BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2017-10-06 9:57 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition

Originally posted by Hot Runner Proof of life here. Not running, horrible weather, and depressed. Really haven't noticed much improvement after four weeks of no running and four weeks of minimal running. (There was a HIM in the middle of that, but still....) No treatment has really worked; no real options here. Hoping it's just one of those things that takes time but eventually gets better?? Not just not running--family stuff. Just don't have the heart to read about people running. Have mainly been going on BT to log lately and then getting off so I don't have to read about people running. Fall break starts tomorrow. Going to Singapore for a few days so I can not run in a different location. I will lose my mind if I spend it lying on the couch here and watching it rain and flood.

Wishing the best for you, Karen.  Are you doing anything for your injury other than resting?  PT?  Sorry to hear about the family stuff piling on as well.  Here's hoping the change in location will give your body and mind a boost.

2017-10-06 9:59 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by StaceyK Proof of life post. Sorry that I haven't been around much still spacko busy at work which is interrupting my online time and our 3 week old monsters are causing me to lose a fair bit of sleep at night time. They still think that they need to eat every 3 hours. All this means that I still haven't done any training and it is now 90 DAYS until Disney!!!!! (yes I am beginning to panic a little)

I know that you realize this but Disney will be a lot more fun if you are physically prepared for the Challenge.

LOL! True statement! 

2017-10-06 10:08 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Proof of life here. Not running, horrible weather, and depressed. Really haven't noticed much improvement after four weeks of no running and four weeks of minimal running. (There was a HIM in the middle of that, but still....) No treatment has really worked; no real options here. Hoping it's just one of those things that takes time but eventually gets better?? Not just not running--family stuff. Just don't have the heart to read about people running. Have mainly been going on BT to log lately and then getting off so I don't have to read about people running. Fall break starts tomorrow. Going to Singapore for a few days so I can not run in a different location. I will lose my mind if I spend it lying on the couch here and watching it rain and flood.

Sorry you are having a hard time right now. I think a number of us have been through being put in time out for extended period of time and it stinks!  I won't relate my surgery shoulder improvement time-line but will tell you that last year I was put in running time out for hamstring tendonopathy.  Dr. said just 1 month would be all it took.  Ha!  It took closer to 4 (on top of the 4 months i was running with the injury, but doing PT!), then when i was able to run again i had to run slowly and do run-walks.  I thought that was going to be my lot in my running life, but things did improve and now I am pretty much able to run like I did before the injury!   All this to say, like Janyne mentioned, give your body time to heal. It may seem like it will never get there, but it usually does.    Don't perform any self-amputations 

2017-10-06 10:37 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Proof of life here. Not running, horrible weather, and depressed. Really haven't noticed much improvement after four weeks of no running and four weeks of minimal running. (There was a HIM in the middle of that, but still....) No treatment has really worked; no real options here. Hoping it's just one of those things that takes time but eventually gets better?? Not just not running--family stuff. Just don't have the heart to read about people running. Have mainly been going on BT to log lately and then getting off so I don't have to read about people running.

Fall break starts tomorrow. Going to Singapore for a few days so I can not run in a different location. I will lose my mind if I spend it lying on the couch here and watching it rain and flood.

Sorry
2017-10-06 10:39 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

October 7-8
No known racers this week

Is anyone racing?

Louisville peeps, when are you planning to arrive in town? Would you like to plan a Manatee Meetup? Maybe plan it around an athlete briefing? If you need to be in your own headspace during your time in Louisville, I get it.

Karen, we all hope that you start to have some noticeable improvement soon!

2017-10-06 10:58 AM

User image

Originally posted by TXTriRook
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk No activity in 3 days? Where is everyone?
Not having any races on the calendar, I've started reading IMTX race reports. I'm trying very hard to talk myself out of registering but it's not going so well

Uh oh! That's always a dangerous place to be. Next thing you know, you'll have hotel reservations "just in case." It's a slippery slope!

ha - clearly you've been through this before. I know there are still a few races left this year but anyone have a big race lined up for 2018 yet? IMTX is in Tier 4 pricing already so clearly a lot of people are planning ahead!

2017-10-06 10:58 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!!!

October 7-8

Is anyone racing?

Louisville peeps, when are you planning to arrive in town? Would you like to plan a Manatee Meetup? Maybe plan it around an athlete briefing? If you need to be in your own headspace during your time in Louisville, I get it.

I have the Old Glory Relay coming through southern NM next week. Me and my RWB team will be receiving Old Glory in the morning on Wednesday, running/biking her across NM and handing her off to El Paso in the evening.

2017-10-06 10:59 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

October 7-8

Is anyone racing?

Getting there Thursday, what about you?. Being in my own head is always a scary thing  , so let's meet up!  One of the athlete briefings sounds like a good time to me.

2017-10-06 11:40 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

Racing Manatees!!!

October 7-8

Is anyone racing?

I have the Old Glory Relay coming through southern NM next week. Me and my RWB team will be receiving Old Glory in the morning on Wednesday, running/biking her across NM and handing her off to El Paso in the evening.

That sounds like a blast!

2017-10-06 11:45 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by rrrunner

Racing Manatees!!!

October 7-8

Is anyone racing?

That sounds like a blast!

We had fun last year. This year we have a further distance and fewer people so we are incorporating bikes.  Our total distance is only 78 miles so, theoretically, I could do it myself

2017-10-06 11:45 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk No activity in 3 days? Where is everyone?
Not having any races on the calendar, I've started reading IMTX race reports. I'm trying very hard to talk myself out of registering but it's not going so well

Uh oh! That's always a dangerous place to be. Next thing you know, you'll have hotel reservations "just in case." It's a slippery slope!

ha - clearly you've been through this before. I know there are still a few races left this year but anyone have a big race lined up for 2018 yet? IMTX is in Tier 4 pricing already so clearly a lot of people are planning ahead!

We hare folks signed up for the Disney Dopey Challenge in January, Challenge Wanaka in February, Georgia Marathon and Myrtle Beach Marathon in March, Xterra Rotorua in April, and IM Chattanooga in September as well as others looking a NorthCape-Tarifa in June and IMLP 70.3 in September.

2017-10-06 6:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sigh...I don't know what I am going to do about Challenge Wanaka. I did go ahead and make the travel arrangements, as flights and hotels were filling up fast. May end up walking the run at the rate I am going.

As for treatment, I tried a lot of things before Worlds. The best we have is a chiropractic clinic that has some PT-type treatments (ultrasound, deep-tissue massage), as well as acupuncture. I have tried all of those for at least 4 weeks--all out of pocket with no noticeable benefit. The chiropractor claims to have experience with sports injuries and some colleagues sing his praises, but I don't think he properly diagnosed the issue, and the treatment I did may have been just further irritating things and setting off chronic inflammation. I had x-rays and ultrasound done to rule out stress fracture or Morton's neuroma (initially we thought it was the latter as I had some nerve symptoms, but they found no neuroma on the US).

I then consulted via e-mail with my coach's podiatrist, who thinks the issue is a joint capsule inflammation and possibly ligament tears under the toe, But none of this is visible on an x-ray. Really the only way to know for sure is an MRI, and my insurance doesn't cover that, huge fee out of pocket. So what we are left with is rest. Not running has pretty much resulted in usually not hurting when I'm not running. The inflammation is still there--I can feel it. Some days/hours/minutes it bothers me and some days/hours/ minutes it doesn't. I have been completely unable to work out why.

The podiatrist then advised a walking cast or boot. This is a real problem--I live in a developing country with horrific traffic, and am on my feet pretty much all day at work. Anything that compromises my mobility is going to require extended leave from work and probably leaving the country. Might be okay if I had someone who could do the shopping, take me to work, take all my school duties, etc. but I don't. The best I can do is hiking boots, which supposedly minimize "plantar flexion", pushing off one's toes. I haven't really noticed any significant progress since I started wearing them instead of normal shoes two weeks ago. And they are heavy and hot in tropical heat. Not sure if they are worth the trouble or not. Ugh.

Have been all through the websites and it's very depressing. There really isn't any reliable treatment for this beyond not running, immobilization, or surgery in cases that are more extreme than mine (where the toe is actually deformed). Some people report having the issue for years. It's not just a matter of running but hiking, being on my feet at work, even just walking around doing errands--all are uncomfortable and bad for "healing". What I am left with is some indoor exercise and sitting around. I can live with that for a few months but for years....NO.

Still not entirely sure this is what I have--running and/or a foot deformity like bunion or hammertoe didn't seem to be the trigger as it is for most people. (My feet look normal; I've run for almost 40 years in very similar shoes, and haven't increased mileage for ages. In fact, with triathlon and now my current coach, I've been running quite a bit less. Why now?) but some ill-fitting bike shoes that were cramping my toes. I had trouble replacing them in Asia and so prolonged the problem. Maybe there is some other underlying medical issue that is causing the chronic inflammation, but I don't have the time, money, or resources to investigate that here. UGH.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-10-06 6:59 PM
2017-10-06 8:39 PM

User image

Expert
That stinks and is so frustrating. I'm sorry to hear about you injury and the plight to properly diagnose and treat it.
2017-10-07 6:32 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by Hot RunnerSigh...I don't know what I am going to do about Challenge Wanaka. I did go ahead and make the travel arrangements, as flights and hotels were filling up fast. May end up walking the run at the rate I am going.As for treatment, I tried a lot of things before Worlds. The best we have is a chiropractic clinic that has some PT-type treatments (ultrasound, deep-tissue massage), as well as acupuncture. I have tried all of those for at least 4 weeks--all out of pocket with no noticeable benefit. The chiropractor claims to have experience with sports injuries and some colleagues sing his praises, but I don't think he properly diagnosed the issue, and the treatment I did may have been just further irritating things and setting off chronic inflammation. I had x-rays and ultrasound done to rule out stress fracture or Morton's neuroma (initially we thought it was the latter as I had some nerve symptoms, but they found no neuroma on the US). I then consulted via e-mail with my coach's podiatrist, who thinks the issue is a joint capsule inflammation and possibly ligament tears under the toe, But none of this is visible on an x-ray. Really the only way to know for sure is an MRI, and my insurance doesn't cover that, huge fee out of pocket. So what we are left with is rest. Not running has pretty much resulted in usually not hurting when I'm not running. The inflammation is still there--I can feel it. Some days/hours/minutes it bothers me and some days/hours/ minutes it doesn't. I have been completely unable to work out why.The podiatrist then advised a walking cast or boot. This is a real problem--I live in a developing country with horrific traffic, and am on my feet pretty much all day at work. Anything that compromises my mobility is going to require extended leave from work and probably leaving the country. Might be okay if I had someone who could do the shopping, take me to work, take all my school duties, etc. but I don't. The best I can do is hiking boots, which supposedly minimize "plantar flexion", pushing off one's toes. I haven't really noticed any significant progress since I started wearing them instead of normal shoes two weeks ago. And they are heavy and hot in tropical heat. Not sure if they are worth the trouble or not. Ugh.Have been all through the websites and it's very depressing. There really isn't any reliable treatment for this beyond not running, immobilization, or surgery in cases that are more extreme than mine (where the toe is actually deformed). Some people report having the issue for years. It's not just a matter of running but hiking, being on my feet at work, even just walking around doing errands--all are uncomfortable and bad for "healing". What I am left with is some indoor exercise and sitting around. I can live with that for a few months but for years....NO.Still not entirely sure this is what I have--running and/or a foot deformity like bunion or hammertoe didn't seem to be the trigger as it is for most people. (My feet look normal; I've run for almost 40 years in very similar shoes, and haven't increased mileage for ages. In fact, with triathlon and now my current coach, I've been running quite a bit less. Why now?) but some ill-fitting bike shoes that were cramping my toes. I had trouble replacing them in Asia and so prolonged the problem. Maybe there is some other underlying medical issue that is causing the chronic inflammation, but I don't have the time, money, or resources to investigate that here. UGH.
I'm so sorry for this. If I were you I'd really think about getting the mri. I know that's easier said than done when in a developing country but it does look comparatively cheap in Vietnam compared to western prices. Forgive me if I'm being naive if this is a ridiculous suggestion. Hope you find the cause.
2017-10-07 7:24 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Maybe depends on where you do it. The last time I asked at the clinic I usually go to, I was quoted ridiculous prices for out of pocket. I will probably take that step, maybe at a cheaper hospital, if I don't feel there's been any progress after another 4-6 weeks of no running. The podiatrist feels like it wouldn't really change the treatment plan at this point, and that 6-12 weeks of no running is typical for this injury to resolve. I guess the only reason it might be useful right now is if the tech missed a neuroma on the ultrasound--in that case, a cortisone injection would change from being a dangerous idea (it can weaken ligaments enough to cause complete rupture if there are already tears) to maybe a good one. But I'm not having nerve symptoms--tingling and burning-- anymore, now that I'm not running and out of the bad bike shoes. Guessing they were due to inflammation putting pressure on a nearby nerve.

Whether or not there are ligament tears, there is clearly joint inflammation--I can tell this with no tech! In both cases, basically, the treatment is not to irritate that area until it heals. I think there are also hormone issues (retaining fluid at certain times, especially during heavy training cycles) that may have contributed to the initial issue and/or aggravate it at times, but I don't want to go into that with some random doctor here. What I really need is a female doctor with fluent English who understands this stuff, as well as sports medicine/orthopedics!

Nearly pain-free day today, probably because I didn't really go anywhere on foot. I think the furthest I went was across the street for brunch with some friends. No way around being on my feet at airports tomorrow; hoping I don't aggravate things with that or doing too much shopping in Singapore--that's tough. At least everything is pretty concentrated in one place there. Probably would be better if I spent the week of Fall Break on the couch, just doing trainer rides, ordering in food, and watching it rain, but I am not mentally capable of doing that without going insane!
2017-10-08 7:41 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Well, my foot has survived an afternoon of power shopping on Orchard Road (a bizarre mix of things I hoard on my trips here--swim goggles, electrolyte tabs, books, socks, nuts... and gorge on--Indonesian food, laksa, Chinese fritter thingies that go with soy milk), but I don't recommend trying to accomplish this while wearing hiking boots. Less the area that is usually painful than everything else--heels, calves, the other foot, and the rest of my lower body in general were killing me after a while. Somehow hiking boots don't work on hard mall floors. Seriously....I found a sale on Hokas and bought a pair, mainly so I could wear them instead of hiking boots for the rest of my shopping day and make it back to the hotel. (They are just about as rigid--screw ankle support limiting plantar flexion and whatnot--I was about to fall on my face from all that "support".)

I may need to take a recovery day from shopping. Or at least my credit card might....

2017-10-08 4:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Well, my foot has survived an afternoon of power shopping on Orchard Road (a bizarre mix of things I hoard on my trips here--swim goggles, electrolyte tabs, books, socks, nuts... and gorge on--Indonesian food, laksa, Chinese fritter thingies that go with soy milk), but I don't recommend trying to accomplish this while wearing hiking boots. Less the area that is usually painful than everything else--heels, calves, the other foot, and the rest of my lower body in general were killing me after a while. Somehow hiking boots don't work on hard mall floors. Seriously....I found a sale on Hokas and bought a pair, mainly so I could wear them instead of hiking boots for the rest of my shopping day and make it back to the hotel. (They are just about as rigid--screw ankle support limiting plantar flexion and whatnot--I was about to fall on my face from all that "support".)

I may need to take a recovery day from shopping. Or at least my credit card might....

im glad your foot survived Karen and that you got your shopping done.
2017-10-08 6:22 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Ha ha not done! Most objectives accomplished, but forgot to get goggles and still need to do the grocery store part. Have never worked out what it is the Vietnamese have against oatmeal, nuts, and granola bars. They either don't import them at all (whereas lots of other obscure products are readily available) or the stores carry reasonably-priced ones for a while, then switch to new brands with incredibly high prices--meusli for $20 for 1 pound/500g (really), almonds $20+ a pound ($44 a kilo), granola bars $8-$10 for a 6-bar box. Singapore is supposedly one of the world's most expensive cities, but it's about half that here. WTF. I know colleagues with little kids that come for the weekend and fill a big suitcase with their kids' favorite cereals!

About to go check out the fitness room and put together some kind of short bike workout so I don't completely fall to pieces this week; maybe try to get in a swim later.
2017-10-08 8:00 PM

User image

Karen, get the MRI. When I injured my foot and ankle, I waited a week before I went to have it checked. My doctor looked at the x-rays and declared it was a bone bruise and arthritis. He sent me to physical therapy. The PT had looked at the x-rays and said that this wasn't arthritis and something was really weird. He wanted to send my to an orthopedic surgeon right then but my insurance required 3 PT visits before they would okay that visit. By the time I got into the surgeon the broken navicular bones (I'm special- I had two navicular bones in my left foot instead of just one) had begun to heal, but the tendon was trapped in the bones as they healed and were fusing together. She wanted me in surgery the next day but I had to wait so I could get sub plans set up.

If I had been properly diagnosed sooner I probably wouldn't be calling my left ankle and foot "The Limb" right now.
2017-10-08 9:30 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yikes! Will probably be taking that step if I don't feel ready to get back to running in another four weeks or continued progress over the next two weeks. Even scheduling an out-of-pocket MRI can be a challenge in a place with limited resources--still need a referral and that requires at least another appointment, maybe multiple ones. I've been seeing some progress in the last week or so--not nearly as dramatic as I would like, but it is the first time since April that I've felt like things are improving, not staying the same or getting worse.

This isn't a traumatic injury--it's been going on at some level since mid-April; starting with mild discomfort while biking and progressing to where it would be sore on bricks, at the beginning of runs, and sometimes after. Somehow it got quite a bit worse after CDA in late June, but I don't recall any point in the race where it suddenly started hurting--just a lot more than the normal post-race soreness. An orthopedist and a podiatrist (the latter in the US) have looked at the x-ray and diagnostic ultrasound and seen no signs of stress fracture, stress reaction, neuroma, or anything else, really. It's not in a location that has bones (under the foot at the base of the toe). So pretty sure we are looking at a joint inflammation and/or soft tissue injury. Possibly the inflammation is prolonged by some other condition, or just the reality of my day-to-day life. I am on my feet A LOT, and, at least in the past, not always in really great shoes.

Probably the big mistake was babying it along and trying to keep running--I had two races that I really wanted to do. Should have just pulled out of the races and stopped running at that point, but these were my last chance to do my hometown race, and Worlds. So now I am paying the price for that.

2017-10-09 3:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Ok so my sister has signed us up for the summer trail series.

They are only 12k long so not major and all in the day light. There is one before Disney which we will take very easy and it is on a beginner trail. The others are all after we get back from Florida.

So what do I need to know and what do I need?

(and yes I know running is a given )

Edited by StaceyK 2017-10-09 3:58 AM

2017-10-09 4:37 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK Ok so my sister has signed us up for the summer trail series. They are only 12k long so not major and all in the day light. There is one before Disney which we will take very easy and it is on a beginner trail. The others are all after we get back from Florida. So what do I need to know and what do I need? (and yes I know running is a given )

ive never needed anything but my normal running gear. if some of the trails are more advanced you may want trail shoes, but I've run all sorts of trails in my normal running shoes without issue.  If you can get some training on trails that would be good as trails recruit different muscles - more of your stabilizer muscles will be recruited as your foot strike will be affected by the uneven terrain.  I LOVE trail races, but they are more difficult- you will be slower, but it is worth it!!

2017-10-09 8:22 AM
in reply to: amd723

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by StaceyK Ok so my sister has signed us up for the summer trail series. They are only 12k long so not major and all in the day light. There is one before Disney which we will take very easy and it is on a beginner trail. The others are all after we get back from Florida. So what do I need to know and what do I need? (and yes I know running is a given )

ive never needed anything but my normal running gear. if some of the trails are more advanced you may want trail shoes, but I've run all sorts of trails in my normal running shoes without issue.  If you can get some training on trails that would be good as trails recruit different muscles - more of your stabilizer muscles will be recruited as your foot strike will be affected by the uneven terrain.  I LOVE trail races, but they are more difficult- you will be slower, but it is worth it!!

Like Hands said, mostly just keep running. Expect to be slower, and there isn't a quick conversion as trails can vary significantly. I've been about 7' and 14' slower than expected road pace in some 10k's a few years ago. Others that are more pathway than trail may still be within a minute. Do back off on both effort and duration the first few times because of the support areas mentioned. See how these do. When I start to notice these, they're usually already pretty well fatigued. This is also when you're more likely to slip or something. So work into it to build up some fatigue resistance there and an understanding of what they're telling you.

Road shoes in decent condition are often fine for things I've seen. More trail specific shoes can be helpful, but at the same type won't totally revolutionize your running.

Any technique things that may come up you'll get the hang of along the way. Mostly it's staying in control, body weight centered over your feet, learning to keep your momentum (note, not the same thing as speed).

2017-10-09 8:26 AM

Master
Northern IL

Karen, wish I had something to add for you. Already looking at shoes & boots. Seem to be considering what the treatment may be anyway. Hope you can figure out the MRI situation.

2017-10-09 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Yikes! Will probably be taking that step if I don't feel ready to get back to running in another four weeks or continued progress over the next two weeks. Even scheduling an out-of-pocket MRI can be a challenge in a place with limited resources--still need a referral and that requires at least another appointment, maybe multiple ones. I've been seeing some progress in the last week or so--not nearly as dramatic as I would like, but it is the first time since April that I've felt like things are improving, not staying the same or getting worse. This isn't a traumatic injury--it's been going on at some level since mid-April; starting with mild discomfort while biking and progressing to where it would be sore on bricks, at the beginning of runs, and sometimes after. Somehow it got quite a bit worse after CDA in late June, but I don't recall any point in the race where it suddenly started hurting--just a lot more than the normal post-race soreness. An orthopedist and a podiatrist (the latter in the US) have looked at the x-ray and diagnostic ultrasound and seen no signs of stress fracture, stress reaction, neuroma, or anything else, really. It's not in a location that has bones (under the foot at the base of the toe). So pretty sure we are looking at a joint inflammation and/or soft tissue injury. Possibly the inflammation is prolonged by some other condition, or just the reality of my day-to-day life. I am on my feet A LOT, and, at least in the past, not always in really great shoes. Probably the big mistake was babying it along and trying to keep running--I had two races that I really wanted to do. Should have just pulled out of the races and stopped running at that point, but these were my last chance to do my hometown race, and Worlds. So now I am paying the price for that.

I'm glad that you have planned some next steps and I am hopeful that you won't need them!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mayhem Part Deux - 2017 Edition Rss Feed  

of 44