BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2014-01-15 4:17 PM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: McFuzz's New Athlete Group (OPEN)

Originally posted by el penguino

Welcome Nancy! 

Be careful about bikes, there is ALWAYS a better bike out there and many triathletes are compelled to try finding it! 

This I know!! Luckily or not, DH is pretty good about not jumping a the next best thing- he really is a bit on the old school when it comes to bikes!

I'm a bit unusual myself.  I've done two iron distance races on a mid-90's Klein Aeolus.  Aluminum frame, 650C wheels.  My "race wheels" are a set of Bontrager Selects that I got for $100 (I wanted a rear wheel with a free-hub so I could get a different cassette.  My Klein has the old freewheel and finding a cluster that had the gears I wanted at a price I was willing to pay was a challenge.)  My buddy was telling me I should upgrade to a new(er) bike. Modern bikes may be a lot lighter and have better features, but that bike isn't what limits my performance and it's nice to show up with something distinctive. 

2014-01-15 4:53 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

please don't talk to my husband then- I'm angling for a truly new bike in a few years when boy1 (11 YO) is my height.
2014-01-15 7:35 PM

User image

Hi I would like to join,

I am 36 years old did my first Tri last year with minimal training to encourage and support a friend. I went on to do 2 short distance Tri's last year and am now concentrating on a series of sprint Tri's this season, oh might add I am from Perth, Western Australia so we are in the thick of it at the moment.

I was hoping to do my first Olympic distance this year but have dropped down to sprint this week, just cannot RUN! but I have started interval training with a PT so hoping to be better and ready for next year

I am a mother of 2 and own /run my own business so time is some what limited but i do manage to get out about 5 sessions a week, looking to give and recieve support and encouragement.
2014-01-16 5:52 AM
in reply to: Lanne

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Hi Lannne,

Welcome! I don't know how fare the season runs in Australia but having a PT for running is a great deal. OD should be possible for a non-runner i think if you have a couple of months to spare to take it easy.

I have not been training for 2 days now and I feel bad about it. Tuesday was a planned resting day. Yesterday I planned a biketraining in the morning but it rained and it was too cold and windy to go out. In the evening I could have gone for a run after 8pm but i wasted the evening playing computer games. And on top of that, for some reason i'm gaining weight the last 2 weeks allthough i'm training more and eating about the same. This really sucks.

Time to put some more willpower into it and watch my food a bit more. There must be something I do wrong. :D Anyway, tonight i'm planning a swimtraining and i'm gonna nail it hard!

@rita

I work in law enforcement too! And also in a non-traditional schedule.

2014-01-16 7:06 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Lanne Hi I would like to join, I am 36 years old did my first Tri last year with minimal training to encourage and support a friend. I went on to do 2 short distance Tri's last year and am now concentrating on a series of sprint Tri's this season, oh might add I am from Perth, Western Australia so we are in the thick of it at the moment. I was hoping to do my first Olympic distance this year but have dropped down to sprint this week, just cannot RUN! but I have started interval training with a PT so hoping to be better and ready for next year I am a mother of 2 and own /run my own business so time is some what limited but i do manage to get out about 5 sessions a week, looking to give and recieve support and encouragement.

G'day Mate!  I spent 2 weeks in Oz back in 2005 and met some wonderful people.  Welcome to the group. 

Is Lanne your name?  If not, please share your first name with the group. 

2014-01-16 11:44 AM

User image

Elite

Wow!  So much activity in the last few days.  Semester finals are upon us so I have been busy this week but plan to catch up on all the new joiners!  The common thread I can see from skimming all introductions is DESIRE...to change, to lose weight, to train, to experience something new.  You've found the right sport for all of that! 

2014-01-16 12:42 PM
in reply to: 0

Hi, I would like to join your mentoring group. My name is Stacey, and I live in Connecticut. I just recently turned 41 years old. I was a runner in high school and very fit throughout college and early adult life but I had always been dealing with body image issues. I had wanted way back then to try to do a triathlon, but never got around to it. I started a slow but steady weight gain about 14 years ago while pregnant with my first child, and while I've dieted periodically off and on since then, I hadn't really stuck to anything diet or exercise-wise. At the end of 2013 I had a few "ah ha" moments where I realized it was time to change and get back to healthier weight and lifestyle. I remembered my desire in early adulthood to complete a triathlon, and thought this would be a great way to get back into shape while having a much needed feeling of accomplishment about achieving a lifelong goal. I also know old college friends who have completed triathlons at the Athena level, and they raved about the experience. So I went online and found this website, and here I am. I just signed up for the forums and I have been reading the various plans. I confess to feeling a little overwhelmed about where to start. I have been working on healthier eating for the past two weeks, but I have not yet had the courage to get on the scale. I am going to my YMCA today, and I will be facing that reality.

I have 3 kids aged between 13 and 8. I work about 25 hours per week in a largely sedentary job. I volunteer with my kids' Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, PTA, and my church. I tend to park myself in front of the computer when I get free time. I have not really participated in a lot of physical activity over the past 10 years, so much as I hate to admit it, I am really back at square one.

As far as goals, weight loss is a key goal for me. I am approximately 250 pounds at 5'7". I don't want to fixate on a number, but I think it would be great if I could get down to 165. I realize that isn't going to happen overnight, and it likely will take a couple of years. There is a women's triathlon in Farmington, CT in September that I would love to be able to participate in; I've heard it is very supportive and welcoming to newbies like myself. I am contemplating signing up for it now as an incentive.

I am really in need of direction as far as where to get started given my current out-of-shape-ness.

Thank you!

Edited by Want2TriCT 2014-01-16 12:48 PM
2014-01-16 1:42 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Want2TriCT Hi, I would like to join your mentoring group. My name is Stacey, and I live in Connecticut. I just recently turned 41 years old. I was a runner in high school and very fit throughout college and early adult life but I had always been dealing with body image issues. I had wanted way back then to try to do a triathlon, but never got around to it. I started a slow but steady weight gain about 14 years ago while pregnant with my first child, and while I've dieted periodically off and on since then, I hadn't really stuck to anything diet or exercise-wise. At the end of 2013 I had a few "ah ha" moments where I realized it was time to change and get back to healthier weight and lifestyle. I remembered my desire in early adulthood to complete a triathlon, and thought this would be a great way to get back into shape while having a much needed feeling of accomplishment about achieving a lifelong goal. I also know old college friends who have completed triathlons at the Athena level, and they raved about the experience. So I went online and found this website, and here I am. I just signed up for the forums and I have been reading the various plans. I confess to feeling a little overwhelmed about where to start. I have been working on healthier eating for the past two weeks, but I have not yet had the courage to get on the scale. I am going to my YMCA today, and I will be facing that reality. I have 3 kids aged between 13 and 8. I work about 25 hours per week in a largely sedentary job. I volunteer with my kids' Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, PTA, and my church. I tend to park myself in front of the computer when I get free time. I have not really participated in a lot of physical activity over the past 10 years, so much as I hate to admit it, I am really back at square one. As far as goals, weight loss is a key goal for me. I am approximately 250 pounds at 5'7". I don't want to fixate on a number, but I think it would be great if I could get down to 165. I realize that isn't going to happen overnight, and it likely will take a couple of years. There is a women's triathlon in Farmington, CT in September that I would love to be able to participate in; I've heard it is very supportive and welcoming to newbies like myself. I am contemplating signing up for it now as an incentive. I am really in need of direction as far as where to get started given my current out-of-shape-ness. Thank you!

Welcome Stacey!  I'm happy to have you as part of this group.  I'm still getting familiar with everyone who has joined this mentor group.  Mike and Dimitri have both lost a lot of weight.  Matt is trying to lose a lot of weight too.  Dimitri and some of the others have weight loss goals still to achieve.  There are forums for weightloss where people post before and after pictures. 

In addition to the scale, take some body measurements.  As you get more active and replace fat with muscle, the scale doesn't give you a good measure of progress. 

If you haven't, please get checked out by a doctor and consider doing a blood profile.  You can be encouraged by changes in blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, etc. as much as smaller clothes and lower numbers on the scale.  I'll also encourage you to consider a local coach who can help you train without injury. 

Edited by McFuzz 2014-01-16 4:06 PM
2014-01-16 3:02 PM
in reply to: Want2TriCT

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Hi, another one who's going to do it in 2014! I really like the face there are others who are going to do a first time triathlon in here so we can follow up on each other!

I have no idea at all how your condition is though i have the feeling that startin to run will be the first thing you want to retry seeing you once were a runner. I have a program called start to run and its made for people who are at square one where running begins and who are overweight. It's aim is to get from 0km to 5km ~ 3.1miles in less then 30 minutes over a period of 10 weeks.

It starts out slow but this is to prevent injury's as people with the extra weight put a lot of stress on their joints when they start to run. After that program, there is a start to 10km ~ 6.2m in another 10 weeks. It's a really good program and a lot of people in Belgium and the Netherlands have used it. So much even running has become one of the most popular sports around here. If you are interested, i can put it online or e-mail it to you. It's in Dutch though so you will first give me the time to translate it a bit.

2014-01-16 3:04 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

OK all,

I've consulted with Kim and we're going to close the door but leave it ajar.  We can take a few more, but it is time for this group to start coming together.  And while the title is "McFuzz's New Athlete Group" it is really YOUR group, not mine. 

Screen Name Name
 McFuzz Mike (M)
 Ingleshteechur Kim
 tbrownpfg Troy
 AnnPlumley Ann
 Nickhan72 Nick
 Shrekcr Matt
 Jynxy Joe
 fadullium Jon
 Mr10670 Mike
 Tridimi Dimitri
 el Penguino Nancy
 rita.trifonopoulos Rita
 Lanne Lanne
 Want2triCT Stacey

If you have not done so, please add each person to your friends list on BT.  The easy way to do that is left-click on that person's name and select "Add to friends."  Go to that person's log (you can get to friends from your blog page, or select the "friends" option in the drop-down menu under "Community" in the blue banner.  Test that you can get to their log, and leave them an inspire.  (I'm sneaky...)

Feel free to post questions and updates in this thread, but the real benefit comes from inspiring one another, so please visit the other blogs and leave that person an inspire.  As you post or inspire, please respect the other person and try to leave a positive message.  If you want to connect with one another on Facebook or other social media sites, that's fine, but the more fragmented your communications, the easier for someone who's not involved in one of those exchanges to get left out.  (I'm not on FB.

Here's one of my goals:  I'll visit the log of every person in the group at least twice a week.  I will leave them inspires. 

If you feel compelled to share something that may not be well received, draft it as a message and think on it.  If you still feel it should be sent, go ahead and deliver that message privately.  You can include Kim and me in the message, but neither of us wants to play referee to a bunch of adults. 

Use your blog!  Record your workouts and share in your blog how you feel about what you have done or are trying to do.  There is nothing wrong with saying "I dread my weigh-in tomorrow because I had pizza and beer last night (and it was sooooooooooo gooooooooooooooood!!!)" 

Here is another goal:  The group will have at least 10 out of 12 people still active and using their BT blog at the end of March.  I'll leave you inspires and I'll send you private messages if you're not active.  (If you won't be able to post, say so in your blog so I and the others don't get too worried over your absence.

Edited by McFuzz 2014-01-16 3:11 PM
2014-01-16 3:52 PM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

I added the group. In the next few days i'll be having an eye on everyone and visit their log and leave an inspire. I uploaded my workouts from the last 1,5 month. From now on, i'll try to keep it updated. I don't know if i'll write a lot in my blog because i often feel that i would just repeat myself if a training went as usual. Any unusual facts i'll try to share.

I guess we're really getting started! :D

2014-01-16 10:50 PM
in reply to: #4921078

User image

Subject: RE: McFuzz's New Athlete Group (AJAR)
Hi Nick
I am trying to teach my husband to swim ATM, he is trying to go fast without technique, mainly because he panic's a few one on one swim lessons could see you develop faster.
2014-01-17 12:57 AM

User image

Hi, I am a 41 year old mom of 3 from Sunny South Africa. For the last three years i have been an active body builder competing and training with my husband. He is the winner in various Classic Body Building competitions and has qualified for the South African nationals quite a few times. I am his biggest supporter making sure that he gets all those calories in. We live an outdoor life with biking, hiking and family above all else. Last year December I decided to change the playing fields and start training for Triathlons. I have a strong body but can see that the endurance is where the hard work will be.

I am committed, ready to go and i dont like "average" so gonna push myself as much as i can. Currently i am doubling up training doing my bike, running and swimming in the mornings after the school drop and then hitting the weight section with hubby at night. .. I know somewhere along the way I am going to have to taper the weight training and focus on the endurance. I also have only been eating a very clean high protein diet which will have to be adjusted to absorb more carbs although i am playing around with the Paleo lifestyle ( LOL i am driving my family crazy)

I am so excited about this challenge and have really made sure that i read and read and read and i just am very humbled by this sport and hope to achieve small goals along the way and learn and learn. I am hopingto compete in my first sprint on the 4th March and then build till next year February when South Africa has it's Iron man.

I have yet to build my profile and will sort it out today. I hope that i can join your group and learn from you guys as i might be quite well established in fitness but this is a whole new ball game LOL
2014-01-17 1:54 AM
in reply to: poisonivy

User image

Chelmsford, England
Originally posted by poisonivy

Hi, I am a 41 year old mom of 3 from Sunny South Africa. For the last three years i have been an active body builder competing and training with my husband. He is the winner in various Classic Body Building competitions and has qualified for the South African nationals quite a few times. I am his biggest supporter making sure that he gets all those calories in. We live an outdoor life with biking, hiking and family above all else. Last year December I decided to change the playing fields and start training for Triathlons. I have a strong body but can see that the endurance is where the hard work will be.

I am committed, ready to go and i dont like "average" so gonna push myself as much as i can. Currently i am doubling up training doing my bike, running and swimming in the mornings after the school drop and then hitting the weight section with hubby at night. .. I know somewhere along the way I am going to have to taper the weight training and focus on the endurance. I also have only been eating a very clean high protein diet which will have to be adjusted to absorb more carbs although i am playing around with the Paleo lifestyle ( LOL i am driving my family crazy)

I am so excited about this challenge and have really made sure that i read and read and read and i just am very humbled by this sport and hope to achieve small goals along the way and learn and learn. I am hopingto compete in my first sprint on the 4th March and then build till next year February when South Africa has it's Iron man.

I have yet to build my profile and will sort it out today. I hope that i can join your group and learn from you guys as i might be quite well established in fitness but this is a whole new ball game LOL

that's a great start, people forget that a strong core is what helps you through the final stages of endurance.

I look forward to your reports
2014-01-17 3:27 AM

User image

This is awesome stuff guys!

Sorry just catching up bit of a rough day and time time/day differences is tricky.

Also how do I write an inspire?
2014-01-17 3:27 AM

User image

Sorry just catching up bit of a rough day and time time/day differences is tricky.

2014-01-17 3:40 AM

User image

Very exciting times peeps!

Yesterday my tri bike shoes arrived ordered 4 weeks ago yay clip less! And bought a tri suit (transition time looking better already)

And wait for it.......
New bike tomorrow !!!!!!!

Bit excessive as I've only been doing tri's a year but, I did my first one on a mountain bike and then my husband being the typical man was like no you need a road bike so bought my first road bike last year, tomorrow trading it in for two new carbon fibre bikes! Yes two I think that's only reason I'm allowed one because DH is doing the next Tri with me and there is no way he will do it on a mountain bike bonus for me I said he couldn't have a better bike before me

So tips on clip less shoes/pedals please

Oh and my name is Lana

I have logged races and will do training soon!

Feeling inspired

Oh also if you quote someone is that a direct response and then reply is just a general post?

Edited by Lanne 2014-01-17 3:42 AM
2014-01-17 3:56 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
Originally posted by Lanne

If you want to inspire goto that persons training log and click on inspire for an individual workout.

I'll do you one.
2014-01-17 4:04 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England

Oh and my name is Lana

I have logged races and will do training soon!

Feeling inspired

Oh also if you quote someone is that a direct response and then reply is just a general post?

Yes it's as simples as clicking on if you wish to respond to someone or others will write the name.

Lana,
If you want to quote just click quote and delete whatever is non applicable.

I think you've got the hang of it anyways
2014-01-17 4:42 AM

User image

So tips on clip less shoes/pedals please

Hi Lana! One tip I have on the pedals is practice them a bunch before going out on the road with them. I switched to clipless this summer and it was good to get the feel of twisting out of the clip helped when I went for an actual ride and had to stop. And if you are comfortable adjusting them- start them out a little loose so the twist out easier, then tighten them later as you get used to the process. I love mine!
2014-01-17 6:59 AM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Lanne So tips on clip less shoes/pedals please
Hi Lana! One tip I have on the pedals is practice them a bunch before going out on the road with them. I switched to clipless this summer and it was good to get the feel of twisting out of the clip helped when I went for an actual ride and had to stop. And if you are comfortable adjusting them- start them out a little loose so the twist out easier, then tighten them later as you get used to the process. I love mine!

What kind of pedals do you have?  I have SPD (mountain bike pedals) on my tri bike and Speedplay Zero on my road bike.  The tension on the SPD pedals can be adjusted, and I'd recommend setting the tension to be as light as possible so they are easy to engage and release. 

If you have a trainer, you can practice clipping in/out on the trainer. 

Some people recommend practicing the clipless pedals in grass or something soft.  I don't like this approach for two reasons.  1)  You are subconsciously telling yourself to fail (I'm going to fall, so I'll do it in grass where it's soft.)  2)  It really is harder to ride in the grass so you're far more likely to fall. 

I recommend a different strategy.  If you normally put your left foot down when you stop on your bike, install the right clipless pedal and spend some time riding with one bike shoe (clipped in) and one regular shoe.  You can practice clipping in/out with your right foot while you can easily move your left foot on/off the regular pedal.  Once you're comfortable with the right foot, swap the pedals and practice clipping in/out on the left side.  Then you can put the clipless right pedal back on.  Does it look silly to have two different pedals/shoes?  Yea, but not nearly as silly as laying on the ground with a bicycle stuck between your legs.  (And yes, you will eventually fall over...I've done it as recently as last summer...)

2014-01-17 7:04 AM
in reply to: poisonivy

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by poisonivy Hi, I am a 41 year old mom of 3 from Sunny South Africa. For the last three years i have been an active body builder competing and training with my husband. He is the winner in various Classic Body Building competitions and has qualified for the South African nationals quite a few times. I am his biggest supporter making sure that he gets all those calories in. We live an outdoor life with biking, hiking and family above all else. Last year December I decided to change the playing fields and start training for Triathlons. I have a strong body but can see that the endurance is where the hard work will be. I am committed, ready to go and i dont like "average" so gonna push myself as much as i can. Currently i am doubling up training doing my bike, running and swimming in the mornings after the school drop and then hitting the weight section with hubby at night. .. I know somewhere along the way I am going to have to taper the weight training and focus on the endurance. I also have only been eating a very clean high protein diet which will have to be adjusted to absorb more carbs although i am playing around with the Paleo lifestyle ( LOL i am driving my family crazy) I am so excited about this challenge and have really made sure that i read and read and read and i just am very humbled by this sport and hope to achieve small goals along the way and learn and learn. I am hopingto compete in my first sprint on the 4th March and then build till next year February when South Africa has it's Iron man. I have yet to build my profile and will sort it out today. I hope that i can join your group and learn from you guys as i might be quite well established in fitness but this is a whole new ball game LOL

Welcome Jo-Anne! 

I had 3 trips to South Africa in 2012 (Joburg-Whitbank).  I was signed up for Comrades Marathon in 2013, but changed jobs and couldn't justify the trip.  I'd still like to do that. 

Clean eating was a challenge in South Africa (not that I'm overly pristine with my diet).  WIth the body building, it's important though as you get to the point end of the distribution. 

2014-01-17 7:25 AM

User image

Northlake, Texas
WOW!

A lot of activity and new friends! =) Today seems like it may be a slow day at the office so I may be able to sneak in an leave a few "inspires"

I've been logging my workouts ever since I joined BT and will continue to do so (as long as I remember) =P Any pointers/ tips would be GREAT since I'm kind of just going by what I think I should be doing... =)

2014-01-17 8:02 AM

User image

Originally posted by McFuzz

Originally posted by Lanne So tips on clip less shoes/pedals please

What kind of pedals do you have?  I have SPD (mountain bike pedals) on my tri bike and Speedplay Zero on my road bike.  The tension on the SPD pedals can be adjusted, and I'd recommend setting the tension to be as light as possible so they are easy to engage and release. 

If you have a trainer, you can practice clipping in/out on the trainer. 

Some people recommend practicing the clipless pedals in grass or something soft.  I don't like this approach for two reasons.  1)  You are subconsciously telling yourself to fail (I'm going to fall, so I'll do it in grass where it's soft.)  2)  It really is harder to ride in the grass so you're far more likely to fall. 

I recommend a different strategy.  If you normally put your left foot down when you stop on your bike, install the right clipless pedal and spend some time riding with one bike shoe (clipped in) and one regular shoe.  You can practice clipping in/out with your right foot while you can easily move your left foot on/off the regular pedal.  Once you're comfortable with the right foot, swap the pedals and practice clipping in/out on the left side.  Then you can put the clipless right pedal back on.  Does it look silly to have two different pedals/shoes?  Yea, but not nearly as silly as laying on the ground with a bicycle stuck between your legs.  (And yes, you will eventually fall over...I've done it as recently as last summer...)

I have SPDs on my bike. Luckily I could practice them in one spot, not riding on grass, which doesn't sound like fun to me. I'm sure I'll get the same for my next bike so I can have a rain bike and a nice bike. I like your suggestion though! Although you don't get to practice twisting out the foot you use the most that way. But still, either way- practice in a low stress environment!
2014-01-17 8:16 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England

Edited by Jynxy 2014-01-17 2:42 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 21

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37155 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Michael
I heard an athletic trainer say that in life we have many setbacks. The key is to overcome these setbacks, but the question is how?

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.