BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-01-12 2:32 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition

Originally posted by TXTriRook I'll fess up that I'm the one (maybe not the only one?) who didn't know what inspires are. Based on what I've read from your explanations, I'm having a hard time understanding the difference between an "Inspire" and giving someone a thumbs up/commenting on Strava. As far as I know I'm following all the Manatee's and find it very easy to give shout outs on there given my garmin and Zwift auto-upload all my workouts there. Are people using both Strava and BT and giving shout-outs on both? Seems a bit redundant based on my newfound understanding of Inspires.

I guess one big difference (though I'm not one of the super-inspirers of the group) is that you can give an inspire even if a person hasn't posted a workout. So you can encourage whether or not they did something that day.

2017-01-12 2:43 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

I love walk breaks. They keep me interested, injury free and I think I'm probably even a little faster since they help me pace.
I haven't been doing them for this cycle because the only drawback is it is hard to run with friends unless they are on a run/walk plan too.

I am always VERY careful to be the person who looks behind them before they start a walk break though!
2017-01-12 2:49 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

. Does anyone find all the other social interactions, ie. Strava, facebook etc. has diluted the interaction on BT?

Out of interest, who on here is currently actively following a TrainerRoad plan?

Yes, along with the site redesign a couple (few?) years ago and the banning of some key participants.

I've followed a TR plan in the past (and currently have one set up but due to injury I've been ignoring when I open the app ).  One thing that I will say is that the build and specialty plans are HARD.  You had better have your FTP accurate or you could be in for a world of hurt.  I've had better success cherry-picking certain rides on TR that I find challenging and mesh well with my goals, rather than sticking to a stock plan (though I'll certainly steal some rides from them).  Hope that helps!

I guess that depends on what your goals are and/or how detailed you are in making your own plan. The trainer road plans work because they are designed for progressive loading. You may or may not get that if you're just doing different rides here and there. It will make the workouts hard and maybe undo-able if you miss previous workouts though.

For example, in the ones I've done, Tuesdays are VO2 max intervals & Thursdays are over/unders. Both will over the weeks either increase the interval time, increase the number of intervals, increase the interval power or reduce the rest between intervals, or some combination of those. Say the over unders start at 4 min long, but by the end of the build phase they may be 12 min long, but they only increased by 1-2 min each week.

I'd definitely feel more confident about raising my FTP by following a plan to the T than jumping around. But if you're just trying to maintain fitness or you're able to plan your training via TSS or some other metric very well then maybe you don't need to follow a plan.
2017-01-12 5:23 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
2017-01-12 5:49 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Testing

It's working for me now as well.

2017-01-12 5:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by TXTriRook I'll fess up that I'm the one (maybe not the only one?) who didn't know what inspires are. Based on what I've read from your explanations, I'm having a hard time understanding the difference between an "Inspire" and giving someone a thumbs up/commenting on Strava. As far as I know I'm following all the Manatee's and find it very easy to give shout outs on there given my garmin and Zwift auto-upload all my workouts there. Are people using both Strava and BT and giving shout-outs on both? Seems a bit redundant based on my newfound understanding of Inspires.

Not all Manatees are on Strava.

I generally give a thumbs up on Strava and put comments on BT.

Also, BT gives me more information about people.  Many of us use BT as a training Blog as opposed to a training log. In addition, I can see upcoming races/events here on BT but not on Strava.

Edited by jmkizer 2017-01-12 5:51 PM

2017-01-12 6:38 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Working for me now, but I am at work and I believe using a VPN. Will check again at home tonight. Thought I had been banned or something!
2017-01-12 6:54 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Tried out my Altra I had for Christmas yesterday. Thought I'd take it easy and break them in with a slow 5 km. Oh boy, feels like the muscle either side of my achieves on my left foot is one big knot. How did any of you Altra (zero drop type shoe) users adapt to yours?

Slowed down some. Ran shorter, 5k isn't really that short in this context. Broke the run up a little, like some of the other discussion is going. The adaptation time can be quick or take awhile. There may be some stride adaptations to figure out. For some there will be more, others less. Think it helped be having already been in 4mm shoes for some time.

ETA: Which ones did you get?

I've bought the Lone Peak ones. Am going from Nike Pegasus, which I believe are 4mm. Have worn the shoes around the house a little, probably not enough :/ 5km was probably too much but I find any less a waste of time getting changed. May try some walk/run combo. I can't really run much slower so maybe that would be best.
I just searched for pagasus heel/toe drop. 13.8mm No wonder I felt it Edit:I think my 4mm ones were my Hokas, but I don't wear them much. I bought the Altra more for the extra roe box room. I suffer with my pinky getting blistered so thought these may help. Perhaps I'll dig the Hokas out to use.

That makes a lot more sense. Not sure I would have believed anything less than 9-10 for Pegasus. I'm not sure what else may have the same toe box idea. Some shoes can go wide, but still tend to point the toe. Don't know I could give that up after getting used to it!

I don't know if the Lone Peak adds anything more than the other shoes to the calf adjustments. I was well used to that before getting a pair. They do seem a bit tougher on my feet than other Altras do. I think it's from the built in rock plate. The lighter weight Superior has a removable plate that I leave out and it seems to cushion better for me. At least out on the roads or pathways. The Lone Peak may do better when the surface gets more rough and tough, like single track can. I have used it as a hiking shoe and it's fantastic for that. Much tougher than running shoes, but much more forgiving & nimble than hiking shoes or boots.

As for the "waste of time", keep in mind how much trouble you had in this run. The fitness for this isn't there yet. And most people could do well in adding a few runs only half that length. It doesn't seem like much, but the little bits can add up a lot.

2017-01-12 8:18 PM
in reply to: bmarsh8386

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by bmarsh8386

I love walk breaks. They keep me interested, injury free and I think I'm probably even a little faster since they help me pace.
I haven't been doing them for this cycle because the only drawback is it is hard to run with friends unless they are on a run/walk plan too.

I am always VERY careful to be the person who looks behind them before they start a walk break though!
I use walk breaks for a number of reasons:
1. I am a fairly new runner with no real running base.
2. My goal for this year is to run the Disney Challenge in Jan 2018. This means a slow build up based on 5 runs a week (so using the shorter and more often theory).
3. I am over 40 and more prone to injury
4. I am around 25lbs over weight (but working on this so far down over 5 since Christmas)

I have found that now I am actually faster using run/walk than I am if I just run. That is because taking the wlak break allows me to run at a faster pace during the run interval.

2017-01-12 8:26 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I don't wear zero drop shoes, but did switch to Kinvara a few years ago for about half of my runs. I started by wearing them mainly for shorter, easier runs on grass before working up to longer runs and harder surfaces. No serious issues beyond slightly sore calves for several days, then that went away. Now I find them a lot more comfortable than other shoes, and they are my go-to for any longer or faster runs, as well as races. I think in my case it's less a matter of being low-drop than that they're lighter and more flexible than my other shoes. I have issues with a lot of shoes because they are either 1) super-heavy when they inevitably become totally soaked with sweat, which pretty much happens on any run over 50-60 minutes here and/or 2) Too rigid to let me go through my natural stride. Particularly true of "motion control" shoes. I think they are designed for considerably heavier runners than me. They never fail to make my feet, hips, and back really sore.

Hope I am back in good graces on BT.....This morning at home when I tried to post anything, I was getting a message saying, "This IP has been restricted". Unsure if site glitch, my ISP, or Big Brother!
2017-01-12 8:38 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

Master
Northern IL

Stacey, it can be encouraging to see, but careful of your pace getting faster with the breaks. Is what you're following designed that way? Easy pace is supposed to be easy pace regardless, meaning that it should be about the same no matter how far you're going. Working a bit faster like that can get a bit into a no mans land or a little counter productive. Look at easier more so just as building up more running. There are reasons to go faster at times, just careful of doing it for the sake of being able to.

2017-01-12 8:53 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot Runner I don't wear zero drop shoes, but did switch to Kinvara a few years ago for about half of my runs. I started by wearing them mainly for shorter, easier runs on grass before working up to longer runs and harder surfaces. No serious issues beyond slightly sore calves for several days, then that went away. Now I find them a lot more comfortable than other shoes, and they are my go-to for any longer or faster runs, as well as races. I think in my case it's less a matter of being low-drop than that they're lighter and more flexible than my other shoes. I have issues with a lot of shoes because they are either 1) super-heavy when they inevitably become totally soaked with sweat, which pretty much happens on any run over 50-60 minutes here and/or 2) Too rigid to let me go through my natural stride. Particularly true of "motion control" shoes. I think they are designed for considerably heavier runners than me. They never fail to make my feet, hips, and back really sore. Hope I am back in good graces on BT.....This morning at home when I tried to post anything, I was getting a message saying, "This IP has been restricted". Unsure if site glitch, my ISP, or Big Brother!

I loved those shoes too. Worked through the calf adjustments for a few months and had knee & other things just vanished. Drove the sales guy who introduced me to them nuts as he wanted to fix or control things trying to help stabilize the problem. In typical fashion for me, the exact opposite seemed like it would work better. Neutral shoes without the support or motion control that might force things to act a bit funny. I liked how these were soft yet still had some spring too, kind of like the previous pair of shoes I had brought in to help explain what I liked (and didn't). They had a softness to them, but weren't so squishy or thick with it that I couldn't feel what was going on under. That's something I don't like about some heftier soled shoes. Needs to absorb some shock, but still have a good feel of what's going on. I've had issues when the feel is lost. Once in awhile I did get a little unnerved as they could be a bit too soft later in a fast/hard race and I didn't have quite the same level of stride control, almost rolling over. I also raced at ~177-183, so while not overly heavy in general terms, not exactly the lightest for endurance athletes.

2017-01-12 10:55 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yep. I tend to supinate (I'm naturally a bit knock-kneed, I guess), which just drives running store people nuts as it's not that common. They always think I need big-time motion control shoes. But as soon as those go on, a whole bunch of problems come up that I never had in the first place. I'm 115-120 pounds when in racing shape. Somehow guessing that's on the light end of the running shoe market. I've head from a lot of lighter women runners that they have similar issues with "motion control" type shoes.

Actually I've had very few running-related injuries. My off and on low-grade issues with sciatica/piriformis date from a torn hamstring due to falling on ice, and a bike/car collision almost 20 years ago that messed up my SI joint. Running or not running, and shoes make little difference. More a matter of staying on top of strength training for all muscles in that area, plus stretching, adequate warmup and cool down, icing and not sitting too much/soon after hard workouts and races, etc.
2017-01-13 7:23 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Got in touch with Laura today through FB because she hasn't been around since Christmas and her logs are empty.

She said to say hi to everyone. With her new job she has no internet surfing ability so no BT or Manatees. She said that she is doin ok and hopes to get back to training soon.
2017-01-13 7:42 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Oh hi! Some new humans--welcome!--and returnee Manatees old and new.

Introduction ... uh, I'm Yanti. I'm from Indonesia and live there as well as Perth, Australia where Stace Face and my husband live. (Not together. I'm the one who lives with my husband. Although it was Stace Face who carried my husband over the threshold after our wedding ... which was during the run leg of Ironman Western Australia). I also travel a lot.

Mostly I coach and it's hard to find time to train myself!

Extremely difficult life events happening for me now, so my planned training/racing schedule is pretty much suspended. I'm still swimming about 10K/week but that's it. We'll see what comes up.

And if anyone's racing this weekend, GO RACING MANATEES!!!

And whoever needs to heal, from whatever, I send strength and healing wishes.

2017-01-13 9:22 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Oh hi! Some new humans--welcome!--and returnee Manatees old and new.

Introduction ... uh, I'm Yanti. I'm from Indonesia and live there as well as Perth, Australia where Stace Face and my husband live. (Not together. I'm the one who lives with my husband. Although it was Stace Face who carried my husband over the threshold after our wedding ... which was during the run leg of Ironman Western Australia). I also travel a lot.

Mostly I coach and it's hard to find time to train myself!

Extremely difficult life events happening for me now, so my planned training/racing schedule is pretty much suspended. I'm still swimming about 10K/week but that's it. We'll see what comes up.

And if anyone's racing this weekend, GO RACING MANATEES!!!

And whoever needs to heal, from whatever, I send strength and healing wishes.

I'm glad to see you here, Yanti!  I hope that you and Kingsley have managed to get food into the house.  {{hugs}}

2017-01-13 9:27 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK Got in touch with Laura today through FB because she hasn't been around since Christmas and her logs are empty. She said to say hi to everyone. With her new job she has no internet surfing ability so no BT or Manatees. She said that she is doin ok and hopes to get back to training soon.

Clearly she likes you more that she likes me! She has not been responding to me on FB :-(

2017-01-13 9:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

OK, Manatees, I'm hoping someone can help me out.  I'm compiling a 'Wish List' of destination races and I know there is one vaguely 'out west' that is part (or all) dirt trail and it goes through an old historic railroad tunnel.  It looks kinda desert-y to me, but then again what does this east coaster know?  Does anyone know the name of it?  Yeah, I know, I didn't give the best of details...

Edited to add: this is a running race

Edited by melbo55 2017-01-13 9:44 AM
2017-01-13 9:50 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

OK, Manatees, I'm hoping someone can help me out.  I'm compiling a 'Wish List' of destination races and I know there is one vaguely 'out west' that is part (or all) dirt trail and it goes through an old historic railroad tunnel.  It looks kinda desert-y to me, but then again what does this east coaster know?  Does anyone know the name of it?  Yeah, I know, I didn't give the best of details...

I don't know if this is the race, but it hits your description of out west (Seattle area) and through a railroad tunnel and trail!   http://jackjillmarathon.com/#about

2017-01-13 10:39 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

What other races are you looking at? This sounds like an awesome list, I want to see it

Anyone else live in Winter Storm Jupiter's path? We are bracing for a pretty severe icing situation here in Kansas. My work region also covers Omaha, Oklahoma City and Tulsa, who are all going to be affected as well. Yay winter!

2017-01-13 10:44 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by lisac957

What other races are you looking at? This sounds like an awesome list, I want to see it

Anyone else live in Winter Storm Jupiter's path? We are bracing for a pretty severe icing situation here in Kansas. My work region also covers Omaha, Oklahoma City and Tulsa, who are all going to be affected as well. Yay winter!

I think that Anne, Ben, and Mary G. might also be in the the affected area (is Chicago going to be affect or only part of the state?).  Thinking of all of you!

Melanie, like Lisa, I am wondering what else is on your list.

2017-01-13 10:52 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by amd723

I don't know if this is the race, but it hits your description of out west (Seattle area) and through a railroad tunnel and trail!   http://jackjillmarathon.com/#about

Hmm, no, that's not the one I had in mind (a little too far west!) but that does sound like a very fun race.  The one I am talking about is in one of the states that has scenery like in Western movies (horsesh*t and gunsmoke, as Dad used to say).  The train tunnel is from that era (I think), of the Wild West.  Yeah, I know, generalizing/stereotyping(?) but I'm not sure how else to describe the scant memories I have of reports I've read about it.   

2017-01-13 11:02 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Hmm, no, that's not the one I had in mind (a little too far west!) but that does sound like a very fun race.  The one I am talking about is in one of the states that has scenery like in Western movies (horsesh*t and gunsmoke, as Dad used to say).  The train tunnel is from that era (I think), of the Wild West.  Yeah, I know, generalizing/stereotyping(?) but I'm not sure how else to describe the scant memories I have of reports I've read about it.   

Can you at least narrow it down by distance, half marathon, full?  Utah has terrain that looks like the wild west movies. 

2017-01-13 11:49 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Didn't Adrienne do one like that?  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=541956

I think that one's also in Washington.

2017-01-13 11:50 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by lisac957

I think that Anne, Ben, and Mary G. might also be in the the affected area (is Chicago going to be affect or only part of the state?).  Thinking of all of you!

Melanie, like Lisa, I am wondering what else is on your list.

We're getting a couple of inches of snow tomorrow -  no biggie other  than the traffic mess it will create.  It was 70 yesterday, so typical Maryland winter.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102