BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2018-02-19 3:43 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by kbhanson3

Anybody home?

I'm here! Wondering how our racers fared yesterday....

Well, this "racer" did okay. It was just a run for me. The day was absolutely perfect, sunny, cool to warm. I was not last, but pretty close to it. My times were un official because of some flaw in the timing chip. It made absolutely no difference to me. Of note, if I had decided to do the 10 K (that I had pondered) I would have been 3rd in my age group and gotten a wonderful mug. That was if I crawled the whole way. The best thing about getting older and smaller races. We met some really wonderful friends from out of town afterwards at a winery and then mexican for dinner.

cmgratulations on the almost 3d place! Sounds like a perfect race day and a perfect attitude !

2018-02-19 3:44 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by johnthecat

Anybody home?

Yes. Well...no..Actually at work. Ran my first 3 miles post recovery without any walk breaks and improved my pace a tiny bit. Things going in the right direction though still sloooooow. Waiting on my PT to finish so I can start hitting the pool. Didn't want to mess things up while that's still going on. Thinking about signing up for a super sprint mid April.

glad to see you are recovering well!

2018-02-20 7:41 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by ceilidh Sounds like the trip away would do your Mom good. Poor kitty, but at least.it isn't forever.

X2, I hope you get some time for just the two of you.

2018-02-20 12:50 PM
in reply to: kbhanson3

User image

Pennsylvania

Anybody home?

I was happy with my time, managing to shave 13 seconds off my course PR  without having that as an intended goal (I've been doing this race series on and off over the past 18 years with a long no-racing gap in the early 2000s).  My goal was just to have a solid race and to beat January's race time which was very low hanging fruit considering at that time I had just gotten back to running after being sick.  I'm hoping to knock a little more time off for March's race.  Plus the reason I do the race, chicken corn soup, was very tasty as always as was the newer perk, a free beer at Funk E-Town brewery.

It was funny - Saturday we had close to 5" of snow but Sunday it warmed up so much that the roads were clear and mostly dry by race time (2 pm) and the temp was perfect, about 43*F and sunny.  Excellent racing weather!

2018-02-20 1:25 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Anybody home?

I was happy with my time, managing to shave 13 seconds off my course PR  without having that as an intended goal (I've been doing this race series on and off over the past 18 years with a long no-racing gap in the early 2000s).  My goal was just to have a solid race and to beat January's race time which was very low hanging fruit considering at that time I had just gotten back to running after being sick.  I'm hoping to knock a little more time off for March's race.  Plus the reason I do the race, chicken corn soup, was very tasty as always as was the newer perk, a free beer at Funk E-Town brewery.

It was funny - Saturday we had close to 5" of snow but Sunday it warmed up so much that the roads were clear and mostly dry by race time (2 pm) and the temp was perfect, about 43*F and sunny.  Excellent racing weather!

A PR, good soup, free beer, and beautiful weather - sounds perfect!!  Congrats on the PR and good luck knocking more time off next month!

I always am amazed when i see races that start later than 7:30!  If we start any later than that in Florida we will die!!

2018-02-20 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Anybody home?

Nice progress!

2018-02-20 1:28 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Anybody home?

A PR, good soup, free beer, and beautiful weather - sounds perfect!!  Congrats on the PR and good luck knocking more time off next month!

I always am amazed when i see races that start later than 7:30!  If we start any later than that in Florida we will die!!

If you had 5" of snow, you'd all die too!

2018-02-20 1:29 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Anybody home?

true story!

2018-02-20 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Anybody home?

true story!

This can't be overstated. 

2018-02-20 1:34 PM

User image

Jacksonville, Florida

Anybody home?

true story!

Indeed. But 43 and sunny would do just fine. Sounds like it was a great day!
2018-02-21 9:25 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Anybody home?

They tend to start races a little later in the winter months, say 8, 8:30, 9 so it warms up a touch.  This race with its 2 pm start is an anomaly but I like it!

2018-02-21 9:31 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Anybody home?

They tend to start races a little later in the winter months, say 8, 8:30, 9 so it warms up a touch.  This race with its 2 pm start is an anomaly but I like it!

I've done some races in NC mountains that haven't started until late morning or sometime in the afternoon, I like it b/c it generally means cool weather, but late also means a messed up day and some logistical concerns like eating! 

2018-02-21 1:22 PM
in reply to: #5238128

User image

Champion
Bronze member
My race last.weekend started at 2:00. It has traditionally been cold and Oct, so the late start let's it warm up a bit.
2018-02-22 2:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Anybody home?

Same here especially if it was any time between October and April
2018-02-22 1:35 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Question of the week:

Who has a power meter? Do you find it to be helpful with training? Do you find it t be helpful when racing?

2018-02-22 2:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Question of the week:

Who has a power meter? Do you find it to be helpful with training? Do you find it t be helpful when racing?

Good question!

Edited by amd723 2018-02-22 2:03 PM

2018-02-22 3:37 PM

User image

Question of the week:

Agree, good one! I don't have one. I ride mostly on my Smart trainer/Zwift which shows power but when outside or racing I prefer to go off my speed and HR (for now ).
2018-02-22 3:44 PM
in reply to: #5232372

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
4 days into taper, 9 days until the marathon, and who gets sick?

Every single big race, as soon as I get 2-3 weeks out, I get sick. This. Bites.
2018-02-22 3:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
So my 10 year old neice has started running with my Mum and E. She liked our team turtle jumpers and thought if she started running that maybe she could have one too. We are taking it easy with her and limiting her to the short run days 3 days a week - so no more than 5k and doing run walk. She is up to a 2/1 split now.

Mum said she can't keep up with her cause she is too fast. The other day mum rode her bike whil J ran and she let J wear her Garmin. Mum was complaining that J beat her 5k record and has messed up her stats

She has started her medal collection (mum has signed her up for some short virtual runs) and she has the goal of blitzing the field at her school cross country race in September. She wants to be the first person in the history of the event to be able to run all the way up the massive sand dune (almost the entire run is in sand. I think it is 2-3k long).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. J also swims in the local swim club and plays tennis, but she seems to have really taken to running. She is even contemplating spending her life savings on her own running watch.

So thank you Manatees your influence is reaching to the next generation.

Attachments
----------------
499C7893-5A13-4B05-A101-BB23C482AE7F.jpeg (1358KB - 4 downloads)
2018-02-22 6:03 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by TXTriRook

Question of the week:

Agree, good one! I don't have one. I ride mostly on my Smart trainer/Zwift which shows power but when outside or racing I prefer to go off my speed and HR (for now ).

Haha! You prefer to? Without a PM, is there a choice? 

2018-02-22 6:04 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs 4 days into taper, 9 days until the marathon, and who gets sick? Every single big race, as soon as I get 2-3 weeks out, I get sick. This. Bites.

Take care!

2018-02-22 6:57 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs 4 days into taper, 9 days until the marathon, and who gets sick? Every single big race, as soon as I get 2-3 weeks out, I get sick. This. Bites.

oh no, get well quickly!

2018-02-22 6:57 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK So my 10 year old neice has started running with my Mum and E. She liked our team turtle jumpers and thought if she started running that maybe she could have one too. We are taking it easy with her and limiting her to the short run days 3 days a week - so no more than 5k and doing run walk. She is up to a 2/1 split now. Mum said she can't keep up with her cause she is too fast. The other day mum rode her bike whil J ran and she let J wear her Garmin. Mum was complaining that J beat her 5k record and has messed up her stats She has started her medal collection (mum has signed her up for some short virtual runs) and she has the goal of blitzing the field at her school cross country race in September. She wants to be the first person in the history of the event to be able to run all the way up the massive sand dune (almost the entire run is in sand. I think it is 2-3k long). Any tips would be greatly appreciated. J also swims in the local swim club and plays tennis, but she seems to have really taken to running. She is even contemplating spending her life savings on her own running watch. So thank you Manatees your influence is reaching to the next generation.

yay, for your niece!

2018-02-22 7:55 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Question of the week:

I will be following this discussion with interest --- my coach emailed me on Wednesday asking if I would consider buying a power meter. I'm kind of torn on this, I think it would give me very good feedback and the people that I know who have one love their power meters. I'm leaning toward getting one but hate the thought of spending yet more money on a hobby.
2018-02-22 7:56 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by StaceyK

So my 10 year old neice has started running with my Mum and E. She liked our team turtle jumpers and thought if she started running that maybe she could have one too. We are taking it easy with her and limiting her to the short run days 3 days a week - so no more than 5k and doing run walk. She is up to a 2/1 split now.

Mum said she can't keep up with her cause she is too fast. The other day mum rode her bike whil J ran and she let J wear her Garmin. Mum was complaining that J beat her 5k record and has messed up her stats

She has started her medal collection (mum has signed her up for some short virtual runs) and she has the goal of blitzing the field at her school cross country race in September. She wants to be the first person in the history of the event to be able to run all the way up the massive sand dune (almost the entire run is in sand. I think it is 2-3k long).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. J also swims in the local swim club and plays tennis, but she seems to have really taken to running. She is even contemplating spending her life savings on her own running watch.

So thank you Manatees your influence is reaching to the next generation.

Awww, that is fantastic!!! Yeah for your neice!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 13583 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363
Views: 27378 Posts: 712

2019-09-01 11:54 AM Troyh36

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis