of 97

2015-01-05 3:52 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by BrotherTri Good to see you all. But where are the girls?
If you guys would stop geeking it up maybe they would join

Maybe James should post some of those early 80's photos I have heard rumors of?

2015-01-05 3:54 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by ChrisM

Well, according to Matt Fitgerald's "Racing Weight" book I didn't do so well either. He says an 8 percent increase over racing weight is ok, and might even be good for you ("racing" weight isn't "healthy" weight). Note that he also makes a distinction between true "racing weight" and simply "what you weighed during the last training season." This summer I raced right at 142lbs, which I pegged as my true "racing weight" (hard to believe that for YEARS I thought it was 156lbs!?!?!). I found I can easily maintain 144lbs for a coupe, of months, particularly in season, and 146~148 indefinitely, so long as I am diligent with what goes in my mouth. My plan was to not go over 150lbs during the holiday, but then I got sick for a week and then no training due to packing up the house (right in the middle of all the holiday parties) and BAM! 156lbs on New Year's Eve. MyFitnessPal is fired back up, and I am headed in the right direction. Funny how quickly you lose those first three or four "inflammation" pounds once you quit drinking calories....

Damn, I was doing well with the first part of your post, then got to the bolded.....

Yeah, he makes kind of a big deal about that distinction.

2015-01-05 3:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by BrotherTri Good to see you all. But where are the girls?
If you guys would stop geeking it up maybe they would join

Maybe James should post some of those early 80's photos I have heard rumors of?

Jeez, they're all over facebook!   

Edited by ChrisM 2015-01-05 3:56 PM
2015-01-05 3:57 PM

User image

Originally posted by ChrisM  I tend to wear (hide) my weight well

I know I am a little pudgy when people start saying "you look good," rather than "dude, eat a burger or something...."

i have seen you before, during and after a race. You do not look like a heavy guy. Not at all. It's hard to believe you were over 180 at Silverman.

Yeah, I actually just looked up my silverman weight and I was about 195

Which is strange to me, as in my head I am HUGE!  

2015-01-05 4:50 PM

User image

For those that haven't tried it yet, use the "add to favorites" button at the top right.  Makes it super easy to find any thread no matter where it is.  Doesn't matter if it's in staging, live, or archived.  To find it again, just click on "my favorite threads."  Boom.

2015-01-05 4:57 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by spudone

Name: Mark
Race focus: IM
Current training: Bike focus; starting some running rehab following a calf injury.
This year's races: Alcatraz, IM Barcelona
Weather preference: I didn't mind cold until Tahoe.  No more of that, thank you.

I've been a part of this group for awhile now.  I started triathlons in 2009, after "retiring" from my soccer days due to knee problems.  I prefer IM distance, finished my 7th last summer at Canada, and I try to race in at least one new venue each year.

I'm in the Seattle area, so for better or worse, winter season is mostly indoor training.

Alcatraz and Barcelona - that's cool.  

2015-01-05 5:14 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

So as a continuation of the discussion from the previous thread, James this is an example of an interval I did recently that shows how the Stages can really mess with the data.  I don't see much fluctuation in L/R balance based on fatigue but I certainly see it in my cadence choice.

The red line in the middle is my L/R balance (above the line is left, below is right).  Blue line is cadence, yellow is power.  At the very beginning of the interval my cadence was lower and my balance was right dominant, I then shifted and my cadence went up to the low 90s and I go left dominant.  Then towards the end, I shifted again and my cadence went down to mid 80s and I go back to right dominant.

During the left dominant section, my AP was 331w, cadence 93 with a L/R balance of 51.3/48.7%.  A stages PM would have said my AP was 340w.
During the right dominant section, my AP was the same 331w, cadence 87 with a L/R balance of 48.9/51.1%.  Stages would have my AP at 324w.

If you only had a Stages PM, you would have to conclude that you put out less power at a lower cadence.

I see it over and over again my rides (on the trainer at least).

(LR-cadence.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
LR-cadence.jpg (51KB - 10 downloads)
2015-01-05 5:18 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N

So how has everyone made it through the holidays weight wise?  I didn't fare so well.  It just seemed like there was another lunch, dinner, celebration, or box of donuts being thrown in front of me.  I also took some time off the bike between xmas and new years to let myself recharge a little.  Fitness definitely took a hit, but at the same time I also feel pretty fresh.

Time for a bit more structure into my riding...looking forward to getting back at it.

Holidays were unkind (or too kind) to me - weight this morning was 175.  Myfitnesspal was re-enabled to get me back in the 160s.

2015-01-05 6:02 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
I get it, but because it is a measurement from as single crank arm does the in balance really matter for L/R? Should it not just measure the one side? So that display is from what Stages software or is that something else?

2015-01-05 6:21 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by BrotherTri I get it, but because it is a measurement from as single crank arm does the in balance really matter for L/R? Should it not just measure the one side? So that display is from what Stages software or is that something else?

That's from my Power2Max which does L/R measurement.... sort of.  It's not true L/R in that it measures them independently.  It just assumes that all the power on the downstroke is from a particular side and that the upstroke is providing little to no power.

2015-01-05 6:34 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
I'm back but will always have variable ability to follow closely. And this group is clearly the finest collection of SBR mentors on BT.

Name-Dale

Story-Typical for an aging athlete...hurt running in 2011 which led to cycling and considering triathlon. Some training followed by aggressive ramps into long course. First completed tri=Quassy 1/2 IM 2012. Second was IMLP 2012. Now, year 5 and working on consistency. Also learning to bike with power and swim with some sort of reasonable form. Presently, it's all about that base, for running.

Races-2014 had 3 sprints (with my kids doing their first triathlons last year-age 17 and 19), and 2 half-IM (Quassy and Savageman)
This year, I only have SOS on the calender after being lucky enough to get in. Will plan to do some odd B/R/S/R/S and R/S/R/S bricks in the summer...ha!

Looking forward to another year of learning. I was thrilled to be involved in the power Mentor group and we are lucky to have Marc here, along with Shane (hopefully), and about a dozen guys/gals that could be mentors on their own.

---Jason, you should put OPEN in the group name to let people know the group is permanently open. Thanks for starting it!
The thread is currently still in the staging area so I doubt there will be a lot of action until it is truly 'OPEN'.

2015-01-05 6:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

before you go out and buy a 920xt, check out the Garmin VivoActive

2015-01-05 7:04 PM

User image

This year, I only have SOS on the calender after being lucky enough to get in. Will plan to do some odd B/R/S/R/S and R/S/R/S bricks in the summer...

Congrats on SOS.  Any questions, feel free to ask.  I might know the answer,,,,,  then again I might not

Edited by ChrisM 2015-01-05 7:04 PM
2015-01-05 7:14 PM

User image

Originally posted by marcag before you go out and buy a 920xt, check out the Garmin VivoActive

Now that is pretty cool...

2015-01-05 7:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by BrotherTri I get it, but because it is a measurement from as single crank arm does the in balance really matter for L/R? Should it not just measure the one side? So that display is from what Stages software or is that something else?

That's from my Power2Max which does L/R measurement.... sort of.  It's not true L/R in that it measures them independently.  It just assumes that all the power on the downstroke is from a particular side and that the upstroke is providing little to no power.

Argh!  Now I need to add another power meter to add to the Quarg.

Just when I thought I had enough toys... 

Weight here is up a bit.  165-167 last few weeks.  RacING weight has been right about 160 (+/- one pound) the last couple HIMs, but RACE weight should probably be closer to 157, if it was something I held only for a month or so at a peak (and maybe even less, although a neighbor back in MA thought I had fallen very ill - and was asking other neighbors if I had cancer... seriously - when I was at ~160). I'm about 5'8" (was taller before I went bald... in my early 20's!), but kind of dense. 

Yes, I heard it even as I typed it.

Matt

2015-01-05 7:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by marcag before you go out and buy a 920xt, check out the Garmin VivoActive

DOUBLE ARGH! 

No.  More.  Toys! 

I got the 920xt from Santa (lucky guy), so I'm actually all set.  So far (knock wood), I love it.

Matt

ETA:  I do kind of wonder, having read only the digest version of the VivoActive, why the heck I have a 920.  What doesn't the Vivo do that the 920 does to justify the significant price differential.  I'm sure that's obvious to someone more in the know, but I kinda wonder why Garmin would release that just after the 920 and potentially people off (?).  What am I missing?

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2015-01-05 7:37 PM

2015-01-05 7:52 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Jeez, spend the afternoon actually working and a new SBR U thread pops up, goes a couple pages, geeks out, and the girls' whereabouts are questioned.  I'm here!!  And I don't mind the geek stuff....I like it!

I'm Nicole and got into the triathlon scene in 2012.  I had an injury that kept me from really training or racing for a year (just kept me from running, but that's kind of a big component!), so 2014 was my first full year.  I did three tough HIM races (St. George, Buffalo Springs, Mont Tremblant) and learned a lot from them that I hope to put to good use this year.

I didn't come from an endurance sport background (former gymnast), so all three sports are new to me.  I tend to be in the top 10-15% of the swim and bike, but solidly MOP on the run, so I've been focusing on my run this winter.  It has not come easily or naturally to me, but I know it's a work in progress, so I'm trying to be patient and enjoy the journey.

Went on a "cold" run tonight -- I guess it was probably 45F or so.  I wasn't really feeling it for whatever reason (first time in a few weeks that I wasn't, but convinced myself to go out because it's supposed to rain all weekend and I'm not sure I can handle three days of treadmill runs!), but as I was coming back toward the house, the moon was just rising.  Not sure if anyone else saw it tonight, but as it was still low in the sky, it was bright orange and huge.  All I was thinking to myself is, "How lucky am I to get to see this?!?!"  And even though I was cold and running at a slow pace, it made it totally worth it  

2015-01-05 8:13 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

DOUBLE ARGH! 

No.  More.  Toys! 

I got the 920xt from Santa (lucky guy), so I'm actually all set.  So far (knock wood), I love it.

Matt

ETA:  I do kind of wonder, having read only the digest version of the VivoActive, why the heck I have a 920.  What doesn't the Vivo do that the 920 does to justify the significant price differential.  I'm sure that's obvious to someone more in the know, but I kinda wonder why Garmin would release that just after the 920 and potentially people off (?).  What am I missing?

I was thinking the same thing.  Battery life is maxed at 10 hours for GPS use, but unless you're doing IM, that shouldn't be an issue for most people.  DC Rainmaker did an initial review today, and it seems that the VivoActive lacks some of the in depth training metrics that the 920 has...but that doesn't mean they won't be available in the future.  For example power.  Seems like the VivoActive has ANT+ capability, but out of the box won't read ANT+ power meters.

Still though, as someone who will always have a dedicated bike computer, the main things I would look for in a watch is good GPS connection while running, ability to swim with it, and bluetooth uploads.  The fact that this watch can do all of that, along with some other cool smart watch features...at a price lower than both the 920 and the 910...makes it very intriguing.  It's a good thing I don't run or swim much anymore.

2015-01-05 8:20 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Jeez, spend the afternoon actually working and a new SBR U thread pops up, goes a couple pages, geeks out, and the girls' whereabouts are questioned.  I'm here!!  And I don't mind the geek stuff....I like it!

I'm Nicole and got into the triathlon scene in 2012.  I had an injury that kept me from really training or racing for a year (just kept me from running, but that's kind of a big component!), so 2014 was my first full year.  I did three tough HIM races (St. George, Buffalo Springs, Mont Tremblant) and learned a lot from them that I hope to put to good use this year.

I didn't come from an endurance sport background (former gymnast), so all three sports are new to me.  I tend to be in the top 10-15% of the swim and bike, but solidly MOP on the run, so I've been focusing on my run this winter.  It has not come easily or naturally to me, but I know it's a work in progress, so I'm trying to be patient and enjoy the journey.

Went on a "cold" run tonight -- I guess it was probably 45F or so.  I wasn't really feeling it for whatever reason (first time in a few weeks that I wasn't, but convinced myself to go out because it's supposed to rain all weekend and I'm not sure I can handle three days of treadmill runs!), but as I was coming back toward the house, the moon was just rising.  Not sure if anyone else saw it tonight, but as it was still low in the sky, it was bright orange and huge.  All I was thinking to myself is, "How lucky am I to get to see this?!?!"  And even though I was cold and running at a slow pace, it made it totally worth it  

nice job getting out there and seeing the January 'Wolf' full moon. I saw it tonight and knew it was in full effect as our hospital was B-U-S-Y today...
even though it was very alluring and mesmerizing up there in the sky

• ..but...45 degrees is not really cold to us here in NE...I ran yesterday in the 19 degree weather with 3 layers on and even that wasn't really 'cold'. (Of course to Jason, it was certainly frostbite weather-ha!)

• No whining unless it's a negative number of degrees!

(JK- )

Keep up the good, consistent work with the running-it will pay huge dividends later on.
    2015-01-05 8:31 PM
    in reply to: dtoce

User image

We had a cold front roll through last week.  People were posting pictures on facebook showing it got all the way down into the high 50's.

2015-01-05 9:00 PM

User image

Pro
    NJ

Hey guys. Saw the moon rising tonight as I was crossing the GW bridge. Pretty spectacular. 

I'd like to continue dropping by with the occasional question. This group has been a terrific resource. I'm Kim. Live in NJ. I'm slow at all 3 sports and like to train more than race. 2014 was a bust. I broke my right wrist early in the year and took things pretty easy while in a cast. In May had a bike crash that took out my right shoulder. Multiple fractures, torn rotator cuff etc. I had surgery and have spent the last seven months rehabbing. BTW, I used to be right handed. I'm now pretty ambidextrous. You can rewire the brain.  No clue what I'll do in 2015 as I may need more surgery on the shoulder. Currently signed up for a couple half marathons. Right now I'm on the trainer - using Golden Cheetah (Come on Rusty) and the workouts that Marc and Shane put together for the power mentor group last year. I've also started trying to swim again. It's not pretty. Lastly, my family and friends told me over the holidays I look better with a little extra weight so it's time to pay attention to the diet and cut back on the ice cream. 

Edited by kcarroll 2015-01-05 9:09 PM

2015-01-06 2:46 AM
    in reply to: dtoce

User image

Elite
    PEI, Canada

Originally posted by dtoce
    Originally posted by ligersandtions No whining unless it's a negative number of degrees! (JK- )

Another reason to switch to metric....

2015-01-06 3:25 AM
    in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
    PEI, Canada

DOUBLE ARGH! 

No.  More.  Toys! 

Matt

I was thinking the same thing.  Battery life is maxed at 10 hours for GPS use, but unless you're doing IM, that shouldn't be an issue for most people.  DC Rainmaker did an initial review today, and it seems that the VivoActive lacks some of the in depth training metrics that the 920 has...but that doesn't mean they won't be available in the future.  For example power.  Seems like the VivoActive has ANT+ capability, but out of the box won't read ANT+ power meters.

Still though, as someone who will always have a dedicated bike computer, the main things I would look for in a watch is good GPS connection while running, ability to swim with it, and bluetooth uploads.  The fact that this watch can do all of that, along with some other cool smart watch features...at a price lower than both the 920 and the 910...makes it very intriguing.  It's a good thing I don't run or swim much anymore.

Agreed, it's certainly intriguing.  I'll be keeping an eye on it after it's out and people have had a chance to use it for a while.

2015-01-06 5:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

DOUBLE ARGH! 

No.  More.  Toys! 

Matt

Agreed, it's certainly intriguing.  I'll be keeping an eye on it after it's out and people have had a chance to use it for a while.

I just got my 910xt replacement back from Garmin. I think I'm on my 4th. The altimeter is a known weakness. My latest theory is that because I wear it for 2 workouts per day and I am a pretty good sweater, the salt, chlorine....clogs it up.

I was going to sell it and look at the 920

I may try the Vivoactive for day to day workouts and keep the 910 for racing. Both options would cost me about the same thing.

I tried the 920 on, and for me, is not ideal for day to day use as a regular watch. But I love it's feature set.
    The Polar, while nicer looking, really dropped the ball with power meter support. I am very glad I didn't buy that one.
    With Connect IQ, this vivoactive could become a very cool watch.

2015-01-06 6:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

DOUBLE ARGH! 

No.  More.  Toys! 

Matt

I just got my 910xt replacement back from Garmin. I think I'm on my 4th. The altimeter is a known weakness. My latest theory is that because I wear it for 2 workouts per day and I am a pretty good sweater, the salt, chlorine....clogs it up.

I was going to sell it and look at the 920

I may try the Vivoactive for day to day workouts and keep the 910 for racing. Both options would cost me about the same thing.

I tried the 920 on, and for me, is not ideal for day to day use as a regular watch. But I love it's feature set.
    The Polar, while nicer looking, really dropped the ball with power meter support. I am very glad I didn't buy that one.
    With Connect IQ, this vivoactive could become a very cool watch.

No Marc, you are wrong. This is the watch you want

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/01/garmin-fenix3-firstlook.html
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
    date : March 15, 2013
    author : writingrunner
    comments : 1
    The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
    author : MultisportWorld
    comments : 0
    Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
    date : December 12, 2004
    author : Team BT
    Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
    author : Ron
    Everything you want to know (and then some).