BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dream Chaser's 'Set a Goal and Capture it!' Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2012-04-08 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3258141

User image

Subject: RE: Dream Chaser's 'Set a Goal and Capture it!' Mentor Group - CLOSED

2012-04-08 8:41 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO

At first I thought this was a kid friendly family movie - ummmmm NO!

I'm in the middle of this movie... it's a bit slow but you runners might like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIupR5Zplw8

2012-04-09 7:02 AM
in reply to: #4137156

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
Dream Chaser - 2012-04-08 9:25 PM

Sorry Ted.  Did everyone see the trailer for his new movie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxKfC77XAp8

Don't judge me cause I need a Thunder Buddy.

2012-04-23 8:14 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO

Hey team!

I'm hoping for some feedback from you guys.  Last year after Muskoka I said I would never do the HIM distance again.  And yet... I made the decision to do Welland.  A local - flat - HIM in June.  That's the main race on my calendar.  My A race and everything else is secondary.  So it's now the end of April and I'm only doing 6 hours a week.  I'm behind in the swim and the bike and my run isn't fun.  I've never been one to race for the sake of racing.  I like to feel like I can give a good performance.  I don't feel like - taking in to account the taper - I can get to where I need to be in 7 weeks.  Am I right to think this?  Do I have a chance at turning this around?  Or should I just change the plan and do a bunch of olympic distance races and focus on speed.  My volume is now good for olympic distances.  My fear is I'll regret my decision come spring when I haven't done the race.  But my schedule as of late is brutal - especially this week.  I also feel like a bit of a quitter but then this is supposed to be fun and it hasn't been feeling that way lately.  Thoughts?

2012-04-23 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4166594

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
kimmax - 2012-04-23 9:14 AM

Hey team!

I'm hoping for some feedback from you guys.  Last year after Muskoka I said I would never do the HIM distance again.  And yet... I made the decision to do Welland.  A local - flat - HIM in June.  That's the main race on my calendar.  My A race and everything else is secondary.  So it's now the end of April and I'm only doing 6 hours a week.  I'm behind in the swim and the bike and my run isn't fun.  I've never been one to race for the sake of racing.  I like to feel like I can give a good performance.  I don't feel like - taking in to account the taper - I can get to where I need to be in 7 weeks.  Am I right to think this?  Do I have a chance at turning this around?  Or should I just change the plan and do a bunch of olympic distance races and focus on speed.  My volume is now good for olympic distances.  My fear is I'll regret my decision come spring when I haven't done the race.  But my schedule as of late is brutal - especially this week.  I also feel like a bit of a quitter but then this is supposed to be fun and it hasn't been feeling that way lately.  Thoughts?

Ok, so take this w/a grain of salt as the title of my blog is "Slacker. First off, there is no question in my mind that you have sufficient base from your consistent training to complete this and better your time from last year's HIM. That said, the most important thing I got from your post was "this is supposed to be fun and it hasn't been feeling that way lately". To me this is a recipe for burnout. If it's not fun what's the point? We all have plenty of stress in our everyday lives and this should be a release from that stress not a contributor. And as far as the quitter thing, in the year+ that I have known you, that is one word that I would NEVER associate with you.

2012-04-23 10:30 AM
in reply to: #4166594

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
kimmax - 2012-04-23 9:14 AM

Hey team!

I think that Sammeg makes valid points. I thought the same thing when I read your comments. Before I share my thoughts, I will say that I tend to be one that pushes forward even when it is not fun or even when I think I might not be ready. Keep that in mind. If you feel that you have the time and energy to train hard up to your race, I say go for it. However, if you are going to be frustrated (not having fun) with every training effort, I say bag it. I will be the first to say that not every training effort is fun for me, but on some level I enjoy doing them. Maybe I just feel accomplished for the day or perhaps I know that it is another building block leading up to a big race for me, but it feels good on some level. I would even go as far to say that sometimes training can be an added stress for me. For example, I spent yesterday mostly in a gym watching my son play hoops when I was suppose to get in a long ride. I did not ride, and that puts a little added stress on me. However, not everything for me can be about training. There needs to be some balance. Still I missed my long ride and that bugs me.

Training for a HIM is a commitment. Not all training sessions are going to be fun. Either find a way to get the fun back in to training, or perhaps it is time for a bit of self reflexion. As in...why do I race/train? Is it important to me?

My two cents.

2012-04-23 11:39 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Thanks for the feedback!! Seriously!  I could relate to what George is saying.  To clarify - I love the training.  Even if the workout scheduled is a tough one.  I enjoy it.  What's not fun is having a plan of what I *should* do and then not being able to deliver it because of life.  And what's even more 'not fun' is that the things getting in the way of my training aren't family or things that I value.  Yesterday as an example - I still have things trickling in from a business that I had so with travel time included I was out of the house from 10-1pm.  Then spending quality time with family.  Then having a family drop off stuff from 5-6 (I'm babysitting this week) and so the only time I could fit in a long run was 6:30-8:30pm which would have had me running in the dark.  I tried but the bugs and allergies got the better of me and so I bailed.  Not fun.  Stresses me when - like George said - I miss the long workouts.  This week I've committed to looking after a little girl and the result is limited training all week = STRESS!  It just feels as though there isn't enough time in my life right now and that's not fun.  I'm resentful ha ha
2012-04-27 10:21 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO
So I listened to everyone's advice and am bailing on the HIM.  The second I made the mental decision I felt like a load had been lifted off my shoulders so I'm thinking that in itself is a sign I made the right decision.  And since that decision I haven't worked out once!!!  That will change as of tomorrow....when our little house guest is returned to her parents!  I also booked us a little holiday but funny story - with all the accounts and flights I almost left hubby in Portland ha ha.  He would have been sooooo pi$$ed!!  
2012-05-04 7:40 AM

User image

All Good things Must come to and End.  This Mentor Group has been fabulous.  Beyond fabulous even.  Heck, it's 16 months since we started the thing and it's still alive.  But the time has come to say Goodbye.

This was one of my favorite shows growing up,  so I feel it it the perfectly appropriate goodbye.  And just like my favorite show, and this Mentor thread, it's not gone forever as the memories will forever last in our hearts. 

2012-05-04 8:05 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO
And there you have it!  Kicked to the curb - tossed from the nest - we're on our own
2012-05-04 8:25 AM
in reply to: #4189956

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island

kimmax - 2012-05-04 9:05 AM And there you have it!  Kicked to the curb - tossed from the nest - we're on our own

I'm rolled up in a fetal ball under my desk sucking my thumb right now.

2012-05-04 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4190003

User image

Master
TORONTO
Sammeg - 2012-05-04 9:25 AM

kimmax - 2012-05-04 9:05 AM And there you have it!  Kicked to the curb - tossed from the nest - we're on our own

Have you built in a little drawer for a blanky and a drink cup holder?

2012-05-04 8:35 AM
in reply to: #4190007

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
kimmax - 2012-05-04 9:27 AM

Hey, stop that! You're not supposed to be posting here!!

2012-05-04 9:15 AM
in reply to: #4190035

User image

Master
TORONTO
Sammeg - 2012-05-04 9:35 AM

You sound really stressed.  Me thinks you need some floury carbs and a little nap

2012-05-04 9:35 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

But, but, but....<sniff> how am I going to race vicariously anymore??  <sniff>

Seriously, though, thanks for being a great, crazy, inspiring mentor, Bobby!

2012-05-04 9:38 AM
in reply to: #4190173

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
kimmax - 2012-05-04 10:15 AM

You sound really stressed.  Me thinks you need some floury carbs and a little nap

Just like George Costanza. 

2012-05-04 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4190238

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
jmhpsu93 - 2012-05-04 10:38 AM
kimmax - 2012-05-04 10:15 AM

Just like George Costanza. 

Oh, the carbs were taken care of last night w/some delicious Pizza....I do like the idea of the nap though.

Dammit!! I posted here again!Yell

2012-05-04 10:09 AM
in reply to: #4189904

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
Dream Chaser - 2012-05-04 8:40 AM

All Good things Must come to and End.  This Mentor Group has been fabulous.  Beyond fabulous even.  Heck, it's 16 months since we started the thing and it's still alive.  But the time has come to say Goodbye.

This was one of my favorite shows growing up,  so I feel it it the perfectly appropriate goodbye.  And just like my favorite show, and this Mentor thread, it's not gone forever as the memories will forever last in our hearts. 

In honor of Bobby's blast from the past ^^^^^^^ I think we should now refer to him as "Sherlock"

Oops, posted again...I can't control myself!!!!

2012-05-04 10:21 AM
in reply to: #4190226

User image

Master
TORONTO
jmhpsu93 - 2012-05-04 10:35 AM

But, but, but....how am I going to race vicariously anymore?? 

x2  The group is only as good as the mentor.  I've been in four groups so far and my experience has been it's either a crazy listing of everyone's daily workouts with no chatter - I don't even think anyone reads the posts - more so a bulletin board people post to OR the mentor is too busy and is never heard from after the first week or two.  So KUDOS TO YOU BOBBY FOR BEING SO AWESOME!!

2012-05-04 11:10 AM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
If this is the end, many many thanks to Bobby and everyone else. This was the best Mentor group I have been part of, even if I was dead weight for most of its existence. You all truly changed the way that I view training and, possibly, even life in general from simply letting me lurk along with you. Now - who has the pizza again? I need a slice!
2012-05-04 11:28 AM
in reply to: #4190363

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
kimmax - 2012-05-04 11:21 AM

x2  The group is only as good as the mentor.  I've been in four groups so far and my experience has been it's either a crazy listing of everyone's daily workouts with no chatter - I don't even think anyone reads the posts - more so a bulletin board people post to OR the mentor is too busy and is never heard from after the first week or two.  So KUDOS TO YOU BOBBY FOR BEING SO AWESOME!!

Totally agree. BEST MENTOR GROUP EVER!! Thanks Sherlock.

2012-05-04 12:24 PM
in reply to: #4190576

Regular

even though I was more of a lurker and occasionally chimed in, I appreciate all your time and feedback.  Thanks for mentoring all of us

best of luck to all on this board.  

I've signed up for my first half in Sept

2012-05-04 8:33 PM

User image

OK, I'm getting emotional now.  It's like that last scene in Bladerunner only it's not raining
2012-05-04 11:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Oh, I see how it is ... you wait til I go out of town and then pack up the house, take the dog and run.  Well, you're not getting away that easy.  I'm calling my lawyer!! 
2012-05-08 10:39 AM
in reply to: #4190576

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Sammeg - 2012-05-04 12:28 PM

kimmax - 2012-05-04 11:21 AM

Totally agree. BEST MENTOR GROUP EVER!! Thanks Sherlock.

I have to say that I have been in at least a couple mentor groups with DC. The first is when I just started training and first started coming to this site. And now this one. I enjoyed them both a great deal. You really can learn a lot from each other and DC has a vast hunger for knowledge which he freely shares. This is helpful on so many levels. So if this is the end, I say, TTFN until we meet again in the next mentor group. If you miss DC much, just pop over to the LP training group. Train on!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dream Chaser's 'Set a Goal and Capture it!' Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 60