BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-06-06 11:32 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by TXTriRook Congrats on the successful races everyone! I guess we're in the thick of race season. Seems like (almost) everyone on here is kicking and taking names. Quick question for those of you that do most of your bike training on a trainer (like me). What, if anything, do you do to your bike after you ride? I ride in my garage (in TX) which tends to get very hot and although I have a fan on while I ride, most of the time when I'm finished it looks like someone took a super soaker to me, my bike and the floor. I normally keep my fan pointed at my bike for at least an hour after I finish to help it dry off but doing a thorough cleaning after every ride just isn't in the cards. After all, I ride indoors to save time....not for the scenery.

First, congrats racers!  Some tough conditions..  Well done!

As for indoors riding, effectively all my "riding" is now indoors, as well (too many pickup trucks in TX, as I've said many times).  I sweat like the proverbial porker, and here's what I do. 

I have three fans going - a small one to either circulate air out of the pain cave or pointed at my legs (if I have to close to door to keep it quiet when I ride before anyone's up), an oscillating fan I lock and point at my torso and a ceiling fan.  Those help a ton.  I have a sweat catcher that goes over the stem and top tube (loops around the seat and velcros over the bar) - have to wash that every month or so.  I have a hand towel that I keep on the bars.  I have a towel under the bike.  The towel (and bike, of course) are on a trainer mat.

Sometimes on a long session, even with all that, the sweat will go beyond the towel and threaten to spill off the mat.  That's about when I need to refill my water bottles anyway, so I take a quick couple minutes, wring out the towel and hand towel and tank up the bottles.

As for the bike, the sweat catcher keeps the salt off most of the bike and I seem to sweat around it more than on it.  I'll wipe down with a handi wipe every half dozen rides and lube the chain as if I were riding outside (every few rides, although I've been remiss of late), as that does get some sweat on it and I want it to stay smooth. 

That, and I replace the screw in the stem once or twice a year! 

Matt

2017-06-06 1:13 PM
in reply to: bmarsh8386

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by bmarsh8386 You got the right Barbara Victoria 70.3 is a beautiful race. Weather was perfect. A little warm at the end but overall I can't complain. 11pm the night before we left for Victoria I got a text from the Victoria Clipper saying they were taking a smaller boat and would need 30 people to give up their seats...panic! Fortunately we made it on the boat. Check in went smoothly and we were able to drive the bike course. They described it as rolling hills but if you life in a hilly area it is pretty flat up until the last 10 miles. Saturday was the Iron Kids race. I think that is my favorite part. My 5 year old was having trouble with the metric so she is convinced she ran 1.5miles instead of 1.5K She said at the end she really "picked it up a notch" and advised that I do the same tomorrow The swim is in a fairly shallow lake so it was one of the warmer swims. I didn't sight as well as I would have liked and got stuck in a few packs so my time wasn't as fast as it should have been. I was happy with the bike. Biking is my weakness and what I focused the most on. It was a beautiful course but none of it was closed to traffic. I had a few places where I had to slow down because I couldn't get past a car and cars definitely got too close for comfort. The run was a trail run around a lake. Very beautiful although I was nervous running on a trail with such tired legs. There were quite a few rocks and roots. My friend fell and gashed her knee and I saw quite a few other people take falls. I under trained for the run and it shows but I did keep my pace steady rather than dying at the end. Already thinking about what to do next. I think I may try to get an Oly in July or August. Thanks everyone for all the well wishes! Barbara

Great job out there, Barbara!  I'm glad things worked out with the boat and that your 5 year old had such a good race and was able to pass race advice along to you as well.

2017-06-06 2:04 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by TXTriRook Congrats on the successful races everyone! I guess we're in the thick of race season. Seems like (almost) everyone on here is kicking and taking names. Quick question for those of you that do most of your bike training on a trainer (like me). What, if anything, do you do to your bike after you ride? I ride in my garage (in TX) which tends to get very hot and although I have a fan on while I ride, most of the time when I'm finished it looks like someone took a super soaker to me, my bike and the floor. I normally keep my fan pointed at my bike for at least an hour after I finish to help it dry off but doing a thorough cleaning after every ride just isn't in the cards. After all, I ride indoors to save time....not for the scenery.

As for indoors riding, effectively all my "riding" is now indoors, as well (too many pickup trucks in TX, as I've said many times).  I sweat like the proverbial porker, and here's what I do. 

I have three fans going - a small one to either circulate air out of the pain cave or pointed at my legs (if I have to close to door to keep it quiet when I ride before anyone's up), an oscillating fan I lock and point at my torso and a ceiling fan.  Those help a ton.  I have a sweat catcher that goes over the stem and top tube (loops around the seat and velcros over the bar) - have to wash that every month or so.  I have a hand towel that I keep on the bars.  I have a towel under the bike.  The towel (and bike, of course) are on a trainer mat.

Sometimes on a long session, even with all that, the sweat will go beyond the towel and threaten to spill off the mat.  That's about when I need to refill my water bottles anyway, so I take a quick couple minutes, wring out the towel and hand towel and tank up the bottles.

As for the bike, the sweat catcher keeps the salt off most of the bike and I seem to sweat around it more than on it.  I'll wipe down with a handi wipe every half dozen rides and lube the chain as if I were riding outside (every few rides, although I've been remiss of late), as that does get some sweat on it and I want it to stay smooth. 

Matt

I've had fairly significant pools on the mat before, but can't remember it threatening to run off! Maybe it was evaporating better without a towel. Did also have a good cooling setup as the fan blew back and to the main set of stairs. All the heat would go right up.

2017-06-06 2:16 PM
in reply to: bmarsh8386

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by bmarsh8386 You got the right Barbara Victoria 70.3 is a beautiful race. Weather was perfect. A little warm at the end but overall I can't complain. 11pm the night before we left for Victoria I got a text from the Victoria Clipper saying they were taking a smaller boat and would need 30 people to give up their seats...panic! Fortunately we made it on the boat. Check in went smoothly and we were able to drive the bike course. They described it as rolling hills but if you life in a hilly area it is pretty flat up until the last 10 miles. Saturday was the Iron Kids race. I think that is my favorite part. My 5 year old was having trouble with the metric so she is convinced she ran 1.5miles instead of 1.5K She said at the end she really "picked it up a notch" and advised that I do the same tomorrow The swim is in a fairly shallow lake so it was one of the warmer swims. I didn't sight as well as I would have liked and got stuck in a few packs so my time wasn't as fast as it should have been. I was happy with the bike. Biking is my weakness and what I focused the most on. It was a beautiful course but none of it was closed to traffic. I had a few places where I had to slow down because I couldn't get past a car and cars definitely got too close for comfort. The run was a trail run around a lake. Very beautiful although I was nervous running on a trail with such tired legs. There were quite a few rocks and roots. My friend fell and gashed her knee and I saw quite a few other people take falls. I under trained for the run and it shows but I did keep my pace steady rather than dying at the end. Already thinking about what to do next. I think I may try to get an Oly in July or August. Thanks everyone for all the well wishes! Barbara

congrats, sounds like a fun race! I think it's great that your daughter did the iron kids race and, especiall, picked it up a notch! Congratulations to her too!

2017-06-06 6:56 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Blanda Hope everyone had or is having a great race!!! I've done nothing for the past 3 days. A rest streak!! I actually packed my swimming gear. I'm gonna get a swim, by golly. I'm having asthmatic issues though. It may just be a short dip to warn my body of what's going back on the menu, and remind it how to do it. Hope you're all having super weekends!

Did you get your swim in?

I did NOT swim, BUT only because we had an offer to bring our children to a fire station tour!!

Congratulations, racers!!

Adam, way to soldier through with the discomfort!

Kirsten, awesome race results in a tough race!

Way to go, Barbara! Trail running can be kind of nerve wrecking, for sure. Glad you didn't take a tumble.

Got a run in yesterday, and some supplementary cardio training playing soccer. Oh, swimming...

Have a good night!
2017-06-07 12:57 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Shocked myself by swimming again last night and having fun doing it.  Who knew?

Shoulder is in one piece, as well - a little sore, but more the kind you can work through rather than work around, if that makes sense.

I still can't tell if I want to go back into crazy tri-mode, but next year I'll age up and be a whippersnapper in my group. 

Matt

2017-06-07 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Shoulder is in one piece, as well - a little sore, but more the kind you can work through rather than work around, if that makes sense.

I still can't tell if I want to go back into crazy tri-mode, but next year I'll age up and be a whippersnapper in my group. 

Matt

I'm glad that the shoulder is showing a bit of improvement!

Blanda, take note! Matt has a complainy shoulder and he managed to go swimming

2017-06-07 1:40 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Matt

I agree with Janyne - even on the taunting bit!!

2017-06-07 1:42 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Matt

Hey! I'm pretty sure that Blanda said something about accountability.  Besides, it's the Manatee way!

2017-06-07 2:20 PM

User image

Matt

Thanks for the feedback! That's a whole lotta towels and fans! I did buy the sweat catcher that goes from the seat to the bars and I also find it does a pretty good job of deflecting the sweat to the floor. I plan on taking my bike in for a tune up before my next race and hopefully there's no rust or anything really wrong from all my trainer miles. In the meantime, I plan on picking up another fan or 2. We're getting close to summer here in TX....
2017-06-07 6:43 PM

User image

Master

Matt

Hey! I'm pretty sure that Blanda said something about accountability.  Besides, it's the Manatee way!

Hahaha! Straight up called out! Love it!

2017-06-07 6:58 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Blanda

Matt

Wow, that is some welcome right there! I guess you truly are a Manatee now.

I swam home today. Hands will know what I mean.

2017-06-08 7:56 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Hi everyone, I hope you are all doing great.

I'm wondering if you could do a favour for me? One of our teachers is doing an experiment with her year 1 and 2 class (6 and 7 year olds) to show how Facebook post spread. If you are a FB friend of mine can you please log in and comment on this post including what state/country you live in. Thanks heaps
2017-06-08 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by Blanda

Matt

Wow, that is some welcome right there! I guess you truly are a Manatee now.

I swam home today. Hands will know what I mean.

I am over the constant rain! We need our normal late afternoon/early evening rain hard for 20 minutes and then be clear schedule!

2017-06-08 9:38 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Smithtown, New York
Hey everyone, I haven't been active in awhile and I want to let everyone know I'm doing pretty good. Training has been keeping my mind pretty steady and I've been getting pretty good. Had some great races in the past month and the years first tri a week ago! I biked and ran myself into 12th place!

Right now I'm looking for a good flavorless drink powder to mix in with my cliff drink mix, anymore than one scoop is a little strong for me. Does anyone have any good recommendations? Btw the only hammer products that sit well with me are their gels, I've had less than desirable results with their powders in the past
2017-06-09 12:16 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I haz shame . The rack monster won this morning. I had a 70 lap swim on the schedule but when 0500 rolled around I was just too tired and that sounded like a really long swim. In my defense, I was up in the middle of the night with a panic call from DS1. DH arrives in town this afternoon so the swim won't happen tonight unless I decide to take off from work early.

2017-06-09 1:04 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi everyone, I hope you are all doing great. I'm wondering if you could do a favour for me? One of our teachers is doing an experiment with her year 1 and 2 class (6 and 7 year olds) to show how Facebook post spread. If you are a FB friend of mine can you please log in and comment on this post including what state/country you live in. Thanks heaps

Done!

2017-06-09 1:06 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

Master
Northern IL

At the moment, I honestly can't tell if that 70 laps was 1,750 yds or 7,000 meters.

2017-06-09 1:10 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

June 10-11
Anne - TOMRV 2-day ride
Janyne - TSS Ride for Life
Socks - Grand Rapids half iron aqua bike on Sunday

Does anyone else have races or events this weekend?

Disabled List
Yanti - pneumonia
Tom S. - shoulder
Mike - Back
Stacey - under the weather

2017-06-09 1:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by brigby1

At the moment, I honestly can't tell if that 70 laps was 1,750 yds or 7,000 meters.

I don't know if my pool is yards or meters but I'm assuming yards 70 X 50 = 3500 yards

ETA: might get it in after all, DH is delayed

Edited by rrrunner 2017-06-09 1:14 PM
2017-06-09 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

I don't know if my pool is yards or meters but I'm assuming yards 70 X 50 = 3500 yards

Better text coach to see if he means 1750 or 3500!

2017-06-09 1:28 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Nah, I know a lap is round trip

2017-06-09 1:31 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

OK. I just thought that it might have seemed longer than you expected in which case clarifying that you and Coach mean the same thing might be worthwhile.

2017-06-09 1:39 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

OK. I just thought that it might have seemed longer than you expected in which case clarifying that you and Coach mean the same thing might be worthwhile.

I say avoid it altogether. I bet Blanda agrees with me.

2017-06-09 1:49 PM

Master
Northern IL

With me it's been stuck in forever that lap = length. It's only since I got on message boards with other triathletes that the notion of down & back came in.

And just for those wondering, the 7,000 would have been for a Long Course Meters (LCM) pool. That would definitely be a long swim!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102