BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RE-OPENED Birkierunner's 2013 mentor group - RE-OPENED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2012-12-27 6:25 PM
in reply to: #4550562

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Birkierunner's 2013 mentor/training group - OPEN
k9car363 - 2012-12-27 5:26 PM

Only have cardio bikes in the gym here at the condo.  The gym where the pool is that I use has spin bikes, that is an hour away.  I would be doing "bike"-swim combos since it is so far.  I can check in to an indoor bike trainer.  Hopefully the snow/ice will be gone in another day or two.

Any recommendations on a good bike trainer?  Money is not an issue within reason.

I've never owned one, but I consistently see the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine cited as an excellent indoor trainer ($380 new).  Perhaps others in the group can comment on it or other brands.   I have a Computrainer Pro that I absolutely love and its bomb-proof.  But its very expensive at around $1700 new - they are offering 0% 12 month financing again.  Also, you could look on eBay or Craiglist or the BT or other tri forums For Sale section for used machines.  For time management purposes and for being able to devote quality time to bike training in winter I would suggest an indoor trainer if you can swing the $$

2012-12-27 6:27 PM
in reply to: #4550453

User image

Pro
gbswan - 2012-12-27 3:50 PM

I'd love to get aboard here.  As a fellow Badger, with a daughter who wants to be a field biologist, you seem like the right guy to help me advance in my endeavors. 

I did my first sprint in 2011.  I was having an awesome offseason heading into 2012 when I split both shins open at the end of May working a swim meet and was told not to run or swim until July 1.  Good bye Tri Season.  Hello to a bunch of cycling and successful completion of Race the Lake which is a 90 mile ride around Lake Winnebago in Wisconsin.  It was an awesome experience that convinced me that I can go long in a tri some day.  Goals for this season, two duathlons, a sprint tri, an olympic tri, a repeat of Race the Lake and the Door County Century in September.

I need to get back in the pool and get after the running again while maintaining cycling fitness.

Looking forward to the interaction.

Erik

Great to have you on board Erik!  Duathlons are a great early season race format to get ready for triathlon season.  The Door County area is beautiful...I did the Fall 50 race up there a few years ago.  Welcome!

2012-12-27 6:38 PM
in reply to: #4550397

User image

New user

Not a bad idea about getting them involved. They're a little young but I can give it a shot. Thanks for the advice.
2012-12-27 6:38 PM
in reply to: #4550486

User image

Pro
evargas - 2012-12-27 4:13 PM

Hi Jim,  I'd love to join if you're still taking newbies  

NAME: evargas/ Elizabeth

STORY: I am a 45 year old Beginner Triathlete.  I started running about 10 years ago, but mostly for fitness.  Never ran any organized races/events until my first 10K about 5 years ago.  After a few running injuries, I started riding a bike and stopped running (my doctor's advice)  Well I fired him and started running again earlier this year.  Just working on base, but I did run the Nike Women's Marathon in SF this year.  Tons of fun. I finished, but it was slow.  My goal was to finish without injury and I did that.  I was hoping for under 5 hours, and missed it by under 2 minutes :/  Anyways,  I've biked quite a bit.  Lots of mountains to climb here in California  I completed the Death Ride this year...15,000 ft of climbing in 129 miles.  I'm signed up again for next year.  I completed a sprint distance, Tri for Fun about 3 years ago, but due to my running injuries I never completed any others.  My boyfriend is a triathlete and everytime I go watch him race, I get the fever to try again.  Now that I've learned a little more about how to keep injuries at bay, I think I'm ready to "tri" again.  I'm hoping with some mentorship I can get there.  I've joined a local tri-cub, but it's a little intimidating and can be quite "clickish"  This forum sounds more up my ally  

Here goes....I'm hitting the submit button...

Submitted...and accepted! Welcome Elizabeth.  Ha!...I like the concept of the NYE/NYD half marathons to equal the longest marathon ever.  Oceanside 70.3 is a popular race in CA but I don't race much on the west coast so don't have any other recommendations.  The ironman.com website has all the 70.3 races listed on their site.  As for fitting in all the training...ah...the million dollar question.  Its always a challenge but its a matter of figuring out how many hours you realistically have available, what are your goals, designing a basic weekly pattern that you can repeat and making adjustments as your progress....we're here to help.

2012-12-27 6:42 PM
in reply to: #4550646

User image

Pro

Fakes7 - 2012-12-27 6:38 PM Not a bad idea about getting them involved. They're a little young but I can give it a shot. Thanks for the advice.

I never had my own kids so I'm not the best to ask.  Although my girlfriend has a 4 year old that has made me think outside the box.  We've done lots of runs with the type of baby carriage designed for runners. Maybe find a pool that has a kiddie section with lifeguards or kiddie classes while you get in a swim.  If they're old enough to ride bikes maybe have them ride with you as you run on a multi-use path or similar.   Get creative and have fun!

2012-12-27 6:57 PM
in reply to: #4550542

User image

Pro
pmoores - 2012-12-27 5:02 PM

Hey Jim,

I would love to join your group. I am a 47 year old Clydesdale (6'2", 230lbs) and have completed 3 sprint tri's. One on a dare 3 years ago and two this summer. I actually finished second in my age group. I have always been an athlete, at an elite level in basketball and hockey, and used to run "back in the day". Of the three events swimming I think is my strong suit. I have commited to entering the Half Ironman in Muskoka in September. I am a sales manager at a very large car dealership and I work at least 50 hours a week in the spring months (my biggest challenge). Looking forward to your mentorship.

Paul

You're in Paul....and now we're approaching a FULL group.  Is St. John's in Newfoundland or is that St. John, New Brunswick??...sorry my Canadian geography is a little rusty.  I hear a lot of good things about the Muskoka race...one I'd like to do some day.  Sounds like you have some time management issues as well, so hopefully we can help you manage that.  Welcome!

2012-12-27 7:00 PM
in reply to: #4550531

User image

Pro
timjim987 - 2012-12-27 4:56 PM Hello  - I would like to join the group 

NAME: Tim

STORY:   I have always been fairly active in various sports.  In the last three years have become determined to become more fit.  Guess it's a middle age crisis as 57. 

FAMILY STATUS: Partnered for the last 25 years.  Partner involved more in running and keeps me motivated there.

CURRENT TRAINING: Doing intensive swimming training 3 times per week with a Tri-swim group.  Train with weights 2 times per week, run 4 times per week and bike 2 times per week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  Planned:  Concentrate on sprint ditance early in the season and an Olympic late season.

2012 RACES:  First triathlon was a short sprint in April....1st in AG (small event).  Longer sprint (lake swim) in August and International distance one in Miami. 

WEIGHTLOSS: Concentrating on maintaining.  Gained 12 lbs this year to get back to the 150s.  Height is 5 11

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: Fairly new at this but know that it helps me when I am involved with a group.  Guess a little bit of peer pressure.

Thanks for joining our group Tim!  Sounds like you're getting in a good mix of s/b/r training already so we should be able to help you reach your goals.  Congrats on the AG win!!

2012-12-27 7:25 PM
in reply to: #4542585

User image

New user

Hi I would lie to join your mentor group. I'm typing from my mobile so I won't leave a lot of detail. Ill add to my profile when I'm at my computer. Basically I'm a newbie. I've completed one sprint distance last summer. I'm currently training for IM tremblant 2013 like yourself. Looking forward to your feedback! Thanks. Craig
2012-12-27 7:32 PM
in reply to: #4550704

User image

Pro

Cmarch - 2012-12-27 7:25 PM Hi I would lie to join your mentor group. I'm typing from my mobile so I won't leave a lot of detail. Ill add to my profile when I'm at my computer. Basically I'm a newbie. I've completed one sprint distance last summer. I'm currently training for IM tremblant 2013 like yourself. Looking forward to your feedback! Thanks. Craig

Craig, you're in too!! You are going to love IM Mont-Tremblant!!  Looking forward to the journey together.

2012-12-27 7:37 PM

Hi Jim,

I'm very new to this website/forum as well as triathlons.  I did two sprint ones last summer and did "ok" but I'm looking to get more competitive this summer and entering the longer distance races.  On top of that, I was also pretty busy getting my run on.  Between May and November I two marathons (NJ Marathon - my first - and Marine Corps) as well as two half marathons (Central Park's Grete's Gallop and Philadelphia).  I'm really excited about learning how to improve my swim, how to be more efficient on the bike, as well as quickly getting through the transitions.  I'll never be quick enough to place in a running race but I think I have a real shot at placing in a triathlon.  I also get overwhelmed with all of the nutritional information (eat this not that, have sugar but not too much or you'll get sugar belly, be sure to replenish salt, etc.); can't keep up

If you have room left in your mentor/training group I'd really like to be a part of it!

Thanks!

Jess
New Jersey 

2012-12-27 8:23 PM

I'd like to join in, if there's still room!

Name: mom2wildboys/Amy

Story: I'm a 46 yo married mother of two teenaged boys. I homeschool them because I am, apparently, a masochist.  About two years ago I decided to do something about my weight and started to train to walk a half marathon as a way to keep myself exercising over the winter.  I completed that race and swore I'd never do another.  So, of course I went on to do many more half marathons, a couple of full marathons, and then my first triathlons (both all-women sprint tris.)  I have evolved from being strictly a walker to doing run/walk intervals.  With all my training and racing and a switch to a lower carb diet I have lost approximately 80 pounds in the past two years (it was more than 80 before Christmas; now, who knows?! LOL!)   I still have some weight to lose and just bought my first wetsuit in a size smaller than I would currently wear, so I need to buckle down over these next couple of months to take off some more weight.

I have a lot of room for improvement in all three sports.  I am doing this for fitness and personal satisfaction and don't expect to ever win any awards.  I was DFL in my first half marathon, so I got that right out of the way up front.  However, I would prefer to not repeat that experience and am willing to work hard to do MY best.   

I have registered for my first Olympic distance tri.  It's at the end of August (Cranberry Trifest) so I have lots of time to prepare.  I anticipate doing a couple of sprint tris as part of my training.  Of course, I'll also be doing some half marathons, and am contemplating signing up for the Marine Corps Marathon for the fall.

That's my story!  Oh, and I live in Northern RI.

Amy

2012-12-27 8:45 PM

User image

Sarnia
If its still open I'd like to join the group.  Have been running for about 15 years.  Dozens of 5 and 10Ks.  A handful of half marathons.  This past summer I competed in two sprint triathlons.  The swims were the hardest thing I've EVER done in my life.  I took swimming lessons from Dec 2011 through until June 2012 and after all those lessons I still BARELY squeaked through in the swim.

(cobourg triathlon.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
cobourg triathlon.jpg (80KB - 20 downloads)
2012-12-27 9:12 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Birkierunner's 2013 mentor/training group - CLOSED
Jess, Amy and JoAnne you're all in the group and now I think I better close it to new members as I think we've reached capacity in order to give proper attention to everyone.  This is going to be a fun couple of months coming up.

Edited by Birkierunner 2012-12-27 9:14 PM
2012-12-27 9:14 PM

User image

Pro
I'm on day 7 of 10 of antibiotics fighting a sinus infection after a cold but I managed to get out for an hour run in the snow this afternoon.  What has everyone else been able to do the past few days?
2012-12-27 9:37 PM
in reply to: #4550849

User image

Sarnia

Good thing I signed up in the nick of time!

In typical Canadian fashion, I'm ploughing through around 8 inches of snow.  Started yesterday just after my 5K (terribly slow) run.  My daughter bought me a Nike+ GPS sports watch and it was easy to get it up and running.  Now I'm Googling to see how (and IF) I can export the GPS data so that I can use it on this site.  So far no luck with it.

2012-12-28 12:03 AM
in reply to: #4548223

Portland
Thanks, Jim! Here's the profile information you requested.NAME: gsussman/Gary -- Portland, OregonSTORY: I'm 57, and an experienced runner. I ran track and cross country in high school, and have been running pretty much ever since. I've done a bunch of road races over the years -- everything from 5ks to marathons. I generally won or at least placed in my age group in most of the races I entered.I started cross-training on the bike about seven years ago, when I found myself getting recurring running injuries. I like to ride hard, but apart from a few duathlons over the years, haven't really done any bike racing. Just started training in the pool this past September. I'm making progress, but I have quite a way still to go.I'm aiming for my first sprint triathlon in April, and hope to be doing Olympic-distance by the end of the season. I'm in good shape overall, but I'm definitely a novice triathlete.FAMILY STATUS: Single, but in a very committed relationship with a wonderful and supportive partner who I plan to marry in 2013.CURRENT TRAINING: Swim 3x per week, varying distances. Run 3-4x per week, ranging from 5.5 to 11 miles per workout. Cycle or indoor trainer (depending on the weather) 3x per week. A least, that's he goal!2012 RACES: None, actually.2013 RACES: Sprint tri in early April, other short-course races through the summer, and at least one Olympic-distance tri by season's end.WEIGHT LOSS: Fortunately, not an issue for me. I'm 6'3" and pretty lean.WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I'm humble, and I know just how little I know about triathlons. I'm like a sponge, thirsty for knowledge. I'm eager to learn from the experiences of others.I'm really looking forward to this mentoring program. Thanks for taking me on!Gary

2012-12-28 12:06 AM

Portland
It was a decent day in Portland -- low 40's and breezy but dry. Got a nice 16.5 mile bike ride in over the lunch hour.Gary Sussman
2012-12-28 12:35 AM
in reply to: #4550629

User image

I own the Kurt kinetic rock and roll trainer and love it.  Due to my surgery on shoulder it is one of the few things I can do.  Reliable, easy to use and good feel-highly recommend.
2012-12-28 6:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA

Birkierunner - 2012-12-27 10:14 PM What has everyone else been able to do the past few days?

Just running this week for me (pretty much all slow/easy/base miles), continuing my build for a March Marathon.  My wife expressed an interest in rediscovering swimming - she hasn't swam since HS - so Santa put some goggles in her stocking and off to the pool we went last night with the kids.  

It was actually fun to go to the pool and work with her, and "chase" the girls (5 & 8) while they swam their laps, rather than knocking out one of my structured workouts.  Both kids were wearing flippers and it was the  first time I couldn't catch my 8 y/o.  

Off to the beach for the weekend after a short day in the office today.  Will dust off  the bike & trainer when I get back though.  (The bike is still sticky from last event of 2012 season.)

2012-12-28 7:25 AM
in reply to: #4551085

User image

Pro

bmason - 2012-12-28 12:35 AM I own the Kurt kinetic rock and roll trainer and love it.  Due to my surgery on shoulder it is one of the few things I can do.  Reliable, easy to use and good feel-highly recommend.

I saw an add for one of those the other day....didn't know they had come out with that one.  Do they make it so that you can lock it in place if you want to so that it doesn't sway from side to side?  I know that defeats the purpose but sometimes you might not want that feature.

2012-12-28 9:38 AM

Regular

I believe that you can lock it.  I got a Kurt Kinetic as the daylight faded this fall and it was a huge step up from the trainer I had.  That thing is a beast of a work out.  I wouldn't trade it.  Just make sure you flop out the rear tire for a cheapy and don't wear out your good one!

Ride tonight.  If all goes well, a subscription to Trainer Road is in my future.

2012-12-28 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4550409

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
GATJR33/George = Vermont
2012-12-28 11:50 AM
in reply to: #4551753

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
I have managed to get in a 4.5 mile run out in the snow earlier in the week and a 75 minute trainer ride last night. Training has been erratic, but I do not official start training until next week. I have used a Cyclops Fluid trainer for about 2 years and it seems to work just fine.
2012-12-28 1:00 PM
in reply to: #4551832

User image

Took this Holiday week off pretty much except for a short swim and bike today.  Plan on some downhill skiing tomorrow.

I have the regular Kinetic bike trainer.  Can't compare it to anything else, but its worked well for me.  Easy to get the bike in and out.  Good suggestion about putting in a cheapo tire on the back - I've worried about that.

2012-12-28 6:35 PM
in reply to: #4551984

User image

Pro
trei - 2012-12-28 1:00 PM

Good suggestion about putting in a cheapo tire on the back - I've worried about that.

Yes, lots of people do it that way.  Others just use whatever tire they rode on the road with.  At first I put on a Continental trainer tire made especially for trainers (more durable than a road tire and better grip) but I got tired of switching it off of my wheel in spring when I'd go back and forth between riding outside or inside depending on the weather.  I bit the bullet and bought a cheap wheel and put on a spare cassette I had and then put the Conti trainer tire on that.  Now all I have to do is switch out my trainer wheel with my road wheel and in a few seconds I'm in business. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RE-OPENED Birkierunner's 2013 mentor group - RE-OPENED!!! Rss Feed  

of 25