BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2014-03-22 4:18 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

, West-Vlaanderen
Subject: RE: McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED)

Congrats!!!!!!!

Tomorrow i'll update my race schedule because i'm enrolled in already a lot more races then my dashboard says :D

2014-03-22 7:27 PM

User image

Congratulations! That is great news and you should be very proud of yourself! To be able to podium has got to be an amazing feeling.
2014-03-23 6:06 PM
in reply to: Lanne

User image

I did a new long yesterday- 11.1 miles. I'm definitely going to be at least distance prepped for the half marathon. In fact, I might sign up for another one about 4 weeks before the one on June 1st. Anyway, Tridmi suggested doing some interval training (thanks for the inspire! I love getting those!) to help increase my speed a bit. I'm a good slogger, but would love to pick up the pace just a bit. The second half I might sign up for has a 7 mile cutoff time at 90 minutes, which I can do, but it's close.

anyway- I run 4-5 times a week. One long, 2 medium, 2 short or 1 medium, 2 short or something like that. My short is usually 2 miles, medium 5ish, and long is up to 11. I plan on getting the long run up to 13. I'm not really planning on increasing the medium run much, it seems long enough, and it takes me an hour+ as it is in the middle of work. (My boss is very understanding and he does sprint/olympic tris so he gets it).

Any suggestions on what I could do for interval training- I've been running for about a year now, so I think I can handle some. But not sure what to do!
2014-03-23 11:01 PM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

So far, after reading some on the net, you don't actually have to run the full distance from the beginning. You can build this up slowly.  And doing this once a week is good enough. Interval training should just take up one session EACH week. And if you really want to go full on training, then doing 4 to 5 training session/week, like you are doing now, is the way to go. As for me this is how I would do it (more or less)

Mo: short run, easy

Tuesday: medium run, easy

wednesday: interval

Thursday: rest/cross easy

friday: short, race pace (3 to 5 miles). Race pace is the pace you think you will or WANT to run at. This can be adjusted if you advance really well.

saturday: long run, easy

Sunday: rest/cross easy

One (or both) rest days can be cross-training. This is doing something other then running, but at a very easy effort. Such as swimming, taking a nice walk, biking.

As to fil in what interval training should look like, I have no real idea. Still learning on that :D But i think this site will give you some nice training schedules. (or Google)

2014-03-24 8:07 PM

User image

Originally posted by ingleshteechur McFuzzies!!! I made the podium today! 2nd place Women 40-44! I'll be filling out a race report later but I think my final time was 3:03, haven't even looked at my splits yet! It was a great race! Proud of myself!

Congratulations! How exciting! You should be super proud!

2014-03-27 8:43 AM
in reply to: annplumley

User image

Well, after a lot research and and waffling back and forth; I think I am ready to make a bike purchase. A LBS here in town is having what they call their spring tent sale and everything is 10% off. They have a Trek 1.5 2013 model on closeout, and I will buy if its still there after work. If not I will have them order me a Felt Z95. The Trek has the better shifters, but the Felt is good also, I don't think I will notice the difference other than the Trek has 2 more gears.
It is much more than I originally wanted to spend, but the benefits of buying from a LBS are far better. This shop will give free wheel truing and tuneups for as long as I own the bike; a far better deal than buying a bike from Wal-mart or online. I have co workers who have recommended buying from an LBS, and a co worker who has bought from this particular shop. A co worker has pedals he will give me, so I will get a bike, helmet and a toolkit. Anyone recommend anything else that I should also get? Thanks and I'll post pics when I actually get it! Have a great weekend!

Mike

2014-03-27 8:07 PM
in reply to: Mr10670

User image

Elite

How is everybody doing?  I have one more day left of teaching and then we are off for Spring Break!  Yay!  I really hope the weather is nice next weekend so I can get off the trainer and outside!

Who has races this weekend?  

How has training been going?

2014-03-28 6:51 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Cool Kim, enjoy the time off.  

Nice Avatar pic BTW.

2014-03-28 6:54 PM
in reply to: Mr10670

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Congrats on the bike.  Get a patch kit, spare tubes, and a frame pump or CO2 inflator (or a mini-pump that works as a pump or with CO2) and probably a floor pump and tire levers.  

A light kit might be good too!  (Most roadies scoff at leaving reflectors on the bike and wheels, but they don't cause me any problems, so I left them on my road bike).  

2014-03-28 10:33 PM

User image

this week, the weather has absolutely gotten to me. I haven't mustered the energy to do anything at all since Monday. I'm just so tired of the cold and ick. I'm hoping to get myself back on track tomorrow with a run and swim. Plus I think I've had some kind of low grade sickness going on- son #2 was definitely sick and I have had some of the same symptoms, but mostly just tired and unmotivated and head achy and off. More sleep and warmer weather please! (Of course, according to the weather we're suppose dot get a couple inches of snow tomorrow evening.) yay winter. not.
2014-03-29 8:58 AM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Againn me and my foolishess not to get in bed in time has caused me to do almost nothing this week. My biggest problem isn't training for a triathlon, it's actually going to bed early.

2014-03-30 10:12 AM
in reply to: Tridimi

User image

Elite
Good morning! Nancy, I hear you on the weathe. I'm so ready for spring to come and stay. Totally crappy here do my 2 hour run will be in the treadmill...uuuughhh. The weather will improve eventually but I totally get getting the ickies when the bad weather drags on.Dimitri--get to bed! Lol, I love going to bed early so that's rarely a problem for me!
2014-03-30 2:17 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Elite

Originally posted by McFuzz

Cool Kim, enjoy the time off.  

Nice Avatar pic BTW.

Thank you!

2014-03-31 9:08 PM

User image

I just registered for my first race! May 24th will be here before I know it. Hopefully I will actually be able to train outdoors before then! We got 3 inches of snow Saturday night but tomorrow it is supposed to reach 60. I am going to try to run outside tomorrow morning which will be the first time since October I think. The bike is where I really need to get some time outdoors. A real bike is so different than a stationary bike so I need the time training there for sure. I will admit to being excited and totally nervous about registering for my first race. I made myself sign-up so I can't talk myself out of it before then! Once I commit the money, I won't back out!

2014-04-01 6:17 AM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

A new month has started! How has everybody been in March? I'll start off with my monthly update. Really looking forward to all of your updates.

The stats for March:

Swim: 3h05   8700m
Run: 3h41m 50s - 39 km
Bike: 9h 16m 31s 215.66km
Bike to work: 9h25m
Squash: 1h30m

I started out really well in March and really had good hopes in getting a top month! Alas, it didn't work out well. Due to very irregular working shifts, playing too much computer games and therefor not sleeping enough at all, I didn't do a lot of sport the second half of March. Like I said before, when i do not get enough sleep, I get very unmotivated. I also start to eat much more and more unhealthy when feeling tired. You'ld think the solution is easy and just go to bed early. Well, that's not how my mind works. I'm always so distracted and I have this ability to occupy myself even with the most silliest things, I can easily sit at a table and keep myself occupied and loosing time. And when I do feel the need to sleep, I mostly see its waaaaaaay past bedtime.

My weightloss has come to a halt too . No extra loss of weight since the beginning of March. (No extra weight added though so thats not so bad)

GOALS FOR APRIL

- get more sleep
- train more consistent

The first goal is obvious. The second goal i have set myself is not looking at how many hours I train, but train more days consecutively so I have a more consistent training plan. So even when I had a bad sleep, I'll try to manage to do at least something, even if its only 15 minutes of running.

Besides my goals, I have been enrolled in more races. I should really take some time to update them in my dashboard.

So now that I have posted my update and goals, I'm really want to hear about all of you guys. It's been a bit quiet lately and I really want to hear from all of you!!

2014-04-01 8:13 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by annplumley

I just registered for my first race! May 24th will be here before I know it. Hopefully I will actually be able to train outdoors before then! We got 3 inches of snow Saturday night but tomorrow it is supposed to reach 60. I am going to try to run outside tomorrow morning which will be the first time since October I think. The bike is where I really need to get some time outdoors. A real bike is so different than a stationary bike so I need the time training there for sure. I will admit to being excited and totally nervous about registering for my first race. I made myself sign-up so I can't talk myself out of it before then! Once I commit the money, I won't back out!

Good job!  It can be scary pressing "submit" on the website.  Luckily, you only have 7 weeks to obsess over the race!    

2014-04-01 8:15 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

OK all,

We've reached the end of our "Official" mentor group, but there is no reason the group cannot continue.  

What has gone well?

What would you do differently?

Have you committed to any races?  

What do you want to do differently to be ready on race day?

2014-04-01 8:17 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Dimitri,

Thanks for posting this.  The first step to changing something is to recognize the need to change and what needs to change, and you've done both of those.  

The weather is getting better, so it'll be easier to train outside.  

2014-04-01 8:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

OK all,

We've reached the end of our "Official" mentor group, but there is no reason the group cannot continue.  

What has gone well?

We still have a half-dozen people inspiring one another and training.  
Peer-to-peer encouragement and exchange of ideas (specifically weightloss) has been great.  

I was inconsistent getting to people's logs.  
I "lost" too many people in the first few weeks, some who haven't been back onto BT since joining the group.  

My race season is coming into focus.  Triple-T sold out before I got registered so I'll put it on the plan for 2015.  I signed up for Beach-to-Battleship (140.6) last night, so I'll be training from now until the end of October for that.  

I've loaded the Ironman training plan.  I need to get more consistent with workouts.  

Edited by McFuzz 2014-04-01 8:23 AM
2014-04-03 7:58 AM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

It's almost official now. Achilles tendon is painfull and kept me from running yesterday. Made an appointment with a physiotherapist next week.

2014-04-03 9:03 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
well doesn't look like im going outside today, damn sahara sand.

2014-04-03 11:45 AM
in reply to: Jynxy

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Is it that bad over there?

2014-04-03 12:42 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Tridimi

It's almost official now. Achilles tendon is painfull and kept me from running yesterday. Made an appointment with a physiotherapist next week.

Ouch!  I was suffering that November-January.  

2014-04-04 4:27 AM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

It's really really ruining my plans. 19th of may i'm supposed to go biking to the Mont Ventoux and shortly after that the first Tri's will start. And in the beginning of May there is also a nice new running race that I wanted to participate in... I hope resting now for a week and getting some good advice from the physio will help me real quick.

2014-04-04 7:48 AM

User image

OK all,

What has gone well?

The encouragement and advice from the group has helped keep me motivated. It is very nice to feel supported.

I would be more active in participating in the group discussions.

I have committed to my first on May 24th! I have two other possibilities I am considering for the summer. I will probably wait to see how the 24th goes.

I want to actually ride a real bike! I have only been able to train on a stationary bike at the YMCA so I really need to get out there. I am not totally comfortable on my bike, especially starting and stopping, so some good quality time on it outside would be really helpful.

Goals/Hopes/Plans:

- complete my 20 week training plan

- plan for and complete my first triathlon on May 24

- take some swimming lessons to improve technique

- train in open water

- get comfortable on my bike enough to ride it on roads with traffic and stops

- sign up for some different exercise classes at the Y so I keep the exercising fresh and do not get burned out

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 21

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 36832 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Michael
I heard an athletic trainer say that in life we have many setbacks. The key is to overcome these setbacks, but the question is how?

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.