BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-01-25 5:21 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by Atlantia My pod!!! Once a Manatee, always a Manatee, right? I'll keep the bio brief: I'm Laura, and last year I did a sprint and an oly and now I'm back for more. I have an irrational fear on my bike, love to swim, and get cranky if I don't sweat once a day. New news is that the job, which I started a few weeks ago, is going really well. It's a secure site, so my precious BT time is limkted. I will try to be a better Manager and check in more. Love to you all, and hope surgery went well for Mike!

Welcome back, Laura! 

If you have a chance to post a bio, that would be great! 

2017-01-25 7:51 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5 Semi-serious question for the pod as I wait to board my flight... I'm thinking of hopping back into a fun tri and considering options. One is galveston 70.3 in like 9 weeks. Other is wait another couple months for an Oly (and who likes to wait?). Here's the question. How do you tell if you can do enough work to participate - not race at a fast-for-me pace, but accept going slower but feel only the regular race pain - not the "omg I'm gonna die cuz I'm out of shape" pain? I've never been in quite this spot, where my run is coming back, I'm short on bike hours and haven't swum in like 6-9 months. The run and even bike I'm ok with (just have to go slower, although the bike is a concern), but I have no idea on the swim. Anyone have experience with anything similar to this circumstance? It's new to me, and I know is prolly hard to answer at all, but thought I'd ask... Thanks for thoughts. Matt

I'm going to say that it would be an interesting challenge. You have historically raced hard at the 70.3 distance, so I think the biggest challenge for you would be mental. Not going full out race pace from 2015. Instead, work on the swim as much as possible, ride the bike a bit, run when you can in training. Then, take what the day and the course have for you on race day.  I think your current shape is probably better than most "out of shape" people. Also, you stated that you would be racing for fun and that you would "accept going slower". 

Also, if memory serves, you like the race experience. So, go race!

I believe the standard answer is, "Do It!"

2017-01-25 7:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Double Whammy

Edited by cdban66 2017-01-25 7:52 PM
2017-01-25 7:52 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Atlantia My pod!!! Once a Manatee, always a Manatee, right? I'll keep the bio brief: I'm Laura, and last year I did a sprint and an oly and now I'm back for more. I have an irrational fear on my bike, love to swim, and get cranky if I don't sweat once a day. New news is that the job, which I started a few weeks ago, is going really well. It's a secure site, so my precious BT time is limkted. I will try to be a better Manager and check in more. Love to you all, and hope surgery went well for Mike!

Welcome back, Laura! 

As always, welcome.

2017-01-26 4:56 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, everyone.  Thank you all for the well and good luck wishes.  Surgery went as expected - even got in and out of there early if you can believe that.  A few days to recover then I start walking unrestricted.  Follow up in 4+ weeks and I think I'll be swimming and biking then.  Maybe PT - I'm going to request it so I can be taught/shown what to do and then go from there.

More later...thanks again Manatees!

2017-01-26 6:18 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Hi, everyone.  Thank you all for the well and good luck wishes.  Surgery went as expected - even got in and out of there early if you can believe that.  A few days to recover then I start walking unrestricted.  Follow up in 4+ weeks and I think I'll be swimming and biking then.  Maybe PT - I'm going to request it so I can be taught/shown what to do and then go from there.

I'm happy to see all went well and hope your recovery is easy!!

2017-01-26 8:19 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by jmkizer

Welcome back, Laura! 

As always, welcome.

Roster updated!

2017-01-26 8:20 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Great news!

Fingers crossed for an uneventful recovery.

2017-01-26 8:39 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Thanks for the feedback all.  You're right, of course - would be a bit foolish to jump too far out into the deep end (although a part of me now is curious what that would feel like, but that's likely a better thought experiment - over a beer - than real one over 70.3 miles).  Fun to think about, though.  I like new territory, and figuring out how to approach this particular season counts for me.

Sean, thanks for the offer - very generous!  I'm going to think hard on that one, and my season as a whole, over the next few days and try to figure what's both doable and reasonable (I'll DM you).  I have often considered only the former...

Think I'll hit the pool tonight, regardless, and see how the elbow does.  Ugh, I feel myself creeping back toward tri!  Lol...

Mike, I hope today goes well.

Robin, all dressed up and no place to go - bummer!  You get a good workout in anyway?

Matt

Sadly, No. I got caught up in yardwork and other chores. It was 72 here yesterday. I opened up the house and picked up branches in the yard from the wind storms we had.

2017-01-26 8:49 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

That is excellent news! Hope all goes easier than you plan, too!

2017-01-26 9:56 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by ceilidh

Agree, it's great news! But still, take it easy - and good call on asking for PT - better to have someone show you what your new normal is.

2017-01-26 10:01 AM

User image

Hey everyone, I'm back from sunny San Diego and trying to catch up on all the chatter. Mike, wish you a speedy recovery! As I was out running over the past few days I started thinking about my stride length. I've always been incredibly inflexible (can barely reach past my knees with straight legs) and I've been thinking that one of the keys to get from around 7:30/mile to below 7 would be to lengthen my stride. Has anyone else found that by getting more nimble/stretchy(?) they've become faster? I've always hated stretching and never really do it...
2017-01-26 10:19 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by TXTriRook Hey everyone, I'm back from sunny San Diego and trying to catch up on all the chatter. Mike, wish you a speedy recovery! As I was out running over the past few days I started thinking about my stride length. I've always been incredibly inflexible (can barely reach past my knees with straight legs) and I've been thinking that one of the keys to get from around 7:30/mile to below 7 would be to lengthen my stride. Has anyone else found that by getting more nimble/stretchy(?) they've become faster? I've always hated stretching and never really do it...

Actually it's the opposite - shortening my stride and focusing on a higher cadence when running really improved my speed and I finally broke through that 50-minute mark for the 10k distance. 

As for flexibility i haven't had any running form really impact that. I have always had tight hamstrings/hips and love yoga for opening everything up. It feels less like stretching and combines so many good things; meditation, flexibility, mobility and strength. I haven't been in ages. I need to go to yoga ... 

2017-01-26 10:31 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by TXTriRook Hey everyone, I'm back from sunny San Diego and trying to catch up on all the chatter. Mike, wish you a speedy recovery! As I was out running over the past few days I started thinking about my stride length. I've always been incredibly inflexible (can barely reach past my knees with straight legs) and I've been thinking that one of the keys to get from around 7:30/mile to below 7 would be to lengthen my stride. Has anyone else found that by getting more nimble/stretchy(?) they've become faster? I've always hated stretching and never really do it...

Actually it's the opposite - shortening my stride and focusing on a higher cadence when running really improved my speed and I finally broke through that 50-minute mark for the 10k distance. 

As for flexibility i haven't had any running form really impact that. I have always had tight hamstrings/hips and love yoga for opening everything up. It feels less like stretching and combines so many good things; meditation, flexibility, mobility and strength. I haven't been in ages. I need to go to yoga ... 

I've done yoga a few times but I'd rather have a good sweat or s/b/r than do a yoga class. Unfortunately with only enough time for 1 workout a day (most days!) I have to be selective. As for my cadence, I'm able to hold 170 cadence pretty consistently but I'm still yet to break a 45 min 10K.
2017-01-26 10:35 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5 Semi-serious question for the pod as I wait to board my flight... I'm thinking of hopping back into a fun tri and considering options. One is galveston 70.3 in like 9 weeks. Other is wait another couple months for an Oly (and who likes to wait?). Here's the question. How do you tell if you can do enough work to participate - not race at a fast-for-me pace, but accept going slower but feel only the regular race pain - not the "omg I'm gonna die cuz I'm out of shape" pain? I've never been in quite this spot, where my run is coming back, I'm short on bike hours and haven't swum in like 6-9 months. The run and even bike I'm ok with (just have to go slower, although the bike is a concern), but I have no idea on the swim. Anyone have experience with anything similar to this circumstance? It's new to me, and I know is prolly hard to answer at all, but thought I'd ask... Thanks for thoughts. Matt

I'm going to say that it would be an interesting challenge. You have historically raced hard at the 70.3 distance, so I think the biggest challenge for you would be mental. Not going full out race pace from 2015. Instead, work on the swim as much as possible, ride the bike a bit, run when you can in training. Then, take what the day and the course have for you on race day.  I think your current shape is probably better than most "out of shape" people. Also, you stated that you would be racing for fun and that you would "accept going slower". 

Also, if memory serves, you like the race experience. So, go race!

I believe the standard answer is, "Do It!"

I think that it all comes down to what you want to get out of the event.  Be honest with yourself.

2017-01-26 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by TXTriRook

I've done yoga a few times but I'd rather have a good sweat or s/b/r than do a yoga class. Unfortunately with only enough time for 1 workout a day (most days!) I have to be selective. As for my cadence, I'm able to hold 170 cadence pretty consistently but I'm still yet to break a 45 min 10K.

I think you need to be careful when you increase your stride length as over striding can lead to injury.  If you do exercises to gain flexibility in your hip flexors you will have a better range of motion that coupled with exercises to strengthen  your glutes so you can push off more powerfully may lead to a longer, efficient stride without causing injury.  Quick cadence is also important to increase speed, so I'd work on also trying to get my cadence up to around 180.

2017-01-26 12:00 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Pennsylvania

Welcome back!!!

2017-01-26 12:03 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Thanks for the update, Mike, glad everything went smoothly.  Sounds like you are taking a smart approach to rehab and getting back at it.  Heal carefully and well!

2017-01-26 12:26 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I am currently working on a shorter stride length, specifically to keep my feet "underneath" me. Like others, I am looking for a higher cadence as well. I have been a heelstriker my entire life and the PF fight I am going through has made me think through everything. EVERY. THING. And I have found that one thing that helps keep the heel pain at bay and generally makes me feel good is consistently stretching. 10 minutes every morning, 10 minutes every night.  I'm not sure being more flexible makes me faster, but it helps me feel better.  This may simply be my perception, YMMV.

2017-01-26 1:43 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by amd723

I think you need to be careful when you increase your stride length as over striding can lead to injury.  If you do exercises to gain flexibility in your hip flexors you will have a better range of motion that coupled with exercises to strengthen  your glutes so you can push off more powerfully may lead to a longer, efficient stride without causing injury.  Quick cadence is also important to increase speed, so I'd work on also trying to get my cadence up to around 180.

This is what I understand as well - so i always see a caution flag on lengthening out strides. My early coached run groups always talked about shorter strides and keeping your feed under you (like Chris said).

I totally get it on the yoga. Different strokes. Something else to look into are some specific drills, i had one coach recommend leg swings - and these can be done at the beginning/end of a run without too much imposition. 

2017-01-26 3:17 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

I get the proper running form with your feet landing directly below you and having been working on that for some time now, I feel pretty good about that aspect of my form. I find when I watch videos/other runners that blow by me, while it's definitely a combo of stride and cadence, I was thinking I should put some time into lengthening my stride for my never-ending attempt of running faster. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

2017-01-26 3:28 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Katy, Texas

Once again I'm going to agree with the POD. You want to run under 7:00/m? Get that cadence up above 180. Now I've tried to do that two different ways, one worked and the other didn't. Focusing on cadence did not work. Focusing on form did. Try and keep your stride behind you. Do that and your cadence will naturally go up.

go look at my run from Tuesday where I ran a fast mile as kind of a field test. I was cruising at around 7:40/m before the fast mile and my cadence was above 180. When I picked it up my cadence got up to 198 at one point. I used to run ~8:00/m at around 170 cadence as well. I think this has greatly increased my efficiency and has allowed me to run faster without working harder.

https://www.strava.com/activities/844044676
2017-01-26 3:35 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by ceilidh

Great news!!!!!!
2017-01-26 4:45 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Jet Black

Once again I'm going to agree with the POD. You want to run under 7:00/m? Get that cadence up above 180. Now I've tried to do that two different ways, one worked and the other didn't. Focusing on cadence did not work. Focusing on form did. Try and keep your stride behind you. Do that and your cadence will naturally go up. go look at my run from Tuesday where I ran a fast mile as kind of a field test. I was cruising at around 7:40/m before the fast mile and my cadence was above 180. When I picked it up my cadence got up to 198 at one point. I used to run ~8:00/m at around 170 cadence as well. I think this has greatly increased my efficiency and has allowed me to run faster without working harder. https://www.strava.com/activities/844044676

One thing that helps form a TON is running lots (yes, mostly slow, sometimes fast - but lots).  More time in the street helps your body figure out what is an economic style for you.

The caveat that flows from the above is that trying to just change your form all at once to what you see as an ideal might not be actually ideal for you and might get you injured if you just implement the full change at once (speaking from personal experience and also others' experience as conveyed).

That is not to say that you should not do drills to increase your cadence, focus on leg recovery, or try a different upper body position, or different arm carriage, etc.  More that those need to be drills working you incrementally to a new set point, preferably one at a time at first, and coupled with lots of just plain old running for you to understand what drives your own best economy.

I've certainly learned more from running, drilling on the track and then recording what works on my fast runs than I could pull from Runners' World or the like (which often have a general rule or a recent fad - both of which can be misleading or even dangerous in the extreme). Those are good idea sources for the lab (running).

Just my opinion, of course, so take it well salted.

Matt

(and my fast pace (5k or mile) cadence is also more in the 190's than 180's, with threshold a bit over 180, tempo around 180, and slow runs ranging in the 170's usually - at least most days - but my legs are pretty short!)

2017-01-26 5:54 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Agree--while you want to try to avoid common mistakes like over-striding, arms crossing the midline, or too much vertical movement (being too "bouncy"), really your body will kind of naturally find the stride that is most efficient for it over the course of a lot of miles. That looks different for different people, because we have different biomechanics. If you look at a bunch of elite distance runners (for example, the Olympic marathon), pretty much all will look like they need an emergency pizza delivery or supplemental feeding from the UN, but once they start running, a few will look like poetry in motion, most will look fairly efficient, and there are always some who look really ungainly, but keep going forward at a rapid pace anyway. That includes some world record holders. (Ever watch Paula Radcliffe's head action in the final miles, or some of the African runners' arms? It clearly works for them, if not others!) For longer distances, you will also see a mix of mid foot and heel striking, even with the same athlete at different points in the race. Most do have a cadence close to 180--that is definitely something to work on as it seems efficient for most people. Many novice runners tend to over-stride, at too low a cadence.

You can find drills online to work on specific things like good arm position, running "tall", pushing off from the back foot rather than over-striding with the front foot, etc. These are good once a week or so ofor focusing a bit more on form (try one point at a time). Most runners could also benefit from some flexibility and strength work (especially glutes, hamstrings), if only to make them more resilient to injury so they can put in more time on the run. Personally, I haven't found yoga very useful--I've actually aggravated some problems with it. Maybe just never found the right class/instructor for my needs. I do incorporate some yoga poses into my stretching routine, though.

But really, even for the phenomenally talented (NOT placing myself in that group--I do have a 5K best of 17:04, but that was long, long ago with a much younger body, and that is good enough to be a strong HS runner at the state level for girls), there is no shortcut from building a solid base of mileage and, once you've done that, incorporating speed work targeted to your race distance and current fitness.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102