BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2017-10-01 8:04 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition
Originally posted by StaceyK

Has anyone ever done a night time trail race? I stumbled across a series of them held here and they have me intrigued.

I done it several years in a row. There was a 15 mile night time trail run in January in a nearby town. They cancelled it 2 years ago and it doesn't look like it will come back.
The run itself was a blast. It was mostly on fire trails and about 2 miles on deer trails. Plus a creek crossing, over a fell log. At 12 miles a buddy of the RD had a bond fire and beer. The awards ceremony/after party had chili (beef, chicken and vegetarian),
The race had a theme of the witchy wolf a Huron Indian folk lore of enchanted wolves that protected the graves of their ancestors. It do go past an Indian burial ground. The witchy wolf has been know to scare the pants off of a few teenagers parked in the woods, but that's a different story.

2017-10-02 6:44 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It looks like there is going to be a Manatee Meetup next fall in Chattanooga.  All of you are welcome to join us!

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/chattanooga/register.aspx

2017-10-02 7:06 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
That reminds me--So sad....Little Debbie did not appear in a sponsoring role at Worlds and there were no handouts of cakes or even anything like Moon Pies. In fact Worlds was sponsored by Icy Hot--kinda makes sense given the nastiness of the course. I'm sure everyone could have used some. However, I never saw any handouts of that product either at the expo or after the race!
2017-10-02 7:48 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner That reminds me--So sad....Little Debbie did not appear in a sponsoring role at Worlds and there were no handouts of cakes or even anything like Moon Pies. In fact Worlds was sponsored by Icy Hot--kinda makes sense given the nastiness of the course. I'm sure everyone could have used some. However, I never saw any handouts of that product either at the expo or after the race!

I'm sorry that you didn't get any Little Debbie handouts or feel well enough to visit the Moon Pie store!

I hope that David (aka Mr. TJ) had a chance to get a Moon Pie -- or three!

Don't feel too bad, Little Debbie does not sponsor the 70.3 either, that's sponsored by Sunbelt Bakery.

2017-10-02 8:58 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jmkizer

It looks like there is going to be a Manatee Meetup next fall in Chattanooga.  All of you are welcome to join us!

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/chattanooga/register.aspx

CHOO CHOO!!!! IN!
2017-10-02 9:05 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

CHOO CHOO!!!! IN!

At least three of us plan to be in town that weekend.  That's assuming that the world does not come to an end with at least FOUR Manatees are in Louisville later this month!

2017-10-02 9:29 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Nice! Who besides you?

2017-10-02 10:15 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Nice! Who besides you?

Randee and Lisa

2017-10-02 10:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by StaceyK Has anyone ever done a night time trail race? I stumbled across a series of them held here and they have me intrigued.

I did one a few years ago, a little over 10K distance.  The trail was marked with ribbons in trees (no lights or glow sticks), the runners were responsible for their own light source (headlamp and/or handheld light).  It was full-on trail, PA-style which means rocks and roots, although they claimed to have tried to use some of the smoother trails in the area.  It's held annually around Halloween, so some people are running around the woods in crazy costumes.  Yes, I got beaten by a cow .  The highpoint is they have an 'alternative beverage' stop atop the hill by a pagoda (yes, an actual pagoda building).  I naturally partook since there was only about a mile or so left after that.   It was fun.  I ran a bit tentatively as I didn't want to misjudge my step and fall on the rocks but there were some of the speedsters that took the rock gardens at full speed, simply amazing.  Food, beer, and socializing at the end, too.  Fun.

Edited by melbo55 2017-10-02 10:49 AM
2017-10-02 11:08 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Nice! Who besides you?

Randee and Lisa

and to prepare, I'm running this half in a few weeks:
http://steamtrainhalf.com/

beat the train (2hr 15min) you get a train whistle! You know, because a $75 race entry fee for a free $6 whistle is totally worth it! CHOO CHOO!
2017-10-02 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nice! Who besides you?

Randee and Lisa

and to prepare, I'm running this half in a few weeks: http://steamtrainhalf.com/beat the train (2hr 15min) you get a train whistle! You know, because a $75 race entry fee for a free $6 whistle is totally worth it! CHOO CHOO!

I saw my parent this weekend and I was wearing my Wrigthsville Beach Sprint shirt. My mom said something about a new shirt and I said, "I pay a lot for these shirts!"

2017-10-02 12:40 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Interesting.

I believe long-distance triathlon is changing as well. Since 2012, the sport has been both growing – there are more races now globally than ever before – and shrinking – participation numbers in the US are roughly half of what they were five years ago, something that is mirrored to varying degrees in virtually of the traditional triathlon strongholds globally.

https://rappstar.com/2017/09/18/ride-on/

HALF?  The numbers are really HALF of what they were five years ago.  Wow.

2017-10-02 12:58 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Interesting.

I believe long-distance triathlon is changing as well. Since 2012, the sport has been both growing – there are more races now globally than ever before – and shrinking – participation numbers in the US are roughly half of what they were five years ago, something that is mirrored to varying degrees in virtually of the traditional triathlon strongholds globally.

I heard someone else say the total # is the same but there are more women and fewer men!
2017-10-02 1:07 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Interesting.

That seems like a lot, but it does feel like the numbers are way down.  I know it used to be almost impossible to sign up for certain IM races, eg, Florida, and now races aren't selling out or they sell out late.  It could be there are more races to chose from, but I do know many people who no longer do tris.  I also know that running races are down in numbers too.  It seems the whatever gen were are at now, like to do other things like obstacle races, crossfit, orange theory etc more than they like to run.   

2017-10-02 3:39 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Nice! Who besides you?

Randee and Lisa

Yeah yeahhhh!! Super excited! 

2017-10-05 12:59 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
No activity in 3 days? Where is everyone?

2017-10-05 1:13 PM

User image

No activity in 3 days? Where is everyone?

Not having any races on the calendar, I've started reading IMTX race reports. I'm trying very hard to talk myself out of registering but it's not going so well
2017-10-05 2:52 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TXTriRook
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk No activity in 3 days? Where is everyone?
Not having any races on the calendar, I've started reading IMTX race reports. I'm trying very hard to talk myself out of registering but it's not going so well

The one where they try to have you do all three at the same time?

2017-10-05 8:27 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Proof of life post.

Sorry that I haven't been around much still spacko busy at work which is interrupting my online time and our 3 week old monsters are causing me to lose a fair bit of sleep at night time. They still think that they need to eat every 3 hours.

All this means that I still haven't done any training and it is now 90 DAYS until Disney!!!!!
(yes I am beginning to panic a little)
2017-10-05 9:55 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Proof of life here. Not running, horrible weather, and depressed. Really haven't noticed much improvement after four weeks of no running and four weeks of minimal running. (There was a HIM in the middle of that, but still....) No treatment has really worked; no real options here. Hoping it's just one of those things that takes time but eventually gets better?? Not just not running--family stuff. Just don't have the heart to read about people running. Have mainly been going on BT to log lately and then getting off so I don't have to read about people running.

Fall break starts tomorrow. Going to Singapore for a few days so I can not run in a different location. I will lose my mind if I spend it lying on the couch here and watching it rain and flood.
2017-10-06 7:53 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by TXTriRook
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk No activity in 3 days? Where is everyone?

Uh oh! That's always a dangerous place to be. Next thing you know, you'll have hotel reservations "just in case." It's a slippery slope!

2017-10-06 7:54 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK Proof of life post. Sorry that I haven't been around much still spacko busy at work which is interrupting my online time and our 3 week old monsters are causing me to lose a fair bit of sleep at night time. They still think that they need to eat every 3 hours. All this means that I still haven't done any training and it is now 90 DAYS until Disney!!!!! (yes I am beginning to panic a little)

I know that you realize this but Disney will be a lot more fun if you are physically prepared for the Challenge.

2017-10-06 7:57 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Proof of life here. Not running, horrible weather, and depressed. Really haven't noticed much improvement after four weeks of no running and four weeks of minimal running. (There was a HIM in the middle of that, but still....) No treatment has really worked; no real options here. Hoping it's just one of those things that takes time but eventually gets better?? Not just not running--family stuff. Just don't have the heart to read about people running. Have mainly been going on BT to log lately and then getting off so I don't have to read about people running. Fall break starts tomorrow. Going to Singapore for a few days so I can not run in a different location. I will lose my mind if I spend it lying on the couch here and watching it rain and flood.

{{hugs}}

Healing takes time. I had my shoulder surgery three years ago. Only recently have I been able to sleep on my stomach. Unbelievable that after THREE YEARS I am still seeing improvements. That is not to say that you will be not running for three years, just that healing takes a whole lotta patience.

2017-10-06 8:05 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
If it comes to three years, I will ask for amputation, or do it myself. Not joking. OMG.
2017-10-06 9:56 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by StaceyK Proof of life post. Sorry that I haven't been around much still spacko busy at work which is interrupting my online time and our 3 week old monsters are causing me to lose a fair bit of sleep at night time. They still think that they need to eat every 3 hours. All this means that I still haven't done any training and it is now 90 DAYS until Disney!!!!! (yes I am beginning to panic a little)

Wait, hold the phone - you have new puppies?!?!?!  Yay!!!  Except when they don't allow you to sleep much.  Can I request pictures?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  

of 44