General Discussion Race Reports! » Oil Man Texas Triathlon - Formerly Iron Star Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Oil Man Texas Triathlon - Formerly Iron Star Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Conroe, Texas
United States
Outloud! Productions
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 48m 24s
Overall Rank = 156/536
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 27/56
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4, ate two pop tarts and drank 8 ounces of water with a nuun tablet and drank a cup of coffee. Made my perpetuem bottle for the ride and finished packing up all of my stuff. Left the house around 4:50; not exactly sure what took so long, but I left about 25 minutes later than planned.

My lower back hurt all week and nothing changed Sunday morning. Very tight and it began to spasm whenever i made quick movements.
Event warmup:

Since i got to the race so late, i didnt really get a chance to warm up. I set up my gear, got on my wet-suit and headed to the starting line.
Swim
  • 34m
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

This year we did a beach start. I was the second wave, so after the first went off, i worked my way near the front left of the pack. They called for the start, and i followed the group. I ran out until it was slightly more than knee deep and dove in. Getting horizontal HURT my lower back. Badly. I struggled, but I finally found a way to keep from having continuous pain. I felt like I couldn't quite get the spacing I wanted, but I just kept long and smooth strokes.

Siting was perfect this race. I never went off course, aside from the few times I chose to swim around people. I felt good the entire race
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, really.
Transition 1
  • 03m 56s
Comments:

I made a decision to put on gloves and arm warmers as well as my top in T1. This cost me some time, as the arm warmers and gloves didn't want to go in to my wet skin. Kind of annoying!

Maybe try to put on my gear while riding.
Bike
  • 2h 53m 36s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.35 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike started off really strong. Stuck to my plan of drinking 3 oz of water with nuun and 1 ounce of perpetuem. I was feeling very strong until i hit the out and back. My average was around 21 mph at this point. This out and back is very bumpy and it seems like it is uphill both ways. I left the out and back at around 20.6 mph I felt great up until mile 30. A strong headwind came and completely kicked my tail. At mile 37 my chain popped off. I jumped off, put the chain back on, and decided to take the time to use the rest room. Glad i did because i really had to go.

I watched my average fall all the way to 19.4 mph, which was very discouraging. However, i was glad that i kept my HR around 155.

Not much. The age group was an average of 12 minutes slower from last year, so i dont feel bad.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

not much to say here. smooth transition

nothing
Run
  • 2h 15m 22s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was pretty good. Kept my average below 10 until mile 6, where it slowly crept up. My stomach stayed in good shape, but i gave up on gels and switched to coke around mile 8. My back was the limiting factor for me this race, so not much i could do.

Not much. Pushed myself as best as i could and shaved 15 minutes over last year
Post race
Event comments:

ate a lot of food and felt great

Last updated: 2013-11-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:00 | 1931 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/56
Overall: 0/536
Performance: Good
Suit: New Vortex Vendetta
Course: Head out of the canal, three right turns before the finish
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:56
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:53:36 | 56 miles | 19.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/56
Performance: Average
Avg Hr was 155
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:15:22 | 13.1 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 37/56
Performance: Good
AVG HR was 144
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-11-07 8:58 PM

New user
Subject: Oil Man Texas Triathlon - Formerly Iron Star Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oil Man Texas Triathlon - Formerly Iron Star Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Oil Man Texas Triathlon - Formerly Iron Star Triathlon

Started by trebor587
Views: 1209 Posts: 1

2011-11-11 11:28 AM trebor587

Started by tsapp1981
Views: 1189 Posts: 1

2011-11-07 11:37 PM tsapp1981

Started by g_shotts
Views: 1593 Posts: 1

2011-11-07 9:28 AM g_shotts

Started by txjp
Views: 1292 Posts: 1

2011-11-07 8:59 AM txjp

Started by scm724
Views: 1526 Posts: 1

2011-11-07 8:58 AM scm724
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : July 9, 2007
author : Diane1961
comments : 5
There are so many reasons I love this sport and extremely buff, handsome men disrobing next to me is one of them.

date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
Although you can receive all of your vitamins and minerals through foods eaten in the diet, nutritional products used for training may not allow you to meet recommendations on a daily basis.
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.