BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-02-08 10:40 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed
Originally posted by Jet Black

Originally posted by Hot Runner

Having one of "those weeks" here, too. Not sure if I was actually getting sick at the training camp, but I am sick now. Have been sick since Sunday. How can that much crap be in anyone's respiratory system? Ugh. Plus chills, muscle aches, etc. whenever I get too ambitious and try to actually do something. (We're not talking training here. Like going to the store, paying the cable bill, or fixing dinner.) Supposed to race this Sunday in Singapore but if I don't see substantial improvement by Friday, am going to need to pull the plug on that.

ugh, sorry to hear that. i'd go ahead and pull the plug if I was you.

x2. That sucks...hopefully you're able to kick it soon! How did training camp go? Did you make any significant improvements?

2017-02-08 12:54 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Expert
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by bmarsh8386 Ugh! My bike keeps falling off the trainer. I already worked 11 hours and am getting a late start but instead of calling it I am on the spin bike.

How in the world is your bike falling off the trainer?!

I've fallen off of my bike while on the trainer (it takes a special kind of grace), but I've never had my bike fall off of it.
2017-02-08 1:41 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella It is desavue all over again at my house. On Feb 14 of last year my Mom went into the nursing home where my wife works and my Dad moved in with us. On Thursday my mother in law goes into the nursing home where my wife works and my father in law moves in with us. Thankfully the issues aren't as severe and I don't think the situation is permanent, and hopefully has a better ending. She will be going for occupational and physical therapy, so it should be just a month or so.

Ugh!  I'm so sorry to hear this. 

2017-02-08 1:42 PM
in reply to: bmarsh8386

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by bmarsh8386 Ugh! My bike keeps falling off the trainer. I already worked 11 hours and am getting a late start but instead of calling it I am on the spin bike.

I used to go to trainer classes at my LBS.  (BYO bike and trainer, ride with friends inside the shop).  One time I was in trainer class and fell off. 

2017-02-08 1:44 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella

I've fallen off of my bike while on the trainer (it takes a special kind of grace), but I've never had my bike fall off of it.

haha! I'm glad that I'm not the only one!

2017-02-08 5:56 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmkizer

I used to go to trainer classes at my LBS.  (BYO bike and trainer, ride with friends inside the shop).  One time I was in trainer class and fell off. 

Fortunately I have only accomplished this trick in the privacy of my own basement, with my daughter's cat as the only witness. She didn't talk about it, at least as far as I know.

2017-02-08 7:32 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
The training camp was a lot of fun--awesome biking and I was pushed very hard on that-- but I think any "improvements" I might have made have long since been cancelled out by being sick all week. In retrospect, maybe I actually was coming down with this glop and that accounted for some of the allergy/fatigue issues when I was there. A real plus is that I was able to use the ice bath after some of the hard rides and got in two appointments with a really good sports PT who was able to get out some of the knots that my hamstrings and lower back had tied themselves into since my trip home in December (long story but I fell asleep in a really stupid position, and had been cramping up periodically ever since). Don't ever try to sleep in a V position in the exit row--it is NOT worth the few hours of relief from sore calves and swollen feet!

Probably not up for racing....but the complicating factor is that I really depend on my Singapore trips to restock with developed world stuff like granola bars and running shoes (and, sort of, for sanity). If I don't go, my next chance is in mid-April. Nothing--flights, hotel, entry-- can be refunded at this point. I will probably end up making some very last-minute calls on this--will head to the airport if I am feeling okay tomorrow after work; will race if I feel okay doing an easy jog and swim on Saturday. If not, then I won't. Might end up not going, or just going and shopping, but not racing. If the former, will be out at least $600. Ugh.

On the plus side (I guess), I now have a new "first world problem". As part of a Women for Tri initiative to increase the number of women at World Championships, based on my world AG ranking (18th) I got an invite to do 70.3 Worlds the year, without having to qualify. I now have 8 days to figure out if that's what I want to do, or stick to the original plan of trying to qualify for Kona at one of the China races in the fall. They are only one or two weeks apart so doing both not an option. Had originally felt that China was the more doable/promising of the two options, as I would have to qualify for Worlds, and Worlds is in the US (so not likely to do so at Cour de Alene, would have had to do Vietnam to have a good chance) but now that first reason is a moot point. Plus I just am not having a good feeling about racing in China with all the kerfuffle that our international relations are in right now and for the foreseeable future. Not just a US policy issue--Vietnam and China also DO NOT get along and getting the visa from here is an epic undertaking! At least since the US is my own country, I would not need a visa and (at least I don't think--my grandfather was actually an illegal immigrant but....) they would have no right to keep me from entering my own country!

Having to think through this while wondering if I actually have energy to walk down the street and get some coffee is crazy,.

2017-02-08 7:35 PM
in reply to: bmarsh8386

User image

Smithtown, New York
Since google for the life of me can't answer this I'm really wondering why disc wheels are only used for time trials, why don't we see them in road bike races such as a flat stage in the tour de france?
2017-02-08 9:07 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Rileyvb91 Since google for the life of me can't answer this I'm really wondering why disc wheels are only used for time trials, why don't we see them in road bike races such as a flat stage in the tour de france?

For a mass start race (like the stages you're thinking of) wheels need to be on this list or a previous version that it mentions. I'm not sure what some local race without a governing body would do. Likely have to put something in their rules, or just may not care.

ETA: I suspect very few would try to ride with one if they were allowed.

Edited by brigby1 2017-02-08 9:10 PM
2017-02-08 9:14 PM
in reply to: Rileyvb91

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Rileyvb91

Since google for the life of me can't answer this I'm really wondering why disc wheels are only used for time trials, why don't we see them in road bike races such as a flat stage in the tour de france?

I had disks when I first bought my last bike. It was great as long as there is little to no wind. If you get any wind they become sails and can make riding tough. I gave them up, because most of my rides are along Lake Huron and even on a calm day it is windy. I'm just guessing based on my experience, but those races are a lot longer than a time trial and a wind or a weather change would create havoc for the peloton.
2017-02-08 9:55 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Rileyvb91 Since google for the life of me can't answer this I'm really wondering why disc wheels are only used for time trials, why don't we see them in road bike races such as a flat stage in the tour de france?
I had disks when I first bought my last bike. It was great as long as there is little to no wind. If you get any wind they become sails and can make riding tough. I gave them up, because most of my rides are along Lake Huron and even on a calm day it is windy. I'm just guessing based on my experience, but those races are a lot longer than a time trial and a wind or a weather change would create havoc for the peloton.

What do you mean by disks (plural)? Front too or multiple rears?

2017-02-09 1:24 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Actually not a reply to anything, but since I seem to not be the only one having a tough week, thought I'd post this amusing little gem from IM Corp. They sent a list of ten (I think) reasons why one should sign up for IM Vietnam 70.3. This is #4--

4. Danang is absolutely gorgeous in May
Though many would argue, rightfully so, that Danang is nice year–round, most Vietnamese know that the city is especially spectacular in May. If you´re looking for a guaranteed sunny, warm day for your next race, IRONMAN 70.3 Vietnam should be at the top of your list.

Danang is admittedly a fairly attractive city (being generous here--it's no Vancouver or SF, but it does have a lot of nice beaches, even right in the city center, excellent and cheap seafood, and some quite spectacular bridges) but any Vietnamese (or foreign resident) asked to comment on Danang in May would answer, "Spectacularly hot!" Normally the last weeks of April/first weeks of May, at the tail end of dry season, is the hottest time of the year pretty much all through Vietnam. Guaranteed sunny, probably. Unless rainy season happens to arrive a few weeks early, in which case one might be racing (or not) in the "spectacular" wash-out storms that hail its beginning. (I have had to abandon runs in them, because I couldn't see where I was going, or breathe properly with all the water being driven into my face.) As for warm, last year was comparatively cool. It was about 90 degrees and 90% humidity, with a pleasant stiff breeze, when I finished at high noon. the year before, it was 104 with similar humidity. No, you won't freeze, or need your wetsuit. But seriously, what are these people smoking??

Or maybe this is aimed at the cold-blooded SE Asian athlete market? Or Mexicans? (I ran a lot of the Calgary race with two friendly Mexican guys who kept complaining how "cold" it was--I think it was 70 or 72.)
2017-02-09 6:58 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner Actually not a reply to anything, but since I seem to not be the only one having a tough week, thought I'd post this amusing little gem from IM Corp. They sent a list of ten (I think) reasons why one should sign up for IM Vietnam 70.3. This is #4-- 4. Danang is absolutely gorgeous in May Though many would argue, rightfully so, that Danang is nice year–round, most Vietnamese know that the city is especially spectacular in May. If you´re looking for a guaranteed sunny, warm day for your next race, IRONMAN 70.3 Vietnam should be at the top of your list. Danang is admittedly a fairly attractive city (being generous here--it's no Vancouver or SF, but it does have a lot of nice beaches, even right in the city center, excellent and cheap seafood, and some quite spectacular bridges) but any Vietnamese (or foreign resident) asked to comment on Danang in May would answer, "Spectacularly hot!" Normally the last weeks of April/first weeks of May, at the tail end of dry season, is the hottest time of the year pretty much all through Vietnam. Guaranteed sunny, probably. Unless rainy season happens to arrive a few weeks early, in which case one might be racing (or not) in the "spectacular" wash-out storms that hail its beginning. (I have had to abandon runs in them, because I couldn't see where I was going, or breathe properly with all the water being driven into my face.) As for warm, last year was comparatively cool. It was about 90 degrees and 90% humidity, with a pleasant stiff breeze, when I finished at high noon. the year before, it was 104 with similar humidity. No, you won't freeze, or need your wetsuit. But seriously, what are these people smoking?? Or maybe this is aimed at the cold-blooded SE Asian athlete market? Or Mexicans? (I ran a lot of the Calgary race with two friendly Mexican guys who kept complaining how "cold" it was--I think it was 70 or 72.)

Hah! PR people. "beautiful" and "good race conditions" are not synonymous. It is like Columbia, SC saying they are the "coolest, hot place in the south". It is hotter and more humid there than just about anywhere outside of the Okefenokee swamp.

2017-02-09 7:00 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by JBacarella It is desavue all over again at my house. On Feb 14 of last year my Mom went into the nursing home where my wife works and my Dad moved in with us. On Thursday my mother in law goes into the nursing home where my wife works and my father in law moves in with us. Thankfully the issues aren't as severe and I don't think the situation is permanent, and hopefully has a better ending. She will be going for occupational and physical therapy, so it should be just a month or so.

WOW! That is weird. I hope it works out much better for all of you!

2017-02-09 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner The training camp was a lot of fun--awesome biking and I was pushed very hard on that-- but I think any "improvements" I might have made have long since been cancelled out by being sick all week. In retrospect, maybe I actually was coming down with this glop and that accounted for some of the allergy/fatigue issues when I was there. A real plus is that I was able to use the ice bath after some of the hard rides and got in two appointments with a really good sports PT who was able to get out some of the knots that my hamstrings and lower back had tied themselves into since my trip home in December (long story but I fell asleep in a really stupid position, and had been cramping up periodically ever since). Don't ever try to sleep in a V position in the exit row--it is NOT worth the few hours of relief from sore calves and swollen feet! Probably not up for racing....but the complicating factor is that I really depend on my Singapore trips to restock with developed world stuff like granola bars and running shoes (and, sort of, for sanity). If I don't go, my next chance is in mid-April. Nothing--flights, hotel, entry-- can be refunded at this point. I will probably end up making some very last-minute calls on this--will head to the airport if I am feeling okay tomorrow after work; will race if I feel okay doing an easy jog and swim on Saturday. If not, then I won't. Might end up not going, or just going and shopping, but not racing. If the former, will be out at least $600. Ugh. On the plus side (I guess), I now have a new "first world problem". As part of a Women for Tri initiative to increase the number of women at World Championships, based on my world AG ranking (18th) I got an invite to do 70.3 Worlds the year, without having to qualify. I now have 8 days to figure out if that's what I want to do, or stick to the original plan of trying to qualify for Kona at one of the China races in the fall. They are only one or two weeks apart so doing both not an option. Had originally felt that China was the more doable/promising of the two options, as I would have to qualify for Worlds, and Worlds is in the US (so not likely to do so at Cour de Alene, would have had to do Vietnam to have a good chance) but now that first reason is a moot point. Plus I just am not having a good feeling about racing in China with all the kerfuffle that our international relations are in right now and for the foreseeable future. Not just a US policy issue--Vietnam and China also DO NOT get along and getting the visa from here is an epic undertaking! At least since the US is my own country, I would not need a visa and (at least I don't think--my grandfather was actually an illegal immigrant but....) they would have no right to keep me from entering my own country! Having to think through this while wondering if I actually have energy to walk down the street and get some coffee is crazy,.

Good thoughts for a speedy recovery.  And yes, I mean speedy in every sense here!

Just when you thought you had your A races selected.  Bam!

2017-02-09 8:49 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Actually not a reply to anything, but since I seem to not be the only one having a tough week, thought I'd post this amusing little gem from IM Corp. They sent a list of ten (I think) reasons why one should sign up for IM Vietnam 70.3. This is #4-- 4. Danang is absolutely gorgeous in May Though many would argue, rightfully so, that Danang is nice year–round, most Vietnamese know that the city is especially spectacular in May. If you´re looking for a guaranteed sunny, warm day for your next race, IRONMAN 70.3 Vietnam should be at the top of your list. Danang is admittedly a fairly attractive city (being generous here--it's no Vancouver or SF, but it does have a lot of nice beaches, even right in the city center, excellent and cheap seafood, and some quite spectacular bridges) but any Vietnamese (or foreign resident) asked to comment on Danang in May would answer, "Spectacularly hot!" Normally the last weeks of April/first weeks of May, at the tail end of dry season, is the hottest time of the year pretty much all through Vietnam. Guaranteed sunny, probably. Unless rainy season happens to arrive a few weeks early, in which case one might be racing (or not) in the "spectacular" wash-out storms that hail its beginning. (I have had to abandon runs in them, because I couldn't see where I was going, or breathe properly with all the water being driven into my face.) As for warm, last year was comparatively cool. It was about 90 degrees and 90% humidity, with a pleasant stiff breeze, when I finished at high noon. the year before, it was 104 with similar humidity. No, you won't freeze, or need your wetsuit. But seriously, what are these people smoking?? Or maybe this is aimed at the cold-blooded SE Asian athlete market? Or Mexicans? (I ran a lot of the Calgary race with two friendly Mexican guys who kept complaining how "cold" it was--I think it was 70 or 72.)

So you think that warm is underselling it, huh?  ;-)

2017-02-09 4:50 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Just a tad. I guess the concept is that the family will be happy lying on the beach or frolicking in the pool while you race. Better hope the family has plenty of melanin in that case. Sunscreen alone won't hack it--you should have seen all the burned pale people the past two years!

Then there's Bintan, which a few years ago, at least, was marketing itself as, "World's Only Triathlon Right on the Equator". Still remember my friend's husband shaking his head and saying, "That's really NOT a selling point for an event." As I recall, in that race, you have to fill out a form where you give them your room number and leave your key at the hotel desk, so that they can retrieve your things in the event you end up being medivacked unconscious to the mainland with heatstroke, which apparently happens to a couple people every year. They actually say this at the pre-race briefing! One year, one of the men's AG leaders went down right in front of me, presumably from heat, on the run course (he was lapping me, until he wasn't.)

Not only has Bintan (sprint and Oly) persisted, IM now also has a half and full there in August. (There aren't really any seasons, just day--hot and humid and bright, and night--a few degrees less hot, more humid, and dark.) I guess in that respect the IM might be the best deal--if you are slow enough, you get to do most/all of the run in the dark
2017-02-10 6:33 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner Just a tad. I guess the concept is that the family will be happy lying on the beach or frolicking in the pool while you race. Better hope the family has plenty of melanin in that case. Sunscreen alone won't hack it--you should have seen all the burned pale people the past two years! Then there's Bintan, which a few years ago, at least, was marketing itself as, "World's Only Triathlon Right on the Equator". Still remember my friend's husband shaking his head and saying, "That's really NOT a selling point for an event." As I recall, in that race, you have to fill out a form where you give them your room number and leave your key at the hotel desk, so that they can retrieve your things in the event you end up being medivacked unconscious to the mainland with heatstroke, which apparently happens to a couple people every year. They actually say this at the pre-race briefing! One year, one of the men's AG leaders went down right in front of me, presumably from heat, on the run course (he was lapping me, until he wasn't.) Not only has Bintan (sprint and Oly) persisted, IM now also has a half and full there in August. (There aren't really any seasons, just day--hot and humid and bright, and night--a few degrees less hot, more humid, and dark.) I guess in that respect the IM might be the best deal--if you are slow enough, you get to do most/all of the run in the dark

That is insane!

2017-02-10 6:51 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by Hot Runner Just a tad. I guess the concept is that the family will be happy lying on the beach or frolicking in the pool while you race. Better hope the family has plenty of melanin in that case. Sunscreen alone won't hack it--you should have seen all the burned pale people the past two years! Then there's Bintan, which a few years ago, at least, was marketing itself as, "World's Only Triathlon Right on the Equator". Still remember my friend's husband shaking his head and saying, "That's really NOT a selling point for an event." As I recall, in that race, you have to fill out a form where you give them your room number and leave your key at the hotel desk, so that they can retrieve your things in the event you end up being medivacked unconscious to the mainland with heatstroke, which apparently happens to a couple people every year. They actually say this at the pre-race briefing! One year, one of the men's AG leaders went down right in front of me, presumably from heat, on the run course (he was lapping me, until he wasn't.) Not only has Bintan (sprint and Oly) persisted, IM now also has a half and full there in August. (There aren't really any seasons, just day--hot and humid and bright, and night--a few degrees less hot, more humid, and dark.) I guess in that respect the IM might be the best deal--if you are slow enough, you get to do most/all of the run in the dark

That is insane!

yes, yes it is!!

2017-02-10 11:05 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Happy Friday everyone! 

Nervous about my biggest running weekend ever! 24 miles tomorrow, 10 miles Sunday. Then I can taper for my race in two weeks. Weather is looking good, if not downright warm at 73 degrees tomorrow. Not complaining, just odd for February. 

Hope everyone is doing well!

2017-02-10 11:25 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

I need to buy a wetsuit but haven't really a clue on what I am looking for. There seems to be a lot a price difference in them and obviously the more expensive the better it should be but I would be grateful if somebody could give me a few pointers in what I should be looking for?

2017-02-10 11:26 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Originally posted by lisac957

Happy Friday everyone! 

Nervous about my biggest running weekend ever! 24 miles tomorrow, 10 miles Sunday. Then I can taper for my race in two weeks. Weather is looking good, if not downright warm at 73 degrees tomorrow. Not complaining, just odd for February. 

Good luck with the races and massive respect for doing 24miles followed by 10miles the next day!
2017-02-10 11:27 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by lisac957

Happy Friday everyone! 

That's some serious running! Good luck and enjoy it! Be careful with the 73*, if you're not acclimated that can take a lot out of you, so make sure you are wll hydrated.

2017-02-10 12:21 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by brigby1

Well running seems to be ok at least. Half an hour in without any issues. Also with running, two days ago it was ~14F out. Today it was 53F. With just basic running gear on it started to feel like that dream of forgetting pants.

The back can be a fickle item indeed. I hope things settle into place.

Always remember your pants.

Yes. 

Glad it's on the mend, Ben.

2017-02-10 12:24 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I've done that, and have fallen off a spin bike in class, but I'd need a jackhammer to get my bike out of the trainer when it's locked in there.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102