General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For the Ladies-Ponytail or Short hair? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-08-17 11:57 AM

User image

Master
Subject: For the Ladies-Ponytail or Short hair?
I've been a ponytail girl for the last 40+ years! I have shoulder length hair that I wear down for my "other" life at work. The rest of the time it is pulled back in a ponytail, which works great for running and cycling. Now that I swim before work I don't have time to dry my hair. So it is either go to work with a wet ponytail or find a new hair style. I'm a pretty low maintenance in the beauty dept. type.

Has anyone else made the switch from long to short hair for triathlons? Does it take longer to style short hair? Are you glad you cut your hair?

2007-08-17 12:09 PM
in reply to: #929497

User image

Expert
Haddam, CT
Subject: RE: For the Ladies-Ponytail or Short hair?

I've been rash and cut my long hair (twice) and was full of regret each time.  Nowdays, I go for the flip and clip french-twist thingy for work, on days when I swim before work.  It seems a notch more professional than the wet ponytail look.  I compromised very long hair for opting for long-ish (below the shoulders). 

Another trick: if you don't have time to fully blowdry at the gym, just do a 2 minute blow dry, and by the time you get to work (at least with my stick straight hair) its dry. 

2007-08-17 12:24 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
It takes longer to style short hair and have it look good.  Drying seems to be necessary.  Plus, you can't pull it back if you really want to.
2007-08-17 12:29 PM

New user

I LOVE short hair. I had a pixie cut for about 4 years and it was wash and go! Now that I have grown it out, I miss the ease of the short hair.
2007-08-17 12:34 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

Nowdays, I go for the flip and clip french-twist thingy for work, on days when I swim before work. 

Ditto.

I actually grew my hair for triathlon, as I find it easier to have the option of pulling it up.

2007-08-17 12:35 PM
in reply to: #929533

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I chopped my hair last summer and have never regretted it.  I never had super long hair and didn't care much about that, but had a chin-length bob for several years.  My hair used to take a lot of implements and about 20 minutes to style.  Now I can comb it with a plain comb (no pick, brush, etc. necessary), rub through a hair creme for lift, and blowdry.    If I comb first and then proceed with dressing, makeup, and everything else, the actually blowdrying only takes about 2 minutes and I just run my fingers through it.  Then I either do a quick spritz of hair spray or pomade for fancier occasions.

Now, by short I mean roughly 2-3 inches all around with pretty short in back.  I NEVER wish I could "pull it back", although my bang length changes and I will occasionally bobby pin that hair back.    I'm looking for a picture...

(hair.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
hair.jpg (13KB - 11 downloads)

2007-08-17 12:37 PM

User image

Pro
Without house
I'm growing my hair out, and definately find it easier to deal with as far as getting it under a swim cap.  And being able to put in a ponytail or pig tails for running/biking just adds to the ease (now if only my darn bangs will get past the really annoying always in my face phase, I'd love it...)
2007-08-17 12:42 PM
in reply to: #929552

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

That reminds me.  When I first got it cut (it's gotten shaggier) it was short enough I didn't even need a swim cap if I didn't want one.  Nice for a workout if I'm getting warm.  But it's still short enough to just pop the cap on and maybe tuck a tiny bit of hair behind my ears.

And I get a ton of compliments that I never got before.  My hair always looks "done", even though I've only spent a few minutes.  Before it was pony tails, etc, never looked pretty.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2007-08-17 12:43 PM
2007-08-17 12:47 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Mine is half way down my back right now but at the end of the season I'm chopping it all off (and donating it).
2007-08-17 12:59 PM

User image

Melon Presser

I've had everything from up-to-ears-boy-short cut to recently having my hair long enough that if I tilted head back, I could sit on it.

A lot depends on your hair texture and how much you sweat out of the head. If, for example, your hair is very slippery, it can be hard to gather up and stuff in a swim cap if it isn't long enough (either that, or it has to be really short).

I sweat like a fountain, and most of it out of my head. Therefore, any hair that can't be gathered back is going to wind up being plastered all over my face and/or neck unless I wear a running cap (I usually do, though). For me, it's also important that my hair be long enough to gather into a low ponytail so it fits under my bike helmet.

If you explain all this stuff to your hairstylist, s/he should be able to accomodate you with a great cut that suits your lifestyle and needs. Mine's shoulder-length and layered now so that it's wash-n-go and looks styled, is short enough to not get in the way or be too hot, but long enough to pull into a low ponytail.

2007-08-17 1:00 PM

Veteran
Texas

Just cut mine short for pretty much the same reason and am liking it - here's the photos I gave the hairdresser for cut (Tea) and color (Carmen) - gotta love the celeb photos..

2007-08-17 1:01 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
CYCLISTtuRUNsTRI - 2007-08-17 11:57 AM

I've been a ponytail girl for the last 40+ years! I have shoulder length hair that I wear down for my "other" life at work. The rest of the time it is pulled back in a ponytail, which works great for running and cycling. Now that I swim before work I don't have time to dry my hair. So it is either go to work with a wet ponytail or find a new hair style. I'm a pretty low maintenance in the beauty dept. type.

Has anyone else made the switch from long to short hair for triathlons? Does it take longer to style short hair? Are you glad you cut your hair?

If you go to my log, you can see how short my hair is. I went from shoulder length hair to chin length.

I LOVE IT! I can't believe it took me as long as it did to cut it off! It's so cute... and easy to fix. I just pull up the front and put on my visor for running... and I put a headband on for cycling.

I'm not sure if I'll ever grow it out again. My hair short is just so cute and sporty.
2007-08-17 1:08 PM

User image

I've recently been thinking of cutting my hair short as well. My problem is ever since I started swimming regularly in the pool my hair has gotten fried. I condition the heck out of it but it only helps a little. I have fine hair. It hasn't turned green but is the texture of stray. Even after my last hair cut, it seemed like it was back to fried in two weeks. Anyone else have this problem? Any recommendations?
Tanya
2007-08-17 1:14 PM
in reply to: #929615

New user

Pennsylvania
I also have fine, curly hair that does not take well to the chlorine in the pool. I've had great luck with LUSH hair products. In particular, I use BIG shampoo which does a great job of taking out the chemicals from the pool, w/o stripping my hair (yes, my hair has some color in it - can't deal with being gray yet!). I also use LUSH's American Cream conditioner and am getting ready to try their Recon conditioning treatment: http://usa.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/2019?expand=Haircare

Lush products are natural and while a little expensive, they're a good value for money - I only buy shampoo 4 times a year! Hope it helps!

Edited by TZero 2007-08-17 1:20 PM
2007-08-17 1:48 PM
in reply to: #929516

User image

Mountain View, CA
lobstergirl - 2007-08-17 10:09 AM

Another trick: if you don't have time to fully blowdry at the gym, just do a 2 minute blow dry, and by the time you get to work (at least with my stick straight hair) its dry.

x2, though for me it's more like 4-5 minutes (I have pretty thick hair).

I once cut my hair way short and LOVED the look, but not the upkeep. Now it's a few inches below my shoulders, and I have no intention of cutting it above the shoulder anytime soon. I'm like TriAya: if it's not pulled back, it gets sweat-plastered to my face. Whenever I go for a haircut I explain to the stylist that I need everything to go back in a ponytail or French braid, and that I usually don't have time for much styling in the morning. Their standard suggestion is long with layers, and that works well for me.

2007-08-17 1:49 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

tek8807 - 2007-08-17 1:08 PM I've recently been thinking of cutting my hair short as well. My problem is ever since I started swimming regularly in the pool my hair has gotten fried. I condition the heck out of it but it only helps a little. I have fine hair. It hasn't turned green but is the texture of stray. Even after my last hair cut, it seemed like it was back to fried in two weeks. Anyone else have this problem? Any recommendations? Tanya

Do you wet & condition before you put on your swim cap?  It helps some.  Not too much conditioner or the cap pops off.

Back to the OT, my hair is a wedge-shaped bob right now, short in the back and chin-length in the front.  Two little ponytails works best to secure it for cycling - I line them up with the vent holes in my helmet, so the helmet doesn't push down on the "bump" and make my head hurt.

No, the hair does not poke out of the vent holes.  Though that would be funny.

2007-08-17 1:51 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Not that you asked, but if you had, I'd always suggest longer. 

2007-08-17 1:56 PM
in reply to: #929709

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South
hangloose - 2007-08-17 2:51 PM

you coulda just referred them to your sig line 

Long layers works for me too.  Ponytails for training, braids for racing, and hanging down for everyday.   Easy peasy. 

2007-08-17 2:06 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
I was a pony tail girl for a long time.
I always liked the feeling that *if* I wanted to I could have long hair that felt glamorous... except that never happened. No matter what, by mid-day it was always up in some sort of up-do. I have lots of fine, mostly straight hair & slightly oily scalp - have to wash EVERY DAY and since I sweat bunches, too - unless it's beautifully clear dry day outside my hair always looked limp by midday.

When I ran or anything, of course it was in a ponytail. If I went to the gym before work or biked to work, it was in a ponytail. By evening it was always in a ponytail. So I LIVED in a ponytail that I always fussed with for at least 30 minutes in the morning thinking that this might be the day I make it all the way through with no up-do.

Once I had kid # 2 I went with a short scrunchy/spikey hairdoo that's shorter in back than on top with long bangs. I can style it in 3 minutes or not style it - with a little goop or texturizing spray it looks great. I'm 40 and my much younger hair stylist and friends say it makes me look younger, spunky, fun, energetic, etc. Not that I looked older before.... True, because I sweat so much, while I'm running I look like a drowned rat, but a quick towel dry, maybe a headband or just push my sunglasses back, and I'm at least ready for hanging out for a bit.

Every now and then I have hair envy but then I remember all the non-styled limp hair days and figure that at least now, I have a 'style' and I usually fell like it looks pretty good. The downside is frequent haircuts & color touches.

That's my 4 cents.

-Helen
2007-08-17 2:28 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Like someone else, I've cut semi-short twice in my life and hated it both times. If you've never had short hair, who knows you may love it! Try it and if you don't like it, obviously it will grow back and you never have to do that again.

2007-08-17 2:36 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado

If I had a better shaped head, I'd go this route even though I still have a full head of hair. I tried it once and liked it, but the wife didn't.

Attachments
----------------
HB_sport.jpeg (51KB - 18 downloads)

2007-08-17 3:00 PM
in reply to: #929725

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Lucy - 2007-08-17 1:56 PM
hangloose - 2007-08-17 2:51 PM

you coulda just referred them to your sig line 

I was surprised how many women had hairobars at Spirit of Racine (HIM). 

2007-08-17 3:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have had short hair most of my life. I grew it out for my wedding, then once that was over I cut it all off again. I regret it for sure. I can do absolutely nothing with my hair. I can sorta get it up, but I have too wear a headband thing to keep it out of my face.

I'm trying to grow it back out so I can just get it up in a ponytail again. If I didn't have such a baby face I'd go super short with my hair and I think that would be much easier, but unfortunately my face is way too round to do that. But, you can always try the short hair route once! It will always grow back.
2007-08-17 3:16 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

Why don't you start somewhere in the middle. My hair is just above my shoulders and it's long enough for a pony tail. I half dry it after swimming and it's fine.

Cut some off and see how you like it before you cut it all off!

2007-08-17 3:20 PM

User image

Veteran
tek8807 - 2007-08-17 11:08 AM

I've recently been thinking of cutting my hair short as well. My problem is ever since I started swimming regularly in the pool my hair has gotten fried. I condition the heck out of it but it only helps a little. I have fine hair. It hasn't turned green but is the texture of stray. Even after my last hair cut, it seemed like it was back to fried in two weeks. Anyone else have this problem? Any recommendations?
Tanya

Get a shampoo that removes the chlorine. There's a few out there: Ultra Swim and Malibu. It's not perfect, but it keeps my hair in FAR better shape than regular stuff when I swim a lot.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For the Ladies-Ponytail or Short hair? Rss Feed  

of 2