrounds and not tri backgrounds.  The stereotypical running workout mentality being wedged into tri training always makes me cringe.  It never works but I'll be darned if people don't try to do it anyway.

This is why I prefer the terms "pace work" or "pace intervals" instead of "speed work". People hear "speed" and think it means hammering out intervals as hard as possible. The word "pace" conveys the message better that the intervals are at specific intensity levels.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Slowing down training runs.....Point of diminishing returns? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Getting Down, Getting Down, Trying to ride the weight loss train to Kona

Started by vagus
Views: 1308 Posts: 1

2012-04-30 10:44 AM vagus

Diminishing returns while fatigued in the pool Pages: 1 2 3

Started by BernardDogs
Views: 4231 Posts: 73

2012-01-14 8:43 AM alath

running: higher heart rate when slowing down?

Started by feh
Views: 745 Posts: 6

2011-02-21 3:13 PM JeffY

How much is too much? (diminishing returns)

Started by cevans
Views: 1277 Posts: 20

2006-05-09 3:45 PM cevans

The point of no return!!!

Started by phoenixazul
Views: 602 Posts: 3

2006-01-11 7:49 AM O2BFast
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2006
author : sportfactory
comments : 0
Is there a point of diminishing returns? At some point, age catches up with us all. In general, as we age, VO2 max decreases, body fat increases, and muscular strength drops off.