General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to learn to swim in a crowded lap pool? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-04-08 10:42 PM

User image

Regular
Oregon
Subject: How to learn to swim in a crowded lap pool?

How am I supposed to ever learn the proper techniques, run drills, use equipment etc when the pool is always so crowded and every lap swimmer in it just seems to swim fast and non-stop and they circle swim 2-3 people per lane?

I am a total novice adult beginner and I swim 3:20 per 100m on a good day.  It just seems impossible to get a full workout in.  Many of my "beginner" workouts call for 20-40 seconds rest at the wall between sets.  How do the rest of you do this? It is so humiliating and frustrating and terrifying at the same time.  

It also makes me mad because I pay the same amount of money as the rest of them (or maybe more, because I pay for lessons too, and this is my "homework").  Don't get me wrong, I have respect and deference to the veteran swimmers and I know they deserve to get THEIR workouts done too...it just seems like the deck is stacked against adult beginners...

2013-04-08 11:45 PM
in reply to: #4692462

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: How to learn to swim in a crowded lap pool?
themissj1981 - 2013-04-08 9:42 PM

How am I supposed to ever learn the proper techniques, run drills, use equipment etc when the pool is always so crowded and every lap swimmer in it just seems to swim fast and non-stop and they circle swim 2-3 people per lane?

I am a total novice adult beginner and I swim 3:20 per 100m on a good day.  It just seems impossible to get a full workout in.  Many of my "beginner" workouts call for 20-40 seconds rest at the wall between sets.  How do the rest of you do this? It is so humiliating and frustrating and terrifying at the same time.  

It also makes me mad because I pay the same amount of money as the rest of them (or maybe more, because I pay for lessons too, and this is my "homework").  Don't get me wrong, I have respect and deference to the veteran swimmers and I know they deserve to get THEIR workouts done too...it just seems like the deck is stacked against adult beginners...

There is probably someone swimmign in your lane posting here saying, "How am I supposed to get in my speed workout when someone in my lane is doing drills and swimming 3:20/100?" Seriously we see those posts all the time.

Just do your thing. They can swim around you. Wait at the wall in the corner for your rest so they can keep circling.
2013-04-08 11:54 PM

User image

Elite
themissj1981 - 2013-04-09 3:42 PM

Just do your thing, don't worry about them.  Do it assertively. 

2013-04-09 12:07 AM

User image

Master
It can be discouraging, I'm sure, but one of the neat things about obstacles during training is that they can prepare you for them in a race! "Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming..." 

Edited by Blanda 2013-04-09 12:08 AM
2013-04-09 2:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
themissj1981 - 2013-04-09 5:42 AM

Learn to circle swim. Really, it's not that difficult. If you can learn to drive at 16, then sure you can learn to circle swim at 32. 

Take your time to guesstimate pace in each lane. There are faster lanes and slower lanes. There may even be assigned fast/slow lanes. Watch out for lanes where swimmers constantly pass each other. I

Seriously, you can be 5 or 6 in a 25m/yd lane circle swimming when everybody keep the same pace, yesterday I was sharing lane with 4 others including a walrus, being 2 or 3 is luxury. If you know how to circle swim and the lane is close to your pace - even if slightly faster, you won't have a problem. It's better to be 4 doing the same pace than 3 doing very different paces.

Finally:

If you're the slowest in the lane, don't start just before somebody turns at the wall. When you get to the wall, look back if somebody is coming in right after you, it's a split seconds wait to let them go first and you can keep doing your workout. And if somebody wants to pass you, responsability is with the one who pass - just as when you drive - but do help them keeping to the right and don't try to speed up.

If you still have a problem, suggest to the staff that they assign fast and slow lanes.

It also makes me mad because I pay the same amount of money as the rest of them

Oh yea, just as it makes me "mad" to share lane with slow swimmers when I pay the same. Get over it.

BR

2013-04-09 2:20 AM
in reply to: #4692558

User image

Regular
Oregon

If you still have a problem, suggest to the staff that they assign fast and slow lanes.

Oh yea, just as it makes me "mad" to share lane with slow swimmers when I pay the same. Get over it.

BR

ha ha! good point! SmileI was wondering how long it would take till I got a response like this!  I do truly empathize with your situation.   And thanks for your helpful response about wall and rest timing, I can see now that I was not being very considerate of others when timing my rests.

But that is exactly what makes your plight more desirable than mine and your status more noble and less humiliating than mine....you at least are justified....you have put in the hours...you get the respect...you HAVE the skills and knowledge and etiquette....to make a complaint or suggestion to the pool staff.

Why would they listen to me?  I am just the chick who came for most of the last season,  I don't even know the staff's names (because they are swim teamers who alternate every week).  I have cheap gear and sucky skills.   The lanes are not marked, they are approximately 8 lanes wide with no ropes.  Nothing is marked fast or slow.  Simultaneously, youth swim drills are being held in the corners rendering only the middle 4 "lanes" useful...and again they have no markings.  I am more inclined to just quit....not saying I should...but I have no skills, no rep, no community, no confidence, I mean seriously...WHAT ON EARTH makes me continue against my better judgement?

Tonight was the first time in 7 months I have quit a planned workout due to a "pool vibing" situation. And  I was so ashamed and rattled that it took 2 beers before I could even post this thread (which was a HUGE calorie deficit for me since my workout SUCKED).  I mean, my behaviors which led up to tonight's events have probably been "tolerated" for weeks by the regulars, and yet I had no idea I was causing anybody so much inconvenience...it is so disappointing to realize where I stand after so much effort that it seems almost pointless to continue sometimes

currently searching online for duathlon training plans...

Edited by themissj1981 2013-04-09 2:39 AM

2013-04-09 2:42 AM
in reply to: #4692561

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
themissj1981 - 2013-04-09 9:20 AM

Why would they listen to me?

... The lanes are not marked, they are approximately 8 lanes wide with no ropes. 

Woa, that's bad, not even lane ropes?

Make the argument of pool safety: It is in everybodys interest to have a safe swim and not swim into eachother or hit somebody, both slow and fast swimmers will enjoy their swim more.

And, it's in the interest of the life guards too, they are the ones who will eventually have to go fishing the corpses out.

Lane ropes, and assigning certain activities or paces to specific lanes solves a lot of problems, and the life guards can easier keep an eye on those who need extra attention.

Before suggesting changes, just ask, maybe some hours have lane ropes or ask what hours are less crowded etc. and see if you can schedule your swim accordingly. Maybe there are some written or unwritten rules you don't know about that will help you enjoy the swim.

Knowning that you can make your suggestions and "pool safety" is one of those things that is hard to argue against.

Tonight was the first time in 7 months I have quit a planned workout due to "pool vibing"  I was so shamed and rattled that it took 2 beers before I could even post this thread (which was a HUGE calorie deficit for me since my workout SUCKED).

Well, yesterday I eventually had to resort to the lower half of the pool, sacrifising air was a cheap price to pay for a relaxing swim Tongue out

Cheers, Erik

2013-04-09 3:01 AM
in reply to: #4692558

User image

Regular
Oregon
erik.norgaard - 2013-04-09 12:01 AM 

Learn to circle swim. Really, it's not that difficult. If you can learn to drive at 16, then sure you can learn to circle swim at 32.

ha ha....I think she must be a member here, because when one nice lady asked me to swim in a different lane and I tried to ask some follow up questions about "how"exactly I should circle swim in a different lane; she said "it's just like driving a car! If you can drive you can circle swim!" as she swam off...well, that may seem very obvious to a long time swimmer, but to an adult learner the "just like driving a car" analogy does not compute!!!.

When I drive a car, I am not winded, terrified, nervous, ashamed, wheezing, gasping and exhausted.

Also, there are explicit rules which I had to pass a test on before I was granted the privilege of driving. When I joined my local rifle range, we each had to attend a 4 hour course on rules, regulations and safety to use the rifle range.  When I show up at the pool I just pay $3 and don't even have to prove than I can tread water....it's NOT the same as driving a car.  One is regulated and clear rules are enforced, the other is kinda willy-nilly depending which facility you are at...

2013-04-09 3:35 AM
in reply to: #4692569

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
themissj1981 - 2013-04-09 10:01 AM 

Also, there are explicit rules which I had to pass a test on before I was granted the privilege of driving. 

What? You did not take the pool test? You swim without a license?? You can get into a car without a license, you have a problem only when they stop you - or you crash. Same thing in the pool.

OK: Assuming lane ropes - lacking those makes it somewhat more difficult, but it's still the same thing. You keep right, you pass on the left - just like driving. When somebody passes, don't speed up.

You can "honk" by tuching the feet of the one in front of you. This is a friendly way to say that you have intentions to pass. If somebody honks at you, see if you can move further to the right to allow them to pass smoothly.

If you want to continue when you reach the wall, you turn at the centre of the wall, that is: About 3m before the wall you start swimming towards the middle of the lane, when you turn, turn on the spot your feet should push off where your hands touched the wall. Then as you push off start swimming towards the right of the lane.

If you want to stop/pause, stay to the right and stop in the right corner of the lane as you come in. This is the parking spot. Don't stand at the wall in the centre of the lane, that's where people expect to turn.

When you want to start, first look if somebody is coming in to turn, if free, move to the other corner. Which is the right corner when you start. This is not a parking spot, but before you start, do check again if somebody is coming in to turn and let them go first if they are faster.

Try keep a distance: When you start there should be about 2 lengths (body lengths) or 5 seconds swim between you and the next swimmer in front as well as the first swimmer after you. So, if somebody turns when you want to start, just count to 5 then go. 

While standing at the wall do other swimmers the favour to make yourself "small" so they have space to turn. That is standing with your side against the wall.

Never stop at the length of the lane unless you have a motor stop - cramps and drowning are acceptable excuses, otherwise only stop by the wall. Always look for traffic before crossing a lane - just as when you cross the road.

In all of the above the "right" is the right as when you swim breast stroke or front crawl. Swimming back stroke it's reverse.

Admittedly, a lot of people don't know how to turn/stop/start/stand at the wall.

So, yes really, it's a lot like sharing the road.

BR

2013-04-09 5:54 AM

The obstacle is the path.
2013-04-09 7:43 AM
in reply to: #4692616

User image

Veteran
Colorful Colorado

Alphamale - 2013-04-09 5:54 AM The obstacle is the path.

Excellent quote!  Here's another:

The problem is not the problem.  Your attitude about the problem is the problem.

Seriously, overcoming things like this, and learning to be comfortable while uncomfortable is all part of the training.  Work through this, and not only will your swimming improve, but your confidence in yourself and your ability to work through difficulties will improve -- and THAT is a key skill.  All of us adult-onset swimmers started where you are -- there's no shame in being a beginner.  Some of those fast lane-mates likely started as adults too.  Just focus on relentlessly moving forward.

2013-04-09 7:50 AM

User image

Generally agree with the "be assertive and tell them to get over it" posts, but real quick, what time are you swimming?

As a complete novice, I can empathize that it will take a lot of work and drills to even approach competence, in the meantime, the easiest thing might be to pick a different time to drill.  I find that my pool is filled with people who know what they are doing at 6AM and the talent level drops dramatically for the rest of the day.

So if you can't find a less crowded time, then yeah, you'll just have to assert your right to swim slow. 

2013-04-09 7:54 AM
in reply to: #4692569

User image

Is there another time of day you can go to the pool? I know at the local pools here that the crowd varies depending on the time of day. For instance if i go in the morning at 6 am I know that I'm going to have three lanes free to share with others with the rest taken by master's swim classes. However, if I go an hour before the pool closes I've been the only one there minus one other swimmer. That might help ease your tension. Like others have said, just keep moving and try to ignore others. YouTube has a lot of great videos about circle swimming and techniques in general. 

Keep going, you'll get there! 

2013-04-09 8:27 AM

User image

Regular
Chicago Area

I have an idea that might help thin the crowd in the pool.  Upon entering the pool area have your cell phone up to your ear and, in a loud and angry voice, yell into the phone, "But doctor, are you sure it's syphilis?!?!?"  Just make sure you say it loud enough so that as many people as possible can hear it.  That oughtta get you an open lane or two...

2013-04-09 8:40 AM

User image

Elite

Just had a situation yesterday that I allowed (not that I own the pool lol) a guy into the lane that I and another had split......he did not understand the concept of circle swimming which I explained....he got this panic look on his face saying things like "I am new" "not fast"......I just told him to not worry and just do his thing and we will work around you....not that I am that fast anyway lol

So just swim and do your thing

2013-04-09 9:23 AM

User image

Regular
Oregon

thanks everyone for your helpful and encouraging responses- especially thanks to erik.norgaard for the detailed explanation- that really helped and I can see now that I've been doing a lot of things wrong.

Unfortunately, due to working 11-12 hour days I am extremely limited in what times I can swim, and they are the most popular times. I have fridays off and I ALWAYS enjoy swimming mid-day on friday and having at least 1 lane to myself.

I may have to find somewhere else to swim until I am more competent because I frequently have to stop mid-length due to inhaling water, or running out of breath (maybe 3-4 times per half hour session I don't make it across the pool...)  This place is 100% swimming.  Maybe a combo gym with small pool would be better for a while until I can keep up....

Edited by themissj1981 2013-04-09 9:24 AM

2013-04-09 9:36 AM

User image

I won't try to get in to the pool etiquete debate too much.  But don't give up.  Try to be patient and it will get better with practice and time I promise.  I am a very confident former competitive swimmer, that being said we are used to having our "own" space.  Sharing was really foreign and scary to me.  I try to relax, yoga breath and remind myself this isn't my private pool.  I chat with the lifeguards if I am not sure on the best lane to be in that gives me someone to back me up. Also (although maybe not an option) I do try and swim at a local pool I found that is a bit more low key than the one I started at . 

But don't give up.  The fact you have actually made it too the pool is more than 99% of people do. 

2013-04-09 9:37 AM

@themissj1981 - Let me give you a little timeline.

January 2012 - Can't swim

February 2012 - Make it into the "medium" pace lane

April 2012 - First tri (250m pool swim) 6:41

June 2012 - Second tri (750m OWS) 17:14

August 2012 - Make it into the "fast" pace lane (sub 1:50/100m)

That was me last year.  I'm 28.  You can learn to swim at any age.

Is your anxiety purely about your ability to swim?  You're only going to over come that by swimming.  Other swimmers will recognise that you're a beginner and, assuming they are a reasonable bunch, they will offer you tips/advice on how to improve. 

Just because you're learning doesn't mean your opinion doesn't matter to the lifeguards/managers at your pool.  Lane ropes are vital to safety in a pool (i'm a lifeguard part-time).  Having marked swim lanes prevents head-on collision (as does circle swimming) and allows guards to head count pool capacity quickly and safely.

As for circle swimming, it's identical for slow swimmers as it is for fast swimmers.  Stay right unless you're passing someone and be aware of who is around you at the wall.  I appreciate that you are trying to do drills and learn technique but you still need to be able to adapt your workout to your surroundings.  If you take 50 seconds rest instead of 45 so what?  If you take 40 seconds rest instead of 45 great.  You're not just learning to swim you are training your body to be able to cope with physical exertion.

Keep on going and you'll reach your goals.

2013-04-09 9:40 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Part of triathlon is getting over the fear of looking/feeling stupid or inadequate.  We ALL look stupid, and most of us have not and never will be pro's.  As a middle aged lady in spandex, I can assure you that I look goofy!  And learning to swim and cycle as an adult can certainly bring out those feelings of inadequacy.  Triathlon has really helped me with learning to ask for help and with getting over my goofy self! Don't miss out on those gifts.

My suggestion would be to talk with some of the other swimmers.  When they are not in the middle of a set, just say something like, "Hey, I'm really new to this and not sure on the proper etiquette.  How can I best fit in with you and the others?"  There may be the occasional person be a jerk about it, but I'm betting the vast majority will be glad that you asked, and be willing to help you.  Might even get some good form tips in the process.  Your pool situation sounds pretty frustrating for everyone.  Can you possibly find another place to swim that at least has proper lanes?

Another recommendation...not saying you are slow or fat, but pick up a copy of "Slow, Fat Triathlete".  It's great encouragement to begin right where you are, and will make you laugh out loud.  Enjoy the journey!

2013-04-09 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4692561

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
themissj1981 - 2013-04-09 2:20 AM

BR

ha ha! good point! SmileI was wondering how long it would take till I got a response like this!  I do truly empathize with your situation.   And thanks for your helpful response about wall and rest timing, I can see now that I was not being very considerate of others when timing my rests.

But that is exactly what makes your plight more desirable than mine and your status more noble and less humiliating than mine....you at least are justified....you have put in the hours...you get the respect...you HAVE the skills and knowledge and etiquette....to make a complaint or suggestion to the pool staff.

Why would they listen to me?  I am just the chick who came for most of the last season,  I don't even know the staff's names (because they are swim teamers who alternate every week).  I have cheap gear and sucky skills.   The lanes are not marked, they are approximately 8 lanes wide with no ropes.  Nothing is marked fast or slow.  Simultaneously, youth swim drills are being held in the corners rendering only the middle 4 "lanes" useful...and again they have no markings.  I am more inclined to just quit....not saying I should...but I have no skills, no rep, no community, no confidence, I mean seriously...WHAT ON EARTH makes me continue against my better judgement?

Tonight was the first time in 7 months I have quit a planned workout due to a "pool vibing" situation. And  I was so ashamed and rattled that it took 2 beers before I could even post this thread (which was a HUGE calorie deficit for me since my workout SUCKED).  I mean, my behaviors which led up to tonight's events have probably been "tolerated" for weeks by the regulars, and yet I had no idea I was causing anybody so much inconvenience...it is so disappointing to realize where I stand after so much effort that it seems almost pointless to continue sometimes

currently searching online for duathlon training plans...

I'm actually shocked you can't find someone water walking, swimming very slowly, etc. to swim in a lane with. I've been to a lot of different pools (public and gym), and when there are lap swimmers 75% of them are moving very slow. I swim around 1:40 per 100 and I can rarely find anyone to swim with.

Shoot, yesterday I had two ladies who were water walking invade my lane at the pool... and there was an empty lane two lanes down... and I had been IN the lane for 30 minutes. They didn't care. Just got in and then one stupidly stood in my lane. I just kept swimming. She saw me coming and got out of the way. I then moved to the empty lane. Sorry, that's my vent. Ha!

The moral is this, there is always someone slower in the pool. Find those people and get in their lane.

2013-04-09 9:48 AM
in reply to: #4692878

themissj1981 - 2013-04-10 3:23 AM

thanks everyone for your helpful and encouraging responses- especially thanks to erik.norgaard for the detailed explanation- that really helped and I can see now that I've been doing a lot of things wrong.

Unfortunately, due to working 11-12 hour days I am extremely limited in what times I can swim, and they are the most popular times. I have fridays off and I ALWAYS enjoy swimming mid-day on friday and having at least 1 lane to myself.

I may have to find somewhere else to swim until I am more competent because I frequently have to stop mid-length due to inhaling water, or running out of breath (maybe 3-4 times per half hour session I don't make it across the pool... This place is 100% swimming.  Maybe a combo gym with small pool would be better for a while until I can keep up....

This is the first thing that you should concentrate on.  Get used to exhaling in the water and then turning your head to inhale.  Get yourself a spot in the shallow end of the pool where you can stand and just breath into the water.  Become comfortable with feeling yourself exhale gradually while your face is submerged.  Build up from there into exhaling into the water and then turning your head, like you would mid-stroke, to inhale.  Until you are comfortable with this that barrier of "running out of breath" will still be there.

2013-04-09 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4692916

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
danrayner - 2013-04-09 10:37 AM

@themissj1981 - Let me give you a little timeline.

January 2012 - Can't swim

February 2012 - Make it into the "medium" pace lane

April 2012 - First tri (250m pool swim) 6:41

June 2012 - Second tri (750m OWS) 17:14

August 2012 - Make it into the "fast" pace lane (sub 1:50/100m)

That was me last year.  I'm 28.  You can learn to swim at any age.

Is your anxiety purely about your ability to swim?  You're only going to over come that by swimming.  Other swimmers will recognise that you're a beginner and, assuming they are a reasonable bunch, they will offer you tips/advice on how to improve. 

Just because you're learning doesn't mean your opinion doesn't matter to the lifeguards/managers at your pool.  Lane ropes are vital to safety in a pool (i'm a lifeguard part-time).  Having marked swim lanes prevents head-on collision (as does circle swimming) and allows guards to head count pool capacity quickly and safely.

As for circle swimming, it's identical for slow swimmers as it is for fast swimmers.  Stay right unless you're passing someone and be aware of who is around you at the wall.  I appreciate that you are trying to do drills and learn technique but you still need to be able to adapt your workout to your surroundings.  If you take 50 seconds rest instead of 45 so what?  If you take 40 seconds rest instead of 45 great.  You're not just learning to swim you are training your body to be able to cope with physical exertion.

Keep on going and you'll reach your goals.

I am also a relative late-comer to swimming - except my trajectory has taken much much longer!

I started lessons from complete newbie in 2008 when i was 28 to doing an ironman last year. It can be done. 

I second all of the advice of just relaxing and finding your space. You seem to have some anxiety about slowing others down. Take your space and do what you need to do.  It will be fine.  I know even with my tri swim group that i now belong to i get worried about this but many have explained common rules and most do adhere to them.  It's not always an 'ideal' workout in the pool when lots of others are around but a good workout can be had.

If you can find a quieter pool for a while, then by all means do that - it's nice to practice some of the drills where you feel like you're flailing or needs a bit of room just to give it a try without too many prying eyes. But drills aren't everything ... and most of the other 'seasoned swimmers' you see have also been through it.

Keeping coming here, keep reading about swimming, watching videos, etc and building that confidence. Everyone starts somewhere. 

2013-04-15 11:31 PM

User image

Washington, DC

I've found that a Friday night hot date with the lap lane is a pretty good way to have some space to myself in the pool. (It unfortunately also means a lack of real Friday night dates...but I digress....)

You can do it! Just be polite and respectful to others, and you'll be fine. (And if someone is rude...it's their problem, not yours.)

Erin

2013-04-16 12:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
That's not even close to being crowded.
2013-04-16 1:01 AM
in reply to: #4692909

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Where were you swimming? I remember being 15-20 per lane during long course season... we used to joke that we were training in China some days when it was 25 per lane for the first half hour some days.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to learn to swim in a crowded lap pool? Rss Feed  

of 2