BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-05-10 6:01 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by TXTriRook Did anyone get the new 735XT? I have the 920XT and I love everything about it except for the HR strap. No matter how tight I make it, when I sweat it always seems to slip and I feel like I'm wearing a bra without the shoulder straps. For the record I've never worn or tried on a bra but for now it's the best analogy I can come up with . I definitely don't have plans to spend $500+ just for an inconvenience but I'd be interested to hear thoughts/opinions if any of you have taken the plunge.

I have a 920XT. I understand that the 935XT's optical heart rate is good for running but less good for biking, especially on not smooth surfaces. I suspect the same is true for the 735XT but I honestly don't recall.

2017-05-10 7:03 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by TXTriRook Did anyone get the new 735XT? I have the 920XT and I love everything about it except for the HR strap. No matter how tight I make it, when I sweat it always seems to slip and I feel like I'm wearing a bra without the shoulder straps. For the record I've never worn or tried on a bra but for now it's the best analogy I can come up with . I definitely don't have plans to spend $500+ just for an inconvenience but I'd be interested to hear thoughts/opinions if any of you have taken the plunge.

i think Stacey has the 735

2017-05-10 9:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by TXTriRook

Did anyone get the new 735XT? I have the 920XT and I love everything about it except for the HR strap. No matter how tight I make it, when I sweat it always seems to slip and I feel like I'm wearing a bra without the shoulder straps. For the record I've never worn or tried on a bra but for now it's the best analogy I can come up with . I definitely don't have plans to spend $500+ just for an inconvenience but I'd be interested to hear thoughts/opinions if any of you have taken the plunge.
I have a 735XT and I love it!

This year I am mainly running and the heart rate seems fairly accurate even in 100+ degree heat when I am sweating like a pig. My friend has a 235 which uses the same optical heart rate device. she had a medical stress test last year and out of curiosity she started her watch in run mode when she did it and then compared the watch heart rate to the heart rate print out from the medical test and it was within 2 or 3 bpm for the whole thing. The GPS is quick to find satellites and the cadence seems accurate as does the distance tracked on a treadmill run (different to my treadmill but seems more reasonable than what the treadmill says).

When I was swimming last year it tracked distance/laps very accurately once I worked out to just use the lap button for rest breaks and not the stop/start button. Obviously there is no optical HR in swim mode but if you really want it you can pair to a swim HR chest strap. I have never tried uploading a swim workout cause I have waterproof cards with my workouts on them and I just stick those to the side of the pool.

I haven't ridden my bike in 6 months but I don't recall there being any noticeable issues with the heart rate.

I have done a couple of tris with the watch and it was really easy to use and change between each leg and you can set it up to include transitions or not depending on your tracking preference.

I actually wear this watch 24/7 now, I don't have a huge wrist but the watch isn't too big, that's the main reason that I chose it. I had pretty much decided that it was what I was going to get once I "earned" it but then I was at a race expo and they had them at a super special price and it was too good a deal to walk away from. I got it at the end of August last year and it hasn't skipped a beat.

I think that at some point late last year amazon had them out on super special for around the $350US mark. I paid $500 Australian for mine and they normally retail here for about $700. I have seen them on sale at various bricks and mortar stores here for the $500 price regularly since I got mine so I'm sure if you were patient you would pick one up on a super special and save yourself some $$$

Edited to add if you are thinking full IM it might not be the right option depending on your time because I dont think that the battery in GPS mode would last 17 hours.

Edited by StaceyK 2017-05-10 9:14 PM
2017-05-11 4:25 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Someone...I think it is Polar, makes a "small" size chest strap that is meant for smaller women and kids. I ordered one when my old Polar monitor strap was constantly falling off (I'm on the small side in that dimension!). Even though I no longer use the Polar, it seems to work fine for the Garmin monitor that I use with my two Garmin's (FR 15 for running and Edge 520 for biking). It does, however, feel somewhat like the bottom of a slightly tight bra. Really nothing to be done about that if one wants to go the chest strap route, I guess. Curious about the optical monitors. I've had several of the older wrist-type monitors and just gave up on them. Rarely, if ever, gave me any useful data and had the habit of declaring me clinically dead for minutes at a time. I think I would notice if that happened. https://www.polar.com/us-en/products/accessories/Soft_strap I don't think the small is that small, though--mine fits and I'm about 33 inches at the chest.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-05-11 4:26 AM
2017-05-11 7:11 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

DC Rainmaker review of 735XT.

And the above graph completely summarizes my experience with the Elevate sensor while (riding) outdoors.  It’s perfectly fine if you’re doing relatively steady-state intensities (as most triathletes tend to do).  But if you’re doing sprints and and lots of short changes of intensity, then it’s not great.

Meanwhile, as I showed during running – it’s largely pretty good, but often struggles briefly at the beginning of runs, and in some cases at very high intensities.  Note that in all these cases I waited quite a bit at the start of a run prior to actually running, well past the point in which the sensor said it was locked/ready.

2017-05-11 8:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by jmkizer

I have a 920XT. I understand that the 935XT's optical heart rate is good for running but less good for biking, especially on not smooth surfaces. I suspect the same is true for the 735XT but I honestly don't recall.

I went from a 235 to a 920.  The 235 optical HR was starting to annoy me.  It would drop out during bike rides, and it wouldn't catch my HR during final run sprints.  The chest strap that came with the 920 actually works well for me, unlike any prior chest strap.  So I think I'm set for a long time with the 920.  I've had the 310, 910, 235, 920.

Edited by ponderingfox 2017-05-11 8:18 AM

2017-05-11 8:47 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Strap size of the product mentioned above is BEFORE you stretch it. The XS/S is 26 inches long at max length, unstretched, which should comfortably fit women up to at least 34 inch chest size. You can make this strap much smaller for kids and teens--another reason I got it besides my own stock strap falling off a lot. Sometimes my students would use one of my monitors to gather heart rate data for math/science experiments, and it is impossible to get a standard strap to fit any but the sturdiest of fifth graders, particularly here in Vietnam. (Thankfully, our school PE department now has a class set including a number of small-size straps.)
2017-05-11 8:54 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ponderingfox

I went from a 235 to a 920.  The 235 optical HR was starting to annoy me.  It would drop out during bike rides, and it wouldn't catch my HR during final run sprints.  The chest strap that came with the 920 actually works well for me, unlike any prior chest strap.  So I think I'm set for a long time with the 920.  I've had the 310, 910, 235, 920.

From looking shortly here, the optical does seem to be improving, but if heart rate really matters keep looking at a strap. Ray is rather pale in comparison to a number of us, and thinner & lighter hair where the sensor would be. Both of which negatively impact the optical. I'm all the way back on a 35 and don't really trust it that much, but am also putting less emphasis on HR than I used to. It's sort of ok at easier steady efforts, but is erratic at harder ones. Even longer ones that go 10-20 minutes or more. These can have several sections where it'll jump up (or down) and hold there for several minutes at a time.

I still have a Wahoo Fitness Ant+ hard strap from a few years ago. That thing has been amazing. It's still a strap, but it has both stayed in place and flexes well enough to be like a soft strap in that regard. Early model Polar ones were always falling down on me. Hardly ever had the static issues others did either. Only needed a slight amount of moisture at the start and would never see it. As opposed to the major soaking the soft straps needed, and could still see again later in a lighter effort workout.

2017-05-11 9:32 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Thanks all for the feedback! Hopefully I'll be at an expo in the near future where I can try it out and it's drastically on sale. I've got a few other things on my "tri to buy" list before a new watch but if I start running more which I plan on doing and it becomes more of a pain I may have to move it up on the list.

On another note, I finally finished my pain cave/garage setup yesterday and had a great ride. The main difference from an equipment standpoint is that I bought a CycleOps Riser Block which really made a difference. Now all I need is time to ride...
2017-05-11 9:46 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

From looking shortly here, the optical does seem to be improving, but if heart rate really matters keep looking at a strap. Ray is rather pale in comparison to a number of us, and thinner & lighter hair where the sensor would be. Both of which negatively impact the optical. I'm all the way back on a 35 and don't really trust it that much, but am also putting less emphasis on HR than I used to. It's sort of ok at easier steady efforts, but is erratic at harder ones. Even longer ones that go 10-20 minutes or more. These can have several sections where it'll jump up (or down) and hold there for several minutes at a time.

I still have a Wahoo Fitness Ant+ hard strap from a few years ago. That thing has been amazing. It's still a strap, but it has both stayed in place and flexes well enough to be like a soft strap in that regard. Early model Polar ones were always falling down on me. Hardly ever had the static issues others did either. Only needed a slight amount of moisture at the start and would never see it. As opposed to the major soaking the soft straps needed, and could still see again later in a lighter effort workout.

The thing is, if you are using power as your primary thing on the bike and heart rate as secondary, it might not matter too much.  And honestly, the HR strap doesn't chafe me on the bike, its' the run that produces that issue.

Good point about Ray's skin tone. He does mention that in most/all of his optical HR stuff - pale, hairless folks will have the best results.

As for HR straps, I've been using an off brand Polar-style one with good results.  I have to replace it yearly but that was true for the spendy ones too.

Heart Rate Monitor USA Replacement Soft Strap - $13.50 at Amazon, $12.50+shipping from Heart Rate Monitor USA

2017-05-11 10:45 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

Master
Northern IL

The thing is, if you are using power as your primary thing on the bike and heart rate as secondary, it might not matter too much.  And honestly, the HR strap doesn't chafe me on the bike, its' the run that produces that issue.

Good point about Ray's skin tone. He does mention that in most/all of his optical HR stuff - pale, hairless folks will have the best results.

As for HR straps, I've been using an off brand Polar-style one with good results.  I have to replace it yearly but that was true for the spendy ones too.

Heart Rate Monitor USA Replacement Soft Strap - $13.50 at Amazon, $12.50+shipping from Heart Rate Monitor USA

On the bike I use a bike computer as I don't want to wear a watch, so optical inaccuracies don't matter, but if a strap did those same things it would still be an issue for my purposes. Off-road has never had power. In both situations, I'll try for RPE and then HR for a little more shorter and longer term summation or averaging. Road riding will also have power to help with both. Decisions will incorporate all available data. Right now with running HR is only collected in the background. I left it off the data screens and only look at it during post run analysis. RPE developed fairly well with all the bike work the past couple years and seems to carry over.

With less accurate HR data, it's harder to spot things like fitness trends or know as well how things were executed as the plot won't have a reliable curve to it. My area isn't terribly hilly, but it's also not super flat either with numerous small rolling hills that are always breaking things up. Several runs per week will have 50 ft/mile in there (8 miles will have ~400 ft of gain). Found my average for the entire year (every run included) was 29.3 ft/mi. HR helps to normalize out the ups and downs to make sure effort is still going ok. It's been atrocious for harder work, so a little hoping for the best with RPE & pacing there as it's better to ignore it than try figuring something out of that mess. Bad data can be worse than none by leading to false conclusions.

I never had chafing issues with any strap, just the thing staying in place for some types. Definitely not on the bike, but also for the run. Probably shouldn't speculate with some notable difference between people in that area though.

What's happening with the strap replacement? Just stretching out too much? I haven't had to replace mine yet (different type with the hard strap) and wonder if the right type will still be made at that point!

2017-05-11 1:24 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Smithtown, New York
Today when I began my run I was still feeling a bit sore from Mondays 6.7 mile long run, the longest since Ironman Lake Placid '12. For the first time in the year since I began school I was finally able to relax. I ran through that first mile nice and easy, a little faster than usual. Just as I finished it I hopped onto my bike. As I began pedaling I felt all my troubles, the stresses of school, job hunting and all my other negative thoughts simply wash away. I haven't been in such a zone since training for Lake Placid all those years ago. It may have been five years but that was an eternity ago.

I'm a much different person now than I used to be. As i sit here typing I remember how when I came out I thought I had a world of opportunity but little did I know that I would enter into, what I mildly put it, a world of suck. I developed many problems I doubt I'll ever be comfortable enough to confront but that was the past. Right now, today I have a loving girlfriend who has not only supported me through everything since we met two years ago but is my partner in crime. We run and bike together every weekend, encouraging and pushing each other to be not only better athletes but better people.

As I continue pedaling through my ride getting ready for this weekends duathlon, nothing I've done before matters to me anymore. All I am concerned about is the effort I put into my training and all the fun this journey has now become. I feel the cool spring air and the warmth in my legs as I tuck down cutting through the wind. I tuck in lower picking up as much speed as I can down the hills and sail right up every hill I need to tackle. I cruise comfortably strong along the flats and false flats, my bike is simply an extension of my body. A little over an hour after I started I slip my cycling shoes off and hop off the bike feeling like I'm one of those great ITU athletes. As quickly as I'm back home I am back out on my second mile. My legs feel light despite the slight soreness in them and I just run completely at peace. Nine minutes later I finally finished, happy that I'm finally creating a good opportunity for myself. All I can say now is Mighty Hamptons here I come!
2017-05-11 4:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by brigby1

Before the 235 I had good success with the Mio Link optical HR.  It did better for me than the 235.

2017-05-11 9:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jmkizerGood point about Ray's skin tone. He does mention that in most/all of his optical HR stuff - pale, hairless folks will have the best results

This is probably why it works ok for me, I have very pale (almost translucent skin) and not much hair on my arms. Also to be honest I don't pay that much attention to my HR, never really have and don't think that I ever really will and I am more of a steady state kind of person rather than intervals and the like. The only real reason that I got a new watch was because my old Timex Ironman died and I wanted something that I could use for everything including races and that had GPS.
2017-05-12 5:20 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Guessing maybe I am too dark for those optical monitors. "Pale" and "translucent" do not describe my skin tone, especially when living in the tropics. Sounds like kind of a racist technology if it only works with pale white people! I will stick to my kid-sized chest strap, I guess.
2017-05-12 8:12 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by jmkizerGood point about Ray's skin tone. He does mention that in most/all of his optical HR stuff - pale, hairless folks will have the best results
This is probably why it works ok for me, I have very pale (almost translucent skin) and not much hair on my arms. Also to be honest I don't pay that much attention to my HR, never really have and don't think that I ever really will and I am more of a steady state kind of person rather than intervals and the like. The only real reason that I got a new watch was because my old Timex Ironman died and I wanted something that I could use for everything including races and that had GPS.

sounds like if I wanted to train by HR, I would have no trouble with an optical monitor! You'd never know I lived in Florida!! But, I don't ; so it's a moot point regarding being a "steady state" person, there is nothing inherently wrong with it, but you will see much greater improvement if you get out of that gray zone from time to time! Try to do a run a week that has some accelerations or pick ups, push yourself. Start easy, but as you gain more fitness the accelerations can be faster and longer. There are other things to do to get out of the gray zone, but th is easy and affective.  Again, you don't have to do this, but I think you'll be surprised at your improvement by breaking out a bit!

2017-05-12 8:14 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Guessing maybe I am too dark for those optical monitors. "Pale" and "translucent" do not describe my skin tone, especially when living in the tropics. Sounds like kind of a racist technology if it only works with pale white people! I will stick to my kid-sized chest strap, I guess.

Me neither.  I have "Italian grandmother" coloring and the hair to go with it!

2017-05-12 8:16 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

sounds like if I wanted to train by HR, I would have no trouble with an optical monitor! You'd never know I lived in Florida!! But, I don't ; so it's a moot point regarding being a "steady state" person, there is nothing inherently wrong with it, but you will see much greater improvement if you get out of that gray zone from time to time! Try to do a run a week that has some accelerations or pick ups, push yourself. Start easy, but as you gain more fitness the accelerations can be faster and longer. There are other things to do to get out of the gray zone, but th is easy and affective.  Again, you don't have to do this, but I think you'll be surprised at your improvement by breaking out a bit!

Sometimes Jackie says to "be brave" and push outside where you think you can run.

2017-05-12 8:26 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by amd723

Amongst faster circles, "steady state" can mean what would equate to about 10k effort for many in the pod.

For faster work, some basic strides can be a good way to start off. These are good for basically everyone at pretty much any point of their running since they aren't "hard" and can help with running economy.

And even with all the running I've been doing this year, the amount that's actually hard has been up to about 30' a week spread over 2 of the runs.

ETA: Even if one isn't that interested in trying to run much faster, better economy will also help with running smoother. So lesser impact and (hopefully) lesser sore spots & injury.

Edited by brigby1 2017-05-12 8:39 AM
2017-05-12 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

May 13-14
Chris - Holly Morgan Fisher Memorial 5k XC run on Sunday
Tom A - Coffman Sprint Tri on Sunday

Disabled List

Tom S. and Markus are continuing their recovery.

May 16 is Yanti's birthday
May 17 is Dave L's birthday

2017-05-12 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

May 13-14

Disabled List

Happy racing Chris and Tom! Continued healing Tom S and Markus.  Happy early bdays Yanti and Dave L!!  

2017-05-12 2:42 PM
in reply to: Rileyvb91

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Rileyvb91 Today when I began my run I was still feeling a bit sore from Mondays 6.7 mile long run, the longest since Ironman Lake Placid '12. For the first time in the year since I began school I was finally able to relax. I ran through that first mile nice and easy, a little faster than usual. Just as I finished it I hopped onto my bike. As I began pedaling I felt all my troubles, the stresses of school, job hunting and all my other negative thoughts simply wash away. I haven't been in such a zone since training for Lake Placid all those years ago. It may have been five years but that was an eternity ago. I'm a much different person now than I used to be. As i sit here typing I remember how when I came out I thought I had a world of opportunity but little did I know that I would enter into, what I mildly put it, a world of suck. I developed many problems I doubt I'll ever be comfortable enough to confront but that was the past. Right now, today I have a loving girlfriend who has not only supported me through everything since we met two years ago but is my partner in crime. We run and bike together every weekend, encouraging and pushing each other to be not only better athletes but better people. As I continue pedaling through my ride getting ready for this weekends duathlon, nothing I've done before matters to me anymore. All I am concerned about is the effort I put into my training and all the fun this journey has now become. I feel the cool spring air and the warmth in my legs as I tuck down cutting through the wind. I tuck in lower picking up as much speed as I can down the hills and sail right up every hill I need to tackle. I cruise comfortably strong along the flats and false flats, my bike is simply an extension of my body. A little over an hour after I started I slip my cycling shoes off and hop off the bike feeling like I'm one of those great ITU athletes. As quickly as I'm back home I am back out on my second mile. My legs feel light despite the slight soreness in them and I just run completely at peace. Nine minutes later I finally finished, happy that I'm finally creating a good opportunity for myself. All I can say now is Mighty Hamptons here I come!

So much to love about your post, but you know that.  Keep up the training and the happiness and the enjoyment of where you are and who you are. Thanks for the smile, I needed that on this hectic Friday I'm having!

2017-05-12 2:43 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

May 13-14

Disabled List

Be speedy, racers!  Have fun and be safe out there.

DLers - rest, heal, be patient.

Happy early birthday to Yanti and Dave in case I forget!

2017-05-12 2:52 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

I've had to switch to a different HR monitor.  Certain compounds/plastics cause my skin to react in a not nice way.  Fitbit - wear it a day have a rash for a week.  Ditto with the Garmin chest strap (and unfortunately the cheapie Janyne recommended - it has a material on it that bugs my skin, too).  No, it's not because it's dirty.  I've fully washed and sanitized the Fitbit and the strap many times over with no result.  It's only the plastic part that causes the rash, the fabric part is fine.

I now use a Scosche optical HR monitor on my inner upper arm that has a cloth strap and no plastic, so far so good.  DC Rainmaker gave it high regards with respect to accuracy and from what I've experienced so far I agree.  Granted I have very European skin (burn easy, not a lot of hair) so that may be helping the results.  I have a 920XT and love it although the new 935 looks like a nice upgrade!

2017-05-12 3:53 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I almost feel guilty checking in, I am on here so infrequently. My schedule is interesting now as I am settling in to working 12hr shifts. I am happy to be able to take advantage of the onsite gym so I can still at least get in a quick run over "lunch" which can be at 12am or 12pm. I also have a few more days off but the new house projects and taking care of some neglected maintenance keeps me busy too. Otherwise things are good, runs along the beach trail, offroad trails for MTB or running less than 5min away and a 10minute walk to the lake should be good for swimming once it warms up.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102