Other Resources The Political Joe » Michael Sams Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2014-02-10 8:07 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: Michael Sams

So, Sams, the Missouri football player about to be a high draft choice in the NFL, has come out that he is gay.  I've been listening all day to pundits and athletes giving their opinions about how it may effect locker rooms, team unity, and even fan reaction.  I've always been of the opinion that this whole deal of "coming out" is ridiculous, because who cares?  I think I'm starting to see it differently.  I'm starting to think that if high profile gay athletes, and gay people in other high profile positions don't publically come out, we'll just be stuck where we are.....basically "don't ask don't tell"....which is starting to seem stupid to me because who wants to live like that?  I don't want anyone to have to, and if it takes these people in the headlines to hurry that along......so be it.

I'm STILL a Michael Sams fan!

2014-02-10 9:17 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
Boise
Subject: RE: Michael Sams
All I know is, I hope if his draft stock falls far enough the Seahawks draft him!
2014-02-10 9:25 PM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by Left Brain

So, Sams, the Missouri football player about to be a high draft choice in the NFL, has come out that he is gay.  I've been listening all day to pundits and athletes giving their opinions about how it may effect locker rooms, team unity, and even fan reaction.  I've always been of the opinion that this whole deal of "coming out" is ridiculous, because who cares?  I think I'm starting to see it differently.  I'm starting to think that if high profile gay athletes, and gay people in other high profile positions don't publically come out, we'll just be stuck where we are.....basically "don't ask don't tell"....which is starting to seem stupid to me because who wants to live like that?  I don't want anyone to have to, and if it takes these people in the headlines to hurry that along......so be it.

Hey LB, that's nice to hear you are seeing it differently.
I've never seen the guy play, but what he's done takes guts...major guts. I'll be rooting for him.
There have always been gay NFL players. It's nice to see someone own it for the 1st time as an active NFL athlete.
I can't imagine the kind of ignorance he's going to have to put up with though.

Mike Mayock's got him pegged as a 3rd to 5th rounder.

2014-02-10 9:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

To some - including myself it's not just about coming out and letting know the world that you are gay, it's letting people know who you are. For example at work before I told people they would always ask the normal questions you'd ask a 20's something about his girlfriend / etc. It gets annoying. I know where you're coming from when you say that you don't care, and trust me I appreciate that.

You're exactly right about who wants to live in a don't ask don't tell fashion. I did for years and it tore me apart, physically, mentally and emotionally. I think it is extremely important to younger gay people out there to have these role models in high profile positions. I know I could have used more when I was growing up.
2014-02-11 12:04 AM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Master

Originally posted by Justin86

To some - including myself it's not just about coming out and letting know the world that you are gay, it's letting people know who you are. For example at work before I told people they would always ask the normal questions you'd ask a 20's something about his girlfriend / etc. It gets annoying. I know where you're coming from when you say that you don't care, and trust me I appreciate that. You're exactly right about who wants to live in a don't ask don't tell fashion. I did for years and it tore me apart, physically, mentally and emotionally. I think it is extremely important to younger gay people out there to have these role models in high profile positions. I know I could have used more when I was growing up.

Agreed.  When those at work discuss their families, what they did on the weekend, etc and I could not.   Not being out means not being able to be who you are.  You are living a lie and it is very exhausting.  Michael Sam, Conner Mertens, and those who come next are just wanting to be able to live their truth.  For now, it is news.  One day it won't be.  THAT will be when it doesn't matter, it's ridiculous, who cares.

2014-02-11 8:42 AM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Great SEC DE, think he can help a team, but three days of news on this announcement is a little over the top IMO. His sexual prefrence does not matter to me in any way and is none of my business.

2014-02-11 9:51 AM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I don't see why there has to be some big announcement. I don't announce to my family, friends and co-workers that I am hetero. If I was gay and someone at work asked about my weekend I would say my boyfriend and I did... I don't see why someone has to lie until they have some announcement party and then it is all okay.

So what the guy is gay, since when did sexual preference define a human being? I would hope there is more to people than what sex they are attracted to. Kinda like we expect there is more to people than skin color, or religious preference. 

The media is going to ruin this guys career for him. Him being gay should have been no big deal, now that the media has made it a big deal teams are going to have to think twice about drafting him. If he doesn't play well they will never be able to cut him because they will instantly be demonized as gay haters.

The media and everyone else should just get over it and leave it alone IMO. Making a spectacle out of it doesn't help him or anyone else.

2014-02-11 10:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Aarondb4

I don't see why there has to be some big announcement. I don't announce to my family, friends and co-workers that I am hetero. If I was gay and someone at work asked about my weekend I would say my boyfriend and I did... I don't see why someone has to lie until they have some announcement party and then it is all okay.

So what the guy is gay, since when did sexual preference define a human being? I would hope there is more to people than what sex they are attracted to. Kinda like we expect there is more to people than skin color, or religious preference. 

The media is going to ruin this guys career for him. Him being gay should have been no big deal, now that the media has made it a big deal teams are going to have to think twice about drafting him. If he doesn't play well they will never be able to cut him because they will instantly be demonized as gay haters.

The media and everyone else should just get over it and leave it alone IMO. Making a spectacle out of it doesn't help him or anyone else.

For sure, there is still a big part of me who thinks this way......I just don't care and I don't see what it has to do with anything. 

BUT, I'm coming around to the idea that it DOES matter to alot of people in our society, and maybe the only way to put an end to that is to have more high profile people, and people in general, let those aorund them know they are gay, and be comfortable doing it....so that those around them who don't feel like we do can come to grips with the idea that it doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

The other thing....gay people say it's helping to have these people come out......that's good enough for me.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-02-11 10:04 AM
2014-02-11 10:06 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

NC

I don't see why there has to be some big announcement. I don't announce to my family, friends and co-workers that I am hetero.

Have you ever had a close friend or family member come out to you as being gay? I've had three. Let me assure you, it is a big deal to them.

2014-02-11 10:23 AM
in reply to: Goosedog

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by Goosedog

I don't see why there has to be some big announcement. I don't announce to my family, friends and co-workers that I am hetero.

Have you ever had a close friend or family member come out to you as being gay? I've had three. Let me assure you, it is a big deal to them.

Yep I have. Most of us responded with "yep, that figures, so?" 

Making a big deal out of it defines a person by it. It has to stop somewhere otherwise you end up with the gay version of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, constantly making it a battle and creating the "us vs. them" mentality which is the original reason for the "coming out". 

I have had gay friends who defined themselves by being gay and I have had friends who were gay. Any discussion with the friends who let it define them led right back to us vs. them. My friends who happened to be gay but didn't let it define them didn't have that issue. 

If I were to have a coming out party as hetero and define myself only as a "straight man" and take the us vs. them mentality then I would likely be a Republican Senator and I would be ridiculed as such.

2014-02-11 10:32 AM

User image

NC

Making a big deal out of it defines a person by it. It has to stop somewhere otherwise you end up with the gay version of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, constantly making it a battle and creating the "us vs. them" mentality which is the original reason for the "coming out". 

I have had gay friends who defined themselves by being gay and I have had friends who were gay. Any discussion with the friends who let it define them led right back to us vs. them. My friends who happened to be gay but didn't let it define them didn't have that issue. 

If I were to have a coming out party as hetero and define myself only as a "straight man" and take the us vs. them mentality then I would likely be a Republican Senator and I would be ridiculed as such.

That was your reaction, but was it a big deal for the person coming out? Many gay kids, for a variety of reasons that are hopefully changing, are forced to conceal their sexuality from a young age. So, they are stuck with a situation that their friends and family don't know about. Hence, the need to make an announcement. This idea that you don't need to have a hetero announcement is apples to oranges - and I hope you realize it.

I can only assume that Sams knew, if he planned to live openly as a gay man, that this would eventually become a story. So, he chose to control the story. I have a hard time seeing why anyone would have a problem with that choice.

Edited by Goosedog 2014-02-11 10:35 AM

2014-02-11 10:32 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

But hetero's do come out every single time they talk about their wife/girlfriend.  While I agree that I'm really hoping that in the near future we won't have these coming out announcements because it will mean that we have reached a time when someones sexual preference means nothing.  But clearly, based on some of the comments by the NFL scouts and others that were quoted anonymously (which is pretty chicken s**t if you ask me) saying that it would interfere with locker room "chemistry" means that we aren't there yet.  

And to LB's point, that means that there are individuals that are gay that cannot yet be themselves and are essentially forced into a "don't ask, don't tell" situation and cannot be true to themselves.  

Listen, I get you.  I'm tired of it too but for the reason that I wish we, as a society at large, were past it.  And I don't think we are.  So until we are, then I'm with LB and am willing to continue to be proud of individuals like this that take courageous steps like Michael Sam has done.

Edited by crowny2 2014-02-11 10:43 AM
2014-02-11 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

That was your reaction, but was it a big deal for the person coming out? Many gay kids, for a variety of reasons that are hopefully changing, are forced to conceal their sexuality from a young age. So, they are stuck with a situation that their friends and family don't know about. Hence, the need to make an announcement. This idea that you don't need to have a hetero announcement is apples to oranges - and I hope you realize it.

I can only assume that Sams knew, if he planned to live openly as a gay man, that this would eventually become a story. So, he chose to control the story. I have a hard time seeing why anyone would have a problem with that choice.

I wish everyone had that experience when coming out - they were lucky. I knew If I would have came out when I was younger it would have been awful. I grew up in an extremely homophobic environment (lucky my parents were not). It would have been hell. Until society changes this is still going to happen to many, many people. Like I said before It really helps when you see a high profile person come out. People respect them and just maybe it can help influence their beliefs.

Goosedog said it perfectly. I had to come out because my family and friends had misconceptions about me and who I really was. Why wouldn't I want to correct them? To do this you have to come out. And unless you have had to do it, I'm sorry you have no idea how difficult it can be - even to those that you know don't care.
2014-02-11 10:56 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I guess I could say I'm of the same mindset.

IMHO the statement "it's who you are" or "it's who I am" is taking away from the real person that you are.  If anything it sets an individual apart more than the aspect of being gay IMHO.  It's not who you are.  You are a man or a woman who is great because of "who you really are" not because of who you like to look at when you are at the pool.  My identity is through my faith, family, and friends not that I'm attracted to women and it shouldn't be any different for someone who is gay.

2014-02-11 11:47 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Elite

Originally posted by tuwood

IMHO the statement "it's who you are" or "it's who I am" is taking away from the real person that you are.  If anything it sets an individual apart more than the aspect of being gay IMHO.  It's not who you are.  You are a man or a woman who is great because of "who you really are" not because of who you like to look at when you are at the pool.  My identity is through my faith, family, and friends not that I'm attracted to women and it shouldn't be any different for someone who is gay.

Ya, I guess I don't get the "Official Proclamation" part. He came out to his team last year. So if his team knows, "everyone" knows. So it isn't a secret.

I also understand to some it is a big deal and if it helps them out, then that's cool. People with spotlights can help others with that spot light. Good for him.

I also understand that this is just one among many... and many of those "many" do exactly what we talk about... live their life open, no official proclamations... but we just don't hear about any of them... they just go on with their lives. so we only get to see this one event publicly.

And I do like "sacrifice" or "courage". To make this announcement right before the draft... some team will pass just because they do not want the distraction alone.

2014-02-11 11:52 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by powerman

Ya, I guess I don't get the "Official Proclamation" part. He came out to his team last year. So if his team knows, "everyone" knows. So it isn't a secret.

I also understand to some it is a big deal and if it helps them out, then that's cool. People with spotlights can help others with that spot light. Good for him.

I also understand that this is just one among many... and many of those "many" do exactly what we talk about... live their life open, no official proclamations... but we just don't hear about any of them... they just go on with their lives. so we only get to see this one event publicly.

And I do like "sacrifice" or "courage". To make this announcement right before the draft... some team will pass just because they do not want the distraction alone.

I didn't follow the whole story, but did he "make a proclamation" like a press release sort of thing recently or did the media just pick up on this in the last few days because he was openly gay and everyone knew it and heading into the draft?

2014-02-11 12:30 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by powerman

I didn't follow the whole story, but did he "make a proclamation" like a press release sort of thing recently or did the media just pick up on this in the last few days because he was openly gay and everyone knew it and heading into the draft?

He had an interview where he came out on ESPN.  That is essentially what the interview was about. He and his agent made the decision.  I'm guessing because they wanted to get in front of it before it was leaked and he then would have had to do damage control even though it shouldn't be damaging.

2014-02-11 12:31 PM

User image

NC

He gave an interview. As I understand it, he came out to his team last year, but it wasn't public beyond the team. I think he came out to his parents very recently. I was not under the impression that everyone knew it heading into the draft.

2014-02-11 12:44 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Rather unfortunate that in our "drama news" society he had to "get out in front of it" and hope that he would do better in the draft if he got to put his own spin on it. If the media wasn't so desperate for something like this to latch onto and push an agenda, he could have told the people that matter (family, friends, teammates) then entered the draft based on, oh I don't know, his ability to play football, and the rest would have been a non issue. 

2014-02-11 12:46 PM

User image

Pro

Rather unfortunate that in our "drama news" society he had to "get out in front of it" and hope that he would do better in the draft if he got to put his own spin on it. If the media wasn't so desperate for something like this to latch onto and push an agenda, he could have told the people that matter (family, friends, teammates) then entered the draft based on, oh I don't know, his ability to play football, and the rest would have been a non issue. 

He'll still be drafted based on his ability to play football.....because he can PLAY. 

2014-02-11 12:47 PM

User image

NC

Totally agree that it will be nice once this isn't an issue. But what agenda do you think the media is pushing? If this was truly a non-issue that we shouldn't even bother discussing, there wouldn't be an agenda to push.

2014-02-11 12:50 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
In case you'd like to read up on his decision to announce this, here's a good behind the scenes.

http://www.outsports.com/2014/2/9/5396036/michael-sam-gay-football-...
2014-02-11 12:50 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Totally agree that it will be nice once this isn't an issue. But what agenda do you think the media is pushing? If this was truly a non-issue that we shouldn't even bother discussing, there wouldn't be an agenda to push.

I believe their agenda would be ratings. 

2014-02-11 12:58 PM

User image

NC

I believe their agenda would be ratings. 

Absolutely.

2014-02-11 1:03 PM

User image

Elite

He'll still be drafted based on his ability to play football.....because he can PLAY. 

And that I definitely agree with. God knows we could use him. He will still go high... I just think one or two will pass because something else is more important and they don't want the drama. Not by him... but what will come with him from the media. Tebow.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Michael Sams Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 3
So what is behind the Infinit line of custom nutrition products? We took a trip to the Infinit world headquarters and conducted an in-depth review of the Infinit Nutrition product.

date : January 2, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on the 'pull', swim phases, emulating Michael Phelps, the glide, dragging feet, interval training, and going backwards when kicking.
date : January 1, 2006
author : Michael
comments : 7
I have made great strides over the last few years to be a better swimmer, but this was really screwing with my head.

date : September 4, 2005
comments : 5
But just when I was beginning to think that life is consumed by only darkness, just out of my sight, there it was...A glimmer of light.
date : September 13, 2004
comments : 29
22 week program taking you from the couch to the finishline.

date : September 2, 2004
comments : 0
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.