Other Resources Challenge Me! » Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2013-12-04 11:19 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club

Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by reecealan

I bought some Stretchcordz and they should be here soon.  I was ordering other gear and had to go over a certain amount to get free shipping so that's what I threw in.  

How do you know what resistance to get? I know nothing about these stretch cords and I too don't want to spend too much dough ont them. But I want to get the right ones, I see them at the gym but not swim specific, just the ones trainers use etc. Also want durable that will last a while. This Stretchcordz brand seems reliable from what I can see, and I'd hope so for the price...

I guessed and went with the red which is the second highest resistance.  I posted a question on ST about it and got a few different responses.  One of them was TJ Fry and he said they sell lots of them but green was by far the most popular.  The store I was buying from didn't have green so I went one harder with red.

Have you trained with them yet?  What do you think?

Canada Post sucks and I haven't gotten them yet.  

2013-12-04 11:21 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by reecealan

I bought some Stretchcordz and they should be here soon.  I was ordering other gear and had to go over a certain amount to get free shipping so that's what I threw in.  

How do you know what resistance to get? I know nothing about these stretch cords and I too don't want to spend too much dough ont them. But I want to get the right ones, I see them at the gym but not swim specific, just the ones trainers use etc. Also want durable that will last a while. This Stretchcordz brand seems reliable from what I can see, and I'd hope so for the price...

I guessed and went with the red which is the second highest resistance.  I posted a question on ST about it and got a few different responses.  One of them was TJ Fry and he said they sell lots of them but green was by far the most popular.  The store I was buying from didn't have green so I went one harder with red.

Have you trained with them yet?  What do you think?

Canada Post sucks and I haven't gotten them yet.  :(

:(  Please update us when you try them.

I wonder if it's the kind of thing you can adjust by how much you preload the band--how far away you stand from whatever it's attached to? I suppose if the resistance is too high you can't make it easier, but maybe you can effectively make the lighter bands feel heavier by standing further away??

2013-12-04 11:24 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by switch   Please update us when you try them.

I wonder if it's the kind of thing you can adjust by how much you preload the band--how far away you stand from whatever it's attached to? I suppose if the resistance is too high you can't make it easier, but maybe you can effectively make the lighter bands feel heavier by standing further away??

It must be possible to a point, the red ones are rated as 12 - 31 lbs.  That seems like a pretty wide range so there must be something you can do.

2013-12-04 12:33 PM
in reply to: puzzlecreek

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by puzzlecreek Not posted in a while so thought I would chime back in. My last post, I had seen an improvement in my 100 time and swam this morning and decided to time 2 500's to see where I was at. Hoping for more improvement. Alas, had a decline in performance. I was off 34 seconds on first 500 and 30 seconds on second. Very frustrating! My swim partner did point out that the pool was closed all Thanksgiving week and I guess swimming is something where consistency really pays off so gonna try and chalk this one up to that and move forward. One thing I struggle with and maybe someone can offer some advice is I have a pause at the front of my stroke. My hand enters the water, I extend and have a pause. It's like I am "loading up" to start the pull and need just a bit of rest before I make the pull. When I try and take this pause out, I can't seem to hold that pace for long. Any suggestions? Or is it just an endurance thing that I just need to overcome? Thanks All, Jerred

Some days you "have it" and some days you don't.  Not too long ago, I did my fastest 500 ever (it was the third 500 of a 3x500 set).  About two weeks later, I was asked to do a 500 for time, so I thought maybe I could improve on it.  I was about 10 seconds slower (if I recall correctly).  Part of that may be attributed to the fact that the set before that 500 was a 200 kick, but part of it may well be that it just wasn't my best day.

Since you took a week off, take some time to get back into swimming....then find a time to try again.  Or maybe try something different....you mentioned that your 100 time had improved, so maybe try to work on holding that 100 time for x number of repeats....or see if you can improve the 100 time.

2013-12-04 12:40 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Did everyone see the video that AdventureBear posted in TriTalk?  it's a pretty good example of someone who should read this book.    Also, based on Suzanne's comments in the thread, it shows how much an underwater video can show that what you think you are doing may not be (probably isn't) what you are really doing.

2013-12-04 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Did everyone see the video that AdventureBear posted in TriTalk?  it's a pretty good example of someone who should read this book.    Also, based on Suzanne's comments in the thread, it shows how much an underwater video can show that what you think you are doing may not be (probably isn't) what you are really doing.

yes-it's now bookmarked

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

very excellent!

2013-12-04 2:59 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Originally posted by dtoce

yes-it's now bookmarked

very excellent!

Thanks for bookmarking this. This really helped me. I now see my entry is killing my forward momentum. Back to the pool.....
2013-12-04 3:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I thought it was an excellent video and analysis -- I was actually thinking about it as I was swimming this morning.  And it really makes me want to get underwater video of myself to see what I'm doing.  I suspect things feel different than they look!

2013-12-05 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

So I've returned to the pool this week after a roughly three month layoff with lots of info bouncing around in my head (SSS, Gerry's video, etc.).  So far, it has been a miserable experience.  Now, of course I expected this to a certain degree, but I'm finding that I can't even get the basics right to try to start implementing some of the concepts stored up in my noggin.  My breath timing is all off and I have zero feel for where my legs are, much less any kick.  I'm also switching back to bilateral breathing (as opposed to my natural 4-stroke breathing...yes, I know ).

So the question I would pose to the group is:  is there a baseline level of proficiency AND fitness required before an athlete should start working on their swim stroke?

My thought is that you need to be able to get through a decent swim session (say, I dunno...30-40 solid minutes or 1200-1500y) before any technique work is going to help.

Thoughts?

2013-12-05 1:28 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

Master
Northern IL

Maybe I don't quite understand what is meant by "swim stroke", but you start working on that from the get go. The specific parts worked on may change or vary over time, but you're always working on something.

One exception I can think of is if you're injured in a manner that affects your stroke.

2013-12-05 1:33 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Mike, that's an interesting question.  How do you define technique work?  Drills?

If you are swimming, you should be working on your swim stroke at all times.  In fact, I believe the best time to really solidify a good stroke is to focus on it when you are tired.  Having good technique while fresh and rested is great but being able to dig in and maintain your form when the going gets tough is what really helps in the long run.

2013-12-05 1:35 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by brigby1

Maybe I don't quite understand what is meant by "swim stroke", but you start working on that from the get go. The specific parts worked on may change or vary over time, but you're always working on something.

One exception I can think of is if you're injured in a manner that affects your stroke.

I guess what I mean is attempting to make adjustments to my current, albeit flawed, technique, which I can't even really perform yet because I haven't been near a pool in three months.

An example would be the focus on the high elbow when I can't even time my breathing correctly and my legs are flailing all over the place.

2013-12-05 1:37 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Mike, that's an interesting question.  How do you define technique work?  Drills?

If you are swimming, you should be working on your swim stroke at all times.  In fact, I believe the best time to really solidify a good stroke is to focus on it when you are tired.  Having good technique while fresh and rested is great but being able to dig in and maintain your form when the going gets tough is what really helps in the long run.

Not necessarily...I'm talking about focusing on a specific (or multiple) technique changes while swimming. 

I agree on the focus when you're tired.  That's when all hell breaks loose for me and I start using brute force to keep my paces up.

2013-12-05 1:39 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I guess what I mean is attempting to make adjustments to my current, albeit flawed, technique, which I can't even really perform yet because I haven't been near a pool in three months.

An example would be the focus on the high elbow when I can't even time my breathing correctly and my legs are flailing all over the place.

Well, that's part of your swim stroke too.  

You are right in the sense that you can't work on too many things at once.  Spend some time on those issues but don't be afraid to work on the techniques of the pull as well.  You may find that doing so helps correct the other timing issues you are having - maybe not too but I think it's worth trying.

2013-12-05 3:53 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

So I've returned to the pool this week after a roughly three month layoff with lots of info bouncing around in my head (SSS, Gerry's video, etc.).  So far, it has been a miserable experience.  Now, of course I expected this to a certain degree, but I'm finding that I can't even get the basics right to try to start implementing some of the concepts stored up in my noggin.  My breath timing is all off and I have zero feel for where my legs are, much less any kick.  I'm also switching back to bilateral breathing (as opposed to my natural 4-stroke breathing...yes, I know ).

So the question I would pose to the group is:  is there a baseline level of proficiency AND fitness required before an athlete should start working on their swim stroke?

My thought is that you need to be able to get through a decent swim session (say, I dunno...30-40 solid minutes or 1200-1500y) before any technique work is going to help.

Thoughts?

Mike, I wonder if any of these might help:

Do short repeats, 50s and 75s at first and take a decent RI

Maybe alternate swim and pull sets, just to give yourself sometime to focus on the pull

Add in drill or kick sets to give yourself reminders of good position.  So instead of a structure like WU, Drill, MS, CD you might try, WU, repeats with drills interspersed for your MS, CD

Try breathing every two instead of every three, just to make sure oxygen isn't a limiter

Of course, with any of my recommendations, I would love for the "real swimmers" to chime in, as I always second-guess any swimming suggestions I give :)

I also see SnappingT recommend fins a lot for people getting back into the pool, I haven't tried that, but I wonder if that might help you?

2013-12-05 8:04 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I've gotten through chapter 5 of SSS and one thing that's definitely stuck in my head is the importance of the pull. What I do to practice/remind myself of good form is to stick a pull bouy between my legs and concentrate on the stroke, head position, high elbow etc. Maybe try doing 50's or 100's doing every other set with the bouy. I usually do at least 200 warmup with the bouy to practice/remind myseelf what my stroke should feel like before my lowsy kick messes things up.

Once you're into the set and starting to get tired it's difficult to hold good form, I think that happens to most of us. Maybe allow yourself more rest so that at least for a while you'll hold good form. Slow it down a little, that will help. For example if you're having trouble doing 5x100 at 1:55 try 2:00 or 2:05 intervals instead.

2013-12-05 8:43 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Originally posted by dtoce

yes-it's now bookmarked

very excellent!

I watched the video and noticed that there was no high elbow and the coach said nothing about it. Is it not as important as Sheila claims?
2013-12-06 2:52 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by b2run I watched the video and noticed that there was no high elbow and the coach said nothing about it. Is it not as important as Sheila claims?

I don't want to make it a TI vs SSS debate but Suzanne (the coach) is a TI instructor which has a somewhat different philosophy.  Notice she focuses on balance, body position, hand position etc.  She also says in her comments on the thread that she has told him many times about his lack of a high elbow, it just doesn't seem to be as high on the priority list.  

Sheila is saying forget all that and fix your pull first as it is the most important.  It's just two different approaches.  

2013-12-06 7:17 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by b2run I watched the video and noticed that there was no high elbow and the coach said nothing about it. Is it not as important as Sheila claims?

I don't want to make it a TI vs SSS debate but Suzanne (the coach) is a TI instructor which has a somewhat different philosophy.  Notice she focuses on balance, body position, hand position etc.  She also says in her comments on the thread that she has told him many times about his lack of a high elbow, it just doesn't seem to be as high on the priority list.  

Sheila is saying forget all that and fix your pull first as it is the most important.  It's just two different approaches.  

Haven't seen much of the vid yet to confirm, but was going to point that out as well.

2013-12-06 7:27 AM

Master
Northern IL

Well, that's part of your swim stroke too.  

You are right in the sense that you can't work on too many things at once.  Spend some time on those issues but don't be afraid to work on the techniques of the pull as well.  You may find that doing so helps correct the other timing issues you are having - maybe not too but I think it's worth trying.

When things seem to be getting out of hand, slowing it down into something like a catch-up drill for a bit has helped. Or using the pull buoy to help get the front part more under control again. From what TJ has said, a number of issues come from something in the front half, so calming it down and putting things together again has helped me out there.

I would think there's somewhat of an order or priority to work on things, but not entirely sure what it all should be. Would think just being comfortable moving in the water should be up there for someone starting out (or starting up again).

2013-12-06 8:13 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Can someone explain (if possible??) how to feel the difference between "extending" and "gliding"?  I just finished reading the main part of the book (still have some appendices left to read) and the section where she talked about stroke rate really hit home.  I went back through some of my old swim workouts on Garmin Connect and it looks like my stroke rate is closer to 2 sec / stroke....nowhere close to the 1.2 - 1.6 sec / stroke (granted, I am swimming in a 25m pool, not a 50m pool....and the 910 can only tell me the number of strokes per length, not actually calculate my stroke rate).

So it's clear to me that I'm probably gliding too much, but I can't seem to figure out how to start my pull earlier -- I feel like I'm only gliding for as long as it takes me to extend my arm out front, but it's still probably too long.

I thought the book was pretty good, but I don't know how effective learning to swim (and/or correct flaws) from a book is.  I feel like I really need someone to give me immediate feedback and manipulate my arms to show me what in the world I'm supposed to be doing!  Sadly, Sheila put on a clinic at my pool about a year ago, but I didn't know about it until afterwards.

2013-12-06 8:27 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

To me, the difference between gliding and extending is simply what else is happening while that front arm is out there.  Getting your arm out in front and then finishing up your body rotation while rotating your shoulder out to load up the right muscles is extending.  Gliding is having that arm out there but there is no other functional movement going on at the same time - you've already rotated your body and shoulder (hopefully) and you have a little pause at that point.

If you truly are gliding then you need to eliminate it.  There are other possible causes for a slow turnover though.  I see people at my pool that have a v.e.r.y slow recovery (and likely slow pull but the recovery seems worse).

2013-12-06 11:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Hah, still not entirely sure if I glide or if I'm just extending.  I suspect there's some glide action going on....underwater video would probably be extremely helpful to figure that out!  Maybe someone in my master's group has an underwater video camera.  On second thought, would you be able to tell anything from above water video?  I'm sure any of the coaches would be able to pull out a smart phone and shoot some video...

2013-12-06 11:48 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Hah, still not entirely sure if I glide or if I'm just extending.  I suspect there's some glide action going on....underwater video would probably be extremely helpful to figure that out!  Maybe someone in my master's group has an underwater video camera.  On second thought, would you be able to tell anything from above water video?  I'm sure any of the coaches would be able to pull out a smart phone and shoot some video...

Well, it would be better than nothing but you miss a lot.  Going back to that video in Tri Talk, if you were to only watch the above water stuff you would probably say he has a pretty decent stroke but below you see some big flaws.

2013-12-06 4:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
LHOTP

My swim coach friend sent me these two videos the other day, and I thought they were really helpful for visualizing the catch--the first one features our very own S.T. on the halo bench and the second one is Karlyn Pipes.  I think her video is good both for the catch and the glide/extension conversation.  If you just saw her hand you might say "glide" but look at the rest of her body (shoulder, lat, hips) and see the work going on while that arm's out front.   Love that straight, straight, straight hand to arm transition.  Beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENgIRfj1l4c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bPvk0paWcg

Edited by switch 2013-12-06 4:55 PM
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Nov 15-Dec 15 "Swim Speed Secrets" Book Club Rss Feed  

of 12

RELATED POSTS

Oct 15-Nov 15 "Triathlete's Guide to Training with Power" Book Club Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by switch
Views: 16457 Posts: 83

2014-03-14 7:38 AM brigby1

Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25

Started by switch
Views: 38515 Posts: 615

2014-06-05 3:38 PM popsracer

3000 swim challenge... Nov 15-Dec 15

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 1865 Posts: 2

2012-11-17 12:46 AM simpsonbo

Winter Crummy Weather Challenge Week 6 Dec 9-15

Started by TriDDS
Views: 2166 Posts: 13

2008-01-21 7:40 PM MikeJ

Strength Challenge - Week 15 Check-in

Started by Ron
Views: 1396 Posts: 3

2006-12-20 11:11 PM jcjsc00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2010
author : jgoss47
comments : 3
Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.

date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.
date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!

date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
comments : 0
The Elite wetsuit was redesigned four times before going to the market in order to maximize its benefits. Does all this speed come at the expense of comfort? I had to find out.
date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.

date : February 13, 2005
author : Glenn
Without a doubt, we begin to notice patterns in our training performances. We notice when our good and bad days repeat themselves in our logbook.
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : October 10, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...