Healthy Life Activities
12C / 54F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 18s
Overall Rank = 214/364
Age Group = MS
Age Group Rank = 104/157
Pre-race routine:

1st Race, so no real pre-race routine as such. Awoke at 0500 am, had a bowl of porridge and a cup of coffee then loaded the car up.
Event warmup:

Allowed into the water 10 minutes beforehand. Flushed wet-suit when I first got in. Christened wet-suit. Had a little swim around. There were 3 waves of about 120 people. I was in the 1st wave. After a while we got corralled into a holding pen ready for the off.
Swim
  • 21m 50s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first attempt at an open water swim. Oh boy, did it all go Pete Tong.
This is where I failed drastically:
1. Problems started when I first put my head under water. I couldn't see more than 2 inches in front of me. Therefore, when I tried swimming front crawl I kept on swimming up over the top of people. Ended up swimming most of the swim doing breast stroke.

2. I moved over to the right hand side of the pack. Unfortunately the water was only about 3 ft deep here, therefore ended up scraping the bottom with my hands/arms when front crawling, making me revert to breast stroke.

3. Had a magor panic attack about 250 m in. Think it was because my breathing was all over the place due to switching all the time between FC and BS.

4. Was slowing massively, so about midway, after I had calmed again, I decided to have another go at FC. Found that I was swimming a lot faster than the people around me and ended up swimming up over the top of them again. Reverted back to BS. My sense of direction is all over the shop when I can't see the bottom of the pool (lines), Really need to practice swimming blind.

What would you do differently?:

On reflection, the two things I was most worried about in OWS didn't materialize. Namely, the shock of the cold water and the washing machine. These didn't worry me at all on the swim.

Swimming blind did affect me massively and it is this that I need to practice the most.

I'm putting Below Average for the swim overall, but to be fair, it was probably better due to the experience I gained from it. It can only get better from here on in.

Wear ear plugs. Cold water got into one ear, which may be the reason for the giddiness. also have had earache since.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

Felt giddy after swim. Hadn't done any swim/bike transition brick training so it felt weird. Can take at least 1 - 1:30 off this time with practice.

Out of water. cap goggles off, arms out, cap/goggles in arms of suit. Ran to bike. Ran wrong side of bike and had to dip under bar to reach all my kit that I had neatly laid out. Sat down to get feet out of suit (giddy). Helmet on, race belt on, socks on, shoes on, grab bike, exit transition, sit on bike, pedal, fail miserably to get clipped in (30 secs). Started Garmin.

Loads of room for improvement.

Calm down, remember where bike is.
Don't need half the crap I had with me, clogged up my transition.
Have race belt on under suit already.
Learn to go sock-less on bike.
Buy tri specific shoes with one velcro strap that are attached to bike already.
Have garmin started already before swim.
Bike
  • 55m 5s
  • 17.3 miles
  • 18.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt strange on the bike. Felt like I was out for a daily ride, not in a race. I had to keep telling myself to concentrate. I'm fairly happy with my average cadence for the ride. I past a fair few riders, but also got passed by a lot of wave two bikers. And when I say passed, I mean passed as in it made me look I was stationary. Mostly TT bikes, but the occasional roadies. One guy on a roadie passed me that must of had an average cadence of about 30 rpm and he was still flying passed me. Mind you, his calf muscles were about the same size as my waist.

One thing I noticed with all the people passing me, I got a very peculiar view of their behind. And when that behind is clad in a cheap black lycra tri suit, then said tri suit is totally transparent. I don't think I've seen so many squished up butts in one day. Note to self, get wife to check bike shorts.

As I said, I passed a fair few people on the bike, mostly on the small inclines. I managed to power on up them whilst people slowed. It's a nice feeling, must remember that feeling and do it more often.

Made the mistake of fitting my new saddle and not trialing it on a ride before the race. Schoolboy error. Felt it after 7-8 km. Tightening in the hip flexors, seat probably too high???

Need to practice speed sessions (time trials). Want to get my average speed for an hour up to around 25 mph mark.

Need to remember it's a race, and to leave it on the course. I feel I could have gone harder.

Ref seat.....Nothing new on race day, FFS.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Slow in transition. Faffing about with laces.
Also wasted loads of time taking garmin off bike and putting it on wrist.
'Nuff said.

Leave shoes clipped and run bare foot through transition instead of in cycle shoes. Need to have no socks on as grass may be wet.

Get elasticated laces.

Figure out a better way of using garmin.

Think I can knock another 30 secs off this.
Run
  • 24m 42s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm quite surprised with how the run went. I was only 1:36 slower than my stand alone 5 km pb, which means that I should be able to either get a better PB for that, or/and get a better tri 5km time :)
It felt weird, it didn't feel like I was going at the pace I was. It felt a lot slower.
Similar to the bike (and the tri overall) I didn't feel like I was racing. More like it was a training run. I really need to learn to concentrate and dig deep. I believe with a bit of work over the next month I can knock a couple of minutes off this time. I really want to break sub 20 min before the year is out.

I know I had a lot left in me and I could have dug deeper. But it is something I can carry on to the next race.

Zip up the man suit and dig deep. Remember it's a race and HTFU.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to transition, got changed, packed my crap up, loaded the car then went back to watch the other people coming in. Had a banana and some water, a nice lie down on the grass in the sun, watched the awards ceremony then went home to get ready for work. Received tech shirt.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience.
Sheer guts and determination.
Piss poor planning and preparation.

Event comments:

At the end of the day, this was my first tri, so it was never going to go super smooth. It was invaluable in enabling me to see how I perform under those conditions and which parts need the most work. It is also encouraging to see that with a little bit of tweaking and some concentration I should see some pretty good gains and jump a few places up the pack in the future.

Bit gutted that all the photos for the event that have been put up and I'm not in one of them :( Must remember to take support (DW) with me next time to take pics and cheer :)

Onward and upwards.

Last updated: 2012-12-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:50 | 820 yards | 02m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/157
Overall: 248/364
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2XU R3
Course: M shaped course in a dock.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:15
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:55:05 | 17.3 miles | 18.84 mile/hr
Overall: 215/364
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/314796725
Wind: None
Course: Fairly flat. 69 m total elevation.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:24:42 | 03.11 miles | 07m 33s  min/mile
Overall: 192/364
Performance: Average
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/314796757
Course: Flat coastal path/cycle path. Few rises, nothing much.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-19 9:44 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Subject: Llanelli Waterside Sprint

2013-05-20 1:24 PM
in reply to: #4749163

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Llanelli Waterside Sprint
Awesome job!!!

I mean, I am a little disappointed about the lack of the word "whilst" 5 times, but no other complaints.

It sounds like you had a great time and also learned some stuff to work on for the next one. Perfect!
2013-05-20 1:33 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Nice race!  Way to go!
2013-05-20 1:50 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pennsylvania
Big congrats, Darren!  Now that the first one is out of the way, you can take what you've learned and make the next race even better.  See through tri suits, scary.  Now you have me worrying about mine!
2013-05-20 2:44 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Ok, I have no idea what "Pete Tong" means, but I'm guessing its not a good thing!other than that it looks like you had a great first race. You'll never forget it
2013-05-20 3:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user

Wales
Congratulations on your first Tri. What a coincidence that the people in 213th and 214th places should post a report on the same site! See you around S Wales. Bill

BTW there are a load of free pics on Facebook which you can access from the website

Edited by Bills1954 2013-05-20 3:15 PM

2013-05-20 4:04 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by amd723

Ok, I have no idea what "Pete Tong" means, but I'm guessing its not a good thing!other than that it looks like you had a great first race. You'll never forget it

Rhyming slang. Peter tong (a uk based dance dj) = wrong. Ie "The night was going so well, until I drank a bottle of vodka, then it all went Peter Tong".
2013-05-20 4:06 PM
in reply to: Bills1954

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by Bills1954

Congratulations on your first Tri. What a coincidence that the people in 213th and 214th places should post a report on the same site! See you around S Wales. Bill

BTW there are a load of free pics on Facebook which you can access from the website

I've sieved through all the pics put up on Facebook and I'm not in one of them. Gutted, lol.
2013-05-20 5:30 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Great job.

Just remember it was your first tri so the learning experience is worth more than anything else. And cut yourself some slack cause you did good for your first time.

2013-05-21 6:58 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Good job on your first. It looks like you learned, you enjoyed, and you did really well to boot!
2013-05-21 7:23 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Excellent hob on the first tri!

OWS is an adaptation, visibility and cold water combined with the constriction of a wetsuit make it a challenge.  You rocked this one!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Llanelli Waterside Sprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Llanelli Waterside Sprint

Started by Bills1954
Views: 802 Posts: 1

2012-07-12 12:01 AM Bills1954

Llanelli 10K

Started by FlamingButtocks
Views: 1191 Posts: 1

2006-06-27 3:26 PM FlamingButtocks

Angels Race Sprint Sprint Triathlon

Started by theattorney
Views: 2425 Posts: 8

2005-09-20 6:24 PM WakeMan

Angels Race Sprint Sprint Triathlon

Started by BonBonNeaser
Views: 2117 Posts: 8

2005-09-20 6:32 PM WakeMan

Llanelli Millenium Coastal Park Triathlon

Started by cook865
Views: 770 Posts: 1

2005-07-17 2:27 PM cook865
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.

date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?