BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-05-10 7:55 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by tomsimper I'm bored as the suns out and I keep seeing people running and riding and have to look jealously at them wishing I was doing what they are doing!

Yes! I remember being SO JEALOUS of everyone working out.

Is your doctor understanding about you wanting to be active?  Do you have a bike trainer?  If so, you might ask if he is OK with you using that.

How many weeks are you in the sling?

He doesn't seem overly understanding of my need to start training again which I am sure is the case with most people including my wife. Have a trainer but the issue is my bikes at work as it got dropped off there after the accident and I can't drive so can't get it home plus it needs fixing, gym is too far to walk as well so stuck till I can drive which wouldn't be an issue if I had an auto but my car has gears so can't change and steer with one hand.

2017-05-10 8:01 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by tomsimper I'm bored as the suns out and I keep seeing people running and riding and have to look jealously at them wishing I was doing what they are doing!

Is your doctor understanding about you wanting to be active?  Do you have a bike trainer?  If so, you might ask if he is OK with you using that.

I made sure the doctor and associates  knew I was very active and sitting still wasn't really a good option for long, so we figured out what would be best and how to go about it. Ellipticals came up pretty quick, but not use the the arm handles (which aren't great anyway). Rather, rest hands on the stationary handles. They really loved it when finding a recumbent was an option and did that for the first couple weeks. Everything was super easy here, mostly like a walking pace effort.

I'm trying to remember how bad your break was? Mine was shattered, which isn't just a break all the way through, but a bunch of pieces (16 for me) that had to regrow back together, so I had to be especially careful and it took longer than others have. I have no idea how a plate & screws did the job there. Likely why it was several months before I felt ok on an upright bike whereas others have come back sooner.

I did have multiple rounds of therapy exercises to do throughout the day, so that also had the added effect of helping tame that need to do something. That combined with getting ready for anything taking so long, plus needing to rest for a spell after everything, really helped with not being too bored. And as much as possible, tried to keep my mind more on where I was instead of how much I had lost or was losing. I would have gone nuts otherwise, just building upon what I had at the time. A lot of patiently going about my business, trusting that it things will come back.

How is your eating going? It was just mind blowing how much less I had to eat and still gained a notable amount of weight (holiday season didn't help there either). 3 "meals" a day was it and they were shrunk down to what was a snack before.

Wow that's a lot of pieces yours ended up in! Its in three pieces at the very top by the shoulder but doesn't look like I need surgery just wait it out, will have a lump on top of my shoulder as it stick ups for the ever but I was never a model in the first place so can cope with that. Eating may be an issue as seem to be eating everything in sight and will be the size of a house if I continue!
2017-05-10 8:55 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Pennsylvania

So sorry to read this, Tom.  Just try to be a patient patient even though it isn't easy.  Think of it as mental strength training

2017-05-10 9:26 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I ran across and interesting article about tracking a swim workout with a running watch (+ Connect IQ app).  This is for Garmin 230, 235, or 630.

https://www.sporttracks.mobi/blog/how-to-track-swims-with-a-running-watch

2017-05-10 9:42 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

UGH, I remember that feeling too -in fact, I've had it way too many times!! After my shoulder surgery it was about 5 weeks before I got the ok to run; I was still in the sling at times.  I could probably have gotten the ok  to do an easy spin on a trainer sooner-no touching the bars though.  I hope you get the okie dokie to do something soon!!   

2017-05-10 9:50 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Janyne's post about tracking a swim workout reminded me I wanted to ask the pod a question about loading a swim workout to your watch and then actually having success using it!

Last night I tried to use a workout I loaded to my 920.  The workout was on the watch and the first set went a-ok, but then things went screwy.  I planned the workout so that rests were based on hitting the lap button. For some reason this did not work out so well! I never use the lap button -just hit the stop start one for every pause in other workouts, so I'm sure i was doing something wrong when I then wanted to restart the workout.  

So, question for the pod- do you, or have you ever, uploaded a swim workout to your watch?  If so, how'd it go?  When you hit the lap button for the rest period, how do you let the watch know to move onto the next step? Hit lap again? Hit the stop/start?  

As I type this, I think I probably needed just to hit the lap button, but maybe not...

Technology has been hard for me the last week 

2017-05-10 10:21 AM
in reply to: amd723

Master
Northern IL

I'm still in the watches are blasphemy camp for swimming.

2017-05-10 10:40 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

haha! I use one because I'm trying to check any improvement and am an idiot when it comes to using the pool clock! Plus, being able to load my workout to the watch so I don't have to mess with my phone is a plus. Of course, if I keep hitt No the wrong button it's less of a plus

2017-05-10 10:54 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by tomsimper

He doesn't seem overly understanding of my need to start training again which I am sure is the case with most people including my wife. Have a trainer but the issue is my bikes at work as it got dropped off there after the accident and I can't drive so can't get it home plus it needs fixing, gym is too far to walk as well so stuck till I can drive which wouldn't be an issue if I had an auto but my car has gears so can't change and steer with one hand.

That's tough not being able to drive! Was it your left? This was one of the few things where right side turned out better for me. I was off work most of the first couple weeks (near Thanksgiving), and borrowed an automatic for the couple days I did go in. My car is manual, but fortunate with the route that I only really needed 2nd & 4th to get in. I could lean in well enough to get those without extending my arm out. Reverse was only from a stop, so could reach over with my left hand.

Curious about that need to start training though. It's very common to see posts about trying to salvage fitness while injured. But the thought is a bit misguided and is where many need to learn to stay out of their own way. With such a substantial injury, the number one thing (by a long shot) is to get better. That's not just avoiding hurting it again, but watching out for other stress. And that comes in multiple forms. I had to watch my left arm for awhile simply because stronger efforts could cross over to the other side even if the right was just hanging there. It's also with the amount of stress the body sees and is trying to recover from. I could put in loads of training stress on the recumbent or elliptical without directly stressing the hurt section, but that adds more stress that my body would have to recover from which can take a little away from how much is directed at the broken part. Especially so in the early going. This part was challenging and I had to drop off all notions of salvaging for some time. Basically everything was centered around the therapy and rehab work.

If they're not being helpful at all towards understanding what you can and can't do, then that is a problem of theirs. It does happen. But remember that some of the perspective is for you too. My doctor doesn't always say all these things up front as not everyone needs it, but when pressed before with a previous injury he did give a much more direct statement about needing to stop everything for a bit to let things regrow. I would risk tearing all the way through. Even though it's not what I wanted, that more direct line helped to cope for those couple weeks before starting any type of work. Similar for the more recent break. Nothing at all for a couple weeks except for the basic motions they prescribed. That meant no recumbent or elliptical either. Very limited walking around too. Do keep asking to make sure, but know that sometimes nothing at all is the best thing to do.

2017-05-10 12:18 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

haha! I use one because I'm trying to check any improvement and am an idiot when it comes to using the pool clock! Plus, being able to load my workout to the watch so I don't have to mess with my phone is a plus. Of course, if I keep hitt No the wrong button it's less of a plus

I would love to be able to load workouts in to my garmin! Especially if it would tell me what I'm supposed to be doing. Trying to read my routine in a poolside baggie on a dark morning is a PITA. And I agree that the pool clock is not helpful, and doesn't give the feed back to the coach.

Speaking of swimming and coaches... Training Peaks. Coach wanted me to do 1000 for time so after the warmup I reset my watch. But TP counts the warmup as the workout so it doesn't show it as completed because it was too short. Anyone have experience with this?

2017-05-10 12:55 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner

I would love to be able to load workouts in to my garmin! Especially if it would tell me what I'm supposed to be doing. Trying to read my routine in a poolside baggie on a dark morning is a PITA. And I agree that the pool clock is not helpful, and doesn't give the feed back to the coach.

Speaking of swimming and coaches... Training Peaks. Coach wanted me to do 1000 for time so after the warmup I reset my watch. But TP counts the warmup as the workout so it doesn't show it as completed because it was too short. Anyone have experience with this?

Which watch do you use?

I have not had the TP issue, sorry!

2017-05-10 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

TP will take the *first* workout of the type (swim, bike, run) as the one to use.  You can remove it by going into the workout TP and clicking Files in the top right.  Download and then Remove warmup file that's there.

Go into Garmin and download the the 1000 file (TCX) using the gear icon in the upper right.  Add the TCX file from Garmin to workout that you want to contain the 1000.

Upload the warmup file if you want "credit" for that one as well.

TL;DR

1. In TP, download and then remove the file that's there.
  2. In Garmin, download the TCX version of the 1000.
  3. In TP, add the 1000.tcx file to the workout
  4. Optional: In TP, upload  the warmup.tcx file.
2017-05-10 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Which watch do you use?

I have the 910XT

2017-05-10 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

TP will take the *first* workout of the type (swim, bike, run) as the one to use.  You can remove it by going into the workout TP and clicking Files in the top right.  Download and then Remove warmup file that's there.

Go into Garmin and download the the 1000 file (TCX) using the gear icon in the upper right.  Add the TCX file from Garmin to workout that you want to contain the 1000.

TL;DR

Thanks!

Hmmmm... that's a lot to go through to have my workout turn green

2017-05-10 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Janyne's post about tracking a swim workout reminded me I wanted to ask the pod a question about loading a swim workout to your watch and then actually having success using it!

Last night I tried to use a workout I loaded to my 920.  The workout was on the watch and the first set went a-ok, but then things went screwy.  I planned the workout so that rests were based on hitting the lap button. For some reason this did not work out so well! I never use the lap button -just hit the stop start one for every pause in other workouts, so I'm sure i was doing something wrong when I then wanted to restart the workout.  

So, question for the pod- do you, or have you ever, uploaded a swim workout to your watch?  If so, how'd it go?  When you hit the lap button for the rest period, how do you let the watch know to move onto the next step? Hit lap again? Hit the stop/start?  

As I type this, I think I probably needed just to hit the lap button, but maybe not...

I have not uploaded swim workout to my watch (I use the poolside baggie method), however, I do run workouts on my watch all the time and I have to it the lap button to go to the next step.

P.S. I do not use the workouts on the watch for outdoor cycling because (1) safety, want to start my intervals when it's safe to do so -- you know, AFTER the stop sign, etc. and (2) no autopause.  When running, I go early enough that traffic is generally not an issue!

2017-05-10 1:04 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

TL;DR

Thanks!

But green is good!

2017-05-10 1:09 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Which watch do you use?

I have the 910XT

I think that you are SOL.  I think that it was added for the 735XT and ported to the 920XT and the Fenix 3.

Garmin 920XT – Swim Workouts….Finally introduced alongside 735XT

Structured swim workouts – a first with the Garmin 735XT multisport watch.

2017-05-10 1:09 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

TL;DR

Thanks!

But green is good!

Right?! Not having it green is really bugging me! I suppose it'll only be an issue when he wants me testing for time, otherwise I don't restart.

2017-05-10 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Which watch do you use?

I have the 910XT

I think that you are SOL.  I think that it was added for the 735XT and ported to the 920XT and the Fenix 3.

Garmin 920XT – Swim Workouts….Finally introduced alongside 735XT

Structured swim workouts – a first with the Garmin 735XT multisport watch.

Good to know it's an option if the run gets more complicated.

2017-05-10 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I have not uploaded swim workout to my watch (I use the poolside baggie method), however, I do run workouts on my watch all the time and I have to it the lap button to go to the next step.

P.S. I do not use the workouts on the watch for outdoor cycling because (1) safety, want to start my intervals when it's safe to do so -- you know, AFTER the stop sign, etc. and (2) no autopause.  When running, I go early enough that traffic is generally not an issue!

I did my first run workup using an uploaded workout and it went from segment to segment without me having to do anything! But, the run and swim workouts are built differently, since there is no just stop and rest for x time on the run.

Good thought about not using the watch for your bike workouts!  

2017-05-10 1:24 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

TL;DR

Thanks!

But green is good!

Right?! Not having it green is really bugging me! I suppose it'll only be an issue when he wants me testing for time, otherwise I don't restart.

Maybe add your own "warmup" workout those days? You'd have to put in a time of day to get the warmup one to appear before the 1000 one.  Would that work? 

2017-05-10 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I did my first run workup using an uploaded workout and it went from segment to segment without me having to do anything! But, the run and swim workouts are built differently, since there is no just stop and rest for x time on the run.

Uh, you're right.   What I do is for my warmup, I usually do something lie "until I press the lap button" and then I do the 3 x5 @3 recovery or whatever and then for cool down, I do the "until I press the lap button" again.  Doh!

2017-05-10 1:48 PM

Master
Northern IL

Uh, you're right.   What I do is for my warmup, I usually do something lie "until I press the lap button" and then I do the 3 x5 @3 recovery or whatever and then for cool down, I do the "until I press the lap button" again.  Doh!

Has the programming become easier and have more options to put in? I hated it a few years ago, finding it simpler to just remember things. Also didn't like how rigid it was. Warm-up is done when I'm ready for it to be. Sometimes it's 10 minutes others need more than 20. The intervals and repetitions I've liked to start at very specific spots with rest intervals being more guidelines, particularly with the faster Repetitions. Short as they are, they still have a several minute window until the next (60" gets 2-4' of recovery). Seemingly small changes in pace make a notable difference in recovery time. Also watching for traffic or other things as these tend to loop in a tight section of roadway.

2017-05-10 4:30 PM

User image

Did anyone get the new 735XT? I have the 920XT and I love everything about it except for the HR strap. No matter how tight I make it, when I sweat it always seems to slip and I feel like I'm wearing a bra without the shoulder straps. For the record I've never worn or tried on a bra but for now it's the best analogy I can come up with . I definitely don't have plans to spend $500+ just for an inconvenience but I'd be interested to hear thoughts/opinions if any of you have taken the plunge.
2017-05-10 4:55 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by TXTriRook Did anyone get the new 735XT? I have the 920XT and I love everything about it except for the HR strap. No matter how tight I make it, when I sweat it always seems to slip and I feel like I'm wearing a bra without the shoulder straps. For the record I've never worn or tried on a bra but for now it's the best analogy I can come up with . I definitely don't have plans to spend $500+ just for an inconvenience but I'd be interested to hear thoughts/opinions if any of you have taken the plunge.

I agree that the HR strap is a pain! Before I started working with Coach I hadn't used it since... the last time I worked with him

I've heard the fitbit type watches aren't very accurate for HR but they sure are more comfortable! I have the 910XT. It works for what I need but it would be nice if I didn't feel like I have a wall clock on my wrist.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102