General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Putting on/taking of bike shoes while on the bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-19 9:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Putting on/taking of bike shoes while on the bike
After doing two different events I realized quickly that my transition times are just way to slow. I am spending almost 5 minutes total in the two transitions and that is just too much time. So I am looking at ways to get transition quicker. One thing that I have both seen and read about here is putting the bike shoes on the bike and then putting your feet in them while riding and then taking your feet out while still on the bike.

I tried this today during my ride and I was able to do it, but it did cost me alot of time and speed on the bike. Now I realize that it will get easier and faster the more I practice, but my question is, is there really any net gain there? I mean if I am losing time/speed on the bike, wouldn't it just be better to put my bike shoes on in transition and then quickly get upto speed on the bike? Removing the shoes was easy enough, but getting into them was a PIA.

2007-08-19 10:00 AM
in reply to: #930829

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Putting on/taking of bike shoes while on the bike

Are you using regular bike shoes? It's a lot easier with triathlon shoes: single strap, no tongue, made to stay open wide, loop on heel to pull them on.

Yes it does get easier and faster with practice, and yes there is a net gain of time to be had if you do it correctly.

2007-08-19 10:06 AM

User image

Regular
Mechanicsville, VA
I agree, definitely need to invest in Tri specific shoes. Another key is to pedal with your feet on top of your shoes getting up to speed before you put your feet in the shoes. That way, you're coasting at a good clip as you are sliding your feet in.
2007-08-19 10:13 AM
in reply to: #930833

User image

Extreme Veteran
the bear - 2007-08-19 11:00 AM

Are you using regular bike shoes? It's a lot easier with triathlon shoes: single strap, no tongue, made to stay open wide, loop on heel to pull them on.

Yes it does get easier and faster with practice, and yes there is a net gain of time to be had if you do it correctly.

The shoes that I have have three velcro straps on them. There is no loop on the back of them to help with getting them on, so maybe that is part of the issue. I am considering getting a new bike next race season now that I know I am going to be sticking with this and at that time I may need to consider better shoes.

I realize that I just need to continue practicing to get better, but man it was slow today. :D
2007-08-19 11:08 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
I have been practicing this a lot more, and I still suck pretty badly at it. Im undecided if I will use this technique next weekend in chicago.
2007-08-19 1:03 PM

User image

Expert
oregon ave,

I'll be the devil here and say that I am not so sure it is worth it.  I watched many races where putting the shoes on while on the bike has cost more time.  Crashes, mishaps, fussing, etc..  Even the pros.  Two seconds to slip on shoes then ride full on from the start or ride then coast for two seconds while on the bike risking mishaps.  Maybe if you are a pro, it is worth the risk to shave a second or two.  But in my opinion, there are plenty of other ways to make up or loose much more time then the shoe department. 

As far as saving time in the transition areas.  Make sure you aren't doing wardrobe changes.  Wear your bike and run outfit under the wetsuit.  No drying off and no socks, saves time.  Practice setting up all your gear in the back yard and run through the process trying to make it more efficient.

Look at your overall times in the race too.  Can you shave off minutes in your swim, bike or run?

2007-08-19 4:49 PM
in reply to: #930837

EABonney - 2007-08-19 8:13 AM

The shoes that I have have three velcro straps on them.

I had similar shoes for awhile.  To save a wee bit of time putting them on and taking them off, I velcroed the middle strap shut W/O looping it through the eyelet.  If the bottom strap of the three isn't too tight, and the middle strap is just along for the ride, you really only have to worry about the top strap.  It's enough to work.

2007-08-19 5:26 PM
in reply to: #930914

User image

Expert
mikep - 2007-08-19 11:03 AM

I'll be the devil here and say that I am not so sure it is worth it. I watched many races where putting the shoes on while on the bike has cost more time. Crashes, mishaps, fussing, etc.. Even the pros.

Yep

I did a local sprint Tri with my wife yesterday. The Relay team Bike rack was right next to the Bike in and Out gate.

Wow, I saw the most crashes and misshapes at start and finish of the bike that I've ever seen. Most of these were people trying to mount their bikes with shoes on the pedals or get off before the timing mat with their shoes still on the pedals.

Personal, I just put my shoes on then hop on the bike. I find my feet stay cleaner and I use Speedplay pedals so the running surface on the bottom of the shoe is plenty big to run on. Same for coming into T2, I use a cyclocross style dismount. Unclip the right leg (shoe still on), swing the leg around and in between my left leg and bike. Twist the left foot off the pedal, hit the ground running right before the mat. Works great and I have clean feet when I go to put my socks and shoes on.
2007-08-19 5:47 PM

User image

Master
I'm with MikeP and Magic. Although I've been practicing the shoes-already-on thing, it always seems to take me a couple of tries to get the velcro tight enough. It also puts me, and everyone who would be around me in a race, in danger as I take my eyes off the road and onto my shoes. Maybe, someday, the practice will add up to efficiency, but I'm not there yet.

Practice to get things right on the first try would seem to be the best way to faster T times.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Putting on/taking of bike shoes while on the bike Rss Feed