General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What should I be eating or not!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-09 4:46 AM

User image

New user
Cleethorpes
Subject: What should I be eating or not!!!
Anybody got any tips on eating for this type of training, any good diets etc???

2004-10-10 11:31 PM
in reply to: #70658

User image

Expert
Montreal
Subject: RE: What should I be eating or not!!!
Well I am going to be boring about this but it is the way I did it (55lbs so far since June) - A balanced diet with 60% of your calories coming from carbohydrates (avoid too many simple carbs, sugar/candy/chocolate), 30% from protein and the balance 10% from fat.

Figure out your RMR - Resting Metabolic Rate - http://www.virtualfitnesstrainer.com/cooltools/What_is_Your_Resting...

Then figure out how many calories you are using a day in addition to your RMR http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.html

Consume less calories than you expend.

Remember that studies have proven beyond all reasonable doubt that athletes consuming high protein/low carb diets do not have the same ability to reach higher ranges of VO2 max which most swimmers/cyclists/runners need to reach to train effectively. Don't be afraid of carbs. I am diabetic but my blood sugars have been under control even on this kind of a diet as long as I exercise regularly.
2004-10-11 3:31 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Thanks for the links D. So what kind of "caloric differential" have you tried to keep? 10% less, 20%? I took a quick look at my workouts this weekend and compared them to my caloric intake and I seem to be woefully lacking in calories (on the intake side). If I get 1500 to 1800 calories a day, I'm eating to the point where I can't even look at food until the next day. Currently, it's 5 to 6 small meals a day with approximately the same proportions that you have. Do you think my body might be going into "hibernation" mode? This might explain my 8 week plateau - I though it might be from the GU packet that I would take each day during my workouts, but calorie-wise, it would appear that it's really not that much. Thanks.

-Frank

Edited by scuba-punk 2004-10-11 3:32 PM
2004-10-11 4:27 PM
in reply to: #71295

User image

Expert
Montreal
Hey Frank,
I have been thinking about plateaus recently too.

I have been hovering between 199-201 for the last week and a bit. I have been toying with the idea of bumping up the calorie intake for a few days then dropping it back down to the 1500 - 1800 range. I have been thinking that it might kick things back into gear it might mean a couple of days where the weight bumps up but the payoff would be if I can slip past 199 on the way down.
2004-10-11 10:34 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
You first Actually, with the exception of feeling really off all of last week, I do feel my clothes getting looser and the numbers on the skinfold calipers and measuring tape are getting smaller too - so I can't be too far off the mark. I guess I'll see what the weigh-in brings this week and then start sneaking some GU on my long runs and hard bike rides next week.

-Frank
2004-10-15 8:35 PM

User image

Champion
MA
In the last 1.5 years while losing weight (lost 75 and have about 30 more to go), I have read many many books on weightloss and have found one fact interesting.

If you eat to few calories for over 72 hours (3 days), your body goes into self preservation mode which slows down your metabolism. An ideal way to maximize this effect is to eat normally at a caloric intake that maintains your weight and then cut down calories or be restrictive for 3 days and then go back to eatting in a way that maintains your weight. Doing this will allow you to eat normal most of the time, lose weight with a short term effort.

If you eat to few calories for a long time, your metabolism slows down. By alternating eatting normal and then restrictive for 72 hours, you keep your metabolism up which makes you lose more effectively in those 72 hours. Plus since you do not go into starvation/self preserving mode...it is not yo you dieting.

Kathy

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What should I be eating or not!!! Rss Feed