BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-06-09 2:32 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by rrrunner

I haz shame . The rack monster won this morning. I had a 70 lap swim on the schedule but when 0500 rolled around I was just too tired and that sounded like a really long swim. In my defense, I was up in the middle of the night with a panic call from DS1. DH arrives in town this afternoon so the swim won't happen tonight unless I decide to take off from work early.

We can start a new Manatee confessions discussion group on strava!

2017-06-09 2:33 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

June 10-11
Anne - TOMRV 2-day ride
Janyne - TSS Ride for Life
Socks - Grand Rapids half iron aqua bike on Sunday

Does anyone else have races or events this weekend?

Disabled List
Yanti - pneumonia
Tom S. - shoulder
Mike - Back
Stacey - under the weather

Have great races/rides Manatees!

The DL is longer than the race list again -ugh!

Heal up, feel better all!

2017-06-09 2:54 PM

User image

Chicago, Illinois

Racing Manatees!!!

June 10-11
Anne - TOMRV 2-day ride

Disabled List
Yanti - pneumonia
Tom S. - shoulder
Mike - Back

Good luck Racers, I will be doing the Ideal Beach Short Sprint on Saturday, but more importantly my wife is doing her first tri in about 6 years, after 5 knee surgeries, and having a baby in September. I have been following the thread, but I have not been good about posting. I need to work on that.
2017-06-09 2:57 PM

Master
Northern IL

Racing Manatees!!!

June 10-11
Anne - TOMRV 2-day ride

Disabled List
Yanti - pneumonia
Tom S. - shoulder
Mike - Back

TOMRV has looked nice, but it's never quite worked out to do it.

2017-06-09 3:24 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Smithtown, New York
I don't post too often but can I ask what happened to BT? Back 5-8 year ago when I was on this was a super active and great site, met some real life friends but now when I post no one responds, this site is bunked. Are there any good triathlon facebook groups that could serve better?
2017-06-09 3:27 PM
in reply to: Rileyvb91

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Rileyvb91 I don't post too often but can I ask what happened to BT? Back 5-8 year ago when I was on this was a super active and great site, met some real life friends but now when I post no one responds, this site is bunked. Are there any good triathlon facebook groups that could serve better?

Some people blame the redo of the site for the fall off, others blame the mentor groups(especially this one), others blame people being banned etc.  But, yes, the site is no where near as active as it once was.  I can't tell you of any FB sites cuz I don't know any, but slowtwitch is active.

2017-06-09 3:39 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Rileyvb91 I don't post too often but can I ask what happened to BT? Back 5-8 year ago when I was on this was a super active and great site, met some real life friends but now when I post no one responds, this site is bunked. Are there any good triathlon facebook groups that could serve better?

Some people blame the redo of the site for the fall off, others blame the mentor groups(especially this one), others blame people being banned etc.  But, yes, the site is no where near as active as it once was.  I can't tell you of any FB sites cuz I don't know any, but slowtwitch is active.

I blame Trump.

2017-06-09 3:47 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IronOx

I blame Trump.

lol!

2017-06-09 3:48 PM

User image

Master

Racing Manatees!!!

June 10-11
Anne - TOMRV 2-day ride

Disabled List
Yanti - pneumonia
Tom S. - shoulder
Mike - Back

Good luck racers!  DL'ers get better.

2017-06-09 4:30 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

June 10-11
Anne - TOMRV 2-day ride

Disabled List
Yanti - pneumonia
Tom S. - shoulder
Mike - Back

Nooooooo, the DL list is longer than the racer list!  Heal up, DLers, and get off the list!  Race fast, race safely, and have fun, competing manatees!

2017-06-09 6:36 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
RE the "70-lap" swim--maybe Yanti remembers this. Once I did a swim at an unfamiliar pool in Singapore and I just kind of assumed it was 25m. I did a 1500m continuous swim and at the time was thinking, "This seems to be taking a long time." But I didn't look at my watch while I swam and figured it was just because I was bored or something. (I don't usually swim that long continuously in a pool.) Then I got out and looked at the time and it was something truly hideous (for me, for 1500m) like 53 minutes. I just chalked it up to just getting over a cold and missing some swims over the previous week, and major air pollution that day. I actually was in the locker room taking a shower before realizing that it was 3000m, not 1500m. It was a 50m pool!

2017-06-10 6:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

June 10-11
Anne - TOMRV 2-day ride

Disabled List
Yanti - pneumonia
Tom S. - shoulder
Mike - Back

Go Anne, Janine and Socks. I hope you all have a great time.

I went to the Dr yesterday cause my cough isn't getting any better and I started having some pain in my back and chest. Thankfully not pneumonia but an infection that the Dr suggested would have become that if I had left it much longer. She says it should be all well and truely sorted in time for the marathon in 3 weeks time.

But now I have a dilemma, according to my training plan I was supposed to run 32k today before tapering. Should I do 32k next weekend? There would still be 2 full weeks until the marathon and the antibiotics should have kicked in.

What do you think?
2017-06-10 7:50 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
See how you feel then. Personally, I probably wouldn't--would do a shorter run. You wouldn't want to over-stress a system that's already stressed from illness and come down with another bug before the race. Plus antibiotics can mess with the gut and that might cause issues on a long run.

My general rule of thumb is that I won't train at all until I feel normal doing other things (job, housework, errands), and won't do any longer or harder workouts until I feel good doing shorter, easier ones (30-45 minutes, HR in Z1 or low Z2). It usually takes me about a week after starting antibiotics to really feel like resuming easier workouts. Sometimes sooner for strength stuff without much cardio demand. But I have asthma that gets much worse when I'm sick--that tends to prolong recovery from respiratory bugs. For several days after I'm no longer coughing or feeling ill, I'll start wheezing when I swim, bike, or run, especially if I pick up the intensity. Not sure if it affects others that way.
2017-06-10 10:19 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK

Racing Manatees!!!

June 10-11
Anne - TOMRV 2-day ride

Disabled List
Yanti - pneumonia
Tom S. - shoulder
Mike - Back

Go Anne, Janine and Socks. I hope you all have a great time. I went to the Dr yesterday cause my cough isn't getting any better and I started having some pain in my back and chest. Thankfully not pneumonia but an infection that the Dr suggested would have become that if I had left it much longer. She says it should be all well and truely sorted in time for the marathon in 3 weeks time. But now I have a dilemma, according to my training plan I was supposed to run 32k today before tapering. Should I do 32k next weekend? There would still be 2 full weeks until the marathon and the antibiotics should have kicked in. What do you think?

A 2 week taper is fine, but as Karen says it really depends upon how you are feeling. If you are still feeling worn out and struggling through other workouts, I wouldn't do the long run.just listen to your body and don't stress if you don't get it done, the extra rest will probably do you good!

2017-06-11 9:52 PM

Master
Northern IL

Riley, looks like you found Fred's group, and that is a good one. There are some newer people in there, but some have been expert both here on BT and over on ST. The knowledge in there can be quite remarkable.

As for this site, it's all that stuff coming at about the same time. Never really recovered, though I think most everything except ST has suffered as much. Maybe more. So it's not just here. 

2017-06-11 9:55 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Hot Runner See how you feel then. Personally, I probably wouldn't--would do a shorter run. You wouldn't want to over-stress a system that's already stressed from illness and come down with another bug before the race. Plus antibiotics can mess with the gut and that might cause issues on a long run. My general rule of thumb is that I won't train at all until I feel normal doing other things (job, housework, errands), and won't do any longer or harder workouts until I feel good doing shorter, easier ones (30-45 minutes, HR in Z1 or low Z2). It usually takes me about a week after starting antibiotics to really feel like resuming easier workouts. Sometimes sooner for strength stuff without much cardio demand. But I have asthma that gets much worse when I'm sick--that tends to prolong recovery from respiratory bugs. For several days after I'm no longer coughing or feeling ill, I'll start wheezing when I swim, bike, or run, especially if I pick up the intensity. Not sure if it affects others that way.

Yeah, that mindset is how I approach it too. Get better first and then build back up from where you're at instead of trying to simply jump back in at some point. Sometimes it's pretty quick, sometimes it's not. Always need to go by how you're doing at the time.

2017-06-11 11:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by brigby1

At the moment, I honestly can't tell if that 70 laps was 1,750 yds or 7,000 meters.

I don't know if my pool is yards or meters but I'm assuming yards 70 X 50 = 3500 yards

ETA: might get it in after all, DH is delayed

Better text coach to see if he means 1750 or 3500!

Nah, I know a lap is round trip

OK. I just thought that it might have seemed longer than you expected in which case clarifying that you and Coach mean the same thing might be worthwhile.

I say avoid it altogether. I bet Blanda agrees with me.

Hey, I saw that! Hahahaha!

So yeah, the bathing suit in my bag has yet to be used.

Hope all the racers had great races! Can't wait to read about it!

Sunday we had a mountain biking Black Jack Rally. Good fun. I'm terrible with cards, so I didn't get the lucky ones. I did win bike gloves from a raffle drawing, yay! Let's see if I PR in losing one hand on these like I've done with almost all the others!

It's still early in the afternoon. Let's see if my suit gets wet.

Edited by Blanda 2017-06-11 11:09 PM
2017-06-12 11:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Checking in! I participated (not raced) in a 5K Saturday and walked it with my Mom. It was a great time at a company-sponsored event, about 1,000 employees and family/friends. Not worthy of the racing list though

The big cross country move is this week, and I've been furiously organizing and scheduling ALL THE THINGS. Household goods movers, vehicle shipping, vehicle rentals, selling furniture, buying furniture, stopping/starting utilities, planning the huge road trip, signing a lease for housing, closing on my home, and not to mention I'm supposed to be learning a new job. My new boss has been amazing though, and told me to just focus on getting settled in this month. Zero pressure for the job, but I want to make a good impression so trying to balance everything out. 

Hope everyone has a great week! 

Edited by lisac957 2017-06-12 11:01 AM
2017-06-12 4:51 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by lisac957

Checking in! I participated (not raced) in a 5K Saturday and walked it with my Mom. It was a great time at a company-sponsored event, about 1,000 employees and family/friends. Not worthy of the racing list though

The big cross country move is this week, and I've been furiously organizing and scheduling ALL THE THINGS. Household goods movers, vehicle shipping, vehicle rentals, selling furniture, buying furniture, stopping/starting utilities, planning the huge road trip, signing a lease for housing, closing on my home, and not to mention I'm supposed to be learning a new job. My new boss has been amazing though, and told me to just focus on getting settled in this month. Zero pressure for the job, but I want to make a good impression so trying to balance everything out. 

Wow Lisa an amazingly busy time for you.
I hope everything goes really smoothly and that your new job is awesome.
2017-06-12 4:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Kinda proof of life for me too.

I am slowly getting better. I had to stop taking the antibiotics after just a couple of days as they were having disastrous side affects for me. I have started taking some natural stuff instead and it is helping. Still having problems when the air turns cold, but I think that I might be able to manage a treadmill run tonight cause it will be inside in the warm.
2017-06-12 5:59 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Good luck with the big move!

2017-06-13 2:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Good luck with the big move!

Ditto!  Good bosses make a huge difference (but I hear you on the first impression thing - 30/60/90 and all).  Hope you manage to have fun in the midst of the madness!

Matt

2017-06-13 3:41 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Best of luck to ya on the move, hope all goes seamlessly and without incident.  Congrats again on the new job!

2017-06-13 3:42 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by StaceyK Kinda proof of life for me too. I am slowly getting better. I had to stop taking the antibiotics after just a couple of days as they were having disastrous side affects for me. I have started taking some natural stuff instead and it is helping. Still having problems when the air turns cold, but I think that I might be able to manage a treadmill run tonight cause it will be inside in the warm.

It's great you were able to find a natural alternative to the bad side affect producing antibiotics.  Keep resting, taking care of yourself, healing and getting better!

2017-06-14 11:52 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Quick note.  I'm very actively working to suppress the race bug I started to feel the last few days.  Hoping it passes... 

Been a couple years (!) since I've raced a tri (at least one that had a swim - Austin remains weird in every way), but the hassle:fun ratio seems to be tilting back to throwing in. 

Balancing the fun of racing with the fun of trying to improve (NOT the same things for me) and keeping everything else on track will be, ummmmm... interesting.  If I can't suppress the bug, that is. 

That is all.

Matt

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102