BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dream Chaser's 'Set a Goal and Capture it!' Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2012-02-02 10:03 AM
in reply to: #3258141

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: RE: Dream Chaser's 'Set a Goal and Capture it!' Mentor Group - CLOSED

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I think that sounds like a good plan and will prepare me should I decide to do some hillier races later in the season.

So I have accepted a new job, submitted my resignation and my leaving has been announced.  Three weeks and I begin a new job.  How bad is that while reviewing the offer I'm thinking of things like "Flex hours so I can slip out summer afternoons for cycling?"  "Shower on site so I can run on my lunch hours?" ?  One snag is that while I get 5 weeks vacation the recommendation is that I take them while the company closes down (late July & December) which means I don't think I'll be able to do the marathon in PEI next October   I figure I'll just have to be more creative and see if there is anything of interest some place warm in December!

Hope everyone is doing well.  I'm looking forward to the off season being over so we can be more active on this forum!! 

2012-02-03 2:10 PM
in reply to: #4025232

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
If you are thinking about those things when considering a new job, I would say your priorities are in the right place. If an active life is important to you, you need to find a way to make it work and job flexibility is critical. I have been known to work my weekly and monthly calendar by starting off putting in things that are important to me...sporting events, family events, races, training days and then scheduling work responsibilities around this. Sure I sometimes run into conflicts, but whenever possible, I keep certain training days and windows open. Got to have your priorities straight!
2012-02-07 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3963567

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
Dream Chaser - 2011-12-31 11:30 AM

John - Welcome Back!! 

George -  Maybe the the eleves left behind some clothes and THAT'S why they are so snug.

Everyone else - January is Post your Goals Time.  We're a trim group.  No nonsense.  Less sugar-coating here in 2012.  My motto's for 2012 are:  TRAIN SMARTHTFUNO EXCUSESGOT DISCIPLINE? 

These directly apply to myself.  I've got four full and consistent years of Triathlon training in the books.  And six consistent years of Running in the books.  I'm sick & tired of taking risks and making mistakes.  I've accrued a lot of knowledge through text, shared experienced and first-hand experience.  Time to put it to use and knock off the crap. 

I'll post specific 2012 goals next week including training strategy, weight management and race goals. 

Sorry teach but the dog ate my homework, can I still hand it in?

In typical fashion I'm still not completely certain exactly what I'm gonna do (surprised?). BUT, the one thing I'm certain of is that I'm gonna have fun and not put undo pressure on myself.

As far as a "plan" here's what I'm looking at:

"Torcher" Wink myself on that boring 13.1 course in late March with the goal of significant improvement from last year's time.

Following that race I'm gonna shift my focus to biking and build up to a Century ride in June.

Starting in July, I'll begin a Marathon plan eyeing either Marine Corps or Philly in the fall.

Sprinkle in some sprints over the summer and an Oly for September that I hope to complete in the 2:40's.

I was seriously contemplating Mont Treblant 70.3 in June but bagged it in favor of skiing w/the family instead. Financially, I couldn't justify(to myself) 2 family vacations as well as 2 race destinations in a single year, so I'll look to that in 2013.

I'm also gonna start logging my weight as I'd like to drop ~ 10lbs for the season.

2012-02-07 11:45 AM
in reply to: #4033725

User image

Master
TORONTO
Sammeg - 2012-02-07 11:49 AM

I was seriously contemplating Mont Treblant 70.3 in June but bagged it in favor of skiing w/the family instead. Financially, I couldn't justify(to myself) 2 family vacations as well as 2 race destinations in a single year, so I'll look to that in 2013.

I'm also gonna start logging my weight as I'd like to drop ~ 10lbs for the season.

My training buddy suggested on Sunday that if we REALLY like our June HIM that we train for Tremblant 70.3 for 2013.  I was sort of thinking of Calgary in July 2013 but we were also toying with Africa in August so that makes Tremblant more appealing as it's closer... and hubby wants to go so... maybe... BIG maybe... I'll see you there!

2012-02-07 7:12 PM
in reply to: #4033846

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
kimmax - 2012-02-07 12:45 PM

My training buddy suggested on Sunday that if we REALLY like our June HIM that we train for Tremblant 70.3 for 2013.  I was sort of thinking of Calgary in July 2013 but we were also toying with Africa in August so that makes Tremblant more appealing as it's closer... and hubby wants to go so... maybe... BIG maybe... I'll see you there!

Africa?! Like Serengeti Africa?! Damn, that's sooooooo cool. I was happy w/the safari at Disney's Animal Kingdom, I'm thinkin going to the actual continent may be a wee bit better!!

2012-02-07 8:03 PM
in reply to: #4034857

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Sammeg - 2012-02-07 8:12 PM

Africa?! Like Serengeti Africa?! Damn, that's sooooooo cool. I was happy w/the safari at Disney's Animal Kingdom, I'm thinkin going to the actual continent may be a wee bit better!!

I dunno ... you can't get those frozen ice cream mouse ears in the Serengeti.

Actually, that would be awesome, Marcia!  I hope y'all are able to make it work.

2012-02-07 8:58 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO

Africa is a place I've ALWAYS wanted to go to.  I tend to gravitate to books set in Africa (when I'm not reading Krakauer!) - some of my recent faves being Disgraced, The Poisonwood Bible, White Masai and the Book of Negroes.  We've held off because of the amount of shots you are required to take to go there.  I took quite a few while traveling through Malaysia and didn't want to put my child through that but now that she's older we're thinking we're ready so ya... safari in August across Kenya with a resort stay in Tanzania but it's the trip that keeps growing!! We're both interested in visiting Capetown and I'd love to visit a student I tutored long ago in Zimbawbe.  Have to say I have zero interest ( and a lot of fear ) in visiting Rwanda!!

I would REALLY like my child to experience what it's like there in terms of acceptance of living accommodations so she has an appreciation for all she has here.  I think when I was growing up faith played a big role in appreciation but although my husband and I have faith - we aren't practicing and certainly haven't raised my child to believe in anything beyond our life on earth.  Whether this is a big mistake or not on our part remains to be seen but I think my child is a bit spoiled and doesn't get the big picture and so we're hoping this becomes an opportunity.  So possibly a stint in a village where we can volunteer but at the same time - we don't want to scar/scare her either as she's a bit sensitive. 

Curious about you other parents - Ted, Bobby, Mike - all of you parents with kids the same age - and David as a new parent - do you teach your child about God and all that?

2012-02-07 8:59 PM
in reply to: #4034857

User image

Master
TORONTO

I freaking LOVED Animal Kingdom at Disney!!  Especially the safari ride!!

2012-02-07 9:01 PM
in reply to: #4034939

User image

Master
TORONTO
tdl1972 - 2012-02-07 9:03 PM

I dunno ... you can't get those frozen ice cream mouse ears in the Serengeti.

Actually, that would be awesome, Marcia!  I hope y'all are able to make it work.

It's one of those trips that costs a FORTUNE to get there but once you are there you don't really spend any money.  But ya - we're estimating a 2.5 week holiday to cost us $30,000!!!!!  So it will come down to how well my house holds out.  I live in a century home (100+ years) that seems to have an annual crisis.  After spending crazy money on a backyard renovation our back flat roof decided to just pour in on to our bed !!  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  It's never ending.  So seriously - its a dream but we could end up back in Disney World's Animal Kingdom

2012-02-07 10:58 PM
in reply to: #4035011

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
kimmax - 2012-02-07 9:58 PM

Africa is a place I've ALWAYS wanted to go to.  I tend to gravitate to books set in Africa (when I'm not reading Krakauer!) - some of my recent faves being Disgraced, The Poisonwood Bible, White Masai and the Book of Negroes.  We've held off because of the amount of shots you are required to take to go there.  I took quite a few while traveling through Malaysia and didn't want to put my child through that but now that she's older we're thinking we're ready so ya... safari in August across Kenya with a resort stay in Tanzania but it's the trip that keeps growing!! We're both interested in visiting Capetown and I'd love to visit a student I tutored long ago in Zimbawbe.  Have to say I have zero interest ( and a lot of fear ) in visiting Rwanda!!

I would REALLY like my child to experience what it's like there in terms of acceptance of living accommodations so she has an appreciation for all she has here.  I think when I was growing up faith played a big role in appreciation but although my husband and I have faith - we aren't practicing and certainly haven't raised my child to believe in anything beyond our life on earth.  Whether this is a big mistake or not on our part remains to be seen but I think my child is a bit spoiled and doesn't get the big picture and so we're hoping this becomes an opportunity.  So possibly a stint in a village where we can volunteer but at the same time - we don't want to scar/scare her either as she's a bit sensitive. 

Curious about you other parents - Ted, Bobby, Mike - all of you parents with kids the same age - and David as a new parent - do you teach your child about God and all that?

Marcia, I think you are sooooo spot on here in every aspect of your concerns. The exposure you are giving your daughter is a gift that will provide her w/perspective for the rest of her life. I have spoken to my daughters about volunteering at local soup kitchens to try and provide them with a measure of this same perspective, but I am yet to follow through although they are anxious to help. I realize this is in no way at all the same as what you are potentially exposing your child to but I believe the message is essentially the same.

This is an absolutely incredible once in a lifetime opportunity you are giving your daughter and I would do it in a second given the chance. Life is about experiences and this is about as good as it gets.

As far as our religious teachings to our children.....The very simple answer is they are currently raised Catholic but for the more accurate and complicated answer, I need to better organize my thoughts as this is kinda hard for me to answer.

2012-02-07 11:16 PM
in reply to: #4035011

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
kimmax - 2012-02-07 9:58 PM

Mine is still a bit young, but it is our intention to raise him in the church.  I was raised Methodist, attended a Southern Baptist college for undergrad and gravitated to more contemporary churches in my 20's and 30's.  But now that I am a father, my wife and I have gone back to a more traditional Methodist church for its structure and the great preschool they have.  I think it is essential to give him that foundation early in life.  Where he goes from there and the choices he makes as he matures will be up to him. 

2012-02-08 5:34 AM
in reply to: #4035148

User image

Master
TORONTO
Sammeg - 2012-02-07 11:58 PM

Marcia, I think you are sooooo spot on here in every aspect of your concerns. The exposure you are giving your daughter is a gift that will provide her w/perspective for the rest of her life. I have spoken to my daughters about volunteering at local soup kitchens to try and provide them with a measure of this same perspective, but I am yet to follow through although they are anxious to help. I realize this is in no way at all the same as what you are potentially exposing your child to but I believe the message is essentially the same.

Agreed re: message.  And for the record - I think it's a lot easier to spend a day or two than to carve out a space in your every day life to do something for others.  I've good intentions re food bank etc but have yet to put it in to practice.

One thing I do do with my child that is creative and fun is challenge her to do one nice thing a day.  It's really interesting and she sees it as a competition.  She goes to a school with some disabled children so often her one thing is helping one of them - opening a door, sharing her lunch with someone who forgot theirs. She'll bum change to buy a muffin and then give it to a homeless person - she's really generous with my money!!

A funny thing happened not long ago - I kept forgetting to do something and Miya was a week ahead of me in good deeds.  Then this elderly woman was in the middle of the road and just looked confused so I pulled over and it was cold and dark and she wanted to know how to walk through the ravine to get to her house!?  I ended up giving her a ride home and after - AND I QUOTE - my daughter said, "You know Mom - you probably think because you did this one big thing that you are ahead of me but I've been doing little things every day and you haven't so really we're even."  !!!  There's a lesson there!!

2012-02-08 7:53 AM
in reply to: #4035148

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Sammeg - 2012-02-07 11:58 PM

As far as our religious teachings to our children.....The very simple answer is they are currently raised Catholic but for the more accurate and complicated answer, I need to better organize my thoughts as this is kinda hard for me to answer.

Ditto for me...tough to talk coherently about it without getting somebody upset.  More thought required, but will update...

2012-02-08 8:37 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO

Well you don't have to worry about offending me.  And I don't care if I offend anyone ha ha so here goes:

I was raised Catholic and my hubby United.  Things we both agree about re: religion:

• It can be a comfort knowing that there is more to life than what we see around us.  The hope that amidst the pain and suffering - there is something greater - a greater peace.  And that someone is always there if you need support.  Just knowing someone is watching over you.
  • Death is easier to explain to a child if you have faith.  It's not so final.  There's a cycle.  Puppy heaven is a nice vision.   There are people that would strongly attack me on this point but it is the truth.  Children (and some adults) need to believe in more.
  • Having a community of people in your life that are not the same as your neighbourhood friends, your school friends etc that you share the same beliefs with is a good thing.  Going on retreats etc.  An extended family of sorts.
  • Living a life with a goal of doing good, being kind hearted and friendly to everyone makes you feel good and is a healthier way of living.  We teach my child that when someone steals its because they are in a darker place and they must have really needed it more than we do.  We learn compassion.

But of course there are aspects we don't necessarily agree with which make it more difficult:

• There are a lot of rules.  So many rules - even the leaders of strong faith can't abide by them.  And not all of these rules are realistic in this day and age.
  • The structure of the church - the mandatory hours and offerings etc - don't always work with our schedule.  If life is about loving and the reality is we only have 2 days a week to do it fully - I don't want to spend that time in a church chanting.  And I can think of better ways to use my money to help.
  • There are people at church that preach but don't practice what they preach.
  • Sometimes the hard one for me is that if there is a God that is all forgiving and loving - why does he challenge some people so much more than others.  The people in some places that have nothing and starve while the crooks and thieves that have everything seem untouched but THAT is a comment that I'm sure too many will object too!!

There are other things but I have to run to a meeting!!  Hoping I didn't offend anyone.

2012-02-09 6:24 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO

I've silenced the group and broken the rule of never discussing religion in public!  So I'll bring it back to triathlon.

On the weekend I met a girl who told us she was training for IM Tremblant in August.  To date her only race had been a sprint!  My thoughts are she must have had a strong running or cycling background - she looked fit - but I don't really know.  Personally I don't get the rush - I've learned so much through the race experience and to make such a leap sounds extreme.  But here's the real thought to ponder.  I asked if she would do the 70.3 in June as a practice and she said no.  Her reasoning:  If she did it and bombed it she would be insecure and unmotivated for the final IM.  If she did it and did well but on her A race day she wasn't hitting the same paces etc, she would feel discouraged and it would worsen her race day experience.  I kind of get it. 

What are your thoughts?

Have you ever raced a course with a completely different terrain and never previewed it? 

2012-02-09 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4035545

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Well...since you asked...  Smile

kimmax - 2012-02-08 9:37 AM

I was raised Catholic (me, too, but relatively non-practicing until my 20s) and my hubby United.  Things we both agree about re: religion:

• Death is easier to explain to a child if you have faith.  It's not so final.  There's a cycle.  Puppy heaven is a nice vision.   There are people that would strongly attack me on this point but it is the truth.  Children (and some adults) need to believe in more.  Agreed
  • Living a life with a goal of doing good, being kind hearted and friendly to everyone makes you feel good and is a healthier way of living.  We teach my child that when someone steals its because they are in a darker place and they must have really needed it more than we do.  We learn compassion.  YES!!!  To me, this is one of the greatest benefits/good regarding religion.  I've always thought, "well, what if we're all wrong about this God thing?  Well, being a good person and helping others ain't such a bad Plan B"

But of course there are aspects we don't necessarily agree with which make it more difficult:

• There are a lot of rules.  So many rules - even the leaders of strong faith can't abide by them.  And not all of these rules are realistic in this day and age.  Agreed, and the Catholic Church is really good about having its rules.  And don't even get me started on the whole new Missal thing...
  • The structure of the church - the mandatory hours and offerings etc - don't always work with our schedule.  If life is about loving and the reality is we only have 2 days a week to do it fully - I don't want to spend that time in a church chanting.  And I can think of better ways to use my money to help.  Now that's not very Catholic of you!!! C'mon now, we need to compartmentalize our faith!!!  Innocent
  • There are people at church that preach but don't practice what they preach.  Very true, but that can be said about a lot of people (politicians, etc.).

There are other things but I have to run to a meeting!!  Hoping I didn't offend anyone.

No offense here; I'm always happy to have a conversation regarding religion with someone who can discuss it logically and with an open mind. 

I'm logical, almost to a fault.  I analyze everything in my life and try to make informed decisions (note: that doesn't necessarily mean I make the right one, just that I usually put some kind of thought into it).  With that logical/analytical approach to life comes a certain level of skepticism.  And, boy, is it easy to introduce some skepticism into religion.  I had a hard time analyzing the concept of religion in light of our science knowledge, and an even harder time dealing with all the historical negative results of religion (wars, terrorism).  Well, I solved the first problem through a book I read called The Language of God by Francis Collins.  He's one of the scientists who worked on the team who decoded the human genome back in the 90s.  It's a great read, even without the religious message in the book.  It's the way he found balance in science vs. faith that really struck a chord with me, that my inherent analytical skeptical intellect could co-exist with a faithful soul.  In other words, faith and reason can co-exist.  The second problem I'm still struggling with, and there's been no shortage of bloodshed on any side (well, maybe the Buddhists; they're pretty harmless Smile).

I don't wear my religion on my sleeve, and I tend to be pretty private in matters of faith (this post notwithstanding).  I get very annoyed with people who are in-your-face about it, whatever their views (including the atheist crowd).  I don't want to be saved, I don't want to be converted, I don't want to hear about the Rapture (oh, wait...that happened last May?  Oh I forgot!!!  Wait, an alarmist religious leader wasn't right??  Shocking!!!  Surprised).  I don't want to hear how God can't possibly exist.  I respect everyone's choice of religion, or not to worship at all.  I truly respect those who give their life's work to do the good work of God; I also appreciate those whose charity has nothing to do with religion.

I've been extremely lucky in my adult life to have a priest who is really good about relating scripture to the modern world, and he has a great sense of humor about the whole thing.  He gets a kick out of us wearing our Ravens gear to Mass on Sunday mornings before we go down to the games.  I think people's views on religion are for better or worse shaped by their experiences with their local parish/congregation/etc.  I was lucky that it's been for the better.

In my adult life I've been a practicing Catholic, so my daughter is also.  We tend to involve ourselves in the Church on more practical matters such as volunteering to put together Easter baskets, running the Angel Tree program, serving community breakfasts, etc., rather than the "spreading the faith" type.  We have our daughter in a non-denominational, though primarily Catholic, Christian-faith-based school for several reasons.  First, the education is top-notch.  Second, they teach Christian values without the overbearing structure of a particular brand of Christianity.  It's also a great alternative to the local Catholic school/parish, which I don't really care for because of an overall arrogance of the leaders there, and the overall culture of the parish (long story on that one...).  We've decided, for better or worse, to raise our daughter that way and let her make her own decisions regarding faith later on...no judgement.  I'm not sure when the appropriate time will be, honestly; I'm kinda playing that by ear. 

In regard to your original question (I think...), I believe your idea of turning a vacation trip into some volunteer work is fantastic, whether it is faith-based or not.  I think it's important to instill inherent values in our children, that just happen to be based on Judeo-Christian ethics.  I don't think you need to be a practicing Judeo-Christian to have those values, though.  Nor do you need to belong to an organized religion to have faith.  You can be moral and not spiritual, and unfortunately vice versa.  The important part, and I can obviously see it because you are asking questions, is that you are PARENTING.  Wow, now there's a novel concept!!

You asked, remember!!  Cool

2012-02-09 9:40 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO

Now THAT'S a response!!

I agree with a lot of what you say too.  I think the key is finding a church that you feel good about attending. 

I also teach my child to pay attention to the message - not so much the facts.  I think kids like reading the Bible - especially the Old Testament.  I know I did.  She's read her children's version a number of times. 

On another note - my training SUCKS this week!!  So bloody tired all the time.  I'm just going with it this week.  Hopefully it'll turn around soon.

2012-02-09 11:08 AM
in reply to: #4037603

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
jmhpsu93 - 2012-02-09 9:38 AM

Well...since you asked...  Smile

kimmax - 2012-02-08 9:37 AM

I was raised Catholic (me, too, but relatively non-practicing until my 20s) and my hubby United.  Things we both agree about re: religion:

• Death is easier to explain to a child if you have faith.  It's not so final.  There's a cycle.  Puppy heaven is a nice vision.   There are people that would strongly attack me on this point but it is the truth.  Children (and some adults) need to believe in more.  Agreed
  • Living a life with a goal of doing good, being kind hearted and friendly to everyone makes you feel good and is a healthier way of living.  We teach my child that when someone steals its because they are in a darker place and they must have really needed it more than we do.  We learn compassion.  YES!!!  To me, this is one of the greatest benefits/good regarding religion.  I've always thought, "well, what if we're all wrong about this God thing?  Well, being a good person and helping others ain't such a bad Plan B"

• There are a lot of rules.  So many rules - even the leaders of strong faith can't abide by them.  And not all of these rules are realistic in this day and age.  Agreed, and the Catholic Church is really good about having its rules.  And don't even get me started on the whole new Missal thing...
  • The structure of the church - the mandatory hours and offerings etc - don't always work with our schedule.  If life is about loving and the reality is we only have 2 days a week to do it fully - I don't want to spend that time in a church chanting.  And I can think of better ways to use my money to help.  Now that's not very Catholic of you!!! C'mon now, we need to compartmentalize our faith!!!  Innocent
  • There are people at church that preach but don't practice what they preach.  Very true, but that can be said about a lot of people (politicians, etc.).

No offense here; I'm always happy to have a conversation regarding religion with someone who can discuss it logically and with an open mind. 

I'm logical, almost to a fault.  I analyze everything in my life and try to make informed decisions (note: that doesn't necessarily mean I make the right one, just that I usually put some kind of thought into it).  With that logical/analytical approach to life comes a certain level of skepticism.  And, boy, is it easy to introduce some skepticism into religion.  I had a hard time analyzing the concept of religion in light of our science knowledge, and an even harder time dealing with all the historical negative results of religion (wars, terrorism).  Well, I solved the first problem through a book I read called The Language of God by Francis Collins.  He's one of the scientists who worked on the team who decoded the human genome back in the 90s.  It's a great read, even without the religious message in the book.  It's the way he found balance in science vs. faith that really struck a chord with me, that my inherent analytical skeptical intellect could co-exist with a faithful soul.  In other words, faith and reason can co-exist.  The second problem I'm still struggling with, and there's been no shortage of bloodshed on any side (well, maybe the Buddhists; they're pretty harmless Smile).

I don't wear my religion on my sleeve, and I tend to be pretty private in matters of faith (this post notwithstanding).  I get very annoyed with people who are in-your-face about it, whatever their views (including the atheist crowd).  I don't want to be saved, I don't want to be converted, I don't want to hear about the Rapture (oh, wait...that happened last May?  Oh I forgot!!!  Wait, an alarmist religious leader wasn't right??  Shocking!!!  Surprised).  I don't want to hear how God can't possibly exist.  I respect everyone's choice of religion, or not to worship at all.  I truly respect those who give their life's work to do the good work of God; I also appreciate those whose charity has nothing to do with religion.

I've been extremely lucky in my adult life to have a priest who is really good about relating scripture to the modern world, and he has a great sense of humor about the whole thing.  He gets a kick out of us wearing our Ravens gear to Mass on Sunday mornings before we go down to the games.  I think people's views on religion are for better or worse shaped by their experiences with their local parish/congregation/etc.  I was lucky that it's been for the better.

In my adult life I've been a practicing Catholic, so my daughter is also.  We tend to involve ourselves in the Church on more practical matters such as volunteering to put together Easter baskets, running the Angel Tree program, serving community breakfasts, etc., rather than the "spreading the faith" type.  We have our daughter in a non-denominational, though primarily Catholic, Christian-faith-based school for several reasons.  First, the education is top-notch.  Second, they teach Christian values without the overbearing structure of a particular brand of Christianity.  It's also a great alternative to the local Catholic school/parish, which I don't really care for because of an overall arrogance of the leaders there, and the overall culture of the parish (long story on that one...).  We've decided, for better or worse, to raise our daughter that way and let her make her own decisions regarding faith later on...no judgement.  I'm not sure when the appropriate time will be, honestly; I'm kinda playing that by ear. 

In regard to your original question (I think...), I believe your idea of turning a vacation trip into some volunteer work is fantastic, whether it is faith-based or not.  I think it's important to instill inherent values in our children, that just happen to be based on Judeo-Christian ethics.  I don't think you need to be a practicing Judeo-Christian to have those values, though.  Nor do you need to belong to an organized religion to have faith.  You can be moral and not spiritual, and unfortunately vice versa.  The important part, and I can obviously see it because you are asking questions, is that you are PARENTING.  Wow, now there's a novel concept!!

You asked, remember!!  Cool

Ok, So I agree with alot of what you guys believe and I think that Mike and I come from similar perspectives when it comes logical/analytical thinking. Soooooo, that being said,....

My mother is off the boat Irish (she has since got back on the boat and returned) and My father was 1st generation so, yeah, Irish Catholic upbringing. I went to Catholic school in Manhattan but public schools when we moved to LI. I have received 5 of the sacraments but I'm pretty sure the last 2 are off the table  . That being said, I never reeally was a practicing Catholic, just went through the motions.

As my Father got older, he became more spiritual in general but not specific to any one religion. This I found to make alot more sense. I never could accept the idea that my religion is right and yours is wrong so you're going to hell, sorry...sucks for you. Didn't really put much thought into it though, just seemed to make more sense. 

In 1997 my dad was killed in his home during a robbery. Around the same time, I read about a plane crash where a man lost his wife and 2 daughters. Alot came into perspective for me at that time. I didn't get mad at God or anything like that as I don't believe he caused either of these things to happen. They just happen. How you deal with them is up to you. But what helped me get through that time was an appreciation of what I had and the realization that things can always be worse and are for many other people. I appreciated that I had my father for 29 years and he was very good to me. He was at all my games growing up, helped me with college, was at my wedding and helped us have our home built. My wife found her father dead in front of her bedroom one morning when she was 19. She also lost a sister when she was 5. She never got to share with them what I shared with my father yet has always had a great a positive perspective.

For the first time in my life I wanted to know more about spirituality and faith and, like Mike, I started to do some reading to finally came to terms with what I really believe. What I came away with is that regardless of the religion(for the most part you Scientologists out there) the underlying message is basically the same. Try and be a good person, have faith in something more powerful than yourself, treat others properly...basically, do the right thing.(much easier said than done). All the crap that surrounds it is superfluous to me and was shaped by times we no longer live in and societal circumstances that, for the most part, have gone the way of the dinosaur.

Sooo, with all that said. My kids have been raised in the Catholic church. They have been Christened and recieved their first communion. They have been going to CCD for years. I know this may be hypocritical but we wanted to expose them to religion early on then give them the choice to do what they want and make their own decisions on faith. This year we told them they can continue with CCD or not, we think they have a good foundation to make an informed decision and I have explained to them my thoughts on the subject(my wife feels the same way). It's their choice. They chose to continue going to their Catholic religion teaching which I think is great as does my MIL who happens to work for the church.

So, my wife and I are more spiritual and my kids are practicing Catholics....go figure

Edited by Sammeg 2012-02-09 11:13 AM
2012-02-09 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4037815

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
kimmax - 2012-02-09 10:40 AM

Now THAT'S a response!!

I agree with a lot of what you say too.  I think the key is finding a church that you feel good about attending. 

I also teach my child to pay attention to the message - not so much the facts.  I think kids like reading the Bible - especially the Old Testament.  I know I did.  She's read her children's version a number of times. 

On another note - my training SUCKS this week!!  So bloody tired all the time.  I'm just going with it this week.  Hopefully it'll turn around soon.

Dammit!! I wish I read this before my rambling. This sums it up for me.

2012-02-09 11:44 AM
in reply to: #4038097

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Sammeg - 2012-02-09 12:15 PM
kimmax - 2012-02-09 10:40 AM

Now THAT'S a response!!

Dammit!! I wish I read this before my rambling. This sums it up for me.

Yeah, I know, seriously, Marcia just paraphrased my 1000 word ramble into 10 words.

2012-02-09 11:49 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO

ha ha  And I'm often told I'm too loquacious so I'll take that as a compliment!!

Thanks for sharing!  Unlike Ted I blamed and hated God for a long time after the death of some loved ones.  Still not sure I'm 100% resolved on that matter.  But it sounds as though we're all strive for the same thing - to be good people.  To raise children with compassion and good hearts/souls. 

2012-02-10 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4038182

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
And who would have thought that DC's archived mentor group would turn into a sharing of religious beliefs. And, no, I have not been offended in any way. Just find it interesting. And to see that DC has not even weighed in on the topic??? Now that is amazing!!! Just sayin'.
2012-02-20 7:33 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO

Oye!  I need some advice.

November - Had focused on my running and hit 100 miles of running and felt really great.

December - Started slacking off towards the end of the month.  Barely no running over the holidays.

January - basic 20 miles per week - unsure of what plan to follow and just did whatever.  Legs weren't feeling great - nothing seemed to come very easy.  Kept missing my long runs.

February - Feel like crap.  My legs are wound so tightly they hurt.  I've had a couple of massages that were painful - the last one has left me with bruises on my legs.  I've taken some time off to rest them but it doesn't help.  Yesterday I went for an easy 10 miler and had to bail getting only 7 in and my legs are KILLING me.  I went for a swim and my IT bands were actually hurting in the water.  My knee hurt to climb stairs.  I walked a lot the day before but I walk a lot PERIOD.  I'm always on my feet and take the dog out whenever I feel restless or bored. 

My thing is I don't get why - has running less actually resulted in more pain?  I wonder if some of it may be a result of my running with my dog while wearing my winter boots - I will start wearing runners but it's not enough or at a high enough intensity to make such an impact I think.

Anyway - 18 weeks to my HIM and I don't want to rest - I feel the need to ramp it up a bit so I'm feeling a bit panicky.  My immediate plan is to get out my foam roller morning and night and incorporate some yoga/stretch each week.  Is there anything advice any of you can give?  I feel as though I'm rapidly aging and it ain't pretty!!!

Signing off... it IS this old lady's bedtime after all!

2012-02-21 7:30 AM
in reply to: #4057411

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Clearly, I am one to tell folks how not to get injured.

OK...one thing at a time here, but I think they're all going to point to the same result (and you probably don't want to hear it Smile):

1"November - Had focused on my running and hit 100 miles of running and felt really great."

Looks like a really solid month, though I would have spread the mileage out a bit, but it didn't seem to affect you and you felt great.  That was great solid base development that will stay with you a while...more on that later.

2)  "December - Started slacking off towards the end of the month.  Barely no running over the holidays."

This was probably a good thing. but  I don't think you took it far enough.  You didn't have an off-season at all.  I looked at your logs since June of last year and you've averaged around 3 1/2 hours of running a week, with a minimum of 1 1/2 hours for over eight straight months.  I think you might need a month of goofing around, not just a week.

3)  "January - basic 20 miles per week - unsure of what plan to follow and just did whatever.  Legs weren't feeling great - nothing seemed to come very easy.  Kept missing my long runs."

OK...warning bells starting...sounds like a little fatigue setting in.  I think you did a good thing in spreading out your running, but you might have jumped the volume up again too quickly.

4)  "February - Feel like crap.  My legs are wound so tightly they hurt.  I've had a couple of massages that were painful - the last one has left me with bruises on my legs.  I've taken some time off to rest them but it doesn't help.  Yesterday I went for an easy 10 miler and had to bail getting only 7 in and my legs are KILLING me.  I went for a swim and my IT bands were actually hurting in the water.  My knee hurt to climb stairs.  I walked a lot the day before but I walk a lot PERIOD.  I'm always on my feet and take the dog out whenever I feel restless or bored. "

UH-OH...STOP RUNNING NOW!!!!!!!  Get in the pool and swim lightly, do a little water jogging, and some light spinning.  Watch those long walks, they aren't as high-impact as running but they're not zero impact.  Use that foam roller, yes, but be careful on the yoga; some of those poses can be really stressful.  I think yoga does a much better job of preventing injury than curing it.

5)  "Anyway - 18 weeks to my HIM and I don't want to rest - I feel the need to ramp it up a bit so I'm feeling a bit panicky.  My immediate plan is to get out my foam roller morning and night and incorporate some yoga/stretch each week.  Is there anything advice any of you can give?  I feel as though I'm rapidly aging and it ain't pretty!!!"

Re: aging quickly:  welcome to the club, sister!!  Seriously, though, you have plenty of "hay in the barn" with regards to your base so you don't need to worry about 18 weeks.  If we were talking six weeks maybe, but you could take a solid month off and finish a 13-week HIM plan.

DO NOT RUN AGAIN UNTIL THE PAIN SUBSIDES!!!  Not even a little bit.  Have you considered going to an ortho and/or physical therapy?  MY PT experiences have been great and they'll let you know for sure if/when to start running again.  I clearly pushed myself too hard in November and now I have two jacked up knees.

Those IT band issues can really be devastating and can kill a whole season.  Nip this in the bud. 

2012-02-22 9:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia

After an up and down first 6-7 weeks this year, I am beginning to re-evaluate my thoughts about how to approach this year.  I spent Oct, Nov and Dec focusing solely on running and felt like I made good progress running 4-5x week.  Then in January, I changed to a run-focused tri plan w/ 2-swims, 2-bikes and 4-runs per week. 

Unfortunately, I tend to slack on my second swim most weeks (i.e. I am about 50/50 as to whether I even go) and trying to find time for one bike ride some weeks is tough and two is proving to be almost impossible until daylight savings time gets here.  Add that to the foot issue earlier this month and a week of being sick, and I feel like I am losing ground on run as well now. 

In a nutshell, I don't feel like I am working as hard now as I was when I was focusing solely on my run, and the lack of daylight hours is making it difficult to think things will change until DST.

My primary goals remain the same:

1.  Sub 30 minute 5K

2.  Build up to & complete an olympic distance triathlon

3.  Build up to & complete a HM

I am considering going back to a run focused plan for the next 4-6 weeks and maybe looking at more 5K's through the Spring.  I talked with a local HS cross-country coach who laid out a weekly plan for me to build speed though long runs, interval work and hill repeats over the next 6 weeks; but it would require me to run 5-6 times a week.  I can still get in one good swim and possibly one long bike ride in each week to quasi-maintain fitness there.

If I go in that direction, my thought would be to move back to a more tri-focused plan around the end of March/early April.  FWIW, the first sprint I am looking at is the last weekend of April; the oly in September and the HM in November.

Thoughts/suggestions/advice?  Does this make sense?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dream Chaser's 'Set a Goal and Capture it!' Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 60