Tour of Pembrokshire
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 10h 11m 19s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got my kit together the night before and went to bed at 11:30. Awoken by my daughter climbing in to bed at 02:00, and again at 02:30 by the thought that I had slept in for my alarm. Alarm went off at 0345 and I was out the door and on my way for the 110 mile trip to the race start.

Got to the event no problems. The area was well signposted and marshalled. Quickly went through registration process and was back to the car to get changed. Once changed, checked over the bike and kit and went across to the start line to grab a coffee and loo break. Didn't bother with breakfast, felt a bit sick, probably adrenaline and lack of sleep.

Had just enough time to drink the coffee and then line up for my start, quick read of my tag by the marshal, and I was off...
Event warmup:

Coffee
Bike
  • 10h 11m 19s
  • 110 miles
  • 10.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow, that was probably the toughest thing I have had to do in a very long time. Hadn't quite appreciated just how hilly the course was. Garmin had it as 10, 131 ft gained, which is by far the most I have ever climbed to date. The hills were relentless. It wasn't helped by the driving rain and hail, and the constant head/cross wind. Seriously, having to pedal and push out 200 watts DOWNHILL and still only managing 10 mph, WTF?

Part way through the course, about the 70 mile mark, I was having a serious conversation with myself. Something along the lines of...
" WTF are you playing at? Who do you think you're kidding? You're sheeet at swimming, cycling and running, just give it up. Sell all the kit (at this point I was calculating what I would roughly get for it all) and spend your free time doing something that doesn't hurt. Right, that's it, I'm giving this up after this. Selling the kit and buying a campervan. Anything that doesn't involve going up fecking hills. Just need to keep going to get to the next feed station so I can get on the sweep wagon and go home"

I had 15 miles of that conversation before I got to the next aid station. And what a joy to see. They had a roaring chimnea blasting out lovely warm air. Hot tea, hot potatoes, faggots, wraps Mmmmmmmm. Spent a good 5 minutes there and felt rather good :) thought about it and realised it was only another 25 miles to go, with only about another 1.5k ft of climbing left. Doddle pffft. So I set off...

I was seriously lagging now, mostly getting overtaken than overtaking, but I didn't care, 'cos I was still moving forward, relentless forward progression :) It was only 11 miles before the next feed station, and that was my aim. I hadn't decided whether or not to stop at that station, it was just a marker to aim for. About 2 miles from the aid station I got a puncture in my rear wheel. Seriously, all the times I've been out with clinchers on and have never got a puncture, been out about 5 times with tubular tyres and got 2 punctures. I though tubular's are supposed to be tougher? Stopped and pumped in a cannister of air and cracked on trying to get to the aid station.

Bliss, the aid station was set in a pub with a big open roaring fire. The proprietor was giving out free teas and coffees too. He also allowed me to repair my tyre in the pub :) Well, it's not ideal changing a tub whilst on a ride, luckily I was carrying a spare tubular and glue tape. So I set about removing the old tyre, glue, transferring the valve extenders etc and re-gluing a new tub to the wheel. All in all, it took me 45 minutes, which I didn't think was too bad considering the state I was in. Pumped it up to 140 psi and set off for the last 13-15 miles toward the finish line.

The hills were quite gentle for the last bit, but when you can see the cathedral spire of the city where you're finishing in the distance, and you're skirting around it, it felt an eternity. When you come in to the city, they routed the route through the grounds of the 12th century cathedral before turning up the hill to ride through the centre to the finish line.

I can say, I was so glad that it was over, and so elated to have completed it.
To put my ability and the requirements of the course into context, last year I failed at the Wales sportive as I didn't make the cut off. At the time, I put it down to the hills, the heat and poor nutrition. Well, the overall elevation on that course is 4220 ft, which although is hilly, it pales into insignificance when comparing it to this course. On reflection, I think I did well on the ride compared to my ability. The ride was just too hard for my fitness level at the moment, but, now that I have completed it, I feel I should be able to tackle the Wales sportive in July with some confidence.
What would you do differently?:

Carry on putting in the bike training, with climbing etc.
Lose weight, 14 lb down, another 14 lb to go.
Slim down the weight on the bike, carrying too much kit.
Decide a tactic for punctures, either go all clinchers, all tubs etc, and carry tub sealant rather than a spare tub and glue.
Nutrition was good on this ride, but could do better. Need to force myself to have breakfast, also, didn't take on anything until the 2 hour mark. where I had my 1st gel. In total, I had 5 gels, 1 banana, 1 ham wrap, 1 high 5 energy bar, 2 x soreen malt loaves(about 40 grams ea), 2 cups of tea with sugar :)
Post race
Warm down:

Got changed in my car, went over and got a pulled pork roll of the food tent. Went back to the car and left the celebrations being held in the bar :( for my 110 mile car ride back home. Treated myself to a McD's with large milkshake on the way home. Just how I roll.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ascents, carp at climbing. Need to continue practising and shedding the weight.

Event comments:

Would definitely do it again, with more experience and fitness.

Last updated: 2013-10-16 12:00 AM
Biking
10:11:19 | 110 miles | 10.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Moving time was 8:55, which would give a 12.3 mph average. Bit of a hold up 15 miles from the end, but more on that later.
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: The course runs from St David's, the UK's smallest city, which is a very picturesque part of Wales situated on its west coast, facing the Irish Sea. The route was well thought out, in my opinion, although some of the descents felt quite dangerous as they were on cliff tops, with loose, rough road surface and a wind blowing in from the sea blowing you off course. The views would have been spectacular if it weren't for the fact that I couldn't see anything for the driving rain and hail getting blasted at me. Most of the course was run on quiet, single tracked roads, with little traffic. However, this made it, ummm, interesting when you did meet at car on a bend when descending at speed.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 66
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-04-27 6:51 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Subject: Tour of Pembrokeshire

2014-04-27 8:36 AM
in reply to: #4987608

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Tour of Pembrokeshire

Ah, training's overrated ... DEAR GOD, MAN, what you ate would barely be a suitable breakfast for a bloody TEN HOUR RIDE in the mountains in what amounts to a typhoon!

Super job Dazzers.

2014-04-27 9:07 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Great job Darren, but how sore is your butt?
2014-04-27 1:21 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Good job, Darren!  You hung in there, pushed yourself through the mental garbage, and made it all the way to the finish.  I know you think it was too hard for your fitness level, but given the conditions and the course, you really handled it well.  Again, good job.

2014-04-27 5:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
Way to push through it all. Nice ride!
2014-04-28 6:38 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Dude, you are toughness personified! Great job in persevering through it.

2014-04-28 7:57 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

So familiar with that conversation with self :"why am I doing this?"...Awesomeness that you completed given the shote storm of stuff going on!

2014-04-28 10:18 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Pennsylvania

Darren, the adventures/races you never cease to amaze me, nor does your dogged perseverence.  Wow, 10,000+ feet of climbing in rain, wind and hail?  Changing a tubular in a pub?  Fighting off your inner demons, soldiering on to finish the race?  You are one BAMF!   Congrats!!!  I just love reading your race reports.

2014-04-28 10:25 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master

I have the "I am never doing this again" conversation every event I do .  Awesome job on finishing!  Hope you are feeling ok today.

2014-04-28 12:23 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Holy CRAP does that ever sound fecking hard!  

You continue to amaze me with your abilities to not only find these crazy-arsed races, but also your perseverance to COMPLETE the crazy-arsed races once you've found them!  

(I also love that they serve tea during the race!)  

Well done!  

2014-04-29 9:26 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by cdban66

Dude, you are toughness personified! Great job in persevering through it.

TOTALLY!!

I mean I like hills but DAYUM!!!

2014-04-29 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I agree with the others. You are hard CORE to complete the races you do! And your reports are amazing! Drive 110, ride 110 then drive 110 again! DAYUM!!!  And the food/drinks they have at your races are awesome! Nice job! Glad you're not giving up. We'd miss you

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tour of Pembrokeshire Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Mutual Community Challenge Tour (STAGE 4 TOUR DOWN UNDER)

Started by Casie
Views: 1617 Posts: 4

2009-02-04 1:17 AM kaqphin

Pembrokeshire Half Marathon & 10km Runs

Started by FlamingButtocks
Views: 1352 Posts: 3

2006-10-02 1:14 AM IM

Pembrokeshire Cycle Challenge

Started by FlamingButtocks
Views: 1107 Posts: 1

2006-06-11 4:54 PM FlamingButtocks

TOSRV West (Tour Of the Swan River Valley)

Started by Flyboy
Views: 1404 Posts: 4

2005-05-22 3:47 PM G8RSAX

MS 100k Tour the Vinyard

Started by Antelope
Views: 782 Posts: 1

2005-05-19 9:11 AM Antelope
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 11, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
"Fandom" in triathlon compared to other sports. If you're a sports fan and simply love to follow sport, why pick a sport that may offer a view of the start, the finish and a few moments in between?

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
comments : 0
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.