BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2018-02-22 8:20 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED
Originally posted by jmkizer

Question of the week:

Who has a power meter? Do you find it to be helpful with training? Do you find it t be helpful when racing?

I don't have one and if I am honest with my Manatee friends I haven't been on my bike in over 12 months, he is now hanging upside down from the roof in the garage and I feel a little bit guilty about something so nice being there but...

I have contemplated selling him but I know I will get next to nothing for him and who knows triathlons might hold some appeal again next summer.

2018-02-22 8:50 PM
in reply to: #5238537

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina

Question of the week:

Who has a power meter? Do you find it to be helpful with training? Do you find it t be helpful when racing?

I have done a lot of research & spoken with my coach regarding power, & I am going to bite the bullet & go with the GArmin Vector 3 pedals. Just waiting for them to become available on the Garmin site because I have a 35% off discount code my husband was able to get through his job on the PGA Tour. It's looking like late March.
2018-02-22 9:12 PM

User image

Expert

Question of the week:

No power meter mostly old school cadence, time, and distance. I have to admit I use virtual power on the trainer and it is very helpful as a measure for gains. I guess it would be the same with a real one. I keep flirting with the idea, but have not been able to pull the trigger.
2018-02-22 10:24 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Originally posted by abake

Question of the week:

I will be following this discussion with interest --- my coach emailed me on Wednesday asking if I would consider buying a power meter. I'm kind of torn on this, I think it would give me very good feedback and the people that I know who have one love their power meters. I'm leaning toward getting one but hate the thought of spending yet more money on a hobby.

I had a similar conversation with my coach except it was me asking if he thought I should get one. We decided it would not be a good idea for me because we know I would get crazy with the numbers. Meaning, every ride I would take I would be determined to blow up my previous stats. I would even do this on easy rides.

I don't even have a cadence sensor right now. The one positive about being an instrumental music teacher is that I have a built-in metronome.
2018-02-23 5:06 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Jacksonville, Florida
Autopause on Strava isn't working on my rides. Anyone else encountered this issue?
2018-02-23 5:23 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by fortissimo

Question of the week:

I will be following this discussion with interest --- my coach emailed me on Wednesday asking if I would consider buying a power meter. I'm kind of torn on this, I think it would give me very good feedback and the people that I know who have one love their power meters. I'm leaning toward getting one but hate the thought of spending yet more money on a hobby.

I had a similar conversation with my coach except it was me asking if he thought I should get one. We decided it would not be a good idea for me because we know I would get crazy with the numbers. Meaning, every ride I would take I would be determined to blow up my previous stats. I would even do this on easy rides.

I don't even have a cadence sensor right now. The one positive about being an instrumental music teacher is that I have a built-in metronome.

Oh that's funny about the built-in metronome!!!
I can see how having this kind of data could work against a person.

2018-02-23 5:24 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by glfprncs

Question of the week:

I have done a lot of research & spoken with my coach regarding power, & I am going to bite the bullet & go with the GArmin Vector 3 pedals. Just waiting for them to become available on the Garmin site because I have a 35% off discount code my husband was able to get through his job on the PGA Tour. It's looking like late March.

Nice!!!
2018-02-23 6:58 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs Originally posted by jmkizer Question of the week: Who has a power meter? Do you find it to be helpful with training? Do you find it t be helpful when racing? I have done a lot of research & spoken with my coach regarding power, & I am going to bite the bullet & go with the GArmin Vector 3 pedals. Just waiting for them to become available on the Garmin site because I have a 35% off discount code my husband was able to get through his job on the PGA Tour. It's looking like late March.

thats one of the 3 im considering too. If I had a 35% discount I’d probably pull the trigger. 

2018-02-23 7:00 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella

Question of the week:

No power meter mostly old school cadence, time, and distance. I have to admit I use virtual power on the trainer and it is very helpful as a measure for gains. I guess it would be the same with a real one. I keep flirting with the idea, but have not been able to pull the trigger.

this is exactly where I have been, but am starting to lean toward getting one; especially if clever training offers 20% off soon!

2018-02-23 8:00 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Question of the week:

this is exactly where I have been, but am starting to lean toward getting one; especially if clever training offers 20% off soon!

I have PowerTap P1s pedals (the single sided version). I like them well enough and they are super easy to move between bikes. I also like the use of off the shelf batteries.  I move the pedals between road/tri bikes.  The cross bike has no sensors!

Like some have mentioned, I have an issue with staring at numbers when I ride and find that it can be frustrating outside.

It is helpful, especially on the trainer. I like that it tells me  the work that I'm doing NOW versus heart rate or perceived exertion which tells you what you just did. It also kind of takes the weather out of the equation -- you know how it is, hot and humid feels harder but the PM is weather agnostic. .

I understand how VI works not not burning matches and stuff but I still don't understand how to not overdo hills when riding outside. I mean, I still need to get up the hill, right? So how to do that while keeping my power relatively even? I understand the theory of it but the actual execution eludes me.

2018-02-23 8:06 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Question of the week:

Clever Training does a 20% off coupon about twice a year (near Black Friday and about May 1st). They have a membership like REI (pay once, member forever) and the fee is $4.99. I got my both my PowerTap pedals and smart trainer using the 20% off coupon so I think that I got my $4.99 out of it! 

(There are some exclusions and, to be honest, Garmin may be on that list. You still get a "dividend" type thing for those items but there's nothing like money off the top.)

2018-02-23 8:06 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs Originally posted by jmkizer Question of the week: Who has a power meter? Do you find it to be helpful with training? Do you find it t be helpful when racing? I have done a lot of research & spoken with my coach regarding power, & I am going to bite the bullet & go with the GArmin Vector 3 pedals. Just waiting for them to become available on the Garmin site because I have a 35% off discount code my husband was able to get through his job on the PGA Tour. It's looking like late March.

thats one of the 3 im considering too. If I had a 35% discount I’d probably pull the trigger. 

No kidding! That's one heck of a discount!

2018-02-23 8:08 AM
in reply to: kbhanson3

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by kbhanson3 Autopause on Strava isn't working on my rides. Anyone else encountered this issue?

Maybe? Did you pause your watch or were you recording your activity in Strava?

During my trainer ride on Wednesday, my bike started to make a noise, I paused my Garmin to investigate, restarted the ride. Paused time added back in on Strava. Is that what you mean?

2018-02-23 8:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Question of the week:

I have PowerTap P1s pedals (the single sided version). I like them well enough and they are super easy to move between bikes. I also like the use of off the shelf batteries.  I move the pedals between road/tri bikes.  The cross bike has no sensors!

Like some have mentioned, I have an issue with staring at numbers when I ride and find that it can be frustrating outside.

It is helpful, especially on the trainer. I like that it tells me  the work that I'm doing NOW versus heart rate or perceived exertion which tells you what you just did. It also kind of takes the weather out of the equation -- you know how it is, hot and humid feels harder but the PM is weather agnostic. .

I understand how VI works not not burning matches and stuff but I still don't understand how to not overdo hills when riding outside. I mean, I still need to get up the hill, right? So how to do that while keeping my power relatively even? I understand the theory of it but the actual execution eludes me.

This is what makes me question the need for a PM - numbers are cool and all, but how do I know what to do with them?!  When I tried to use a heart rate monitor I spent all my time looking at the watch to see what the numbers were and eventually didn't care - I just ran according to feel and or what my plan called for that day, eg, tempo, pace, ez.   I'm afraid I'll do that with a PM - oooh cool numbers, but I need to get up sugar loaf mountain without slowing down so much I fall over, so who cares what the numbers say!

I haven't thought about putting them on my dedicated trainer bike, but if they are that easy to move around that could work. 

And, i know at least 2 coaches who don't believe in training/racing with either a PM or heart rate -siri lindley and rebecca keat.  Their idea is that you get too tied up in the numbers and stay in the gray zone too much.  There is no real benefit for training in the gray zone. There's more to it than that, but I have to run to a meeting!!

Edited b/c I can't spell this morning and I thought of something else!

Edited by amd723 2018-02-23 8:16 AM
2018-02-23 8:33 AM

User image

Jacksonville, Florida

Originally posted by kbhanson3 Autopause on Strava isn't working on my rides. Anyone else encountered this issue?

Maybe? Did you pause your watch or were you recording your activity in Strava?

During my trainer ride on Wednesday, my bike started to make a noise, I paused my Garmin to investigate, restarted the ride. Paused time added back in on Strava. Is that what you mean?

I was recording in the Strava app. I stopped several times at intersections and once for a gear issue and the app wasn't pausing automatically. I stopped it manually a couple of times but forgot to most of the time. No Garmin gear for me yet.
2018-02-23 8:52 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Question of the week:

This is what makes me question the need for a PM - numbers are cool and all, but how do I know what to do with them?!  When I tried to use a heart rate monitor I spent all my time looking at the watch to see what the numbers were and eventually didn't care - I just ran according to feel and or what my plan called for that day, eg, tempo, pace, ez.   I'm afraid I'll do that with a PM - oooh cool numbers, but I need to get up sugar loaf mountain without slowing down so much I fall over, so who cares what the numbers say!

I haven't thought about putting them on my dedicated trainer bike, but if they are that easy to move around that could work. 

And, i know at least 2 coaches who don't believe in training/racing with either a PM or heart rate -siri lindley and rebecca keat.  Their idea is that you get too tied up in the numbers and stay in the gray zone too much.  There is no real benefit for training in the gray zone. There's more to it than that, but I have to run to a meeting!!

Edited b/c I can't spell this morning and I thought of something else!

I think that a lot of my issues with the power meter stem from the fact that I spent years going on group rides where hills were clearly put there to be ATTACKED. If you attack the hills in an long distance tri, though, you are burning matches that you can't afford to give away. Part of it is that I need to adjust my approach -- at least when I am on my tri bike!

2018-02-23 9:22 AM

User image

Originally posted by TXTriRook

Question of the week:

Agree, good one! I don't have one. I ride mostly on my Smart trainer/Zwift which shows power but when outside or racing I prefer to go off my speed and HR (for now ).

Haha! You prefer to? Without a PM, is there a choice? 

True and many of you raise good points in favor of getting one. Just the thought of having to ride my bike to hit a number takes away a lot of the fun of it for me. I know there are some pros out there that ride without one too. I have a general idea of how fast I should be going relative to how much effort I’m putting in which for now is good enough for me.
2018-02-23 9:49 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Question of the week:

Agree, good one! I don't have one. I ride mostly on my Smart trainer/Zwift which shows power but when outside or racing I prefer to go off my speed and HR (for now ).

True and many of you raise good points in favor of getting one. Just the thought of having to ride my bike to hit a number takes away a lot of the fun of it for me. I know there are some pros out there that ride without one too. I have a general idea of how fast I should be going relative to how much effort I’m putting in which for now is good enough for me.

I agree that when you are overly focused on the numbers, it can suck some of the fun out of it. OTOH, I think that it can be a really good tool for long course where it's not about putting up the "best" or "fastest" bike split you're capable of. Rather, it's about producing the optimum bike split. Optimum sets up the run. For me, I think the issue is about execution.

2018-02-23 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Question of the week:

I agree that when you are overly focused on the numbers, it can suck some of the fun out of it. OTOH, I think that it can be a really good tool for long course where it's not about putting up the "best" or "fastest" bike split you're capable of. Rather, it's about producing the optimum bike split. Optimum sets up the run. For me, I think the issue is about execution.

and this is the reason I’m considering one!

2018-02-23 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Question of the week:

No PM for me. I would only get one if I was going to be coached and I had a whole different outlook on racing. I can see the issue with "chasing numbers". I would have to learn a minimum on the use of the tool and let the coach do the analysis. From what I have read, pedal based systems have made strides recently, which would probably be what I would look for. Hub based make sense from a single use standpoint, but moving that from one bike to another and then doing the calibration dance would be more hassle than it is worth (in my pee sized brain).

2018-02-23 10:37 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Question of the week:

I feel the same as Justin... I have a Tacx trainer and aim to hit power numbers on intervals (honestly, mostly just for variety - riding at one speed on the trainer is super boring), but have never used power outdoors. I'm also sort of cheap, so buying the Tacx for this training season was my one big purchase since I'll be doing most of my training indoors - I don't want to spend additional dollars on another power source for outdoors. I would rather focus on the fun when riding outdoors, and am comfortable with my speeds as they are (I know I am not "fast" but I'm OK with that).

2018-02-23 10:55 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

February 24-25
Jen - Arctic 10k
Stacey - Swissmurdie Trail 12k on Sunday

February 28 is Lisa's birthday

2018-02-23 10:59 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Racing Manatees!!!

February 24-25
Jen - Arctic 10k

Good luck racing Manatees! Happy early birthday Lisa!
2018-02-23 11:35 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

February 24-25
Jen - Arctic 10k

Good luck racing Manatees! Happy early birthday Lisa!

Go Jen and Stacey!

Happy early bday Lisa!

2018-02-23 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Anyone use cliff shot blocks or gels? I don’t like to eat while training or racing for various reasons, one being most food upsets my stomach - especially on the run. However, IM stuff actually requires I eat! I’m going to make an effort to use the cliff blocks and or gels- already tried the bars and they are a no go, and am looking to see which flavors are ok. So, if you use them, which do you like, or at least not hate?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13649 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 27484 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis