BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RE-OPENED Birkierunner's 2013 mentor group - RE-OPENED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2012-12-27 5:46 AM
in reply to: #4549059

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Birkierunner's 2013 mentor/training group - OPEN

Birkierunner - 2012-12-26 8:36 PM

If you can get out of the water with a huge margin on others in your age group you simply need to acquire the bike strength and run ability to get that KQ in 2014.  I'd love to help you out trying to reach that goal.

That has been my thinking.  I am fairly comfortable with the swim.  Back in high-school, I transferred schools so that I could swim.  That resulted in me riding 10.3 miles each way to get to/from school.  100 miles per week plus the 100+ mile rides with friends on the occasional weekend and I have some idea what it is like to put in decent miles (OK, I acknowledge it was 30 years ago).  It is just that darn run thing - that is my weak link.  I started a C25K program and am about half way through that.  I had to find a way to "make the run my friend" so I entered the Indianapolis 500 Festival Mini-Marathon on May 4th.  The turn around is a lap around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway - hallowed ground if you are a racing fan like myself.  That got me motivated to start running.  I have 127 days to get ready for that so any pointers from anyone will be GREATLY appreciated.  Right now my training is focused on running, a little weights, with the occasional swim.  After the mini, I will change over to a more balanced "Tri" program.

Again, thanks in advance for any and all comments or pointers.

2012-12-27 8:33 AM
in reply to: #4549297

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
cklaebe - 2012-12-27 1:11 AM

Hi I would like to join your group if possible I have not done anything exciting as you all, but hope to complete my first Tri long distance this month. I am from Australia so I have to convert all your pounds to kgs My only claim to fame is that I have competed at high level field hockey, state O35's, O40's and O45's age groups, plus playing in Masters games and Pan Pacific games.

I have used a beginners tri program to start my training and so far I love it. I am 46yrs old and have 2 wonderful children.

Thanks

Carrol

Welcome Carrol....still plenty of room.   And...nice to add even more to our group's international flavor.  When you say you're doing a long distance tri later this month what distance are you talking about?  Hmmm...field hockey...ya got me on that one!

2012-12-27 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4549292

User image

Pro
Brechtiej - 2012-12-27 12:31 AM
Birkierunner - 2012-12-27 3:27 PM
Brechtiej - 2012-12-26 9:42 AM
Birkierunner - 2012-12-27 4:30 AM
Brechtiej - 2012-12-26 12:43 AM
Birkierunner - 2012-12-26 12:53 PM
Brechtiej - 2012-12-25 2:27 PM

I ride yesterday and today 35 minutes on the bike indoor on a heart rate of 65%. So I built it easy up and try it on a low heart rate, it's also better for losing some weight. Tips are always welcome.

Nice job on the ride!  What type of indoor trainer do you have?   What are you basing your 65% HR on...in other words, what is the 65% in relation to?

65 % of my maximum heart rate. So it's around 130 bpm.
And i'm training on bicycle rollers (don't know if you understand), rollers where i put my bicycle up and just ride inside, because outside it's to cold, dark and bad weather Laughing

I'm familiar with rollers but I don't trust myself on trying to use them   I think I'd be crashing on it all the time because I wouldn't pay attention.  I use a Computrainer and either use a workout that I've programmed or one of the new ErgVideo workouts that I ordered this fall.  I'm curious how you determined your max HR of 200?

There was some formular on the internet/books that you have to do 220 - your age. So I'm 22 years old.

It's not 100 % correct, but it's very close. So I think a maximum heart rate of 198 is maybe logical? I don't know, I think training on a heart rate on 130 isn't that bad?

Tomorrow I will go for a swim, it's along time ago but we will start back the trainings.

There is a very famous (infamous) thread in the Triathlon Talk forum (here) about using the age minus 220 formula.  The bottom line is, its not very reliable and is better approached through some very simple field testing which we can discuss.  Training at 130 might not be bad, but we won't know until some additional work....we need to discuss what that heart rate is in relation to other training intensities. 

How do you mean?
I'm here in the group to learn some things Wink

Absolutely!  Learning is what the group is all about.  I didn't want to dive into a big discussion yet of simple field testing to determine what your training intensities should be until we let the group get a little larger so that everyone can view the information at the same time and ask questions.  In a nutshell though, we can see how you perform at some field tests like running for a set distance and determine your average heart rate, or swim a certain distance, or a simple bike test and we can take those results to set up your training heart rates for various types of workouts.  Some of these tests are outlined in the thread I mentioned above. 

2012-12-27 8:50 AM
in reply to: #4549329

User image

Pro
k9car363 - 2012-12-27 5:46 AM

If you can get out of the water with a huge margin on others in your age group you simply need to acquire the bike strength and run ability to get that KQ in 2014.  I'd love to help you out trying to reach that goal.

That has been my thinking.  I am fairly comfortable with the swim.  Back in high-school, I transferred schools so that I could swim.  That resulted in me riding 10.3 miles each way to get to/from school.  100 miles per week plus the 100+ mile rides with friends on the occasional weekend and I have some idea what it is like to put in decent miles (OK, I acknowledge it was 30 years ago).  It is just that darn run thing - that is my weak link.  I started a C25K program and am about half way through that.  I had to find a way to "make the run my friend" so I entered the Indianapolis 500 Festival Mini-Marathon on May 4th.  The turn around is a lap around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway - hallowed ground if you are a racing fan like myself.  That got me motivated to start running.  I have 127 days to get ready for that so any pointers from anyone will be GREATLY appreciated.  Right now my training is focused on running, a little weights, with the occasional swim.  After the mini, I will change over to a more balanced "Tri" program.

Scott, its great that you've got a goal race in mind for May.  What distance is the mini marathon?  I guess my first reaction to your plan to be run-focused until May is that you will lose a lot of time that could also be spent trying to acquire your bike fitness as well.  If Kona truly is your goal for 2014 that is going to require a lot of work on your run AND bike.  I understand your desire to overcome the running issue and that's important.  But....the key to a good Ironman marathon is to also come off the bike ready to run that marathon.  And, the only way to do that is to build your bike fitness as well.  I'm afraid if you wait 5 months to start your bike training you will have lost valuable time.  Biking will also be a good way to incorporate no impact training into your routine because a run focus program can take a toll on a beginning runner. 

Edited by Birkierunner 2012-12-27 8:56 AM
2012-12-27 9:48 AM
in reply to: #4549297

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA
cklaebe - 2012-12-27 2:11 AM

My only claim to fame is that I have competed at high level field hockey, state O35's, O40's and O45's age groups, plus playing in Masters games and Pan Pacific games.

Thanks

Carrol

My 8 year-old has completely fallen in love with Field Hockey, the one sport offered in our area that I know absolutely NOTHING about.  

2012-12-27 10:30 AM
in reply to: #4542585

User image

Pro

In order for us to be able to communicate with each other I've created a table with everyone's first name, BT username and hotlink to their BT blog, and location.  Some of you have your blog's blocked to those who aren't currently on your BT friends list.  If you'd like us to have access to your blogs so we can touch bases with you and be able to view your training logs you can add all of us to your friends list....totally optional of course.   If you have a question mark in any of the columns you can let me know the information.  In the past I had a hard time keeping track of names and blog sites so hopefully this table will help all of us.  Feel free to visit each other's blogs and leave "inspires" to cheer each other on or just say hello or check race results, etc.   Also, if you know your race schedule for the upcoming months you can add those to the race listing section of your blog.  When you do that, you will be able to see who else on BT will be attending those races and make contact with them if you wish.  Each race listing will have a link to a discussion thread for that particular race which is also a nice feature of BT. 

I have also pasted this table into my first entry of this thread on page one for easy access.

First name    BT name and blog siteLocation      
NeilGoFasterOntario
BrechtBrechtiejBelgium
MichaelMandsberryVirginia
Micahelneweyes?
ToddtreiWisconsin
GarygsussmanOregon
Scottk9car363Indiana
Carrolcklaebe?
DaveRITri Rhode Island  
Georgegatjr33 ?
 BretbmasonIllinois 

Edited by Birkierunner 2012-12-27 2:34 PM

2012-12-27 11:37 AM

My first name is Brecht. So now you have all the information Laughing
2012-12-27 11:41 AM

User image

Westerly

Hi Jim, I have never competed in a Triathlon before but have been thinking about it for the last few years.  I feel that I am a very competitive person and could benefit from your guidance and experience.

NAME: Dave --  RITri = Rhode Island Tri  

STORY: I am a 45 year old Program Manager for a State Child Protection Agency.  I guess I am trying to recapture my youth by getting in the best shape of my life.  I was very invested in my kids and family when all the kids lived at home and were involved in several different activities.  I guess I used that as a sort of excuse to stay out of the gym and off of the roads and bike paths.  When my kids started to get a life on their own, I found I had some free time and nothing to do with it.  I joined a gym a few years ago and have been going on a regular basis.  In high school I was a pretty good athlete and captain of the basketball, track and soccer team.  While in college, I played rugby for two years and had a very short stay on the track team.  

Even though I have been hitting the gym for the last few years, I never worked out off of a workout plan.  I read a lot on the internet about nutrition and fitness as well as Men's Health.  Although this gives me a wide overall perspective, I never really focused on my workouts.  I would do what I thought was enough and try to eat right.  This worked for me in getting off a few unwanted pounds and made my doctor happy.  I have a few injury problems along the way that still plague me.  I have come up with several work arounds but still the problem lingers.  I have tight calves and if I am not careful they pull easily.  Last spring I bought my first road bike and road it consistently though out the summer into the fall.  I found that this helped keep my calves somewhat in check and it was possible to ride my bike even if my calves didn't feel up to par.  I logged about 1000 miles during the summer on my bike, with a few rides over 50 miles.  I completed a few bricks this summer as well in an effort to get used to the transitions.  Most of them were 15+ mile bike rides and 3+ mile Runs.

Towards the end of the summer, I thought I would enter a sprint Tri that was being held near my home.  I live a mile or so from the ocean and have always been around water.  I thought that I could "swim" well enough to enter but thought I would get some goggles and see if I could swim for 40 minutes or so.  I would run to the local beach which was about three miles away and swim for a while and run home.  My son also came on his bike which made this even more fun.  What I quickly came to realize was riding the waves and frolicking in the surf was not "swimming."  I had a very difficult time hitting my stride in the water and quickly became disoriented and breathless.  I continued do this for a few times and even took a lesson from my lifeguard son.  In the end, i decided that the terra firma challenges were more for me, however, never lost the craving to challenge myself with a triathlon.  My current gym membership is about to run out and i am about to join our local YMCA which was newly renovated and has a beautiful pool.

FAMILY STATUS:  I am married to a wonderful woman named Molly for 19 years and have three great kids, Dan 23, who is on his way to being a Paramedic, Miranda 19 who is in college and out on her own, and Sam age 15 who is in High school.

CURRENT TRAINING:
 I go to the gym several times a week and if it is warm enough on the weekends, I go for a 6 mile run.  At the gym I use the Cybex Arc trainer or the Cybex Summit trainer.  I also use the treadmill (although not my favorite) and recently started incorporating a 5k row to start my workouts.  I never liked weight lifting so I don't do it on a consistent basis.  When I was getting ready for the Tough Mudders we did a lot of circuit training and trail running on hills.Just ordered the Triathlete's Training Bible by Joe Friel.  I use a HR strap at the gym and yesterday purchased the Timex Ironman HR watch from Amazon.

2012 RACES: Two Tough Mudders, One at Mount Snow VT in May and one at a New Jersey speedway in October.  My first race ever was a half marathon in September of 2012.  I finished in 1:42 minutes.  My first 5 k in November (20:49) and I did a 4.2 mile race in October, finished third in my age group :-).

2013 RACES: None scheduled as of yet. I am planning on doing a couple of half marathons, some 5k or 10k road or trail races and a triathlon or two.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I am 6' 1" and about 195-200 pounds.  When I started working out a couple of years ago, I was around 220 to 225.  I am looking to get toned up a bit more and perhaps find where I left my six pack.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I am dedicated to doing a triathlon and take direction well.  I am inquisitive and competitive.  I am hoping to add to the group and once I start something, I finish it.  I don't know many people who have the same desires that i have when it comes to training so a group of like minded people with whom I can converse with may be just what I need to guide me in the right direction. 

2012-12-27 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4549960

User image

Pro
RITri - 2012-12-27 11:41 AM

Hi Jim, I have never competed in a Triathlon before but have been thinking about it for the last few years.  I feel that I am a very competitive person and could benefit from your guidance and experience.

NAME: Dave --  RITri = Rhode Island Tri  

Glad to have you join the group Dave!  I have added your information to our members table.  Looking forward to helping you on your triathlon journey.

2012-12-27 12:10 PM

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
I would like to join, if there is still room.

Name: George

Story: Former football/basketball player that started running in an effort to stay in shape. Had an opportunity to race in a local tri (sprint) and thought it would be no problem. I could run, I had an old mountain bike and I used to swim when I was a kid (45 now). The race should be no problem. I swam a few laps before the race so I should be good to go. Well, the 1/2 mile swim sure put the reality of the race in perspective. Having survived (barely) the swim, I pounded out the bike and ran on noodle legs to the finish line. It was not the kind of fun that I thought it would be. It was hard. I was spent. But then, I was hooked for life! I have been competing in tri's and running races for the last 10 years.

Race History: I have completed a number of tri's from sprints to IM's. IMUSA in Lake Placid is my A race each year. I am not up front chasing the leaders. I am a middle of the packer in all respects.

2013 races: A couple of 5k/10K's, Tupper Lake 70.3, IMUSA, Timberman 70.3 and whatever shorter stuff I decide to toss in the mix.

Family: I have a wonderful wife and two teenagers that make up the best tri support group in the world! Seriously, they are very supportive and enjoy all of the events. They also participate in some of the shorter races as well.

Goals: I have had a couple of injuries slow me down over the past couple of years. My training got off track. I look to refocus my efforts and enjoy my race season.

Weight: My weight has always been an issue. I train to race, but I train to stay somewhat fit. I love to cook and eat so the training is a must. I tend to add on a few pounds this time of year. Part of my early season training will be to drop some pounds.

Why might I add some value to the group? Well, I have been racing long enough to have made many, many mistakes. I hopefully have learned from them and might be able to help some folks not make those same mistakes. Also, there is so much to learn in the sport, that I look forward to learning from the group.
2012-12-27 12:11 PM

User image

Westerly
Great news, looking forward to the journey.

2012-12-27 12:18 PM
in reply to: #4550024

User image

Pro

gatjr33 - 2012-12-27 12:10 PM I would like to join, if there is still room. Name: George Story: Former football/basketball player that started running in an effort to stay in shape. Had an opportunity to race in a local tri (sprint) and thought it would be no problem. I could run, I had an old mountain bike and I used to swim when I was a kid (45 now).

Still room in the group George...welcome!  Learning from our mistakes (and we've all made tons of them) and sharing the knowledge is what is great about BT.  Looking forward to cheering you on to your A race at Placid. 

2012-12-27 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4549814

User image

Jim, I'm in Wisconsin also.  Forgot to mention that in my initial entry
2012-12-27 1:40 PM

User image

Name: Bret Mason (46)

Story:  Typical of most...High School Athlete, life happened with career, wonderful wife of 23 year this June, Four sons from 19-10 years of age.  Several years ago decided to do p90x to keep age from gaining on me.  After completing that I thought... what next and went to local bike shop to look for a $500 bike and came out with a $2500 bike and desire to ride.  I have always been a runner so I thought I only have one more piece and I could do a triathlon.  Long story short, in the last 5 years, I have run 3 marathons (3:30 ish), upgraded bikes (one is never enough I have found), competed in 4-5 tris a year, including Racine HIM last year. Even have my wife running with me and has done Chicago marathon last two years with me (she had never ran more than 1/2 mile 4 years ago).

The Bad Side....I Have had shoulder issues for years and finally after all the swimming and doing crossfit, had a full thickness tear in rotator cuff. November 16th, had a full repair with screws and whole bit and am chomping to get back in to training.  I debated joining the blog but thought it would keep me fired up and motivated.  They say I am about a week out from running again and they want me to rebuild slowly.  I am still in PT three times a week but am determined to do some spring races even if my strength is not 100%.

I live in central Illinois and saw that coach is a wildlife biologist and thought what a fit.  My boys and I are avid bowhunters and son in college is majoring in Environmental Science wants to be a wildlife biologist.

Races this Year  I want to do some locals and I am going to Maui this June and saw they have an OLY.  This is my first real target race after recovery.

What Makes me a good Mentee: I continually want to learn and get movtivation from others and encourage others.   The more we learn, the more we know what we dont know!

God Bless everyone in the new year!

2012-12-27 2:33 PM
in reply to: #4550188

User image

Pro
bmason - 2012-12-27 1:40 PM

Name: Bret Mason (46)

Story:  Typical of most...High School Athlete, life happened with career, wonderful wife of 23 year this June, Four sons from 19-10 years of age.  Several years ago decided to do p90x to keep age from gaining on me.  After completing that I thought... what next and went to local bike shop to look for a $500 bike and came out with a $2500 bike and desire to ride.  I have always been a runner so I thought I only have one more piece and I could do a triathlon.  Long story short, in the last 5 years, I have run 3 marathons (3:30 ish), upgraded bikes (one is never enough I have found), competed in 4-5 tris a year, including Racine HIM last year. Even have my wife running with me and has done Chicago marathon last two years with me (she had never ran more than 1/2 mile 4 years ago).

Welcome Bret!  I never thought my job as a wildlife biologist would attract someone to my mentor group :-)  Hopefully you can conquer that injury and have some fun racing this summer.

2012-12-27 2:36 PM
in reply to: #4549566

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Birkierunner - 2012-12-27 9:50 AM
k9car363 - 2012-12-27 5:46 AM

Scott, its great that you've got a goal race in mind for May.  What distance is the mini marathon?  I guess my first reaction to your plan to be run-focused until May is that you will lose a lot of time that could also be spent trying to acquire your bike fitness as well.  If Kona truly is your goal for 2014 that is going to require a lot of work on your run AND bike.  I understand your desire to overcome the running issue and that's important.  But....the key to a good Ironman marathon is to also come off the bike ready to run that marathon.  And, the only way to do that is to build your bike fitness as well.  I'm afraid if you wait 5 months to start your bike training you will have lost valuable time.  Biking will also be a good way to incorporate no impact training into your routine because a run focus program can take a toll on a beginning runner. 

The Mini is a half marathon, 13.1 miles.  I hope to run the whole thing but realistically, I may be run/walking the last part of it given that it is only 4 months away.  When I entered the mini, I did it through a local running club.  Doing it that way gave me membership to the club for a year plus access to the club coaches/trainers.  I chatted with one of them and he is the one that suggested I focus solely on running until after the mini.  Frankly that didn't make much sense to me at the time but I figured "he is the expert," so followed his guidance.  I forgot one of the cardinal rules I had back in the day; know why you are doing what you are doing in training and what it is going to accomplish.  I am beginning to see a pattern - if the coach is not directly involved with triathlon, he/she probably does not fully understand the needs of a triathlete.  I ran in to the same thing with a swimming coach a couple months ago but knew enough to be able to recognize the advice was incorrect (at least in my opinion).  Thank you for setting me straight.

Now I just need to figure out how to ride on snow and ice...

2012-12-27 2:48 PM

User image

New user

Hey Jim, Happy Holidays! I'm looking to join a group that has a little bit of everything from beginner to experienced and it looks like you have all of that covered. Plus yur experience looks great. So, do you have room for 1 more?

NAME: Fakes7 / Chris F

STORY:  Let's see... my story... I am a 41 year old Beginner to Triathalons. However, not an athletic newby. I have been involved in sports for most of my life and still play adult soocer, kickbox, lift weights and do 5Ks fairly regularly. Last year I ramped it up a bit and did a 10K plus the tough mudder. This year, I am looking to branch out into the world of Triathalon because the events vary (which keeps me interested - I get bored just running), I want to get in better overall shape and, honestly, the challenge just looks fun!

I have the equipment and a decent place to train (a local YMCA that is brand new and has equipment / pools busting out of the walls). So, now it's all on me....

FAMILY STATUS: Divorced with two great young kids that I have 1/2 the time. Aside from motivation, this is my largest hurdle because I enjoy the time with my kids and hate losing any of it. I'll make the sacrifice though. 

CURRENT TRAINING:
I've kind of taken it easy since November and just started working out again a couple weeks ago. I will mostly run short distance, kickbox or ride the bike a few times each week.  Last year really consisted of training for the mudder and a few 5ks as well as playing soccer twice each week which is saying much of anything. I have never really focused on time, speed or my heart rate. So, this will be a bit of a different approach for me.

Also, I have never really swam for speed or distance. I can swim very good ut never for something like this. I started working at this last week and I must say that these muscles are "under-developed" based on the soreness of my shoulders and lats.

2012 RACES: 3 5k's and the Tough Mudder.

2013 RACES: My ultimate goal is to get a couple Sprint-Tri's in this year. There is a short on on 4/30 that I'd love to be ready for and get my feet wet. However, my town has a little longer version in July that is what I'd really like to compete in and do better than just finish! Anything else this year is a bonus!

WEIGHTLOSS: I go back and forth with weight all the time. Right now i'm 5'9" and about 195 lbs which is heavy for me. I can get down to about 180 pretty easily with focus but I never get much lighter. For these events though, I'd like to get to abotu 175 and be a bit lighter.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am excited, motived, outgoing and really do well when pushed by a group. Call it competition or jsut positive reinforcement but it seems to work for me. I want to contribute in any way that I can to not only reach my goals but help others reach theirs as well.

Looking forward to a great year!

Chris

2012-12-27 3:17 PM
in reply to: #4550335

User image

Pro
Fakes7 - 2012-12-27 2:48 PM

Hey Jim, Happy Holidays! I'm looking to join a group that has a little bit of everything from beginner to experienced and it looks like you have all of that covered. Plus yur experience looks great. So, do you have room for 1 more?

NAME: Fakes7 / Chris F

Hey Chris!  Yes we still have room since I'm shooting for approx 15 members.  As you mention, time management with your kids will be a challenge but hopefully you won't have to give up much "kid time".  Depending on their age maybe there's a way to combine the training with your kids?  Looks like you have some potential goal races so we can help you get there!  Welcome!

2012-12-27 3:20 PM
in reply to: #4550307

User image

Pro
k9car363 - 2012-12-27 2:36 PM

Any chance of picking up a decent indoor bike trainer (used ones for sale all the time) or do you have access to decent indoor bikes at a gym?  Given your goals, I don't think skimping on the bike training is a good option.

2012-12-27 3:23 PM

User image

Pro
First name   BT name and blog siteLocation     
NeilGoFasterOntario
BrechtBrechtiejBelgium
MichaelMandsberryVirginia
Michaelneweyes?
ToddtreiWisconsin
GarygsussmanOregon
Scottk9car363Indiana
Carrolcklaebe?
DaveRITriRhode Island  
Georgegatjr33 
BretbmasonIllinois
ChrisFakes7?
Erikgbswan Wisconsin 
ElizabethevargasCalifornia

Tim               timjim987                   Missouri
Paul              pmoores                      Canada

Edited by Birkierunner 2012-12-27 6:53 PM
2012-12-27 3:50 PM

Regular

I'd love to get aboard here.  As a fellow Badger, with a daughter who wants to be a field biologist, you seem like the right guy to help me advance in my endeavors. 

I did my first sprint in 2011.  I was having an awesome offseason heading into 2012 when I split both shins open at the end of May working a swim meet and was told not to run or swim until July 1.  Good bye Tri Season.  Hello to a bunch of cycling and successful completion of Race the Lake which is a 90 mile ride around Lake Winnebago in Wisconsin.  It was an awesome experience that convinced me that I can go long in a tri some day.  Goals for this season, two duathlons, a sprint tri, an olympic tri, a repeat of Race the Lake and the Door County Century in September.

I need to get back in the pool and get after the running again while maintaining cycling fitness.

Looking forward to the interaction.

Erik

Edited by gbswan 2012-12-27 3:51 PM

2012-12-27 4:13 PM

New user

California

Hi Jim,  I'd love to join if you're still taking newbies  

NAME: evargas/ Elizabeth

STORY: I am a 45 year old Beginner Triathlete.  I started running about 10 years ago, but mostly for fitness.  Never ran any organized races/events until my first 10K about 5 years ago.  After a few running injuries, I started riding a bike and stopped running (my doctor's advice)  Well I fired him and started running again earlier this year.  Just working on base, but I did run the Nike Women's Marathon in SF this year.  Tons of fun. I finished, but it was slow.  My goal was to finish without injury and I did that.  I was hoping for under 5 hours, and missed it by under 2 minutes :/  Anyways,  I've biked quite a bit.  Lots of mountains to climb here in California  I completed the Death Ride this year...15,000 ft of climbing in 129 miles.  I'm signed up again for next year.  I completed a sprint distance, Tri for Fun about 3 years ago, but due to my running injuries I never completed any others.  My boyfriend is a triathlete and everytime I go watch him race, I get the fever to try again.  Now that I've learned a little more about how to keep injuries at bay, I think I'm ready to "tri" again.  I'm hoping with some mentorship I can get there.  I've joined a local tri-cub, but it's a little intimidating and can be quite "clickish"  This forum sounds more up my ally  

FAMILY STATUS: Single with 2 great sons, 24 and 28.  Jason who is 28 is an avid cross fitter, and going to do the GORUCK Challenge in January.  So great to see him active after he broke his back 4 years ago snow sledding.  We are trying to motivate his younger brother with some fitness equipment for Christmas!

CURRENT TRAINING:
 I'm currently training for the double 1/2 marathons on NYE and NYD to equal the longest marathon ever to complete...taking 1 year to do it  I bike at least twice a week, run 3 x's a week, weight train 3 x's a week.  I need to make time for swimming, my weakest link.  I'm a self taught swimmer at the age of 40.  

2012 RACES: Two 1/2 marathons, 1 full marathon. The Death Ride, Alta Alpina Sierra Mountain Challenge, various other fundraising events, and a Mud Run.

2013 RACES: My ultimate goal is to complete a 70.3 distance, but the swim may hold me back.  NYD 1/2 marathon, the Hollywood 1/2 marathon, the Death Ride (this one is daunting :/).  I'd like some advice on a good race to pick for my 70.3.  

WEIGHTLOSS: Not really an issue for me, but I'd like to build some lean muscle and get stronger.  

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am excited but a little scared, motivated and nervous.  I seem to do better when pushed by a group.  I never want to let the team down.  My boyfriend is a great motivator, but not a great coach/trainer.  He even admits that, but he will try.  He's much faster than I, but we can usually plan a workout where I have a handicap and we can race it out or plan to finish around the same time.  I also have a great group of ladies I run with.  They are mostly marathoners, which makes for great training partners when training for the longer distances.  My weakness is the SWIM, so any suggestions on this would be great.  Oh, and how does one fit it all in???

Here goes....I'm hitting the submit button...

2012-12-27 4:56 PM

St Louis
Hello  - I would like to join the group 

NAME: Tim

STORY:   I have always been fairly active in various sports.  In the last three years have become determined to become more fit.  Guess it's a middle age crisis as 57. 

FAMILY STATUS: Partnered for the last 25 years.  Partner involved more in running and keeps me motivated there.

CURRENT TRAINING: Doing intensive swimming training 3 times per week with a Tri-swim group.  Train with weights 2 times per week, run 4 times per week and bike 2 times per week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  Planned:  Concentrate on sprint ditance early in the season and an Olympic late season.

2012 RACES:  First triathlon was a short sprint in April....1st in AG (small event).  Longer sprint (lake swim) in August and International distance one in Miami. 

WEIGHTLOSS: Concentrating on maintaining.  Gained 12 lbs this year to get back to the 150s.  Height is 5 11

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: Fairly new at this but know that it helps me when I am involved with a group.  Guess a little bit of peer pressure.

2012-12-27 5:02 PM

New user

St. John's

Hey Jim,

I would love to join your group. I am a 47 year old Clydesdale (6'2", 230lbs) and have completed 3 sprint tri's. One on a dare 3 years ago and two this summer. I actually finished second in my age group. I have always been an athlete, at an elite level in basketball and hockey, and used to run "back in the day". Of the three events swimming I think is my strong suit. I have commited to entering the Half Ironman in Muskoka in September. I am a sales manager at a very large car dealership and I work at least 50 hours a week in the spring months (my biggest challenge). Looking forward to your mentorship.

Paul

2012-12-27 5:26 PM
in reply to: #4550402

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Birkierunner - 2012-12-27 4:20 PM
k9car363 - 2012-12-27 2:36 PM

Any chance of picking up a decent indoor bike trainer (used ones for sale all the time) or do you have access to decent indoor bikes at a gym?  Given your goals, I don't think skimping on the bike training is a good option.

Only have cardio bikes in the gym here at the condo.  The gym where the pool is that I use has spin bikes, that is an hour away.  I would be doing "bike"-swim combos since it is so far.  I can check in to an indoor bike trainer.  Hopefully the snow/ice will be gone in another day or two.

Any recommendations on a good bike trainer?  Money is not an issue within reason.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RE-OPENED Birkierunner's 2013 mentor group - RE-OPENED!!! Rss Feed  

of 25