General Discussion Triathlon Talk » We're Winning Together - WW and Friends of WW :-) 10/14-10/20 (formerly known as Winning with WW) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-10-19 2:19 PM
in reply to: #1015865

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Subject: RE: We're Winning Together - WW and Friends of WW :-) 10/14-10/20 (formerly known as Winning with W
lastcall2003 - 2007-10-19 11:01 AM

we all go through those tough times! I'm sure it's not helping that DH has attitude as well - you'll have to tell him to 'suck it up buttercup' as well - LOL

way to hang in there and not give up!

I just found out that DH got his stitches removed (again), so hopefully his attitude will improve now that he might be able to get out and run/cycle again. No swimming for awhile tho.

2007-10-19 2:34 PM
in reply to: #1016085

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Subject: RE: We're Winning Together - WW and Friends of WW :-) 10/14-10/20 (formerly known as Winning with W
MrsUSMC - 2007-10-19 2:19 PM
lastcall2003 - 2007-10-19 11:01 AM we all go through those tough times! I'm sure it's not helping that DH has attitude as well - you'll have to tell him to 'suck it up buttercup' as well - LOL

way to hang in there and not give up!

I just found out that DH got his stitches removed (again), so hopefully his attitude will improve now that he might be able to get out and run/cycle again. No swimming for awhile tho.

here's hopin'!!

I'm sure it will help - it can't hurt, right?

2007-10-19 2:53 PM
in reply to: #1007235

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Let's hope. I am going to tell him tonight that his funk has been giving me funk. I think I already used "buttercup" on him
2007-10-19 3:06 PM
in reply to: #1016163

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

MrsUSMC - 2007-10-19 2:53 PM Let's hope. I am going to tell him tonight that his funk has been giving me funk. I think I already used "buttercup" on him

good call!

ps, it made me giggle to think about you calling him buttercup! LOL

2007-10-20 10:10 AM

New user
Subject: a crazy-making plateau!
So I went to WI this morning, and I weighed EXACTLY the same that I have weighed at every WI since mid-September. This is so incredibly annoying.

And yes, that last month included my first tri (and the celebratory week 'off'), a vacation in Portland (and the penitential week of clean eating), and another 5K. But still. Really. This is just so frustrating to see that long row of -- 130.6, 130.6, 130.6, 130.6 -- in my little booklet.

What the *@!%#?

I know I need to get back to the gym. Plan my meals for the week. Schedule my workouts at a time that I'm less likely to skip them. Maybe I need to start training for something again, as motivation. But I also want to give myself a break from the slightly slightly obsessive training mode I was in before the triathlon. Does that makes sense?

Ugh. Seriously -- next week I do not want to be at the same weight! Here's to a new week!

letitia
2007-10-20 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
LOL! I can just imagine the look on Kahuna's face when you called him buttercup, Terri! LOL

I arrived safely in Modesto yesterday. It too me about an hour longer to get here than I was expecting and I was pooped when I got here. Given I was so tired, I made sure to be extra careful when we had the opening mixer last night ... which had TWO large flowing chocolate fountains of goodness. One was milk chocolate and the other was white chocolate. I, however, did not indulge. I stuck with the veggies, a plain pretzel stick, and some fruit. My only indulgences were a mini springroll and a mini spinach quiche. Overall, I was pleased with my choices.

Breakfast this morning was complimentary at the hotel. I had some Cheerios with skim milk and a banana. The only real temptation food to me was the biscuits, but since I've not had a really good biscuit since I left Tennessee 11 years ago, I convinced myself those were probably just frozen ones and weren't any good anyway probably. LOL Hey, whatever works, right?!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

2007-10-20 10:30 AM

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
Many years ago (maybe 12?) I weighed 180 pounds. I'm 5 feet 6 1/2 inches tall. I did step aerobics 6 days a week, and lifted weights (heavy) 3 days a week. I looked good! I was the office manager for the recreation department on the Marine Corps Base husband had been stationed at and got to be very good friends with the manager of the gym that was across the street from where I worked. He would come to my office every day for business purposes but it never failed that by the time he left he was practically calling me a liar (jokingly) when I told him how much I weighed. This went on for a couple of months before I finally let him talk me into weighing myself in front of him. He was shocked. He said I had to be solid muscle in order to weigh that much but not look it. My husband was in Japan when this was going on and hadn't seen me in a loooong time. He was a bit shocked, to say the least. My goal is not to really lose to a certain # on a scale (even though I have that listed in my blog), but to look like I did back then. Excuse me, but I was H.O.T.

I don't know what your goal is or what your height is, but maybe what you're weighing now is what you should weigh for your body. It is just a number on a scale. How do you look? How do you feel? How are your clothes fitting? Talk to your group leader. If you're faithfully logging in all your food, take your journal with you so he/she can look at it.

And I know you don't want to hear this, but it could be worse. You could have a gain, instead of a maintain. {{{{{Letitia}}}}}

DH is out of his funk. He got inked again (twice) yesterday and got his stitches out. He got barbed wire around his left guns (purrrrrrr) and finished off what he started on his ankle last weekend. He is getting back to biking, running and lifting starting today. I am planning on walking 2 miles sometime today - I may split it up into 2 1-mile loops. I turned off my alarm last night and slept until 7 a.m. this morning. I cannot remember the last time I was in bed past 6 a.m. I'm being totally lazy this morning. It's 8:30, I'm still in pj's enjoying a cold cup of coffee because I've been playing with my puppies. We're headed out later to look at a couple of houses and maybe get my car detailed.

Edited by MrsUSMC 2007-10-20 10:36 AM
2007-10-20 11:06 AM
in reply to: #1016845

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Solid advice Terri!

When I was doing WW a few years ago, I had a # in mind, which was 135 lbs (I'm 5' 3&1/2".  I tried and tried and tried for months to get below 146 - with no success.

My leader talked to me (on more than one occasion) and finally got through to me that I was focusing on the wrong thing -

She asked me to think about those same things, how I look, feel, how my clothes fit - and a very important question - did I think I could maintain a lower weight.

I came to the conclusion that when it was all said and done, I really liked the way I look and I felt great and I really didn't want to go through the rest of my life beating my head against the wall trying to maintain a weight that was really just an arbitrary #)

I would encourage you to talk to your leader as well :-)

Celebrate the success of maintaining!  Truly you should feel good about that - (i know, i know - easier to say when it's not you)

:-)

2007-10-20 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1016845

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Melissa - sounds like you've really been making good choices! congrats!

Terri - glad DH is out of his funk!  sounds like you are having a wonderful morning - it's just nice to relax sometimes isn't it!

I went and got my car serviced this morning, am taking my son to the airport in a few minutes and then am headed to the gym.

It's been about 2 weeks since 'the incident' with the storm door - the cut is still quite tender, but I think I should be able to put a shoe on ok

Have a great saturday everyone!

2007-10-20 12:19 PM

New user
Okay -- I know it! You all are totally right!! Thank you so much for the reminder! I could have gained, and that would have been very frustrating (to say the least). I just had that initial post-WI frustration.

I completely agree with you about not letting the tyranny of a particular weight goal blow up my fitness plan. In truth, I'm more concerned about body fat content -- but that's not something I can measure regularly with very much convenience.

So thank you all for the reminder!

I'm going to really get back to the gym this week, and see what happens. Realistically, I think I have a few more pounds to lose to get to a healthy, fit body composition/weight. But I think it's a little hard to know what I'm aiming at since I haven't been in really good shape at any point in my adult life. Terri -- I hope to achieve the state of fitness you were remembering!! That way, I'll always have this state-of-mind/body to look back at as a benchmark!

And I haven't been very diligent the last few weeks about staying within my pt range. But if a few more weeks of this doesn't have any effect, I think I will talk to my group leader -- that hadn't occurred to me.

Congrats on the new tattoos, all around -- hmm. I keep promising myself a navel piercing when I get my abs in good form

2007-10-20 2:13 PM
in reply to: #1016889

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

springcomes - 2007-10-20 12:19 PM Okay -- I know it! You all are totally right!! Thank you so much for the reminder! I could have gained, and that would have been very frustrating (to say the least). I just had that initial post-WI frustration. I completely agree with you about not letting the tyranny of a particular weight goal blow up my fitness plan. In truth, I'm more concerned about body fat content -- but that's not something I can measure regularly with very much convenience. So thank you all for the reminder! I'm going to really get back to the gym this week, and see what happens. Realistically, I think I have a few more pounds to lose to get to a healthy, fit body composition/weight. But I think it's a little hard to know what I'm aiming at since I haven't been in really good shape at any point in my adult life. Terri -- I hope to achieve the state of fitness you were remembering!! That way, I'll always have this state-of-mind/body to look back at as a benchmark! And I haven't been very diligent the last few weeks about staying within my pt range. But if a few more weeks of this doesn't have any effect, I think I will talk to my group leader -- that hadn't occurred to me. Congrats on the new tattoos, all around -- hmm. I keep promising myself a navel piercing when I get my abs in good form

that's what we're here for :-)

Oh, and you do have to get a naval piercing!  I got mine done 3 years ago as a reward for achieving lifetime and getting into shape -

I also think my kids secretly think it's cool that I have a tat and got my naval pierced - LOL

2007-10-20 5:06 PM
in reply to: #1016889

User image

Expert
Oceanside, CA
springcomes - 2007-10-20 10:19 AM

And I haven't been very diligent the last few weeks about staying within my pt range. But if a few more weeks of this doesn't have any effect, I think I will talk to my group leader -- that hadn't occurred to me.

Letitia, I think the above statement says it all. If you're not staying OP, then you probably won't see a loss.

Believe it or not I do NOT have a full body picture of me at that weight, but I do have a headshot. I see it everyday since DH has it on his dresser. Hang in there...and buckle down on keeping OP. We're here for you on the good and bad days.
2007-10-20 5:36 PM

User image

Expert
Twin Cities

Terri, great news on your DH, buttercup,... and, gotta love the "guns" and the new tats!  I so agree with not being fixated on the number on the scale, but rather the level of fitness, how clothing fits, etc., etc.  I have always shocked people when I tell them what I weigh (68" - 199, today).  
It was fun to go biking today as it was cool enough to pull on my running leggings to keep warm... I looked in the mirror and thought "damn, girl, lookin' good".  Now, do I have more to lose - absolutely.  Am I seeing the physical changes before changes on the dial - absolutely!

Bunny - best wishes while you are on the road - traveling is ALWAYS a challenge... not to mention flowing chocolate.

Letitia - congratulations on your first triathlon! That rocks!

Beth, as far as retaining water when you fly... I personally think it comes from dehydration, and eating restaurant food.  As much as I try to drink a lot of water while traveling, it never seems to be enough.

Jana, your tapas feast sounds wonderful, and it sounds as if you made some great choices!  Don't sweat the WI this week.  It sounds as if you have a plan for validation of your progress, as well as a few changes in store for next week.

As for me, I am happy to be back home.  My weight stayed the same while I was traveling, which was a shocker... We had dinner Wednesday night at a German restaurant, and I chose to indulge in the Sauerbraten and a couple of steins of dark, German bier...mmm.

Tonight, I am proud of the dinner choice that I made.  I received some upsetting news this afternoon that sent me for a loop.  I still needed to go grocery shopping... so I went out and did that... with no unauthorized additions to the shopping list.  Then, on the way home I was craving pizza from my favorite pizza place.  Instead, I cooked up a sweet potato, loaded it with lowfat cottage cheese and some seasoned almonds.  This took care of my need to "indulge myself" without making any poor food choices. 

2007-10-20 5:52 PM
in reply to: #1017087

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Yoganerd - 2007-10-20 5:36 PM

Terri, great news on your DH, buttercup,... and, gotta love the "guns" and the new tats!  I so agree with not being fixated on the number on the scale, but rather the level of fitness, how clothing fits, etc., etc.  I have always shocked people when I tell them what I weigh (68" - 199, today).  
It was fun to go biking today as it was cool enough to pull on my running leggings to keep warm... I looked in the mirror and thought "damn, girl, lookin' good".  Now, do I have more to lose - absolutely.  Am I seeing the physical changes before changes on the dial - absolutely!

Bunny - best wishes while you are on the road - traveling is ALWAYS a challenge... not to mention flowing chocolate.

Letitia - congratulations on your first triathlon! That rocks!

Beth, as far as retaining water when you fly... I personally think it comes from dehydration, and eating restaurant food.  As much as I try to drink a lot of water while traveling, it never seems to be enough.

Jana, your tapas feast sounds wonderful, and it sounds as if you made some great choices!  Don't sweat the WI this week.  It sounds as if you have a plan for validation of your progress, as well as a few changes in store for next week.

As for me, I am happy to be back home.  My weight stayed the same while I was traveling, which was a shocker... We had dinner Wednesday night at a German restaurant, and I chose to indulge in the Sauerbraten and a couple of steins of dark, German bier...mmm.

Tonight, I am proud of the dinner choice that I made.  I received some upsetting news this afternoon that sent me for a loop.  I still needed to go grocery shopping... so I went out and did that... with no unauthorized additions to the shopping list.  Then, on the way home I was craving pizza from my favorite pizza place.  Instead, I cooked up a sweet potato, loaded it with lowfat cottage cheese and some seasoned almonds.  This took care of my need to "indulge myself" without making any poor food choices. 

WTG Sharon!  Not only did you maintain your weight while traveling - you came back to make some awesome choices. Totally cool!

I think you are absolutely right about the water retention - I just find it so strange - after two days of being back on the ground and in home territory - I have already shed 3 lbs of water, bringing me almost back to where I was before I left.  It will be Monday before I am all the way back down.

Oddly enough, it even happens when I am on a road trip driving, I wonder if it has anything to do with being so sedintary?  Hmmm, I'll probably never know

2007-10-20 6:22 PM
in reply to: #1017087

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Yoganerd - 2007-10-20 5:36 PM

Oh, and fwiw

I think this is one of the most fantastic quotes ever!  WTG - I love that you are seeing the changes in yourself AND giving credit -

damn girl - you are lookin' good! absolutely!

Keep up the great work!

2007-10-21 9:20 AM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » We're Winning Together - WW and Friends of WW :-) 10/14-10/20 (formerly known as Winning with WW) Rss Feed  

of 3