Set-up Inc
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 7s
Overall Rank = 190/581
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0600, checked Ben, turned on the coffee and did some yoga to stretch. Ate Cheerios, poured some coffee, loaded the bike and I was off. After the summer of 1991 I never thought I'd voluntarily get up before the sun to go run on Parris Island. Ironically, that's what I loved about the Marines and triathlon - you get to see the sunrise. As I was driving across the Broad River with the rising sun illuminating the river in oranges and purples I remembered that.
Event warmup:

When I got out of the car I was glad I went to boot camp during the summer because I had a swarm of the legendary Parris Island sand fleas all around me as I unloaded the bike. I got out of there as quickly as I could and setup my transition. I went into the Recruit Training pool and swam 150m before the pre-race briefing. After the briefing I sat because my swim didn't start for an hour - ugh! SO I sat and watched and talked. About 20 minutes before my start time I did 150m more in the pool.
Swim
  • 12m 17s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was my best triathlon swim to date - mostly because it was in a pool! In the queue line #350 told us to tap her feet if we had to pass her, so I did and she stopped at the 100m lane change and I passed. Between 225 and 250 people started getting out of their lane and I ran into a few of them. Once I looked up just in time to see a big, hairy paw slap me the in the face. between 325 and 350 some dude tapped me to pass, so I stopped at the turn and he was just diddy-bopping down the lane, so off I went. After I made the final turn I saw that dude cutting the lane to get in front of me. No big deal - I smoked that dude in transistion!
What would you do differently?:

Nichts!
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

My jersey got stuck while putting it on so I probably wasted 45 seconds on that.The surface in transition was much like gravel, so running from the entrance to my bike was slow.

Practice putting on the jersey wet (or just wear a trisuit).
Bike
  • 37m 3s
  • 13 miles
  • 21.05 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was sort of a sentimental tour: Took off past the PT field my company used, then past Leatherneck Square where we did Pugil Sticks, boxing and The Confidence Course. A Fourth Battalion platoon was out there (you can tell by their voices). I felt really good in the aero position and had some good speed. Passed three people going past the rifle range. The turn around at some marker past the golf course was great. It was a wide circle that you could take at good speed. Not the usual turn on a two lane road. The road after Page Filed was fairly nice (for this course anyway) but after passing Ballast Creek I had to slow down because the road got REALLY bad. I was afraid the bike would shake apart at high speeds.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

I got out of my shoes a little early but it didn't hurt any. I came into T2 at good speed and when I jumped off I got a taste of the gravel-like road surface on bare feet. Again, running from the entrance to my stall sucked. I need to get some of those quick laces because I lost some time tying my shoes.

Get quick laces.
Run
  • 25m 40s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

"You better be f%$#ing dying the whole way!" Senior Drill Instructor SSgt. Kreuser talking to plt. 2096 about their upcoming final PFT.
And I was. This was the best run I've had in several years. I've been working on speed and it seemed to have paid off. At the fire station I passed some woman, #333, who stay right behind me the rest of the way. She kept me motivated - thanks, whoever you are.

Not take a drink at the aid station. That took my breath and I slowed a bit.
Post race
Warm down:

I thanked the woman behind me, then went for a bottle of water and a bagel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor road surface - On the bike it slowed me a bit (avoiding potholes and all) and my runs in transition weren't as fast as they otherwise would have been.

Event comments:

Good race - I liked going back to PI and seeing the recruits. Thanks brothers, volunteering for the Worlds Finest Fighting Force at a time like this takes serious balls and I, for one, appreciate it all you do! Stay motivated recruits!

Last updated: 2007-11-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:17 | 547 yards | 02m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 227/581
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri-shorts
Course: Pool swim 25m down and back, then change lanes.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:03 | 13 miles | 21.05 mile/hr
Overall: 166/581
Wind: Headwind
Course: Oh my, that is a terrible road, but what do you expect from a government installation?
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:40 | 03.11 miles | 08m 15s  min/mile
Overall: 177/581
Course: Flat, out on the same line as the bike course and turning around right after passing the Weapons Training Battalion sign.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-03-18 10:33 AM

User image

Tucker
Subject: Parris Island Triathlon

2008-03-18 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1278083

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Subject: RE: Parris Island Triathlon

Awesome RR. I loved the base- having never been on a military base before, I was struck by how beautiful it was- especially with the azaleas blooming at the entrance. I heard the marines chanting and yelling, and that was cool- and I can owe my fast run split to having to sprint around a formation so I didn't get stuck waiting for them to pass.

Sounds like you had a great race- I did too and can't wait for next year. I would have loved to have had some recruits racing with us, but I guess the military doesn't issue tri bikes!

I thought about all the history on that island and felt very humbled by it all. Marines ROCK!

Edited by SuzanneS 2008-03-18 10:52 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Parris Island Triathlon Rss Feed