User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Pakistan

Originally posted by mdg2003
Originally posted by tuwood

Oh, and on a total side note.  I was stationed on the USS Chandler (DDG-996) that was one of the 4 Kidd class destroyers that were built for the Iranian Navy.  However, after the bad guys took over the US kept the ships and put them in service for the US Navy.  We had a large room that was originally a goat locker (literally) to keep live animals for religious sacrifice.  We turned it into a weight room.  The air conditioners were also crazy good due to them being designed to operate full time in the gulf heat.

We were always on high alert for the Iranians attacking us due to it being "their" ship.

<<< Throws the BS flag!!!

lol, nope.  Total truth.

USS Chandler (DDG-996) was the final ship in the Kidd class of guided-missile destroyers operated by the U.S. Navy. Derived from the Spruance class, these vessels were designed for air defense in hot weather. She was named after Rear Admiral Theodore E. Chandler.

Originally named Andushirvan, the ship was originally ordered by the Shah of Iran, but was undelivered when the 1979 Iranian Revolution occurred. Subsequent to this, the U.S. Navy elected to commission her for service in the Persian Gulf and Mediterranean Sea, as she was equipped with heavy-duty air conditioning and was also well suited to filtering sand and the results from NBC warfare. She was commissioned in 1982.

Threw the flag on the goat locker...

hah, that's true too.  I don't know exactly what kind of animals they were supposed to have in it, but I believe it was goats.  Apparently as part of the religious diet they have to have meat that's freshly killed or something.  I'm not totally up on my islamic customs.

2018-01-04 10:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Floriduh
We had a large room that was originally a goat locker (literally) to keep live animals for religious sacrifice.  We turned it into a weight room. 

Not so much a "religious sacrifice", more like how animals need to be slaughtered according to the Koran:

"Animals must be alive and healthy at the time of slaughter and all blood is drained from the carcass. During the process, a Muslim will recite a dedication, know as tasmiya or shahada"

I had a Muslim kid who worked for me one summer and we had a long discussion on Halal meat over lunch one time.

Pulled this out of Wikipedia: "Kosher meats, which are consumed by Jews, are permitted to be eaten by Muslims. This is due to the similarity between both methods of slaughter and the similar principles of kosher meat which are still observed by some Jews today."

Edited by Oysterboy 2018-01-04 10:28 AM
2018-01-04 10:28 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro

They probably kept beer in there.

2018-01-04 10:32 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Oysterboy
Originally posted by tuwood We had a large room that was originally a goat locker (literally) to keep live animals for religious sacrifice.  We turned it into a weight room. 
Not so much a "religious sacrifice", more like how animals need to be slaughtered according to the Koran: "Animals must be alive and healthy at the time of slaughter and all blood is drained from the carcass. During the process, a Muslim will recite a dedication, know as tasmiya or shahada" I had a Muslim kid who worked for me one summer and we had a long discussion on Halal meat over lunch one time. Pulled this out of Wikipedia: "Kosher meats, which are consumed by Jews, are permitted to be eaten by Muslims. This is due to the similarity between both methods of slaughter and the similar principles of kosher meat which are still observed by some Jews today."

Yep, that's what I meant.  "religious sacrifice" sounds a little weirder now that I read it again.  They slaughtered them in accordance with their religious practice would maybe be a little more appropriate.

The moral of the story is that they carry live animals on their navy ships and we had a room that was specifically created for that purpose.  They wouldn't let us take our cows, so we just used it for a weight room.

2018-01-04 10:39 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

Originally posted by tuwood We had a large room that was originally a goat locker (literally) to keep live animals for religious sacrifice.  We turned it into a weight room. 
Not so much a "religious sacrifice", more like how animals need to be slaughtered according to the Koran: "Animals must be alive and healthy at the time of slaughter and all blood is drained from the carcass. During the process, a Muslim will recite a dedication, know as tasmiya or shahada" I had a Muslim kid who worked for me one summer and we had a long discussion on Halal meat over lunch one time. Pulled this out of Wikipedia: "Kosher meats, which are consumed by Jews, are permitted to be eaten by Muslims. This is due to the similarity between both methods of slaughter and the similar principles of kosher meat which are still observed by some Jews today."

Yep, that's what I meant.  "religious sacrifice" sounds a little weirder now that I read it again.  They slaughtered them in accordance with their religious practice would maybe be a little more appropriate.

The moral of the story is that they carry live animals on their navy ships and we had a room that was specifically created for that purpose.  They wouldn't let us take our cows, so we just used it for a weight room.

Makes more sense. The sacrifice part drew the flag.

Edited by mdg2003 2018-01-04 10:40 AM
2018-01-04 10:42 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Makes more sense. The sacrifice part drew the flag.

OK, penalty accepted.

2018-01-04 10:45 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
"Nikki Haley also told the press the Trump administration will not give funding to the Palestinians until they sit down at the table for peace negotiations with Israel."

Well done Trump/Haley!!

Edited by Rogillio 2018-01-04 10:46 AM

(IMG_0422.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0422.JPG (145KB - 6 downloads)
2018-01-04 11:45 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Hey, Let's not bring Steve McQueen into this chitshow.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Pakistan Rss Feed  

of 2