Other Resources The Political Joe » Politically incorrect Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2017-11-28 12:00 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Politically incorrect
http://dailycaller.com/2017/11/28/mooch-defends-trumps-pocahontas-c...

I have to agree with him that people are getting tired of politically correctness.

“My point is, I don’t see it as much of a big deal as you do..."

This is exactly what I think as I read the headlines and watch the news. I really don't care what Trump tweeted! I don't care that Trump made a Pocahontas joke about Warren. Who the 'ell said the name "Pocahontas" was holy or sacred? It's is one of only two female Indians I have every heard of (the other being Sacagawea).

I guess people are free to take offense as they see fit but it sure seems like a miserable way to go thru life.

2017-11-28 7:51 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: Politically incorrect
Seems she considers Pocahontas to be racial slur. http://freebeacon.com/politics/warren-trump-will-not-silence-using-...
2017-11-28 10:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I haven't read the links you guys posted, but I'll say this..... I think it was a douche move by the President to bring an "attack" on Warren into a ceremony to honor the Navajo Code Talkers. 

If we're really going to do away with "political correctness" then we've got to call all of this stuff even.  My god, Conservatives were up in arms if President Obama didn't put his hand over his heart during the National Anthem. That pales in comparison to this IMO.

The Code Talkers are absolute heroes of our country.  Talk to a WWII vet about these guys (if you can find one)......you will find complete reverence. That's what was owed by our President during the ceremony. 

I'm not offended because I just don't get offended (I think I was born without the gene or something), but I don't have any problem telling someone they have acted like a buffoon....or being told when I do. I don't care about the Pocahontas reference to Warren in general.....it's pretty funny actually.  But not there, not during that ceremony.  It's not appropriate and it's disrespectful to the moment to bring politics in.  To me it's unarguable.

Mr. President, you acted like a buffoon on steroids.  How about a simple "thank you for your amazing service to our country" when dealing with people like these men.....it shouldn't be hard to be humble in their presence.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-11-28 10:21 PM
2017-11-29 6:25 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
He made an off the cuff ad lib joke. I thought it was funny. Maybe the occasion was too somber for a joke to be appropriate but that is Trump. Much ado about nothing. I’ve done worse....
2017-11-29 8:58 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
"“The Marines made us yell ‘Geronimo’ when we jumped out of planes and that didn’t offend me either.” - Navajo Code Talker responding to Trumps Pocahontas joke.
2017-11-29 9:03 AM
in reply to: #5231580

User image

Expert
Floriduh
“I haven't read the links you guys posted, but I'll say this..... I think it was a douche move by the President to bring an "attack" on Warren into a ceremony to honor the Navajo Code Talkers”

+1. Did you note that one of those vets had “Iwo Jima Survivor” on the side of his hat? In my book this places this man on a pedestal I am unworthy to stand in the shadow of. Using a word that he may find offensive is flatly unforgivable. I am embarrassed for our country, he has my sincere apology.

I’m still waiting for Trump to become presidential. I always questioned his ability to live up to the job both intellectually and emotionally. I have ample evidence I was right and sufficient evidence this guy is an azzhole.

2017-11-29 9:12 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro
Tejas
The Donald is having too much fun poking the hornet nest. He needs filters to keep him from crossing the line.
2017-11-29 9:12 AM

User image

Pro

I know I'm probably overly biased to this kind of disrespect.  My Grandfather was 2nd Marine Division in the Pacific.  He landed and fought at Tarawa and Tinian. I know what he thought of those Navajo men firsthand.

President Trump is clueless about this kind of stuff IMO.  Any ceremony honoring any of these men deserves the utmost reverence and respect.  How is that not understood by a man of his generation?

2017-11-29 9:17 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio "“The Marines made us yell ‘Geronimo’ when we jumped out of planes and that didn’t offend me either.” - Navajo Code Talker responding to Trumps Pocahontas joke.

I'm glad he wasn't offended.  It would be terrible if he was. Still, it's not the time or place for jokes or political digs.  If we want our younger and future generations to understand what place these men hold in history then we treat them with the utmost respect that they deserve.  If we don't, then we don't have a leg to stand on when we wonder why young people don't have the same respect for our flag that we do.  To me this is not arguable. 

2017-11-29 9:28 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Rogillio "“The Marines made us yell ‘Geronimo’ when we jumped out of planes and that didn’t offend me either.” - Navajo Code Talker responding to Trumps Pocahontas joke.

I'm glad he wasn't offended.  It would be terrible if he was. Still, it's not the time or place for jokes or political digs.  If we want our younger and future generations to understand what place these men hold in history then we treat them with the utmost respect that they deserve.  If we don't, then we don't have a leg to stand on when we wonder why young people don't have the same respect for our flag that we do.  To me this is not arguable. 

I don't think the Pocahontas comment took anything away from honoring the Navajo Code Talker ceremony. From what I can tell, the ceremony was pretty much over and they were standing around talking afterwards. It is the media with a hard on for Trump trying to make a big deal over it....the same media who gives Elizabeth Warren a pass for lying on her application to Harvard claiming she was Native American.

ETA

I hit 7777 on my post count....reminds me of the time back in 1977 I went to the horse track on July 7th. It was 7/7/77. I bet $777 dollars on a horse named Lucky 7 running in the 7th race out of the 7th gate!

He didn't win though, sonofabeech came in 7th!

Edited by Rogillio 2017-11-29 9:32 AM
2017-11-29 9:32 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio

I don't think the Pocahontas comment took anything away from honoring the Navajo Code Talker ceremony. From what I can tell, the ceremony was pretty much over and they were standing around talking afterwards. It is the media with a hard on for Trump trying to make a big deal over it....the same media who gives Elizabeth Warren a pass for lying on her application to Harvard claiming she was Native American. test

You could be right about the point in the ceremony where this happened, and I don't doubt that the media put  it in the worst light......President Trump knows this will happen.  There are occasions when he should not play to their hand.  This is one of them.  It diminishes the impact of the honor he is bestowing upon these men.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-11-29 9:33 AM

2017-11-29 10:08 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by mdg2003

The Donald is having too much fun poking the hornet nest. He needs filters to keep him from crossing the line.

Problem is his conception of where the line is is way off of where 90% of us think it is. That is assuming he knows there is a line at all.
2017-11-29 10:18 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
BS. Here is all of what he said:

TRUMP: That's fantastic, thank you. That's fantastic. Thank you very much. Beautiful.

That was so incredible, and now I don't have to make my speech. I had the most beautiful speech written out. I was so proud of it. Look. And I thought you would leave out Iwo Jima, but you got that in the end, too. (Laughter.)

And I want to tell you -- you said you're 90 years old? That's great, because you have good genes. That means the press has got me to kick around for a long time. (Laughter.)

That was beautiful. I loved that and I loved your delivery. And the Code Talkers are amazing. And seriously, it is what I said. So what I'm going to do is give you my speech, and I want you to hold that. And I know you like me, so you'll save it. But that was so well delivered, from the heart. That was from the heart.

So I want to give you this speech because I don't want to bore them with saying the same thing you just said. And you said it better, believe me, because you said it from here. And I mean it from there too.

And you have a lot of great friends. Tom Cole is here, and you know Tom. And you know Jeff. So I want to thank you both, Jeff Denham. I want to thank you both for being here, and you too for being here.

Also, General Dunford, head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and General Kelly. And I have to say, I said to General Kelly --- I said, General, how good -- here he is right there, the Chief; he's the General and the Chief. I said, how good were these Code Talkers? What was it? He said, sir, you have no idea. You have no idea how great they were -- what they've done for this country, and the strength and the bravery and the love that they had for the country and that you have for the country.

So that was the ultimate statement from General Kelly, the importance. And I just want to thank you because you're very, very special people. You were here long before any of us were here, although we have a representative in Congress who, they say, was here a long time ago. They call her "Pocahontas."

But you know what, I like you because you are special. You are special people. You are really incredible people. And from the heart, from the absolute heart, we appreciate what you've done, how you've done it, the bravery that you displayed, and the love that you have for your country.

Tom, I would say that's as good as it gets, wouldn't you say? That's as good as you get.

General Kelly, just come up for one second. I want to just have you say what you told me, a little bit about the Code Talkers. Because it really has been -- learning about you and learning about what you've done has been something that I'd like General Kelly to say to the press.
2017-11-29 10:36 AM

User image

Pro

I'm glad President Trump learned about the Code Talkers. 

His joke about Warren was way out of line for the ceremony.

2017-11-29 10:46 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

I don't think the Pocahontas comment took anything away from honoring the Navajo Code Talker ceremony. From what I can tell, the ceremony was pretty much over and they were standing around talking afterwards. It is the media with a hard on for Trump trying to make a big deal over it....the same media who gives Elizabeth Warren a pass for lying on her application to Harvard claiming she was Native American. ETA I hit 7777 on my post count....reminds me of the time back in 1977 I went to the horse track on July 7th. It was 7/7/77. I bet $777 dollars on a horse named Lucky 7 running in the 7th race out of the 7th gate! He didn't win though, sonofabeech came in 7th!

I think if you watch the whole ceremony, you'll change your mind about this. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msDH2zgKmXo

Edited by Bob Loblaw 2017-11-29 10:52 AM
2017-11-29 10:50 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I'm glad President Trump learned about the Code Talkers. 

His joke about Warren was way out of line for the ceremony.

Lighten up Francis. ;-)

I thought it was funny and in no way took away from what the Navajos did. The 'event' was bringing them to the WH and allowing the Navajo to give his speech. Trump was talking off-script as the event was winding down and made a joke about a political rival. Maybe a polished politician would not have made a such a joke but Trump is not a polished politician....which is part of why he was elected. I don't care if he makes the occasional faux pas. I really don't. The Navajos who were being honored were not offended.

Ironically, had it not been for Trumps joke, few people would have ever heard about this event honoring the Navajo Code Talkers.

2017-11-29 10:53 AM

User image

Pro

Nope.  It was inappropriate for all the reasons I have already stated.  Like I said, to me, it's not arguable. 

But, good try.

2017-11-29 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

I know I'm probably overly biased to this kind of disrespect.  My Grandfather was 2nd Marine Division in the Pacific.  He landed and fought at Tarawa and Tinian. I know what he thought of those Navajo men firsthand.

President Trump is clueless about this kind of stuff IMO.  Any ceremony honoring any of these men deserves the utmost reverence and respect.  How is that not understood by a man of his generation?

The introductions of the three men is absolutely incredible. One of them had to swim to the beach at Tarawa after his landing craft was destroyed, and was later was shot fighting on Tinian. The man who fought at Iwo Jima later joined the Army to fight in the Korean War. They, and your grandfather, have my utmost respect.

2017-11-29 11:03 AM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Bob Loblaw

I don't think the Pocahontas comment took anything away from honoring the Navajo Code Talker ceremony. From what I can tell, the ceremony was pretty much over and they were standing around talking afterwards. It is the media with a hard on for Trump trying to make a big deal over it....the same media who gives Elizabeth Warren a pass for lying on her application to Harvard claiming she was Native American. ETA I hit 7777 on my post count....reminds me of the time back in 1977 I went to the horse track on July 7th. It was 7/7/77. I bet $777 dollars on a horse named Lucky 7 running in the 7th race out of the 7th gate! He didn't win though, sonofabeech came in 7th!

Thanks, I can't view utube at work but will take a look tonight. As I just posted, had it not been for the Pocahontas joke this event would have passed virtually unnoticed. I've been trying to find out why the event was held? Was it the xx anniversary of something? Did one of the last code talker die? Who initiated this event to honor the code talkers and invited them to the White House? Trump or his Chief of Staff had to have authorized the event in the first place. Where is the congrats for that? I've been trying to find out about the event but the news has nothing about the event other than Trump used a 'racial slur' "Pocahontas".

2017-11-29 11:15 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Thanks, I can't view utube at work but will take a look tonight. As I just posted, had it not been for the Pocahontas joke this event would have passed virtually unnoticed. I've been trying to find out why the event was held? Was it the xx anniversary of something? Did one of the last code talker die? Who initiated this event to honor the code talkers and invited them to the White House? Trump or his Chief of Staff had to have authorized the event in the first place. Where is the congrats for that? I've been trying to find out about the event but the news has nothing about the event other than Trump used a 'racial slur' "Pocahontas".

They were there to promote a national Code Talker museum they're trying to get built, which Trump pledged to help them out with. 

2017-11-29 11:20 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Nope.  It was inappropriate for all the reasons I have already stated.  Like I said, to me, it's not arguable. 

But, good try.

X2.

I don't even care that much about the racial slur/insult to Warren, it's just that it was completely inappropriate to a ceremony celebrating war heroes. 

I had so much secondhand embarrassment watching the whole video of his talk - it was uncomfortably awkward. Worse than the slur was how weird he sounded when he was telling them "you're special" -  like he's talking to a 5 year old, not a seasoned war veteran. And that portrait of Andrew Jackson - cringe!! Isn't there someone on the staff who is competent enough to swap out that painting for the day??

As an aside, every time we drive through Kayenta, we check out the code talkers "museum", because these guys are legit amazing. And every time we're there, I am disgusted that it is in a dirty old Burger King. I hope all the attention on this results in these guys finally getting a real museum. They deserve it. 

2017-11-29 11:41 AM
in reply to: Stacers

User image

Champion
Alabama
OK, I will concede the joke was inappropriate if someone will recognize the Trump WH for hosting the event in the first place!

People say and do crap all the time that is inappropriate, make jokes at the wrong time, say stuff that someone will take offense at, laugh at inappropriate times....ever get the giggles at a funeral? Such things are usually just blown off.....unless you are looking to make the person look bad. So instead of reporting on the Navajo Code Talkers and their attempt to get a museum, and all the heroic things they did and how the WH hosted a special ceremony to honor these 3 Navajo Indians.......all the media is reporting on is "Pocahontas". So sick of the media's hatred of Trump. Inappropriate? OK, fine...so f'ing what?! Not exactly going to change the course of history!
2017-11-29 1:04 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

OK, I will concede the joke was inappropriate if someone will recognize the Trump WH for hosting the event in the first place!

People say and do crap all the time that is inappropriate, make jokes at the wrong time, say stuff that someone will take offense at, laugh at inappropriate times....ever get the giggles at a funeral? Such things are usually just blown off.....unless you are looking to make the person look bad. So instead of reporting on the Navajo Code Talkers and their attempt to get a museum, and all the heroic things they did and how the WH hosted a special ceremony to honor these 3 Navajo Indians.......all the media is reporting on is "Pocahontas". So sick of the media's hatred of Trump. Inappropriate? OK, fine...so f'ing what?! Not exactly going to change the course of history!

OMG, what's next? Throw Roy Moore overboard?
2017-11-29 1:06 PM

User image

Pro

The introductions of the three men is absolutely incredible. One of them had to swim to the beach at Tarawa after his landing craft was destroyed, and was later was shot fighting on Tinian. The man who fought at Iwo Jima later joined the Army to fight in the Korean War. They, and your grandfather, have my utmost respect.

I guess my Grandpa wouldn't mind me re-telling one of the few stories he told me about the landing at Tarawa.  He was only 18 years old and just recently out of boot camp.  He told me that the shelling from the Island was so severe that the landing-craft drivers were stopping short, and that the water was much deeper than they expected.  Grandpa said that when he went into the water he went straight to the bottom, about 15 feet he said.  He told me that he dropped his rifle and had to shed his pack to  get back to the surface.  He said when he came up he was completely disoriented with all of the shelling, gunfire, and screaming, and that there was so much smoke he couldn't even tell which way to swim.  He said that many of his fellow Marines drowned before ever making it to the beach.  He said that he was starting to panic and was shoved back underwater by someone.  He paused for quite some time and then said, "look, I'm going to tell you what happened next and I don't care if you believe me or not, but it happened.  When I came back to the surface there was a sailor, maybe10 foot tall, in complete dress white uniform, standing on the water, pointing toward the beach. That's how I got there."  Of course, I had no idea what to say to that, so I was just looking at him.  After a short time he just said, "I can't explain it, but I know what I saw."  When he died at the age of 85 he had 74 grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and great-great grandchildren.  I am the oldest of them.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-11-29 1:12 PM
2017-11-29 1:24 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I guess my Grandpa wouldn't mind me re-telling one of the few stories he told me about the landing at Tarawa.  He was only 18 years old and just recently out of boot camp.  He told me that the shelling from the Island was so severe that the landing-craft drivers were stopping short, and that the water was much deeper than they expected.  Grandpa said that when he went into the water he went straight to the bottom, about 15 feet he said.  He told me that he dropped his rifle and had to shed his pack to  get back to the surface.  He said when he came up he was completely disoriented with all of the shelling, gunfire, and screaming, and that there was so much smoke he couldn't even tell which way to swim.  He said that many of his fellow Marines drowned before ever making it to the beach.  He said that he was starting to panic and was shoved back underwater by someone.  He paused for quite some time and then said, "look, I'm going to tell you what happened next and I don't care if you believe me or not, but it happened.  When I came back to the surface there was a sailor, maybe10 foot tall, in complete dress white uniform, standing on the water, pointing toward the beach. That's how I got there."  Of course, I had no idea what to say to that, so I was just looking at him.  After a short time he just said, "I can't explain it, but I know what I saw."  When he died at the age of 85 he had 74 grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and great-great grandchildren.  I am the oldest of them.

Wow!! Very cool story!
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Politically incorrect Rss Feed  

of 2