BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-02-17 3:09 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Uh oh. HELP!!!!

Coach Michi just posted on FB that one of their runners dropped out for Ragnar THIS WEEKEND!  They need someone to run 4 legs totalling 22.8 miles!

I am so tempted! I've always wanted to do a Ragnar. It's a point to point, not one of the camp and run ones. I think I could handle the mileage since there are breaks.

AAAARGH!    Thoughts?

Ummm first, was your long run last week 50% of your total volume?

Have you run 22 miles in a week yet? In 30 hours? 

How long has it been since you have run calf pain free?

Yes, Yes, No and several weeks...

Duuuude, didn't you read Daniels?

If I were you, I would think about my long term goals. Then I would plan training and racing to best set myself up for success there.

And seriously, I would hate to see you injured. You really shouldn't have your long run be such a huge portion of your volume. Especially coming off of an injury. Especially if you were hoping to BQ. 

If your goal is to run willy, nilly, here and there from injury to injury, then do it. 

Or, keep the end in mind, heal, improve and run the marathon you want to run. Ragnar ain't going anywhere.

Not often you find the voice of reason in this group...

BTW, which Higdon plan are you using?

His Novice 1 plan

You mean that's not a legit goal

You're all correct. My emotion got the best of me. I hope they find a runner.

I'm not seeing this as being a good idea at this time either. Getting excited about doing stuff is still a good thing though. So is recognizing the usefulness of getting second opinions. No one can figure everything all the time.

Also, didn't really ask, but if you've gone all the way down to a Higdon Novice 1, are you still feeling ok towards doing the marathon? I'm thinking more long-term development as Adrienne brought up. Not really that big on such lopsided plans. Mileage for a marathon can help with running in general, but the distribution like this drags the effectiveness back down some. More would come from learning to handle a stronger plan for a smaller event (Ragnar included).

2015-02-17 3:16 PM

User image

Master

Hi all!  I'm back from sunny California.  Disneyland was great .  I felt very fortunate to be able to be there with my whole family and the weather was amazing.  

I was worried on Thursday night before we left that we were going to be denied a third time (first was 3 years ago when my dog was diagnosed with cancer a week before we were to leave, second was last year when my brother had emergency surgery).  I had called my mom to talk to her about her dog and she was acting strangely on the phone, couldn't remember what she had done that day, asking same questions over and over, kept saying she was confused and like she just 'came to', didn't know where some items that were in her kitchen had come from.  I took her to the ER, she had a full workup for a stroke, but no evidence was found and by the time we left she was totally normal.  She had a similar episode in 2003 after my dad (they were long separated) passed away, only that time she had complete amnesia, didn't know who she was even.  *I* think that she gets overwhelmed by whatever, and her brain just says "Okay, enough, gotta shut off for awhile".  I can only think that it is a psychological event, since no physiological cause has ever been found, despite a ton of tests the last time.   She had been sick for about a week and had not been able to do many of the things that she wanted to prior to going away, including cleaning her house for the pet sitter.   Anyway, since she was back to normal, and no evidence of a medical issue was found, we all got to go and have a great time.  She has since been to the stroke clinic and they too say she is fine so we shall just carry on.

I followed along with posts while I was gone, but I am not even going to try and catch up with everyone.  I will just say to Yanti and her fur family: get better please!

2015-02-17 3:29 PM
in reply to: #5075498

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Awww come on! You guys already crushed my Ragnar, now you want to take away my marathon too!?
2015-02-17 3:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner Awww come on! You guys already crushed my Ragnar, now you want to take away my marathon too!?

We're just setting you up for success at Pike's Peak

Nah, I had just thought you were doing a different plan. I think Higdon is good for getting people out of the door with some sort of frequency but do not think his beginner plans set anyone up for success. 

*I should disclose, I trained for my very first marathon using a more advanced Higdon plan. I finished the race but it left much to be desired. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-02-17 3:36 PM
2015-02-17 3:41 PM
in reply to: #5094048

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
I think when I was looking for a plan I wanted something with five days a week but couldn't find anything that started where I was coming back off an injury and getting me to where I needed to be in the number of weeks.
2015-02-17 4:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by rrrunner Awww come on! You guys already crushed my Ragnar, now you want to take away my marathon too!?

FTR - I said do it!

(you should always take running advice from the cyclist)

2015-02-17 7:29 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL

We're just setting you up for success at Pike's Peak

Nah, I had just thought you were doing a different plan. I think Higdon is good for getting people out of the door with some sort of frequency but do not think his beginner plans set anyone up for success. 

*I should disclose, I trained for my very first marathon using a more advanced Higdon plan. I finished the race but it left much to be desired. 

And not really trying to talk out of the marathon, but rather taking a step back and looking at the situation. Does the marathon still make sense to do? There are still good reasons to go forward with it. That's entirely up to you how much to weigh everything. In the middle of trying hard to get things done it can be tough to re-evaluate and see if the reasons for trying are still there.

2015-02-18 2:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by cdban66

Uh oh. HELP!!!!

Coach Michi just posted on FB that one of their runners dropped out for Ragnar THIS WEEKEND!  They need someone to run 4 legs totalling 22.8 miles!

I am so tempted! I've always wanted to do a Ragnar. It's a point to point, not one of the camp and run ones. I think I could handle the mileage since there are breaks.

AAAARGH!    Thoughts?

Ummm first, was your long run last week 50% of your total volume?

Have you run 22 miles in a week yet? In 30 hours? 

How long has it been since you have run calf pain free?

Yes, Yes, No and several weeks...

Duuuude, didn't you read Daniels?

If I were you, I would think about my long term goals. Then I would plan training and racing to best set myself up for success there.

And seriously, I would hate to see you injured. You really shouldn't have your long run be such a huge portion of your volume. Especially coming off of an injury. Especially if you were hoping to BQ. 

If your goal is to run willy, nilly, here and there from injury to injury, then do it. 

Or, keep the end in mind, heal, improve and run the marathon you want to run. Ragnar ain't going anywhere.

Not often you find the voice of reason in this group...

BTW, which Higdon plan are you using?

I'm with the others on this one - I don't think that you should do it.

Edit: Man I really should read backwards because it looks like you have decided not to now anyway.

Edited by StaceyK 2015-02-18 2:17 AM
2015-02-18 7:55 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

TJ, every time I've trained with a plan it has been a Higdon plan. They are good, like Adrienne stated, at getting you to the starting line. I think they are for completers, not competers. And given your desire to come back from injury and your statement that BQ is not your primary goal, it will serve you well. 

As races go, I understand the Ragnar pull. I had an opportunity in early January to do The Keys with a team, but they found someone else rather quickly, in much the same way yours happened. I think Ragnar will "always" be available in that way, but you have to be ready. If I were doing 30 to 40 miles a week, then maybe I'd jump in at that point. I wouldn't feel too comfortable if I were doing much less then that, as the combination of sleep, comfort, and mileage in that short time period (and that environment) would be a sure prescription for injury for me. After 3 or 4 years, I am finally starting to understand that my body can handle more than I have been throwing at it, but cautiously so. 

I know Anne-Marie did one of these types of races a while ago. The logistics of it all seem as much work as the running, if not more so.

2015-02-18 8:09 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Oh hai. I am still exhaustepoodled. Like this.

So is Lisa Labradog. We're resting.

Yes, I said RESTING and yes, this is Yanti. I think.

2015-02-18 11:25 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Oh hai. I am still exhaustepoodled. Like this.

So is Lisa Labradog. We're resting.

Yes, I said RESTING and yes, this is Yanti. I think.

Glad to see you're both resting.  Hope you're both feeling better pronto.  Did the vet figure out what was up with Lisa-dog?

2015-02-18 1:06 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by IronOx

Hi all!  I'm back from sunny California.  Disneyland was great .  I felt very fortunate to be able to be there with my whole family and the weather was amazing.  

I was worried on Thursday night before we left that we were going to be denied a third time (first was 3 years ago when my dog was diagnosed with cancer a week before we were to leave, second was last year when my brother had emergency surgery).  I had called my mom to talk to her about her dog and she was acting strangely on the phone, couldn't remember what she had done that day, asking same questions over and over, kept saying she was confused and like she just 'came to', didn't know where some items that were in her kitchen had come from.  I took her to the ER, she had a full workup for a stroke, but no evidence was found and by the time we left she was totally normal.  She had a similar episode in 2003 after my dad (they were long separated) passed away, only that time she had complete amnesia, didn't know who she was even.  *I* think that she gets overwhelmed by whatever, and her brain just says "Okay, enough, gotta shut off for awhile".  I can only think that it is a psychological event, since no physiological cause has ever been found, despite a ton of tests the last time.   She had been sick for about a week and had not been able to do many of the things that she wanted to prior to going away, including cleaning her house for the pet sitter.   Anyway, since she was back to normal, and no evidence of a medical issue was found, we all got to go and have a great time.  She has since been to the stroke clinic and they too say she is fine so we shall just carry on.

I followed along with posts while I was gone, but I am not even going to try and catch up with everyone.  I will just say to Yanti and her fur family: get better please!

Wow Kirsten, I really hope all is OK with your mom. That sure sounds like a scary deal.

2015-02-18 2:21 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, CO

Hi, all.  Quick check-in.  Shoulder and hip are doing better, knee feels fine except when I was walking in the snow a couple days ago.  We'll see what happens when I run.  I'm now back to doing some log-able stuff, like foam rolling, a bit of PT, and some stairs.  Started up the PT again last night and I can definitely tell.  Who knew that standing on one leg 3x for 60 sec. each was so much work?! I'm going to the pool on Friday and can't wait.  Just 20 min. of aquajogging and/or swimming, but even so, it's better than nothing.  It's been hard to see all the runners out on the 65* days and I was even jealous on Monday when I saw a guy running while it was snowing.  I even told my coach that I'm willing to do strength workouts and you all know how much I love THOSE.  Yup, I'm definitely ready to get back to work!

2015-02-18 2:46 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Wow - great races, racers!

Yanti, heal up (again again) soon.  We were just talking about making a Chikungunya diagnostic product last week - wish it could have helped you (or that it was a therapeutic product for you!).

Janyne, I just re-read the DCR post (did I ever mention to the pod that we stayed in the apartment under his in Paris last April when we went with the family? He and TG were heading to Boston for the Marathon, as we left Boston for Paris somewhat ironically, but we overlapped by a couple days - SOOPER nice, by the way) found here DCR 920 Review.  Turns out that you can get cadence through either the HRM or the watch, but VO and GCT only from the HRM.

OK, back to the salt mines!

Matt

That's pretty cool! Every time a new product comes out I always check his blog. BTW saw on Strava you got the new 920. I got mine about a month ago and so far I'm really liking it.
2015-02-18 11:02 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Uh oh. HELP!!!!

AAAARGH!    Thoughts?

DO IT!  It's a crazy experience, but it's really fun.

ETA: I was clearly just the "have fun" vote and didn't check logs.  Obviously, you shouldn't listen to me.  

Edited by Artemis 2015-02-18 11:04 PM
2015-02-19 8:57 AM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

So there are 20mph S winds for Saturday's forecast.  While most riders here are all "what are we going to do?", I'm at my computer mapping northbound Strava segments into my route...

2015-02-19 9:14 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by msteiner

So there are 20mph S winds for Saturday's forecast.  While most riders here are all "what are we going to do?", I'm at my computer mapping northbound Strava segments into my route...

Those are training partners!

2015-02-19 9:14 AM

User image

Melon Presser

One of the many reasons I adore you, Mississippee

I don't feel like I'm dying nor feel like dying today, so there's that.

Been focusing on and doing what I CAN do.

2015-02-19 9:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Well not feeling like you're dying is a good first step.  Keep on getting better!

2015-02-19 9:41 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
It's shiny new bike time.
Naked carbon with d12 ultegra.
Need to get a bike fit. I think the seat post Will Need Cutting But WILL Check out when pedals go on this weekend. Hopefully I'll get out to get a nice pic for the gallery when this rain has washed all the salt away and it's dry

Edited by Richardsdrr 2015-02-19 10:02 AM

(Ribble Bike.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Ribble Bike.jpg (115KB - 4 downloads)
2015-02-19 9:51 AM

User image

This makes me happy!

2015-02-19 10:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Guilty. 

<aaaaaahhhh... sweet stravasfaction>

2015-02-19 10:30 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Richardsdrr It's shiny new bike time. Naked carbon with d12 ultegra. Need to get a bike fit. I think the seat post Will Need Cutting But WILL Check out when pedals go on this weekend. Hopefully I'll get out to get a nice pic for the gallery when this rain has washed all the salt away and it's dry

bikepornhotlikeyummysuitsyou.

2015-02-19 10:47 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Richardsdrr It's shiny new bike time. Naked carbon with d12 ultegra. Need to get a bike fit. I think the seat post Will Need Cutting But WILL Check out when pedals go on this weekend. Hopefully I'll get out to get a nice pic for the gallery when this rain has washed all the salt away and it's dry

bikepornhotlikeyummysuitsyou.

Agreed!!!!!!!!!!

2015-02-19 11:01 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Seattle

Love the matte black!!!! 

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54639 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.