Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Need a new stove - gas or electric? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-03-29 1:46 PM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: Need a new stove - gas or electric?

Our stove is going out. We currently have an electric flat top which I have never really loved. Reasons - I hate cleaning it, have a hard time getting the temp right, want to use iron skillet but it is not recommended, then the whole pan size has to fit the burner issue bugs me and if a pan is warped at all it does not cook evenly.

I am wondering if I would be happier with a gas range? Any opinions? We would have to have some lines run and have someone coming out to give us an estimate on Monday.

2014-03-29 2:03 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Subject: RE: Need a new stove - gas or electric?
I like my electric flat top range. Gas is a b!tch to keep clean. Plus, the real advantage of gas was temperature regulation. But without pilot lights and electric ignition, low isn't low enough for a simple simmer.

I have a Samsung and I miss my GE. That rangetop was fantastic. The Samsung changes temp too slow for my liking.
2014-03-29 3:46 PM

User image

Master
MidWest

My ex-husband insisted we have a gas stove when we married, both in the apartment and in the houses we owned.  I really didn't think it mattered all that much UNTIL I was visiting my parents.  They have an electric stove and I couldn't cook anything on it without burning it.  For instance,when the item was done cooking I turned off the appropriate burner only to realize that off isn't truly off in an electric, thus burning the dish I was cooking.  First I thought it was my inexperience cooking on an electric stove but it happened again while cooking at my son's apartment.      

Even my children look for places to live that have gas stoves!!!

2014-03-29 9:46 PM

User image

Calgary, AB

Gas all the way.  Instant on, instant off -- can't beat it!

Plus I just love the concept of an open flame in the house.  It'll satisfy your inner pyromaniac.  

2014-03-29 9:48 PM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Gas stove. During several hurricanes when the power was out we were still able to cook.
2014-03-30 12:14 AM

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by trigal38

Our stove is going out. We currently have an electric flat top which I have never really loved. Reasons - I hate cleaning it, have a hard time getting the temp right, want to use iron skillet but it is not recommended, then the whole pan size has to fit the burner issue bugs me and if a pan is warped at all it does not cook evenly.

I am wondering if I would be happier with a gas range? Any opinions? We would have to have some lines run and have someone coming out to give us an estimate on Monday.

Yes, flat-tops suck for all of the reasons you listed.   Gas is vastly superior to nearly all electric stoves.     The only electric I have not cooked on is induction.   If you have aluminum cookware, you'll have to buy steel, I believe.

Being able to cook when the electric is off is also very nice.  

2014-03-30 9:06 AM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

gas is by far better than electric!  however - if your house isn't plumbed for a gas range it may quickly become a more expensive option!  i know when i looked into replacing my awful electric stove with gas that was the point where i put the brakes on.

2014-03-30 11:23 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I've had both gas stoves are FAR superior for all the reasons mentioned above.
2014-03-30 2:56 PM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Bronze member

Ok, now I'm all set on gas.  DH says there is already a gas line in the basement right below the location of where our stove is so fingers crossed it is not a major ordeal to get this idea to work.

I looked at induction and thought that sounded like a great idea. I read you could test your current pots & pans with a magnet but none of ours worked.

2014-03-30 3:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Gas for sure, the house I grew up in had electric, that thing sucked. My parents finally did a retrofit and put gas in, much much better. Our house came with gas, very happy with it. 

We have a cast iron grill pan we use when it is too nasty outside to bbq, works great with the gas stove.

Edited by Aarondb4 2014-03-30 3:02 PM
2014-03-30 10:26 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Once you go gas you never go back.

I love cooking on gas, just moved into my girlfriends town home with an electric. Every evening I must reminisce of the glory days...

2014-03-31 5:48 AM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Gas for sure, especially if you like to do a lot of Asian-style stir-fries. It's so much easier to quickly raise and lower the temperature, and the whole idea of stir-fry is based on cooking quickly at high temps. I've always had gas in China and Vietnam; my parents in Oregon have electric, and I vastly prefer gas. The only drawback might be if you plan to do a lot of dishes that need to simmer at a low heat for a long time, or you make complicated sauces or something. For the former, I'd just invest in an electric slow cooker. For the latter, you just have to stand there and hold it above the burner--not a huge inconvenience unless you're an aspiring Martha Stewart.
2014-03-31 6:28 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by Hot Runner Gas for sure... I've always had gas in China and Vietnam... I vastly prefer gas. The only drawback might be you make complicated sauces. ...you just have to stand there and hold it ... not a huge inconvenience unless you're an aspiring Martha Stewart.

hee hee. 

2014-03-31 8:03 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Aiya...you're reading it in exactly the way my fifth grade boys would!
2014-03-31 8:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

My father-in-law used to sell Magic Chef gas ranges years ago.  To people who made the complaint that you can't turn gas down to simmer, he had a salesman gimmick to show that a gas range could simmer at a lower heat than an electric.  He would put the burner on lowest setting and put a piece of paper on it.   It would just brown a bit but not catch.  The same test on an electric range (of the day) would catch fire.  He claimed that if the burner jets were clean that you could control the flame down to a very low setting.  I know that at low flow, the burner would have a greater chance of going out.

We have a gas range in our condo and a electrical ranges in the other places.  I cook on successfully both.  Sauces do fine on our gas range.  Mostly I use a double boiler for sauces containing egg anyway.  This pretty much eliminates any concern about low simmer problem.  If you make Hollandaise, be sure to use a chrome pan.  There's no place like chrome for the Hollandaise.

It's a good thing.

MS

Edited by tech_geezer 2014-03-31 8:38 AM
2014-03-31 8:38 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-03-31 9:11 AM

Master
Englewood, Florida

I cooked professionally for over 15 years. Every kitchen I ever worked in had gas stoves. It looks like you are seriously considering making the jump to gas, if it is feasible. You won't regret it. Good Luck!

2014-03-31 9:33 AM

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by trigal38

Ok, now I'm all set on gas.  DH says there is already a gas line in the basement right below the location of where our stove is so fingers crossed it is not a major ordeal to get this idea to work.

I looked at induction and thought that sounded like a great idea. I read you could test your current pots & pans with a magnet but none of ours worked.

If you already have the gas line in, it should be very simple-- a matter of hooking it up, possibly a new valve, and calling your gas co to turn it on.  I did this in a house and it was < $50. 

You mentioned in the OP that you cooked with an "iron skillet"--cast iron absolutely works with induction.  I don't know about the rest of your pots, but cast iron works.  I cooked on two different induction stoves while on holiday, and they were "fine" but I would take gas over induction every time. 

You  may want to consider a dual fuel range--gas for the stovetop and electric (with convection) for the oven. 

I am in the process of choosing a new oven too.  So women like jewlery or shoes, I LOVE kitchen stuff :)

2014-03-31 10:51 AM

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I prefer gas.  When you talk "gas" are you in town with natural gas hookups to the utility infrastructure or out in the country with a propane/compressed natural gas tank that you call to have filled?  I'd still lean towards gas either way, but if you have a propane tank, you risk running out if you aren't paying attention to fuel level.  

2014-03-31 12:40 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I agree that gas is better for cooking.

But I just wanted to mention that electric with the glass top is FAR easier to clean.    Cleaning under burners is no longer needed and there's a product you can buy to clean the top.  I wipe it normally for weeks and then every once in a while use the polish that removes all stains very easily. I've been using the same bottle of cleaner for more than 8 years.    I didn't know if folks knew about that.

2014-03-31 1:14 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

I agree that gas is better for cooking.

But I just wanted to mention that electric with the glass top is FAR easier to clean.    Cleaning under burners is no longer needed and there's a product you can buy to clean the top.  I wipe it normally for weeks and then every once in a while use the polish that removes all stains very easily. I've been using the same bottle of cleaner for more than 8 years.    I didn't know if folks knew about that.

x2

On a recent vacation (opposite of someone else's experience) we had a gas stove and the it was the WORST to try and clean. Like, we would have needed toothbrushes to get into those places. We did the best we could and left with no worries because a cleaning/management company was coming after us, but it would drive me batty in an everyday situation.

2014-03-31 1:43 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Sensei
Sin City

I'll chime in with everyone a love my gas stove...  HOWEVER, after talking to some local chefs, they love induction and many times, preferred it to gas.  I would never get the electric flat tops or coils, but would STONGLY consider induction if I didn't have a gas available.  Induction is efficient and doesn't have the problems that standard electric has (mostly the cycling of on or off and the abilities to run very low temps) AND super safe.  The pan get's hot, not the stove top so less chance to burn yourself or melt/damage things.

2014-03-31 2:14 PM
in reply to: Kido

Pro
Omaha, NE

As pretty much everyone else has mentioned gas is far superior to electric in almost every way when it comes to cooking.

However, when it comes to cleaning, there is nothing that beats an electric glass top in my experience.  We've owned several gas stoves over the years and somebody always manages to boil something over on the stove and it gets to be a real mess trying to clean it up.  I've had some real science experiment stoves due to all the "gunk" that finds it's way under the burners.

We currently have an elextric glass cook top that's built into our counter and I will never own anything else.  We've lived in the same house for 11 years and that thing has had pretty much daily use with tons of boil overs and some windex and a razor blade is all it takes to make it look as good as new.  It looks as shiny new today as it did the day we moved in.
Yes, there are some drawbacks for cooking, but I've found if you get good quality pans with a thick solid base the heat distributes very evenly.  Once you get used to the heat zones it's almost as good as gas.

No matter what, it's a personal thing.  I rank being able to keep it clean way above the better cooking aspect with gas.

2014-03-31 7:53 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by Hot Runner Aiya...you're reading it in exactly the way my fifth grade boys would!

Sweet!  I graduated from 3rd grade to 5th grade and skipped 4th grade entirely!

2014-04-01 6:02 AM

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Maybe you're still reliving the developmental stage you skipped? I skipped Grade 7 and sometimes have been accused of certain middle school like habits, like thinking orange, green and purple look great together, collecting crazy socks and earrings, and laughing so hard I fall over.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Need a new stove - gas or electric? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Replace or Repair Stove

Started by wwlani
Views: 1323 Posts: 20

2012-04-23 10:02 PM wwlani

Any Pellet Stove Owners?

Started by Fatdoggy
Views: 781 Posts: 2

2008-07-12 5:24 PM mikep

New at the gas pumps....

Started by tupuppy
Views: 467 Posts: 2

2006-06-20 2:29 PM Drewwhite

Need Gas Grill Help... Pages: 1 2

Started by jldicarlo
Views: 1888 Posts: 26

2006-01-30 2:21 PM mnflyfish

Need a new bike rack (car)...suggestions needed Pages: 1 2

Started by Comet
Views: 2727 Posts: 46

2005-09-20 2:07 PM 3558
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 22, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Confused about how much protein you need, when you need it, and the best kinds of protein? The following article answers some of the questions active people commonly ask about protein.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : May 19, 2011
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : January 1, 2011
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : February 22, 2010
author : mrakes1
Discussions on caloric needs for weightloss and workouts plus whole wheat breads.

date : November 11, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Sleep is one of your answers to keep the doctor away. But how much is enough sleep? We'll discuss the benefits of getting a proper amount of sleep and the risks of not getting enough.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?

date : June 17, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?