Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-11-22 10:26 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club

Mike, I'll be curious to hear what others say about this.  I don't have my book with me, but is there some sort of mpw base required before adding quality?  For some reason I'm thinking that, but it could just be that I internalized that way. 

Certainly, lots of runners (high school kids and shorter distance T and F) are doing Q workouts on lower weekly mileage.

I'm guessing that the reason JD allows for two Q workouts is that he assumes the 50 mpw.  Maybe an approach would be to add just one Q workout on the reduced mileage?

Good luck this weekend!

2013-11-22 11:54 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I'm trying to incorporate JD's principles and 5K to 15K training plan into my tri schedule for next year.  Phase 1 is pretty easy to do...lots of 'E' running.  The issue is when quality is introduced in Phase 2.  The plan in the book starts you at 2.5 miles of 'R' pace and 5 miles at 'T' pace in the first two Q workouts, which runs out to a 50 mpw (!!!!) if you follow JD's weekly limits on those types of runs.

I can easily scale them down to fit my total mpw for the week (which will be around 20 at that point), but should I just jump to max the first week in or scale it up a couple of weeks?  The two Qs would look like this:

Q1:  1 mile WU, 2x (2 x 200 w/ 200 recovery jogs, 1 x 400 w/ 400 recovery), 1 mile CD...4 miles total (1 mile @ R)

Q2:  2 mile WU, 2 miles 'T', 1 mile CD...5 miles total (2 miles @ T)

I'm at 20 mpw give or take right now, and would be comfortable throwing those two into a week at this point. 

I'd be concerned that would be a little intense not having done any intensity for about 9-10 weeks (accounting for my upcoming Transition phase, and subsequent rebuild through Phase 1).  The Q runs would be Tuesday morning and Thursday afternoon, if that makes any difference.

I got about four weeks into phase II and two Q's a week was too much for me.  I found that the R-workouts are not that difficult with adequate base and if you stick to the pacing charts.  I did scale back the volume especially when you get into 400's.  These workouts are not designed to kill you but to make your running more economical.  I did the second Q sessions and was OK initially with them but the cumulative stress over time finally got to me.

I did find the R workouts very beneficial and I enjoy them greatly.  I had to take a couple weeks break from the Q stuff but will pick it back up next week.  My plan is to stay with the R workouts once a week, three or four easy days, and a long run.  After the first of the year, I'm going to ramp up my mileage to get ready for a couple of early Spring marathons and set me up for an HIM in June. 

2013-11-22 12:01 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

There isn't necessarily a hard minimum, but do take a look at a few things. It's possible to do some sort of Q workout, but on low mileage it may be better to keep the focus on just running more. Add the stress in that way. A Q workout should not be a significant part of the weekly mileage, so if a Q is only going to be a 5 minute tempo, then probably best to keep mileage building up more. Easier to get in more stress that way.

I'm not sure if it's better to reduce the size of each workout (as Mike has planned) or to do most of one or the other, but either way, I would probably go as a bit of a progression in pace for them. Especially with not having done any in awhile. Meaning start off strong, but not at expected pacing. Work up towards that over time or consecutive reps. Do remember that Daniels is running only, not accounting for fatigue from cycling or swimming.

Edited by brigby1 2013-11-22 12:02 PM
2013-11-22 12:06 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by popsracer

I'm trying to incorporate JD's principles and 5K to 15K training plan into my tri schedule for next year.  Phase 1 is pretty easy to do...lots of 'E' running.  The issue is when quality is introduced in Phase 2.  The plan in the book starts you at 2.5 miles of 'R' pace and 5 miles at 'T' pace in the first two Q workouts, which runs out to a 50 mpw (!!!!) if you follow JD's weekly limits on those types of runs.

I can easily scale them down to fit my total mpw for the week (which will be around 20 at that point), but should I just jump to max the first week in or scale it up a couple of weeks?  The two Qs would look like this:

Q1:  1 mile WU, 2x (2 x 200 w/ 200 recovery jogs, 1 x 400 w/ 400 recovery), 1 mile CD...4 miles total (1 mile @ R)

I'm at 20 mpw give or take right now, and would be comfortable throwing those two into a week at this point. 

I'd be concerned that would be a little intense not having done any intensity for about 9-10 weeks (accounting for my upcoming Transition phase, and subsequent rebuild through Phase 1).  The Q runs would be Tuesday morning and Thursday afternoon, if that makes any difference.

I got about four weeks into phase II and two Q's a week was too much for me.  I found that the R-workouts are not that difficult with adequate base and if you stick to the pacing charts.  I did scale back the volume especially when you get into 400's.  These workouts are not designed to kill you but to make your running more economical.  I did the second Q sessions and was OK initially with them but the cumulative stress over time finally got to me.

I did find the R workouts very beneficial and I enjoy them greatly.  I had to take a couple weeks break from the Q stuff but will pick it back up next week.  My plan is to stay with the R workouts once a week, three or four easy days, and a long run.  After the first of the year, I'm going to ramp up my mileage to get ready for a couple of early Spring marathons and set me up for an HIM in June. 

I'll be throwing in a short 'E' run on Monday, and a medium 'E' run on Wednesday, in addition to my 'L' run on Saturday...so 5 days/week in total.

I'm thinking of doing maybe 75% of the Q workouts the first week of Phase 2 and see how I feel at the end of the week.

2013-11-22 12:12 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I'll be throwing in a short 'E' run on Monday, and a medium 'E' run on Wednesday, in addition to my 'L' run on Saturday...so 5 days/week in total.

I'm thinking of doing maybe 75% of the Q workouts the first week of Phase 2 and see how I feel at the end of the week.

I'm sure that after the first week (or two) you will be feeling fine but be careful as the cumulative stress builds up.  I think one can get lulled into a false sense of security when things go well initially to keep building at the rate that is in the plan.  I think I'd extend the length of the phases and maybe think about alternating that 2nd Q workout every other week.  Proceed cautiously my friend.

2013-11-22 12:12 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by brigby1

There isn't necessarily a hard minimum, but do take a look at a few things. It's possible to do some sort of Q workout, but on low mileage it may be better to keep the focus on just running more. Add the stress in that way. A Q workout should not be a significant part of the weekly mileage, so if a Q is only going to be a 5 minute tempo, then probably best to keep mileage building up more. Easier to get in more stress that way.

I'm not sure if it's better to reduce the size of each workout (as Mike has planned) or to do most of one or the other, but either way, I would probably go as a bit of a progression in pace for them. Especially with not having done any in awhile. Meaning start off strong, but not at expected pacing. Work up towards that over time or consecutive reps. Do remember that Daniels is running only, not accounting for fatigue from cycling or swimming.

Agreed on the first...I was thinking if I can't handle at least 10 minutes at tempo then it's not worth the effort. 

And that's a very good point on the second...typically my normal training schedule has trainer sessions on Mondays and Wednesdays, plus Masters swimming Fridays, that sounds like an awful lot of intensity work.

2013-11-22 12:16 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I'm sure that after the first week (or two) you will be feeling fine but be careful as the cumulative stress builds up.  I think one can get lulled into a false sense of security when things go well initially to keep building at the rate that is in the plan.  I think I'd extend the length of the phases and maybe think about alternating that 2nd Q workout every other week.  Proceed cautiously my friend.

I think that's sounding like good advice...maybe the day I'm thinking for Q2 I'll throw a couple of strides in instead and call it a week.

I'm also of the opinion (and my performance results show) that a little Q work goes a long way, so I will proceed cautiously. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2013-11-22 12:22 PM
2013-11-22 12:36 PM

Master
Northern IL

I think that's sounding like good advice...maybe the day I'm thinking for Q2 I'll throw a couple of strides in instead and call it a week.

I'm also of the opinion (and my performance results show) that a little Q work goes a long way, so I will proceed cautiously. 

I was just thinking of that too. Daniels says to work at particular training paces for several weeks (at least) before trying to increase. Same can be said of other aspects as well. It's very easy to get caught up with increasing all the time.

2013-11-22 1:11 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
it just warms my heart to hear this kind of talk and see that everyone is doing the best for themselves and really trying to progress without injury

training is tricky business-so I'm glad there are a number of people adding their advice/experience in running (and S/B too)

I have learned a bunch from this group, too, so thanks to all!
2013-11-24 7:08 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

10K PR by over two minutes...spot on based on my VDOT, but still can't believe it.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?raceid=257141

Thanks to all of you fellow book readers/challengers...I've learned an incredible amount from you all through this journey.

2013-11-25 9:26 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

10K PR by over two minutes...spot on based on my VDOT, but still can't believe it.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?raceid=257141

Thanks to all of you fellow book readers/challengers...I've learned an incredible amount from you all through this journey.

WOW!  That's awesome Mike!  Nice!

2013-11-26 10:02 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Couple of questions for the group.

Now that I feel like my leg is healing, I'm considering my running options.

I am entertaining the idea of a spring marathon.  There is one that is 45 minutes from my house in mid April.   I would be using Daniels "A" marathon training plan and while also doing S/B I think my max mpw would be 45, maybe 50. 

1) For the long runs in this plan he has 22 miles or 2.5 hours, whichever is shorter.  In the past I have always run at least 24 miles for M training.  At the pace I will be doing my long runs, this will probably have me topping out at 20 miles or so.  I do not feel good about that. Thoughts?

2) This race will be 7 weeks before my first HIM, which will be an important race for me.  My plan will be to back off on biking going into the last month before the marathon prep, race, have an easy recovery week with light spins and EZ runs, and then go into a fairly heavy bike focus  before the HIM (will probably look like 3 swim/4 bike/4 run (1Q/1L) until the race.  Again, thoughts?

If anyone thinks it would just be stupid to run a marathon 7 weeks before the HIM, please feel free to tell me that too :)

2013-11-26 10:09 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I'm interested in the responses.  

I've never run a full marathon (IM doesn't count...) so I can't really give a strong opinion but I think if the HIM is important to you, they are a bit too close together.

2013-11-26 10:11 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by switch

If anyone thinks it would just be stupid to run a marathon 7 weeks before the HIM, please feel free to tell me that too

This part came to mind as soon as you said "spring marathon".

It's quite possible to get through both, but one will be rather compromised by the other.

2013-11-26 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I am entertaining the idea of a spring marathon.  There is one that is 45 minutes from my house in mid April.   I would be using Daniels "A" marathon training plan and while also doing S/B I think my max mpw would be 45, maybe 50. 

1) For the long runs in this plan he has 22 miles or 2.5 hours, whichever is shorter.  In the past I have always run at least 24 miles for M training.  At the pace I will be doing my long runs, this will probably have me topping out at 20 miles or so.  I do not feel good about that. Thoughts?

2) This race will be 7 weeks before my first HIM, which will be an important race for me.  My plan will be to back off on biking going into the last month before the marathon prep, race, have an easy recovery week with light spins and EZ runs, and then go into a fairly heavy bike focus  before the HIM (will probably look like 3 swim/4 bike/4 run (1Q/1L) until the race.  Again, thoughts?

If anyone thinks it would just be stupid to run a marathon 7 weeks before the HIM, please feel free to tell me that too

While I certainly think the word "stupid" is a little harsh, I think the goals are conflicting and I'd really be worried about the recovery cost of that marathon for your 'A' race.

If you do go ahead, I certainly wouldn't add anything to Daniel's L run.  Again, for the recovery cost.

2013-11-26 10:21 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Haha. Ok. The voices of reason.

2013-11-26 10:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

The amount of time to recover from the marathon would hurt your training for the HIM, if you wanted to do your best at it.

2013-11-26 10:50 AM

User image

Seattle

no.
2013-11-26 11:14 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Elesa-
I'd be a bit nervous about returning to running with an agressive block of training (in terms of what you would need to do well) for both a marathon and shortly after that a HIM...You asking for another leg injury.

I'd delay the marathon until the year after or find one to consider for the fall, if you stay healthy and your leg holds out.

That said-
1- I do not think going further than 2.5 hours helps much and certainly does increase injury risk. I've done super LR's in training but the breakdown/recovery price is high. Consider capping your LR's in the future at this time and instead add medLR's with intensity-more bang for the buck with less injury risk. There are schools of thought that you should spend an equivalent 'time on your feet' LR to your goal M time, but...I'm not a believer.

2-Focus on your HIM, as noted above.
Dale
2013-11-26 11:20 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

NM.

Edited by switch 2013-11-26 11:21 AM
2013-11-26 11:29 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
but...I AM very GLAD you are back to running...

2013-11-26 11:52 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Thanks.  I appreciate the feedback from everyone.

I'm having a hard time adjusting my goals with respect to this injury.  I wasn't going to race the marathon, which maybe I should have made clear, I was just going to try to run it fast enough to BQ (a goal I had had for this year pre-injury).  At my current VDOT a well trained marathon would be a 3:30, and I only need a 3:45 to BQ.  I have >10 marathons under my belt, but, admittedly, I haven't done one in 12 years, so it's been a while. 

I really don't want to be dumb about stuff and have undo injury risk.  The JD M plan is actually not that different than what I will be doing in training for my HIM, though the long runs will certainly be shorter.  The tris are more imprtant, I was just thinking I could start runnning conservatively again, working on my base, and see how things went.  The nice thing about this race was that it was so close to home and wouldn't fill, so I could "call the ball" late. 

*sigh*

OK, I'm tabling it.  I just wanted to lay out why I had even considered it :

2013-11-26 1:53 PM

User image

Seattle

I've pretty much already told you what I've thought when we have talked before but for the sake of conversation I'll elaborate.

I think it's difficult to adequately train for a marathon while training for an "a" HIM. I think even more difficult would be to fully recover from a marathon while you are supposed to be peaking and then racing that HIM well. At that point they are kind of both getting in the way of eachother.  

It's not really my expertise, but I think managing multiple HIMs and OLYs throughout a season would make a lot of sense but I'll let others comment on the best way to do that. 

2013-11-26 2:16 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by dtoce 

That said- 1- I do not think going further than 2.5 hours helps much and certainly does increase injury risk. I've done super LR's in training but the breakdown/recovery price is high. Consider capping your LR's in the future at this time and instead add medLR's with intensity-more bang for the buck with less injury risk. There are schools of thought that you should spend an equivalent 'time on your feet' LR to your goal M time, but...I'm not a believer. Dale

While I understand how important the mental aspect of racing a marathon is (which is why I suspect you like to go so far in your LR), I agree with Dale. 

And if you are following JD, you would have to be running pretty significant mileage to keep that long run within the recommended range. I think, like everything, there is some wiggle room here BUT I also think that once you start to get beyond 35% you are putting yourself a quite a bit of risk of injury. And considering your current injury, I wouldn't gamble on that. 

I'm a much bigger fan of increasing overall frequency and volume spread throughout a plan rather than weighing down any one specific run.

It's much less technical, but I think  Hansons Marathon Method is a good reference for this concept. And the idea of cumulative fatigue is VERY relevant in triathlon training. I think you guys have talked about this recently, being sure to take into account the S and the B.

2013-12-05 3:06 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

I had a great chat with our coach yesterday. I think I am going to do a 16-week M build instead of 18, that way I can take a little down time after Nationals. I was talking to a teammate who was expressing her frustration with herself for not taking downtime in between track and XC so, the conversation with my coach was timely! 

He also expressed his desire for me to stop doing Boston so I can get some good marathon PRs which I totally agree with AFTER this one I just couldn't have last year be my one and only Boston.

I'm super excited about what's coming up!

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

3000 swim challenge... Nov 15-Dec 15

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 1868 Posts: 2

2012-11-17 12:46 AM simpsonbo

Winter Crummy Weather Challenge Week 6 Dec 9-15

Started by TriDDS
Views: 2168 Posts: 13

2008-01-21 7:40 PM MikeJ

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 15 (Feb 18-24)

Started by autumn
Views: 1706 Posts: 10

2007-02-27 9:28 AM pseudoyams

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 10 (jan 15-21)

Started by autumn
Views: 2294 Posts: 18

2007-01-22 2:23 PM AKtri

Strength Challenge - Week 15 Check-in

Started by Ron
Views: 1396 Posts: 3

2006-12-20 11:11 PM jcjsc00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : October 4, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running
date : March 10, 2010
author : jgoss47
comments : 3
Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.

date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.
date : March 13, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Comparing Heart Rate Formulas: Age, Karvonen, Leger, MAF and Friel.

date : February 13, 2005
author : Glenn
comments : 0
Without a doubt, we begin to notice patterns in our training performances. We notice when our good and bad days repeat themselves in our logbook.
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.