Other Resources The Political Joe » Flynn Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2017-12-04 10:04 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Flynn
I've been reading various news articles and opinions about Flynn 'flipping' and pleading guilty to lying to the FBI. Trying to stay objective I cannot help but be amused at the slants on what this means. On the left it means the noose is tightening and impeachment is at hand. To the right it means they have no case for anything serious. Someone opined that only charging him with lying meant they had no evidence to charge him with conspiracy or something more serious than perjury. And both sides question my he lied about something that was not illegal. I also read that is was odd they charged him with lying because that pretty much eliminates him as a witness for the prosecution. IOW, 'the guy lies and is lying now to get out of being punished for his previous lies!' Long ago, I said he was the obvious one to face charges so him being indicted did not surprise me.

I read an interesting analysis that said 'the odds of impeachment' for Trump has gone down because they seem to be focusing on obstruction of justice in firing Comey and that is debatably his constitutional authority and because it would require 23 GOPer in the House to sign on to impeachment. And after that, require 2/3rs of the Senate which also is very unlikely. Unless Mueller comes out with irrefutable evidence of a serious crime, he will not be impeached. And even it he is impeached, they have to sell it to the American people for no member of congress is going to buck his constituents, vote to impeach and go home to face a lynch mob. And if it is too complicated, the people will not support it. If it is 'subjective' as in "his INTENT was to obstruct" the people won't support it. Seems to me the only way he would be impeached is if they can PROVE unequivocally that he intentionally broke the law.....that is, in something like the Nixon tapes where Trump himself was caught on tape (or wire tap) incriminating himself. Also seems to be that if they had such evidence, they would have already indicted him.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

In a separate thought....one 'defense' that defense lawyers use it DELAY. There is nothing to be gained legally by rushing to court! Delay, stall, delay again....you never know what will happen. A key witness might commit suicide.....or get robbed and killed. People's memories get fuzzy. etc. So my thinking is, the longer it takes for Mueller to rap up the better is it for Trump, et al, legally. Not politically but legally. Also, it he is guilty and will eventually be impeached and thrown out off office, at least he's had almost a year now to MAGA. Read this in the news this morning and totally agree with Nickie (who, BTW will be the next VPOTUS I predict):

"Continuing his “America First” approach to foreign policy, President Donald Trump has pulled the U.S. out of a United Nations compact seeking global cooperation to protect the safety and rights of refugees and migrants.

Trump’s decision to end America’s “participation in the Global Compact on Migration” was disclosed on Saturday by the U.S. Mission to the U.N. Nikki Haley, the U.S. ambassador to the U.N., explained in a statement that the pact’s “global approach” was “simply not compatible with U.S. sovereignty.”

“Our decisions on immigration policies must always be made by Americans and Americans alone. We will decide how best to control our borders and who will be allowed to enter our country,” Haley said."

Go Trump go....and MAGA.....before they kick you out and put you behind bars! :-)

2017-12-04 11:54 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: Flynn
"It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. " Indeed.

I do feel sorry for those people working in the White House who do not have deep pockets but are having to pay handsomely for legal representation.
2017-12-04 12:29 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Oysterboy

"It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. " Indeed.

I do feel sorry for those people working in the White House who do not have deep pockets but are having to pay handsomely for legal representation.

I heard or read that Trump was paying it for them out of GOP funds. Evidently it is legal.
2017-12-04 2:00 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I heard that he was paying his and Don Jr. legal expenses out of campaign funds, not sure if everyone gets their lawyers covered. But it would only be fair...
2017-12-04 3:04 PM

Master
, California

Rational people on the left realize that impeachment isn't a reasonable goal, but instead they are focused on the 2018 elections.

1) because impeachment isn't going anywhere unless the Democrats get 67 seats in the Senate and that isn't going to happen.

2) *anything* causing Trump to leave office early (short of a heart attack) would just cause right wing media to go apesh*t.

The correct way to defeat Trump (or not) is at the ballot box.  If Mueller's investigation roots out some corruption in the meantime, so be it.

2017-12-04 3:09 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by spudone

Rational people on the left realize that impeachment isn't a reasonable goal, but instead they are focused on the 2018 elections.

1) because impeachment isn't going anywhere unless the Democrats get 67 seats in the Senate and that isn't going to happen.

2) *anything* causing Trump to leave office early (short of a heart attack) would just cause right wing media to go apesh*t.

The correct way to defeat Trump (or not) is at the ballot box.  If Mueller's investigation roots out some corruption in the meantime, so be it.

Well said. Totally agree.

2017-12-04 3:40 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Rogillio

Agree as well.  The only unfortunate thing is according to my FB feed the rational people on the left are becoming a minority. 
It's really hard to say anything even slightly in support of Trump without getting attacked from every corner.

2017-12-04 3:49 PM
in reply to: tuwood

Master
, California

Originally posted by tuwood

Agree as well.  The only unfortunate thing is according to my FB feed the rational people on the left are becoming a minority. 
It's really hard to say anything even slightly in support of Trump without getting attacked from every corner.

Some of that is people being purely over the top and emotional.  But others are tactical - trying to leverage the emotional people into actually showing up at a midterm election.  Which is something the Democrats traditionally have problems with.

People need to get it through their brains that Congress is where changes can really occur.

2017-12-04 3:50 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Tony, I think you have to separate the vocal minority on the left from the majority who just shrug and go about their daily lives. I think the same can be said on the right, many continue to support him but are subdued given much of what has happened since he took office.

The one thing I can say, as a left leaning centrist, he never even tried to garner my support. Never even tried, and this is reflected in this approval ratings. I will take my tax break, tho. . Thanks grandkids.
2017-12-04 3:52 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

People need to get it through their brains that Congress is where changes can really occur.

Nope, the Supreme Court is where changes are enacted. Citizens United perfect example.
2017-12-04 3:53 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

To the original post about Flynn, I've almost felt sorry for my liberal friends because they had a serious whiplash moment the other day.  ABCNews won the award for fake news of the year when they misrepresented that Flynn would testify Trump told him to contact the Russians during the campaign.  After seeing their report crashed the stock market, they issued a correction that he was instructed to contact the Russians (and several other world leaders) after the election and then the White House confirmed that they sought and received permission from the Obama administration for these contacts.  #oops

Another interesting thing I read was that Flynns plea deal was conditional on them prosecuting somebody else and there's starting to be a lot of pressure on the things Hillary was doing with Russia during the Obama administration.  I'm not entirely convinced that his investigation isn't going to go places where the Democrats are not going to like what he finds. 

Mueller gets a lot of mud slung his way, but so far I don't really have anything bad to say about what he's doing.

2017-12-04 3:55 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Some of that is people being purely over the top and emotional.  But others are tactical - trying to leverage the emotional people into actually showing up at a midterm election.  Which is something the Democrats traditionally have problems with.

Yeah, there's definitely a lot of emotion out there.  I truly try to educate people when they're obviously wrong, but they're so wrapped up in the emotions of everything I can't get through.

2017-12-04 3:56 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Again, I look forward to seeing what happens here. I'd rather be on my side of the isle than yours Tony, but it could just all go poof in our faces and we end up with squat. Kinda doubt it tho.
2017-12-04 4:02 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Oysterboy Tony, I think you have to separate the vocal minority on the left from the majority who just shrug and go about their daily lives. I think the same can be said on the right, many continue to support him but are subdued given much of what has happened since he took office. The one thing I can say, as a left leaning centrist, he never even tried to garner my support. Never even tried, and this is reflected in this approval ratings. I will take my tax break, tho. . Thanks grandkids.

I know that everyone likes to talk about his approval ratings being low, but according to rasmussen he's been bouncing around the low to mid 40's for quite a while and that's exactly where he was when he won the election.  My support has done nothing but grown for him since he's been in office and all the Trump supporters I know couldn't be more happy with what he's doing.  I even have several 'never Trumper" friends who thought he was a democrat in sheeps clothing that wouldn't vote for him.  They're now more in love with him than I am because of what he's doing.

It really seems like the left and the media is judging Trump on the goofy things he says and tweets.  (yes I agree he does goofy crap there).
However, the Republican base and his supporters are judging him by what he's actually doing and it's amazing.

My prediction is that if the tax cut gets over the goal line with the 20% corp rate in tact, then the economy will explode in a way we haven't seen since the 90's and he will breeze through reelection in 2020 no matter who runs against him.  Even without the tax cuts, the economy and stock market have been booming.  It's going to be insane with the tax cuts.

2017-12-04 4:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Floriduh

Originally posted by Oysterboy Tony, I think you have to separate the vocal minority on the left from the majority who just shrug and go about their daily lives. I think the same can be said on the right, many continue to support him but are subdued given much of what has happened since he took office. The one thing I can say, as a left leaning centrist, he never even tried to garner my support. Never even tried, and this is reflected in this approval ratings. I will take my tax break, tho. . Thanks grandkids.

I know that everyone likes to talk about his approval ratings being low, but according to rasmussen he's been bouncing around the low to mid 40's for quite a while and that's exactly where he was when he won the election.  My support has done nothing but grown for him since he's been in office and all the Trump supporters I know couldn't be more happy with what he's doing.  I even have several 'never Trumper" friends who thought he was a democrat in sheeps clothing that wouldn't vote for him.  They're now more in love with him than I am because of what he's doing.

It really seems like the left and the media is judging Trump on the goofy things he says and tweets.  (yes I agree he does goofy crap there).
However, the Republican base and his supporters are judging him by what he's actually doing and it's amazing.

My prediction is that if the tax cut gets over the goal line with the 20% corp rate in tact, then the economy will explode in a way we haven't seen since the 90's and he will breeze through reelection in 2020 no matter who runs against him.  Even without the tax cuts, the economy and stock market have been booming.  It's going to be insane with the tax cuts.

• .. if you believe in trickle down dogma. We'll see.

• As for the other comments, travel to the blue states, not much love there. Pretty tired of the BS tweeting and puffery.

Rasmussen? Might as well ask Sean Hannity to run the poll. Real numbers are in the mid-to-high 30's. https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_a...

Edited by Oysterboy 2017-12-04 4:12 PM
    2017-12-04 4:33 PM

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

... if you believe in trickle down dogma. We'll see. As for the other comments, travel to the blue states, not much love there. Pretty tired of the BS tweeting and puffery. Rasmussen? Might as well ask Sean Hannity to run the poll. Real numbers are in the mid-to-high 30's. https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_a...

No question his support is low in blue states, and I would honestly be shocked if it wasn't.  He's actually doing what he said he was going to. 

Rasmussen was the most accurate during the election while the majority of the rest were WAY off.  That's the only reason I use it.  Plus I figure he uses a consistent methodology and likely the same people each day.  In general though I take all polls with a BIG grain of salt.

It's not about trickle down or trickle up economics it's about putting more money back into the economy.  the personal tax cuts are basically going to put $2k+ back in the pockets of the majority of taxpaying Americans and the 15% corp tax cut will go directly to the bottom line of all profitable businesses.  All that money is going to go directly into the economy no matter where it enters at.
    Remember, the government scrapes off a percentage of our money every time it changes hands.  Company earns money (government takes a cut) company pays employees (government takes a cut) employees earn money (government takes cut) employees spend money (government takes a cut) companies earn money ...
    So by reducing taxes anywhere along that chain it keeps it in circulation for the economy versus taking it off the table.
    There's no way the economy can't grow with the tax cut in place.  It's economically impossible.

2017-12-04 5:18 PM

User image

Champion
    Alabama

... if you believe in trickle down dogma. We'll see. As for the other comments, travel to the blue states, not much love there. Pretty tired of the BS tweeting and puffery. Rasmussen? Might as well ask Sean Hannity to run the poll. Real numbers are in the mid-to-high 30's. https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_a...

No question his support is low in blue states, and I would honestly be shocked if it wasn't.  He's actually doing what he said he was going to. 

Rasmussen was the most accurate during the election while the majority of the rest were WAY off.  That's the only reason I use it.  Plus I figure he uses a consistent methodology and likely the same people each day.  In general though I take all polls with a BIG grain of salt.

It's not about trickle down or trickle up economics it's about putting more money back into the economy.  the personal tax cuts are basically going to put $2k+ back in the pockets of the majority of taxpaying Americans and the 15% corp tax cut will go directly to the bottom line of all profitable businesses.  All that money is going to go directly into the economy no matter where it enters at.
    Remember, the government scrapes off a percentage of our money every time it changes hands.  Company earns money (government takes a cut) company pays employees (government takes a cut) employees earn money (government takes cut) employees spend money (government takes a cut) companies earn money ...
    So by reducing taxes anywhere along that chain it keeps it in circulation for the economy versus taking it off the table.
    There's no way the economy can't grow with the tax cut in place.  It's economically impossible.

I think you are exactly right. If the tax rates cause the economy to boom the dems will not be able to take back control and the know it which is why the dems and the media are so against the tax cuts. They want Trump to fail so the can say, “see, we told you so”. Stock market is soaring, unemployment is very low and when the tax cuts hit the economy will boom and that will be the trifecta that trumps Trump’s quirkiness.
    2017-12-04 5:51 PM

Master
    , California

Mueller gets a lot of mud slung his way, but so far I don't really have anything bad to say about what he's doing.

I really believe if Mueller finds nothing on a particular individual, he'll flat out say "I found nothing, show's over, move on".  He seems very meticulous.  I like that he doesn't leak anything to the press.

2017-12-04 7:02 PM

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

I really believe if Mueller finds nothing on a particular individual, he'll flat out say "I found nothing, show's over, move on".  He seems very meticulous.  I like that he doesn't leak anything to the press.

I tend to agree, until I see anything otherwise.  I know there were a bunch of "leaks" early, but I don't think they were coming from his camp.

2017-12-04 7:05 PM

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

Uh oh, if the USA Today is wanting to move on then that means they don't like the direction things are going.  ;-)

2017-12-04 8:32 PM

User image

Expert
    Floriduh
    "Stock market is soaring, unemployment is very low and when the tax cuts hit the economy will boom and that will be the trifecta that trumps Trump’s quirkiness."

Again, we will see what the effects of the tax cuts will be on the economy, boom is not a given, at least according to many well-respected economists.
    And I guess one man's quirky is another mans dangerously deranged and unhinged behavior.

2017-12-04 8:53 PM

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Oysterboy "Stock market is soaring, unemployment is very low and when the tax cuts hit the economy will boom and that will be the trifecta that trumps Trump’s quirkiness." Again, we will see what the effects of the tax cuts will be on the economy, boom is not a given, at least according to many well-respected economists. And I guess one man's quirky is another mans dangerously deranged and unhinged behavior.

I know that economists have said it won't, but I truly don't understand how they come to that conclusion.  Admittedly my economics experience comes from micro and macro economics in college and the real world so I'm not an academic by a long stretch.
    However, for my business as an example we sell technology products to companies.  If these companies get an instantaneous bottom line increase of 15%, then they have 15% more money to invest in their business (or take for profit).  So for me, I see this as a massive boom for my business because companies will have more money to spend period.
    Obviously if I sell more stuff, I make more money and would generally hire more people and with my own tax savings have more money to either invest in company growth or infrastructure, etc.  I know I'm describing trickle down economics, which many people for some inexplicable reason don't believe works but I truly don't understand how it cannot work.  The only way it wouldn't work is if every single person and company that got a tax break decided to stick the money in a mattress and not spend it on anything.

All that being said, I absolutely agree with you that we shall see how it works.  I'm in the camp that believes the Democrats know for certain this is going to work well because if it wasn't going to work well they'd be all for it.  If it hurts the working class as they're charging then Trump will have zero chance of reelection.  The majority of his base is working/middle class people with jobs that pay taxes.

2017-12-05 5:27 AM

User image

Expert
    Floriduh

Originally posted by Oysterboy "Stock market is soaring, unemployment is very low and when the tax cuts hit the economy will boom and that will be the trifecta that trumps Trump’s quirkiness." Again, we will see what the effects of the tax cuts will be on the economy, boom is not a given, at least according to many well-respected economists. And I guess one man's quirky is another mans dangerously deranged and unhinged behavior.

I know that economists have said it won't, but I truly don't understand how they come to that conclusion.  Admittedly my economics experience comes from micro and macro economics in college and the real world so I'm not an academic by a long stretch.
    However, for my business as an example we sell technology products to companies.  If these companies get an instantaneous bottom line increase of 15%, then they have 15% more money to invest in their business (or take for profit).  So for me, I see this as a massive boom for my business because companies will have more money to spend period.
    Obviously if I sell more stuff, I make more money and would generally hire more people and with my own tax savings have more money to either invest in company growth or infrastructure, etc.  I know I'm describing trickle down economics, which many people for some inexplicable reason don't believe works but I truly don't understand how it cannot work.  The only way it wouldn't work is if every single person and company that got a tax break decided to stick the money in a mattress and not spend it on anything.

All that being said, I absolutely agree with you that we shall see how it works.  I'm in the camp that believes the Democrats know for certain this is going to work well because if it wasn't going to work well they'd be all for it.  If it hurts the working class as they're charging then Trump will have zero chance of reelection.  The majority of his base is working/middle class people with jobs that pay taxes.

The question is how that "extra" money in the economy gets added to the economy. In the last decade, the money taken from the public sector and placed back in the public sector has gone to top earners and has stayed there through stock buy-backs, increased dividends, and outsized bonuses to executives. Whether the bolus of cash that will come from the current cuts will change this behavior and drive raising wages (the key missing part of the current economy) is yet to be seen. Remember, while many (me certainly and I bet you as well) have benefitted from the market surge, about 50% of people in US do not have money in the market and will only see a benefit from raising wages.

The other piece is fundamentally interesting: The right side of the isle will argue that the surging economy will override Trump's "quirkyness" and drive GOP success in 2018 and 2020. The left hand side of the isle will argue that this quirkyness will be the overriding driver of behavior at the polls.
    2017-12-05 9:36 AM

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

The question is how that "extra" money in the economy gets added to the economy. In the last decade, the money taken from the public sector and placed back in the public sector has gone to top earners and has stayed there through stock buy-backs, increased dividends, and outsized bonuses to executives. Whether the bolus of cash that will come from the current cuts will change this behavior and drive raising wages (the key missing part of the current economy) is yet to be seen. Remember, while many (me certainly and I bet you as well) have benefitted from the market surge, about 50% of people in US do not have money in the market and will only see a benefit from raising wages. The other piece is fundamentally interesting: The right side of the isle will argue that the surging economy will override Trump's "quirkyness" and drive GOP success in 2018 and 2020. The left hand side of the isle will argue that this quirkyness will be the overriding driver of behavior at the polls.

I feel that even money being added only to the upper echelons helps people out because the money still has to go somewhere.  Stock buybacks takes money from the company and gives it to shareholders (they have to put it somewhere).  Big bonuses are typically spent on big ticket items like planes, yachts, vacations, etc. which all dump money into the economy and employ people.  I understand it's a bit of an academic discussion that's hard for either of us to prove so we both will find out.
    I did do a little digging after a friend said that trickle down "never works" and I was curious myself to try and find examples of it working or not working.  What I concluded is that our economy is so convoluted with so many moving parts that it's next to impossible to tell unless the cuts are drastic.  The only example I could find then was during the Reagan tax cuts where he took the corporate tax rate from 46% to the current 35% and we all know what happened with the decade that followed them.  However, trying to be balanced it's still hard to say that the tax cuts led to the additional R&D that lead to the innovation that lead to the jobs and economic growth.  So even then it's hard to say definitively that it worked, but I can say that it's more likely than not that it didn't have a negative effect.

As for Trumps support, I can only really speak for myself and those in my friend circle who also like him.  The quirkiness that the left attacks him for is a something we actually like.  I LOVE that he attacks the media when they lie, I LOVE that he calls people out when they try to slander or libel him.  We've been sick and tired of Republicans taking the high road and just getting pummeled in the public square for decades and have dreamed of a fighter like Trump.  So, it's not at all that his quirkiness needs to be overridden.  It's a core aspect of his support, IMHO
    If you go to sites that are pro trump such as reddit.com/r/The_Donald you'll see that he's a legend because of his "sh** posting".  Basically it's a subtle form of trolling ones adversaries that is monumentally effective on social media and among younger generations.  Everybody thinks he's an unhinged lunatic, but I feel it's quite deliberate and helps him grow his support among younger demographics.

2017-12-05 10:18 AM

User image

Veteran
    St. Louis

Because they forgot about the spending cuts that are supposed to go along with their tax cuts, so now there's multiple reports that have concluded it will add over a trillion dollars to the national debt.  And that's assuming we don't end up in a war with Rocket Man. 

Wasn't that long ago when Obama was running up the deficit and debt that the GOP was preaching balanced budgets and fiscal responsibility. Weird how that went out the window when they came into power.

New Thread
    Other Resources The Political Joe » Flynn Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Flynn won't comply with sobpoena Pages: 1 2

Started by Rogillio
    Views: 1388 Posts: 26

2020-04-30 11:39 AM Left Brain