BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2017-01-26 9:39 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN
My Lasik appt got rescheduled so I haven't been cleared to swim yet. Hoping they clear me Friday so I can go to Masters on Saturday morning.

Went to boot camp last night, which kicked my butt. Feeling stronger every day! Also have been eating pretty well this week.

2017-01-26 9:49 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Quick surgery update.  

Got to the hospital surgical center around 10:20 and went through registration and all of the thousand questions that they ask you that have been asked a thousand times before, and I think they asked me my name about 30 times. :-)

Talked with my surgeon, the PA, and the sleepy doctor.  All went fine.  I didn't even pass out when they put the IV in.  :-)

They pushed me back into the ER around 12:15 (15 minutes early!) and I was in recovery a little after 1 PM.  Woke up wondering where the hell I was and my throat hurt pretty good from the breathing tube.  They gave me pain meds and a muscle relaxant and I was out of the door in the car by a little after 2.  They run a tight shop there - everyone was really great.  Surgery did what they were supposed to do.

Got home and laid on the couch half asleep and half awake the rest of the day.  Had some pizza for dinner and went to bed more or less normal time.  Slept kind of meh - trying to avoid percocet and just took tramodol so I was up a little bit during the night, but not bad and nothing like the nerve pain from the back injury.

Pretty sore this morning...hurts to move but it's all from the surgery from what I can tell.  A little tough to get up and get in an out of bed because I can't twist like I normally do.  

I have my first follow up in four weeks with my surgeon.  Until then I can walk as much as I want and do normal activites that don't cause pain.  

All in all, I can't complain so far.  We'll see how it progreeses.  Today is supposed to be the worst.

Mike - my prayers are with you man as you make a speedy recovery. I'd be more than happy to be the guy in the group with the bad back (alright -'Id rather we both be pain free).
2017-01-26 9:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nicole14e

My Lasik appt got rescheduled so I haven't been cleared to swim yet. Hoping they clear me Friday so I can go to Masters on Saturday morning.

Went to boot camp last night, which kicked my butt. Feeling stronger every day! Also have been eating pretty well this week.

Nice work Nicole! Do you think the Boot Camp might help me with my back pain? I need some core work in a big way.

Edited by Qua17 2017-01-26 9:50 AM
2017-01-26 9:55 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Off the top of my head I can remember these:

1.) Lateral Pull Down
2.) Incline Pull
3.) Row
4.) shoulder Press
5.) Chest Press
6.) lateral raise
7.) Curls
8.) Triceps (can't remember what it is called)
9.) Abs
10.) Crunches
11.) Overhead dumbell raises
12.) Leg Press
13.) Calf Raises
14.) Squats
15.) Leg Extensions
16.) Leg Curls
Actually...that might be all as I think about it.

I do two sets of 15. In total, depending on how many people are messing about in the weight room, takes 50ish minutes to complete whole circuit. I do two arm activities, then a non-arm (leg or ab) activity.

I really like strength training and enjoy the feel of muscles, but it is always the first thing to go when the season starts getting busy.
2017-01-26 10:19 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove Total rage run (to borrow Nicole's phrase) this afternoon after a very stressful day at work. PR for both the mile and 5k. Felt good too, but that could have been the rage!

Well done!  

Been lots of those around here lately.  Not good for the rage part but a great reminder of how good workouts are for us as a positive outcome and release of negative energy.

2017-01-26 10:23 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Quick surgery update.  

Got to the hospital surgical center around 10:20 and went through registration and all of the thousand questions that they ask you that have been asked a thousand times before, and I think they asked me my name about 30 times. :-)

Talked with my surgeon, the PA, and the sleepy doctor.  All went fine.  I didn't even pass out when they put the IV in.  :-)

They pushed me back into the ER around 12:15 (15 minutes early!) and I was in recovery a little after 1 PM.  Woke up wondering where the hell I was and my throat hurt pretty good from the breathing tube.  They gave me pain meds and a muscle relaxant and I was out of the door in the car by a little after 2.  They run a tight shop there - everyone was really great.  Surgery did what they were supposed to do.

Got home and laid on the couch half asleep and half awake the rest of the day.  Had some pizza for dinner and went to bed more or less normal time.  Slept kind of meh - trying to avoid percocet and just took tramodol so I was up a little bit during the night, but not bad and nothing like the nerve pain from the back injury.

Pretty sore this morning...hurts to move but it's all from the surgery from what I can tell.  A little tough to get up and get in an out of bed because I can't twist like I normally do.  

I have my first follow up in four weeks with my surgeon.  Until then I can walk as much as I want and do normal activites that don't cause pain.  

All in all, I can't complain so far.  We'll see how it progreeses.  Today is supposed to be the worst.

Good to hear you are doing well!!

+1 to that - great to hear all went well in surgery and you're recovering!

2017-01-26 10:26 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Dave!  Good to hear from you, though sorry you're stressing with the jobs and workouts.  You're still in 'getting back into it' phase so don't be too hard on yourself, just do what you can when you can and it'll all come back to you soon enough.  Also thin mints rule.

Now I remember what the other thing was - yes, at least in my experience, Boot Camp is awesome for core work.  Every week I come out with a few days worth of the following things sore - abs, chest, lats, shoulders

Edited by firebert 2017-01-26 10:27 AM
2017-01-26 12:42 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Expert
Originally posted by firebert

Dave!  Good to hear from you, though sorry you're stressing with the jobs and workouts.  You're still in 'getting back into it' phase so don't be too hard on yourself, just do what you can when you can and it'll all come back to you soon enough.  Also thin mints rule.

Now I remember what the other thing was - yes, at least in my experience, Boot Camp is awesome for core work.  Every week I come out with a few days worth of the following things sore - abs, chest, lats, shoulders

Hey John - Can I start sending you meal pictures like I did last year? I'm eating like a big fat horse. I could use the accountability! (Neigh)
2017-01-26 12:53 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by firebert

Quick surgery update.  

Good to hear you are doing well!!

+1 to that - great to hear all went well in surgery and you're recovering!

Another +1 from me.

Good to hear that the surgery went well, now rest up, take your time and make sure you heal well.
2017-01-26 12:59 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
A solid week for me so far.

I've done almost every workout I had penciled in, only missing the swim on my long run day. I decided I valued the sleep more than a quick swim...

So its 2 x 30 minute swims, 1 x 1:20 bike, and 4 runs (1 x 90 min, 1 x 60 min and 2 x 30 min) so far this week.
Today I have a reasonably easy day, a 30 minute swim, followed by a 30 minute run after work,
And for the weekend my long ride (4 hours) on Saturday, followed by a 90 minute ride on Sunday and that's it for the week for me.

And next week I'm off to Australia for work for a few days, I'll be going to a place called Dubbo, which is forecast for over 100 deg F next week. I'll bring my running shoes with me, but I'm not sure how much they will be used. It's a good thing next week is supposed to be a bit of a rest week for me.

Keep up the good work everyone.
2017-01-26 2:00 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Qua17

Nice work Nicole! Do you think the Boot Camp might help me with my back pain? I need some core work in a big way.

Boot Camp is great for the core, but they generally do a lot of other stuff that might not be awesome for your back (jump squats, burpees, tuck jumps etc). If you have a gym membership that has classes specific to your core, I would start with those until your back starts feeling better. You can always try a boot camp and just modify so you're not jumping too much.

I did a quick search and found this article: http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/lower-back-pain-10/slideshow-exercis... I challenge you to pick 5 of those exercises they say you should try, and start doing them for 10 reps a day Tell me which ones you choose, and I will do it with you.

2017-01-26 2:07 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by Qua17  Hey John - Can I start sending you meal pictures like I did last year? I'm eating like a big fat horse. I could use the accountability! (Neigh)

But of course!

2017-01-26 2:11 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Great work Andrew!

And if you do run in Oz in those temps, just make sure to slllloooowwwww dooowwwwnnnnn...  I am notorious for pushing in the heat, trying to figure out why it's so hard to go like 30 sec/mi slower (because I should be going like 1:30/mi slower), and end up all tingly and lightheaded and other signs of heat exhaustion.

2017-01-26 2:16 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17
Originally posted by nicole14e My Lasik appt got rescheduled so I haven't been cleared to swim yet. Hoping they clear me Friday so I can go to Masters on Saturday morning. Went to boot camp last night, which kicked my butt. Feeling stronger every day! Also have been eating pretty well this week.
Boot Camp is great for the core, but they generally do a lot of other stuff that might not be awesome for your back (jump squats, burpees, tuck jumps etc). If you have a gym membership that has classes specific to your core, I would start with those until your back starts feeling better. You can always try a boot camp and just modify so you're not jumping too much. I did a quick search and found this article: http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/lower-back-pain-10/slideshow-exercis... I challenge you to pick 5 of those exercises they say you should try, and start doing them for 10 reps a day Tell me which ones you choose, and I will do it with you.

Dave, take this with a grain of salt because I just had back surgery ...BUT:

I managed to hold my back together by doing tons of planks.  A couple of my favorites...

The Plank Ladder (aka seven minutes of hell):

30" plank, 30" rest (all rests in child's pose)
40" plank, 20" rest
50" plank, 10" rest
1' plank, 10" rest
50" plank, 20" rest
40" plank, 30" rest
30" plank

The Rotating Plank (this is a little easier, except for the end):

45" front plank, 15" rest
45" left plank, 15" rest
45" back bridge, 15" rest
45" right plank, 15" rest
REPEAT, then
front plank to failure (I got to about 3 minutes this summer after building up to it)

Plankapalooza:

45" plank, 15" rest
repeat as time permits
this starts to get pretty hard around 8 minutes

You can always modify these by doing them on your knees, or reducing the time frames until you build up.  You won't see too much of a difference in your abs but you will definitely feel different.  I really noticed it on the bike.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2017-01-26 2:17 PM
2017-01-26 10:55 PM
in reply to: #5207975

User image

, California
Mike - good to hear your surgery went well. Here's to a quick recovery.

Dave - hang in there don't get down on yourself. Just take it slow.

Good week for me this far, just missing a strength workout. Have had two swims with the SMOG squad, an hour bike, 40 minute run and 20 minutes yoga. Time to enjoy a Stone Xocoveza tonight. Maybe the last of this wonderful seasonal for the next nine months.

Anyone with good plans for he weekend?

-Matt
2017-01-27 6:57 AM
in reply to: Tavo2311

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by Tavo2311 . Anyone with good plans for he weekend? -Matt

My daughter's 7th birthday party tomorrow - at the zoo, including a visit from an animal (either a rabbit or ferret).  Sunday is a 13 mile run.  I'm looking forward to both!

2017-01-27 7:40 AM

User image

Dave- hang in there, its hard to stay motivated but results take a while to show which is why many quite just before they would have broken though

I am doing good with running so far, biking meh its ok so far. I have trouble getting long runs in. I have no issues doing 8 but I look at 10 and am like "I really don't feel like doing that" I know its mental but I have to get though it. I think it has to do with water. I will go run a 6-8 mile loop and not have any water on the run. I am about dehydrated when I get home but I drink some and feel fine. Guess I'll have to start carrying water.

As for planning out my workouts its not that I am hard core or anything, but with my schedule and racing every other month if I don't sit down and plan it out I will just flounder around and not make any progress.
2017-01-27 9:21 AM

New user

NAME: Dan

STORY: I did one Sprint Distance in 2007 and have done "Eppies Great Race" twice in the past. Nothing since then. I am looking to do a sprint distance in the summer

FAMILY STATUS: Married - 4 kids

CURRENT TRAINING: Um...just getting started. (I play soccer every Saturday. Does that count?)

2016 RACES: 0 same for the last 9 years

The Plan for 2017: At least one Sprint Tri then we will see how it goes.

BEER/WINE/BOOZE PREFERENCE: Dark Beer. - Porters, Stouts, or Dunkels.

WEIGHT LOSS: Currently north of 235lbs. I would love to lose some lbs.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD BDAS MEMBER: Um well..because I appreciate beer.
2017-01-27 10:19 AM
in reply to: basuraman

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by basuraman

STORY: I did one Sprint Distance in 2007 and have done "Eppies Great Race" twice in the past. Nothing since then. I am looking to do a sprint distance in the summer

CURRENT TRAINING: Um...just getting started. (I play soccer every Saturday. Does that count?)

Welcome Dan!! Always room for another dark beer lover!
2017-01-27 10:41 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Another Friday, another long run around the tiny track. 11 miles at 7 laps per mile. I can't wait for this HM race to be over so I can go back to running like a non-insane person. There was a "fun" wrinkle this morning in that the ROTC was using the track, which has three lanes mind, to run what we called Indian Suicides in high school (and I totally know I probably should call them that now, but I have no idea what anyone calls them). This is a three lane track. There were already about 15 people using the track to run and walk. So many collisions!! I just don't understand why they didn't stay on the 8 lap/mile track they warmed up on!

Recovery meal: bangers and mash at 9:30am. Totally normal, right?
2017-01-27 11:10 AM
in reply to: basuraman

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by basuraman

Welcome! Where are you from?

2017-01-27 11:11 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Another Friday, another long run around the tiny track. 11 miles at 7 laps per mile. I can't wait for this HM race to be over so I can go back to running like a non-insane person. There was a "fun" wrinkle this morning in that the ROTC was using the track, which has three lanes mind, to run what we called Indian Suicides in high school (and I totally know I probably should call them that now, but I have no idea what anyone calls them). This is a three lane track. There were already about 15 people using the track to run and walk. So many collisions!! I just don't understand why they didn't stay on the 8 lap/mile track they warmed up on!

Haha! Sounds like quite the morning! Were you involved in any of these collisions or just watching from a safe distance?
2017-01-27 12:09 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

New user

Northern California - Sacramento Area

Welcome! Where are you from?
2017-01-27 12:16 PM

New user

Subject: Swim Cross Training with out pool access?
I am just getting back into this and will not have access to an affordable pool until it warms up a bit. Do you all have suggestions for shoulder/upper body exercises to do until I get pool access?

I found this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0wbm23_gMQ

anything else would help. Thanks.
2017-01-27 1:01 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Haha! Sounds like quite the morning! Were you involved in any of these collisions or just watching from a safe distance?

Fortunately, I was just a spectator for the collisions. There were about four or five. My favorite was the guy who was "jogging" in the jogging lane, but being consistently lapped by people walking. He refused to move over to the slower walking lane when asked. He got totally plowed by a kid coming around the curve. No one was hurt, but I hope it taught that jogger a lesson about common sense. I wish they'd relabel the lanes Fast-->Slower, but they are Run, Jog, Walk.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society (BDAS)--OPEN Rss Feed  

of 76

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31

Started by k9car363
Views: 39291 Posts: 762

2017-12-31 8:50 PM k9car363

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out

date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.