BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-01-24 4:35 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

New user
Madrid
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
Originally posted by ligersandtions

I'm getting a new bike (Argon18 E-119) and it was delivered to the bike shop today!   

Nicole, I got my new Argon 18 for Christmas and have to say I can´t be happier: my old bike was also carbon frame and had Shimano 105, but this is not only prettier and lighter (Ultegra and I guess better carbon), but is my size -old one was one size small so unstable going down fast and long rides uncomfortable-, much more comfortable -for a bike!- and reliable. Plus, I needed to spoil myself a bit to train for the IM.

Trainers: I bought a few months ago a Bkool (http://www.bkool.com/en-ES) - very popular brand in Spain, but I am still getting used to it, and prefer much better to go out. Only rains keeps me at home, and I have the feeling I need to work too hard to maintain a good effort level.

Last week was terrible in terms of compliance with my plan, on top of some traveling, family meeting and lots (lots) of red wine from Toro (small region next to Ribera del Duero making now great reds). But today back on my plan, 2500m swim (2.06/100m) and 1h run (10k). No travels this week and next, so should follow the plan 100%.

Juan

(Argon 18 ok.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Argon 18 ok.jpg (47KB - 4 downloads)

2017-01-24 5:10 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

I have this one:

https://sportfactoryproshop.com/tacx-galaxia-rollers/

Pretty much the same except the one above rocks back and forth.

I also run a cycleops fluid trainer in the winter.

Either way there is a learning curve. You also need to focus on riding waaay more. You should also start out in a door way so you can support yourself on either side. Both will give you a great workout. I find I engage my core a lot more on the rollers but it could just me trying to suck my gut in... :-)

Good luck!

Originally posted by nicole14e Thanks Andrew and John! I will check that out for sure! And will look into getting a trainer wheel. Has anyone tried these... https://sportfactoryproshop.com/tacx-anatares-rollers/?utm_medium=go... I am pretty sure I would fall...but I found this one for about $150, which seemed pretty reasonable, and I feel like someone from the group last year or the year before had tried these out.

2017-01-24 9:21 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

DeLand, Florida

Alan (our resident pro cyclist) is the master of the rollers.  Not sure if he's joined the new thread for 2017 though.

Juan I mentioned this last year and I'll mention it again - I LOVE YOUR BIKE!  Also good to see I'm not the only one doing the 'aero road' thing:

(can anyone tell me how to add pictures in the message?  I swear I did it all the time in the old thread but the one pic I did the same way it's actually an attachment that you have to click on to open, unlike Juan's bike pic...)

2017-01-25 7:43 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by thor67

I have this one:

https://sportfactoryproshop.com/tacx-galaxia-rollers/

Pretty much the same except the one above rocks back and forth.

I also run a cycleops fluid trainer in the winter.

Either way there is a learning curve. You also need to focus on riding waaay more. You should also start out in a door way so you can support yourself on either side. Both will give you a great workout. I find I engage my core a lot more on the rollers but it could just me trying to suck my gut in... :-)

Good luck!

Originally posted by nicole14e Thanks Andrew and John! I will check that out for sure! And will look into getting a trainer wheel. Has anyone tried these... https://sportfactoryproshop.com/tacx-anatares-rollers/?utm_medium=go... I am pretty sure I would fall...but I found this one for about $150, which seemed pretty reasonable, and I feel like someone from the group last year or the year before had tried these out.

I'd have to make sure my life insurance policy was up to date before I tried rollers!! They look like certain death to uncoordinated me!
2017-01-25 7:46 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I had one of those swims today that make me wonder if I even know how to swim--it was horrible. I felt like the water was wet cement. I called it quits after 1600m, which I almost never do. Coupled with yesterday's mediocre run and I'm feeling a little down about workouts lately.

Run scheduled for tonight. Hopefully it will go better.
2017-01-25 8:02 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove I had one of those swims today that make me wonder if I even know how to swim--it was horrible. I felt like the water was wet cement. I called it quits after 1600m, which I almost never do. Coupled with yesterday's mediocre run and I'm feeling a little down about workouts lately. Run scheduled for tonight. Hopefully it will go better.

Happens to the best of us, and it never ceases to get me down either.  You know how this goes though - you have a few bad days, maybe take a much needed rest day or two, and then get back at it renewed and with the fire again and those bad workouts disappear in the rearview.

Bad workouts are much more easily forgotten than bad races.  And bad races we can learn from.  Someday I'll figure out how to learn from bad workouts too...

2017-01-25 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by drfoodlove I had one of those swims today that make me wonder if I even know how to swim--it was horrible. I felt like the water was wet cement. I called it quits after 1600m, which I almost never do. Coupled with yesterday's mediocre run and I'm feeling a little down about workouts lately. Run scheduled for tonight. Hopefully it will go better.

How are other things in your life?  Any abnormal stress?  Are you eating enough?  Ramped up training volume or intensity recently?  A couple bad workouts isn't overly alarming, but watch out for patterns.  If they stay bad, an extra rest day may be in order.  Hopefully they were just off days and things will be back to normal soon enough (like for your run tonight!). 

2017-01-25 4:20 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by firebert

I LOVE YOUR BIKE!  Also good to see I'm not the only one doing the 'aero road' thing:

(can anyone tell me how to add pictures in the message?  I swear I did it all the time in the old thread but the one pic I did the same way it's actually an attachment that you have to click on to open, unlike Juan's bike pic...)

Thanks John! I am like a kid with a new bike
To attach a pic, just click at bottom end "Attach a file after posting" and you will be directed to "add file".... it only accepts very low resolution pictures, but better than nothing. Otherwise, bike would look way much better!

Juan
2017-01-25 4:23 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I had one of those swims today that make me wonder if I even know how to swim--it was horrible. I felt like the water was wet cement. I called it quits after 1600m, which I almost never do. Coupled with yesterday's mediocre run and I'm feeling a little down about workouts lately.

As Nicole/John mentioned, we all have bad days (sometimes is all about motivation, at least for me while running, this is why I try to do my long runs in a park nearby busy with runners), but a day off will most of the times fix it.

50 min ride on the Bkool trainer - getting better at it (whether I like it or not, it is a great option to do my session when arrive really late at home and is too dark outside)

Juan
2017-01-25 4:36 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by Juancho

I LOVE YOUR BIKE!  Also good to see I'm not the only one doing the 'aero road' thing:

Thanks John! I am like a kid with a new bike To attach a pic, just click at bottom end "Attach a file after posting" and you will be directed to "add file".... it only accepts very low resolution pictures, but better than nothing. Otherwise, bike would look way much better! Juan

Thanks Juan - that was the issue, the resolution (and file size!).  I found the FAQ on pic uploading and it's like 400x400 pixels and 100KB file size.  My cell phone takes 4000x4000 and 3MB.  Or something absurd like that...  I'll have to figure out how to reduce the resolution and file size.

2017-01-25 5:12 PM
in reply to: #5211217

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Total rage run (to borrow Nicole's phrase) this afternoon after a very stressful day at work. PR for both the mile and 5k. Felt good too, but that could have been the rage!

2017-01-25 6:52 PM
in reply to: #5211427

Hello everybody...

Construction billing day which means a real late night last night and an early morning in the office. But... 2:30pm all done, why not do a brick workout. I was supposed to do a double anyways today, and being my week 4, the mileage has dropped.

So 1500m swim, 25k bike and I felt great.

Only issue is i don't seem to have much stomach fortitude on longer mileage days and the brick caused, well I don't need to describe.

Is this normal? Does it go away? Don't take me wrong. I love the sliming effect. But I seem to be doing well on my own counting calories and such. Just wondering...

Thanks and great job everyone.

Pat
2017-01-26 4:31 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Happens to the best of us, and it never ceases to get me down either.  You know how this goes though - you have a few bad days, maybe take a much needed rest day or two, and then get back at it renewed and with the fire again and those bad workouts disappear in the rearview.

Bad workouts are much more easily forgotten than bad races.  And bad races we can learn from.  Someday I'll figure out how to learn from bad workouts too...

Yeah, there are days where the workouts just don't, uh, work out.  

That especially seems to be true in the pool. There are days where it feels relatively effortless (grading on a curve here!) and then some days where I fee llike I'm thrashing in the water to no avail.

It's not limited to us mere mortals, either.  My daughter told me Monday night after practice that she just didn't "have it:" and didn't have any "snap" to the workout.

2017-01-26 4:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Quick surgery update.  

Got to the hospital surgical center around 10:20 and went through registration and all of the thousand questions that they ask you that have been asked a thousand times before, and I think they asked me my name about 30 times. :-)

Talked with my surgeon, the PA, and the sleepy doctor.  All went fine.  I didn't even pass out when they put the IV in.  :-)

They pushed me back into the ER around 12:15 (15 minutes early!) and I was in recovery a little after 1 PM.  Woke up wondering where the hell I was and my throat hurt pretty good from the breathing tube.  They gave me pain meds and a muscle relaxant and I was out of the door in the car by a little after 2.  They run a tight shop there - everyone was really great.  Surgery did what they were supposed to do.

Got home and laid on the couch half asleep and half awake the rest of the day.  Had some pizza for dinner and went to bed more or less normal time.  Slept kind of meh - trying to avoid percocet and just took tramodol so I was up a little bit during the night, but not bad and nothing like the nerve pain from the back injury.

Pretty sore this morning...hurts to move but it's all from the surgery from what I can tell.  A little tough to get up and get in an out of bed because I can't twist like I normally do.  

I have my first follow up in four weeks with my surgeon.  Until then I can walk as much as I want and do normal activites that don't cause pain.  

All in all, I can't complain so far.  We'll see how it progreeses.  Today is supposed to be the worst.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2017-01-26 6:28 AM
2017-01-26 6:27 AM
in reply to: #5211439

User image

I have a cyclops fluid trainer, it's second hand and probably 9 years old but it works great. I store it in a corner with a towel for the floor and the wheel block. It fits mostly under my end table and is out of the way but takes less than 2 min to set up. It does weigh about 20-30 pounds but that doesn't really bother me. I would like to get the kicker but it seems like a hassle taking the bike on and off.
2017-01-26 6:31 AM
in reply to: #5211471

User image

Sorry forgot to give an update. I'm down 17 lbs on the keto diet. I miss beer but can have bourbon and bought bud select 55 but haven't had any yet as I think I'm not going to like it. Did my long run for the week which was not good, but I know why and am ok with it. I am back to biking and swimming and the body is adapting. Going to plan out the years worth of workouts when I catch up at work. But I'm on track for my 1000 miles this year.

2017-01-26 7:23 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Quick surgery update.  

Got to the hospital surgical center around 10:20 and went through registration and all of the thousand questions that they ask you that have been asked a thousand times before, and I think they asked me my name about 30 times. :-)

Talked with my surgeon, the PA, and the sleepy doctor.  All went fine.  I didn't even pass out when they put the IV in.  :-)

They pushed me back into the ER around 12:15 (15 minutes early!) and I was in recovery a little after 1 PM.  Woke up wondering where the hell I was and my throat hurt pretty good from the breathing tube.  They gave me pain meds and a muscle relaxant and I was out of the door in the car by a little after 2.  They run a tight shop there - everyone was really great.  Surgery did what they were supposed to do.

Got home and laid on the couch half asleep and half awake the rest of the day.  Had some pizza for dinner and went to bed more or less normal time.  Slept kind of meh - trying to avoid percocet and just took tramodol so I was up a little bit during the night, but not bad and nothing like the nerve pain from the back injury.

Pretty sore this morning...hurts to move but it's all from the surgery from what I can tell.  A little tough to get up and get in an out of bed because I can't twist like I normally do.  

I have my first follow up in four weeks with my surgeon.  Until then I can walk as much as I want and do normal activites that don't cause pain.  

All in all, I can't complain so far.  We'll see how it progreeses.  Today is supposed to be the worst.

Good to hear you are doing well!!
2017-01-26 7:25 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by b2b14

Sorry forgot to give an update. I'm down 17 lbs on the keto diet. I miss beer but can have bourbon and bought bud select 55 but haven't had any yet as I think I'm not going to like it. Did my long run for the week which was not good, but I know why and am ok with it. I am back to biking and swimming and the body is adapting. Going to plan out the years worth of workouts when I catch up at work. But I'm on track for my 1000 miles this year.

You are going to plan out a year's worth of workouts?!?!?! That is amazing! I'm lucky to be able to get a week down without having to change something by Wednesday!
2017-01-26 7:26 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Strength training session this morning. That is the only thing on the schedule for today, but I might hop on my bike and give a little spin when I get home tonight. I just have to see how I feel. Long run tomorrow, so I don't want my legs to be toast.
2017-01-26 9:03 AM

User image

Expert

Strength training session this morning. That is the only thing on the schedule for today, but I might hop on my bike and give a little spin when I get home tonight. I just have to see how I feel. Long run tomorrow, so I don't want my legs to be toast.

You are a machine! Always looking for a way to get stronger!

What do you do for your strength training?
2017-01-26 9:08 AM

User image

Expert

You are going to plan out a year's worth of workouts?!?!?! That is amazing! I'm lucky to be able to get a week down without having to change something by Wednesday!

You go Sergeant! I am with Gretchen - I usually plan out for a couple of weeks but if doing if for the year helps then by all means do it! Be the man and show me how it's done

2017-01-26 9:26 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Total rage run (to borrow Nicole's phrase) this afternoon after a very stressful day at work. PR for both the mile and 5k. Felt good too, but that could have been the rage!

Isn't it awesome! That adrenaline really pushes you through, and you probably felt so much better after!
2017-01-26 9:31 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Congrats on the weight loss, and thanks for the trainer info! Keep up the great work!
2017-01-26 9:37 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Mike, I'm so happy to hear everything went smooth with the surgery! Can't wait for regular updates on your progress. Sending you healing vibes
2017-01-26 9:38 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
UPDATE:

I have failed to make all my workout this week - instead sleeping through my alarm and not getting it done. Mad with myself but I'm so busy working two jobs and looking for work at the same time. I know it's not an excuse - just a reason. If I keep missing workouts, I will give myself a Coors Light Penalty.

I'm thrilled to see everyone doing well and just want you guys to know what a huge inspiration to me you all are to me. Someday in the near future - I'll be able to rejoin you on your long runs (right now - it's like asking the Stay Puffed Marshmallow man to go out and knock out 5 miles. Seriously - I'm slowly turning into a weight loss show where I'm getting tempted by the world around me (damn you Thin Mints!).

Onward people! Prost!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 39152 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.