BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-01-24 6:40 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by johnthecat Sorry I've been MIA. Looks like I have quite a bit to catch up. Had more Doctors appointments than I can wish for over the last 3 weeks. After getting a Nerve conduction study last week that showed more nerve damage than my last study 3 1/2 years ago it turns out that I either have Guillain-Barre again, have a major flare up or have the chronic version. Symptoms seem to have stabilized, though we have a course of IV steroids ready to roll if needed so hopefully it's not the chronic version. (First two options are self limiting to the damage, while with the chronic version the nerve damage progresses). In any case it will probably take me a while to whip myself back into shape. Right now it's 10-15 minutes walking a day that is all I can do with the back and nerve pain and to not fatigue out. Will keep you guys posted on how it goes.

Yowza, that is a whole lot for any one person to be working through. I hope and pray that you are not dealing with the chronic type.

Yes, that is a lot to deal with! I hope it's not chronic and you get relief soon

2017-01-24 6:55 AM
in reply to: Rileyvb91

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition

Originally posted by Rileyvb91 Just finished my first 3 weeks of building and time now for a nice easy week So far this month running has getting way easier and I find that I can start pushing through my fatigue. Lifting some weights has also been giving me the strength to handle these sessions!

Riley, this is great news! It's such a nice feeling with the run starts to feel better.

Could you please start using the training logs here on BT?

2017-01-24 6:57 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5 Thanks for the well wishes all! Was fun to race again after almost 2 years off. Was my second fastest half (although you need to really look at the course elevation before saying congrats on that one!). Felt good just to work hard again. Mike, hoping the surgery goes well (attention hog or no!). Yanti - thoughts are with you, as ever. It gets better, but not without time and loved ones in your corner (luckily, you have a fuller corner than just about anyone). Off to CA for the third time this month now. Oy... Matt

Congrats on both the half and getting back into training in general.  I keep on hearing really good things about the 3M Half Marathon and I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

Safe travels!

2017-01-24 7:04 AM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by johnthecat Sorry I've been MIA. Looks like I have quite a bit to catch up. Had more Doctors appointments than I can wish for over the last 3 weeks. After getting a Nerve conduction study last week that showed more nerve damage than my last study 3 1/2 years ago it turns out that I either have Guillain-Barre again, have a major flare up or have the chronic version. Symptoms seem to have stabilized, though we have a course of IV steroids ready to roll if needed so hopefully it's not the chronic version. (First two options are self limiting to the damage, while with the chronic version the nerve damage progresses). In any case it will probably take me a while to whip myself back into shape. Right now it's 10-15 minutes walking a day that is all I can do with the back and nerve pain and to not fatigue out. Will keep you guys posted on how it goes.

I am so sorry to hear about the flare up (hope it's "just" a flare up that's subsiding and nothing more than that.  a flare up is plenty!).  What a lot to deal with.  I hope the walking is going well.  Please take care and do your best to not overdo things.  Take care!

2017-01-24 10:35 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Smithtown, New York
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Rileyvb91 Just finished my first 3 weeks of building and time now for a nice easy week So far this month running has getting way easier and I find that I can start pushing through my fatigue. Lifting some weights has also been giving me the strength to handle these sessions!

Riley, this is great news! It's such a nice feeling with the run starts to feel better.

How would I be able to transfer the data from garmin connect to BT??
2017-01-24 11:50 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Rileyvb91

It's a one-time set up - http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1504 

When you upload to connect, it will also go to BT 

2017-01-24 1:17 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Smithtown, New York
Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by Rileyvb91

It's a one-time set up - http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1504 

When you upload to connect, it will also go to BT 

So now I'll be having updates every week!
2017-01-24 3:01 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Just catching up -

Yanti I hope you continue to have more good days than bad

John - that totally sucks and I hope you do the same and have more good days in your future than bad.

2017-01-24 8:05 PM
in reply to: #5208007

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Semi-serious question for the pod as I wait to board my flight...

I'm thinking of hopping back into a fun tri and considering options. One is galveston 70.3 in like 9 weeks. Other is wait another couple months for an Oly (and who likes to wait?).

Here's the question. How do you tell if you can do enough work to participate - not race at a fast-for-me pace, but accept going slower but feel only the regular race pain - not the "omg I'm gonna die cuz I'm out of shape" pain?

I've never been in quite this spot, where my run is coming back, I'm short on bike hours and haven't swum in like 6-9 months. The run and even bike I'm ok with (just have to go slower, although the bike is a concern), but I have no idea on the swim.

Anyone have experience with anything similar to this circumstance? It's new to me, and I know is prolly hard to answer at all, but thought I'd ask...

Thanks for thoughts.
Matt
2017-01-24 8:28 PM
in reply to: #5211304

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
As a follow up, mostly what I'm asking is how I might think about fitness in the three disciplines and combined - not if anyone has a magic answer.

I know what it takes me to get my run fitness back, and have a sense on the bike, but no idea on the swim in particular. Also, how that particular combination might work together in tri...

K, I'll stop now!

Thanks.
M
2017-01-24 9:22 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

As a follow up, mostly what I'm asking is how I might think about fitness in the three disciplines and combined - not if anyone has a magic answer.

I know what it takes me to get my run fitness back, and have a sense on the bike, but no idea on the swim in particular. Also, how that particular combination might work together in tri...

K, I'll stop now!

Thanks.
M

The HIM swim is a long swim, especially when you are not in swim shape.and could be the start of a really horrible day. I would consider waiting for the Oly myself.

2017-01-25 3:35 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I can't imagine jumping into a HIM without a pretty solid base of training (i.e. more than 9 weeks). Even "just to finish"--if the swim, bike, and run individually aren't things you feel confident doing stand-alone right now, no way. My usual rule of thumb is that I would be okay if I could do about 25-50% longer than the distance of the swim, bike, or run all by itself without physical or mental self implosion. So I probably wouldn't try a HIM unless I was sure I could swim about 3K continuously, bike about 4 hours, and run about 2 hours, at any speed. I think my limit for "jumping in" with fairly minimal training (couple of hour-ish workouts each week in each leg) would be an Olympic; with none, a sprint. Definitely get in an make sure you still remember how to swim! It's muscle memory but it feels pretty awkward for the first weeks back, probably more so if you learned as an adult.
2017-01-25 4:53 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by Jet Black

Racing Manatee!!!

January 21-22
McMatt - 3M Half Marathon on Sunday

Disabled List
Mike - under the weather

Mike's surgery is on Wednesday the 25th. (<<< look at Mike, hogging all of the attention!)

Go Matt Go!!

Hope you get the fix you need Mike and that all goes well with the surgery.

Yes, good luck today in surgery, Mike
2017-01-25 7:37 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot Runner I can't imagine jumping into a HIM without a pretty solid base of training (i.e. more than 9 weeks). Even "just to finish"--if the swim, bike, and run individually aren't things you feel confident doing stand-alone right now, no way. My usual rule of thumb is that I would be okay if I could do about 25-50% longer than the distance of the swim, bike, or run all by itself without physical or mental self implosion. So I probably wouldn't try a HIM unless I was sure I could swim about 3K continuously, bike about 4 hours, and run about 2 hours, at any speed. I think my limit for "jumping in" with fairly minimal training (couple of hour-ish workouts each week in each leg) would be an Olympic; with none, a sprint. Definitely get in an make sure you still remember how to swim! It's muscle memory but it feels pretty awkward for the first weeks back, probably more so if you learned as an adult.

Personally, I'd be something like this. Would also consider emphasizing one sport more instead, maybe still keep up a second sport to an extant. Some of those bike rides in the past couple years were fantastic.

2017-01-25 8:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas

K, I'll stop now!

Thanks.
M

I'm going to have to agree with everyone else that jumping right into a HIM with only 9 weeks to get back into swim shape probably isn't the best idea. That swim could wear your arse out and make for a pretty unpleasant day. You'd need to be swimming 3-5 days a week which may not leave you much time to bike/run.

What about the Kemah olympic or sprint (beginnng of March)? Even the Oly has quite a long swim so might consider the sprint.

There's also a local sprint 5 minutes from my house the weekend after Galveston that ends at a local brewery. I'll put you up at my house if you want to do that one. If you get serious about your training you could actually race that and have a lot more fun than putzing around Galveston imo. Then you'd be primed to possibly race the Oly in Austin that I think you're talking about. Let me know.

As far as splitting up the disciplines, that's very personal IMO. But since you haven't been swimming, I'd target 3x per week. And try to increase volume per session each week a little bit until you're swimming 3k 3x per week.

From what I remember, you're pretty slippery so I'd plan to take it easy on the bike in races since you haven't built volume there yet. Easiest to do that on the bike, and since you're slippery it won't kill your time.

So I'd focus on Swim & Run and do a couple of sweet spot bike rides per week and try to do a longer ride once at least every other week.

Edited by Jet Black 2017-01-25 8:47 AM
2017-01-25 9:43 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake

Racing Manatee!!!

January 21-22

Disabled List
Mike - under the weather

Mike's surgery is on Wednesday the 25th. (<<< look at Mike, hogging all of the attention!)

Go Matt Go!! Hope you get the fix you need Mike and that all goes well with the surgery.

Thinking of you, Mike!

2017-01-25 11:18 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by abake

Racing Manatee!!!

January 21-22

Disabled List
Mike - under the weather

Go Matt Go!! Hope you get the fix you need Mike and that all goes well with the surgery.

Thinking of you, Mike!

x2 !!!!!

2017-01-25 11:19 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member

me. I was going to climb stairs at the chimney rock state park today. All dressed up, went and.... they are closed today.

2017-01-25 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Thanks for the feedback all.  You're right, of course - would be a bit foolish to jump too far out into the deep end (although a part of me now is curious what that would feel like, but that's likely a better thought experiment - over a beer - than real one over 70.3 miles).  Fun to think about, though.  I like new territory, and figuring out how to approach this particular season counts for me.

Sean, thanks for the offer - very generous!  I'm going to think hard on that one, and my season as a whole, over the next few days and try to figure what's both doable and reasonable (I'll DM you).  I have often considered only the former...

Think I'll hit the pool tonight, regardless, and see how the elbow does.  Ugh, I feel myself creeping back toward tri!  Lol...

Mike, I hope today goes well.

Robin, all dressed up and no place to go - bummer!  You get a good workout in anyway?

Matt

2017-01-25 2:51 PM

User image

Smithtown, New York

Semi-serious question for the pod as I wait to board my flight...

I'm thinking of hopping back into a fun tri and considering options. One is galveston 70.3 in like 9 weeks. Other is wait another couple months for an Oly (and who likes to wait?).

Here's the question. How do you tell if you can do enough work to participate - not race at a fast-for-me pace, but accept going slower but feel only the regular race pain - not the "omg I'm gonna die cuz I'm out of shape" pain?

I've never been in quite this spot, where my run is coming back, I'm short on bike hours and haven't swum in like 6-9 months. The run and even bike I'm ok with (just have to go slower, although the bike is a concern), but I have no idea on the swim.

Anyone have experience with anything similar to this circumstance? It's new to me, and I know is prolly hard to answer at all, but thought I'd ask...

Thanks for thoughts.
Matt

Take the time and build for the oly. In our sport it's always better to start conservatively than all out! When going to the pool focus on your swim form, drill it into your head and then when your sick of drilling drill some more! Having great freestyle form, even on minimal swimming, will get you very far in races. I did that last year and the swim was by for my best discipline.

Focus on getting at least 3 workouts from each discipline in a week. You don't need to go hard, just steady. Build your endurance up by 10% every week and on the fourth take it nice and easy to recover. Have a brick workout where you'll be out for around 2-3 hours to get used to being on the course. Building as much endurance as you safely can and the extra time will get you through the oly nice n good
2017-01-25 3:34 PM
in reply to: #5208007

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Matt - I am on of few dissenting voices that says do it. More later when I am on a computer.

2017-01-25 4:52 PM
in reply to: #5211409

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
My pod!!! Once a Manatee, always a Manatee, right?
I'll keep the bio brief: I'm Laura, and last year I did a sprint and an oly and now I'm back for more. I have an irrational fear on my bike, love to swim, and get cranky if I don't sweat once a day.
New news is that the job, which I started a few weeks ago, is going really well. It's a secure site, so my precious BT time is limkted. I will try to be a better Manager and check in more.
Love to you all, and hope surgery went well for Mike!
2017-01-25 4:54 PM
in reply to: #5211424

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Wow, how do you edit posts on the mobile site? Typos much? Ugh...I may need to get on an actual computer.
2017-01-25 5:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by Atlantia

Wow, how do you edit posts on the mobile site? Typos much? Ugh...I may need to get on an actual computer.

Welcome back, Laura! Good to see you!

Argh secure sites! Leave the cell at the door too, I bet. Glad it is going well though.

Edited by awm007 2017-01-25 5:05 PM
2017-01-25 5:19 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

me. I was going to climb stairs at the chimney rock state park today. All dressed up, went and.... they are closed today.

Boo!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102